Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Tour of Canada - June 29-July 1, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Upon the invitation of the Government of Canada,
the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall
will tour Canada between June 29 and July 1, 2017.

The visit is in connection with the Canadian Confederation's 150th anniversary.
They will visit Ontario, Nunavut and the Capital Region.

Governor General David Johnston said in a statement he is pleased Charles and Camilla have accepted the government of Canada’s invitation.

“Sharon and I will be delighted to welcome Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall to Canada as we celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation,” Johnston said in a statement.

“…We are pleased they are joining in the sesquicentennial festivities, and look forward to Canadians having the opportunity to showcase the very best that our country has to offer.”

This will be the 18th visit to Canada for The Prince of Wales and the fourth visit for The Duchess of Cornwall. The couple most recently visited Canada in May, 2014.

Read more: Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall to visit Canada | CTV News

Looks like quite a brief trip.

I suppose they will stay for more than that

Hopefully the Lord and the Lady of the Isles have a great time in Canada!!

The Prince and the Duchess's visit begins today, June 29, in Iqaluit, Nunavut.

Today's engagements:
-Administrative arrival to Canada
-Official Welcome Ceremony to Canada at the Legislative Assembly of Nunavut
-The Prince: Language Preservation Event in the Legislative Chamber
-The Duchess: Women and Wellness Event
-The Prince: Research Institute Environmental Event
-Community Feast at Sylvia Grinnell Territorial Park
-Farewells and administrative departure from Nunavut (to Ontario)

Full itinerary here

Love the pictures. Camilla's smile is funny and warming. I hope they're enjoying the windy trip so far.

Order of Canada Appointments

His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales,
K.G., K.T., G.C.B., O.M., A.K., Q.S.O., C.C., C.D., P.C., A.D.C.
London, United Kingdom

For his global philanthropic leadership, notably for his commitment to supporting Canadian charitable activities and for his enduring support of Canada’s service men and women.

This is an appointment to the Extraordinary Companion category of the Order of Canada.

Last edited:
I would've laughed too. That was beyond weird and funny.

That is such a funny video! I would have been in stitches if I'd been there!

Mmmm she should be more careful. It could be seen as a sign of disrespect and used against her.
Surprised that the DM didn't pick up the story with the headline "Camilla insults locals during Canadian Tour"

Mmmm she should be more careful. It could be seen as a sign of disrespect and used against her.
Surprised that the DM didn't pick up the story with the headline "Camilla insults locals during Canadian Tour"

Charles was laughing too. If there was a headline like that, they better include him in it. Although, I think it was harmless laughter. The whole thing sounded funny.

Remember when Kate smiled greeting an aboriginal during her tour of Australia? People here were up in arms with faux outrage. Can't imagine the response if she burst out laughing during a cultural ceremony.

Although, I think it was harmless laughter. The whole thing sounded funny.
It may have been harmless, and to many, Inuit throat singing sounds "funny". It is, in fact, a traditional Inuit skill that takes a lot of practice. It is not intended to be funny. It is just good manners to take care with one's reactions unless one knows it is appropriate. Smiling, laughing when the singers end (because the singers often do), is fine, but laughing during the performance is not. The video shows Camilla giggling, and Charles taking it up, and I would have found that behavior offensive.

Last edited:
Remember when Kate smiled greeting an aboriginal during her tour of Australia? People here were up in arms with faux outrage. Can't imagine the response if she burst out laughing during a cultural ceremony.
The Kate haters had gone crazy, as they always does when she (according to them) ''messes up''.

Day 2:

Article from the DF with many pictures:
Rain falls as Charles and Camilla travel to Ontario | Daily Mail Online

Article with videos and a live video who returns when they are doing engagements:
Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall to pay tribute to soldiers at CFB Trenton | CTV News

Two videos from the CTV article about today's visit:

15 min video - Lloyd Robertson and Richard Berthelsen say the Royal visit is an important statement about Canada's connection with the monarchy:
CTV News Channel: Royal visit 'a statement' | CTV News

4 min video - CTV Royal Commentator Richard Berthelsen discusses why it is significant that the Royals visit CFB Trenton during the Canada 150 tour:
CTV News Channel: Royals to honour fallen soldiers | CTV News

Video of the arrival:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo9LIXUwBK0

Last edited:
:previous:

Does anybody recognise the brooch Camilla is wearing today?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if Camilla broke into HM's umbrella stash before she left for Canada. :D

Inuit ladies do throat singing for fun; they laugh the most when they perform. The Prince knew this as he has hosted Inuit at his home in Wales, this is why he was freely enjoying the performance.:lol:

:previous:

Does anybody recognise the brooch Camilla is wearing today?

From day two? Yes, it's her regimental badge. She is colonel in chief of the queen's own rifles of Canada. The maple leaf in background and the number 2 are both part of the regimental badge. She wears it in Canada on military related events.

As for Camilla laughing I didn't take it as bowling over in laughter, it seemed more in amusement. Charles was as well. I dint see any insult being made or taken. Any more than Kate insulted anyone.

Inuit ladies do throat singing for fun; they laugh the most when they perform. The Prince knew this as he has hosted Inuit at his home in Wales, this is why he was freely enjoying the performance.:lol:

Exactly.

It is one of the things about which Charles is very sensitive and I am sure he would have checked the current procedure and whether it would be correct to smile, laugh, be serious etc and acted accordingly. He would also have ensured Camilla did the same thing.

The difference between Charles and William is that Charles reads his briefing notes while William has admitted that he can't be bothered and things like how to react are included in those notes if there is any question that the royal concerned may not know.

From day two? Yes, it's her regimental badge. She is colonel in chief of the queen's own rifles of Canada. The maple leaf in background and the number 2 are both part of the regimental badge. She wears it in Canada on military related events.

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom