Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 27: January 2015-Sept 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 27: January 2015-

My only point of criticism is that Charles has in recent weeks taken to using an Audi eTron SUV as his official car. I so do wish he would continue to use the Jaguar IPace he used last year or his Bentley. At a trying time like this, support from Prince Charles for the British automotive industry would not go unnoticed.

The IPace is made in Austria, whilst JLR’s HQ is in Coventry it’s a subsidiary of Tata Motors, an Indian based company.

If he was driving the Bentley Bentayga Hybrid last year, then that would be a shout for the British motor industry.

But I really don’t think it matters what Charles is driven in, all three cars are completely unaffordable to an average person so won’t provide any boost to the manufacturers.

However The Queen was due to go to Bentley before lockdown, it would be nice for Charles to go.

The IPace is made in Austria, whilst JLR’s HQ is in Coventry it’s a subsidiary of Tata Motors, an Indian based company.

If he was driving the Bentley Bentayga Hybrid last year, then that would be a shout for the British motor industry.

But I really don’t think it matters what Charles is driven in, all three cars are completely unaffordable to an average person so won’t provide any boost to the manufacturers.

However The Queen was due to go to Bentley before lockdown, it would be nice for Charles to go.

I appreciate the global nature of supply chains and international nature of shareholdings in most businesses. However, Jaguar and Bentley remain British brands, irrespective of their foreign ownership, just like Tetley tea, Fortum & Mason and Land Rover. I would much rather see the BRF in cars made by British brands than German ones.

I appreciate the global nature of supply chains and international nature of shareholdings in most businesses. However, Jaguar and Bentley remain British brands, irrespective of their foreign ownership, just like Tetley tea, Fortum & Mason and Land Rover. I would much rather see the BRF in cars made by British brands than German ones.

We will have to agree to disagree as the only British brand you list is Bentley. All others are as foreign as Audi. Jaguar & Land Rover are also one company, have been for at least 7 years if not longer.

Surely it doesn’t matter what car Charles is driven in when he should be praised for choosing an electric model of any type.

We will have to agree to disagree as the only British brand you list is Bentley. All others are as foreign as Audi. Jaguar & Land Rover are also one company, have been for at least 7 years if not longer.

I think you put it well, that it is best to agree to disagree on this point.

Bentley is as foreign or as British as Mini, Jaguar and Land Rover in that it is foreign owned, but assembled in Britain, using parts that come from all over the world. I appreciate some JLR models are assembled abroad as well, but that is the case with most manufacturers of scale.

Surely it doesn’t matter what car Charles is driven in when he should be praised for choosing an electric model of any type.

Some agreement there. I agree in the inherent relative efficiency of an electric motor to that of an internal combustion engine. However, till you get to the point of the vast majority of our power being from renewable sources, electric cars don't really move the argument on materially.

Last edited:
Thank you to eya & iceflower.:flowers:

Very moving.

Wonderful ceremony. Great seeing Charles and Camilla there, and hearing him speak. :flowers:

It was good to see Charles and Camilla there today. My great-uncle fought in Burma. He didn't talk about it much apparently and sadly he died when I was very young, so I never got the chance to talk to him about it. We have a compact mirror he bought in India when he was on his way to Burma that he later gave my great-aunt as a birthday gift and he also still kept his gun from his time in the army underneath his bed (now in the local war museum).

Charles and Camilla are, basically, the Regent couple in all but name.
I guess the Queen will not appear in public for a long, long time ...

Yes indeed, but who would deny their right to spend as much time together as they want. As things stand circumstances decree that they should do so because counting guests, VIP's and royal hosts ably supported by their staff, the numbers would be over capped.

Charles and Camilla are, basically, the Regent couple in all but name.
I guess the Queen will not appear in public for a long, long time ...

Indeed - I think it has worked out rather well for the British Royal Family.
The Queen has a valid reason to reduce her workload, and to spend more time with her husband, without appearing work-shy to those who would think that way.
And the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have a valid reason to carry out more high-profile duties by standing in for The Queen.

Court Circular 18th June:
Clarence House

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon received The President of the French Republic and afterwards, to commemorate the Eightieth Anniversary of the formation of the French Resistance during the Second World War, attended a wreath laying ceremony at the Memorial statues of the late King George VI and Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in the Mall, London SW1, and subsequently laid a wreath at the statue of General de Gaulle in Carlton Gardens, having been received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London (Sir Kenneth Olisa).

Court Circular 9th July:
Clarence House

The Prince of Wales, Royal Founding Patron, Business in the Community, and The Duchess of Cornwall this morning visited Asda Distribution Centre, Kings Weston Lane, Avonmouth, and were received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of the County and City of Bristol (Mrs Peaches Golding).

Their Royal Highnesses this afternoon visited Turnbull and Asser, Sabre Close, Quedgeley, and were received by Mrs Jane Jenner-Fust (Vice Lord-Lieutenant of Gloucestershire).

Court Circular 20th July:
Clarence House

The Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, and The Duchess of Cornwall this morning visited Tintagel Bridge, Tintagel, and were received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Cornwall (Colonel Edward Bolitho).

Court Circular 21st July:
Clarence House

The Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and The Duchess of Cornwall, Patron, Cornwall Community Foundation, this morning visited Treverbyn Community Hall, Treverbyn Road, Stenalees, and subsequently met children from Treverbyn Academy, having been received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Cornwall (Colonel Edward Bolitho).

Their Royal Highnesses afterwards visited St Austell Healthcare, the Wheal Northey Centre, St Austell, Cornwall.

Court Circular 15th August:
Clarence House

The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall, this morning led the Nation in an Act of Remembrance at the National Memorial Arboretum, Croxall Road, Alrewas, to mark the Seventy Fifth Anniversary of VJ Day and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Staffordshire (Mr Ian Dudson).

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall read poetry for #NationalPoetryDay.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall @ClarenceHouse
Today is #NationalPoetryDay, the annual day that encourages everyone to enjoy, discover and share poems. [Open book Lower left fountain pen]
We hope you enjoy this new reading of William Wordsworth’s ‘Ode: Intimations of Immortality’ by The Prince of Wales.
More to come from The Duchess of Cornwall soon…
7:08 PM · Oct 1, 2020·Twitter Media Studio​

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall @ClarenceHouse
Here is a second new poetry reading to listen to on #NationalPoetryDay - The Duchess of Cornwall recites W.H. Auden’s ‘Night Mail’.
HRH is a supporter of @Poetry_Together, an initiative that brings together school children and older people to recite poetry.
#PoetryTogether2020
8:01 PM · Oct 1, 2020·Twitter Media Studio​

Last edited:
The PoW and Duchess of Cornwall are to travel to Germany at the end of the Week.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/wales...remembrance-commemorations-in-germany-152353/

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will visit Germany on Sunday 15th November to commemorate the country’s National Day of Mourning.
Their Royal Highnesses will will attend the Central Remembrance Ceremony in Berlin to commemorate the occasion 75 years on from the end of the Second World War.
This visit will mark an important moment in the Anglo-German relationship as Charles and Camilla will become the first members of The Royal Family to ever take part in Remembrance commemorations on German soil.
The visit is being undertaken at the request of the British Government following an invitation from the President of Germany, Frank-Walter Steinmeier.

This is very significant & very much to be welcomed. H.E. The President of Germany was at the Cenotaph service in 2018.

Yes it is and will be wonderful to see the Prince and Duchess in Germany.

It's occurred to me that there is a huge significance with this gathering. It's a testament to those that fought and died on both sides for what they believed in. The world is better for their sacrifices and those that are being mourned are being mourned by a gathering of mourners that, at the time of WWII, were on opposite sides of the battlefields.

Reminds me of the Christmas Truce of 1914. "What Happened During the Christmas Truce of 1914? Starting on Christmas Eve, many German and British troops fighting in World War I sang Christmas carols to each other across the lines, and at certain points the Allied soldiers even heard brass bands joining the Germans in their joyous singing."

https://www.history.com/topics/worl...the Christmas,Germans in their joyous singing.

Slightly off topic here but you might be interested in this cartoon. Although obviously made for children it's rather sweet.

This is very significant & very much to be welcomed. H.E. The President of Germany was at the Cenotaph service in 2018.
Yes this is incredibly significant. I wish that as WWII veterans that HM and the DoE would have been able to make this journey and attend the event, but I am pleased to see the PoW and DssoC are going.

Going slightly off topic, I am pleased that there have been attempts to bring Allied and Axis veterans together to meet.

https://people.com/human-interest/english-german-world-war-ii-veterans-meet-anniversary-d-day/

Yes this is incredibly significant. I wish that as WWII veterans that HM and the DoE would have been able to make this journey and attend the event, but I am pleased to see the PoW and DssoC are going.

Going slightly off topic, I am pleased that there have been attempts to bring Allied and Axis veterans together to meet.

https://people.com/human-interest/english-german-world-war-ii-veterans-meet-anniversary-d-day/

That’s so beautiful. It reminds me of the Christmas Eve truce in WWI and, much earlier, the way Union and Confederate soldiers reunited decades after the Civil War had ended...

Here are some photos and a video of the signing of the Golden Book in Berlin at Bellevue Palace with the German President and his wife:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** video **

The Prince of Wales laid a wreath at the Neue Wache Central Memorial, the Duchess of Cornwall laid a posy in remembrance:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** video **

Last edited:
The speech of The Prince of Wales was very impressive and partly in German. It was a pleasure to listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom