The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-26-2005, 08:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Charles's interest in architecture and urban planning

from The Washington Post

Prince Charles to Accept Scully Prize at Building Museum

Wednesday, October 26, 2005; Page C10
Prince Charles will accept the prestigious Vincent Scully Prize at the National Building Museum while making an official visit to Washington with his wife, Camilla, next week.
In announcing the award yesterday, the museum sought to recognize the prince's long-standing interest in architecture and urban planning.

Prince Charles will be honored for his efforts toward historical preservation and urban planning. (Matt Dunham - AP)

Old 02-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

THE Prince of Wales has found a fresh target for his withering hatred of modern architecture. He branded a university building where he was addressing a gathering of paratroopers today a “dustbin”.
The oval-shaped Ivor Crewe building at Essex university in Colchester was described by an architectural critic recently as a building which “surprises and shines with its unusual design and the material mix of stainless steel and glass.

Prince Charles says modern architecture is rubbish - Times Online

Old 02-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

With the North American term it sounds even worse--the paratroopers would be meeting in a "garbage can."

Old 02-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
With the North American term it sounds even worse--the paratroopers would be meeting in a "garbage can."
Apparently, they were all in fits of laughter over his very apt description!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
...and the ´dustbin´...the comparison isn´t so bad, i think...
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
The comparison really is an insult to dustbins everywhere!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The comparison really is an insult to dustbins everywhere!
It really is. What on earth were they thinking?

Mind you, some modern architecture is beautiful, and I wish Charles wouldn't paint with such a broad brush when he criticises it. There are cities that have been greatly enhanced by IM Pei's buildings, for example. Between the Dulles Airport building and the extension to the art gallery, I'd say Washington DC has been improved by modern architecture.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

As a vociferous cheerleader for the environment and certain types of classical architecture, Prince Charles has never been afraid of a challenge.

Charles takes on China to save Ming dynasty houses from Beijing's concrete carbuncles | Environment | The Guardian

They are names that evoke sun- drenched orchards lost in the mists of time... Bloody Ploughman, Forty Shillings and Duck's Bill.
But apples such as these, long absent from our fruit bowls, could be making a comeback - thanks to Prince Charles.

Royal to the core: Charles aims to rescue long-lost apple varieties| News | This is London
Old 06-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

I guess that's what I like about Prince Charles: he's never been afraid of challange and always went for what he thought was right.
Thank you for posting the articles, Skydragon!
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Serene Highness

It's great to see him interested in perserving not only British architecture, but in other nations as well. Just in time for the Olympics too!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Royal Highness

Over 1000 heritage buildings in Caithness are worthy of restoration

5th August 2008

A new report launched by HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay today (Tuesday 5th August 2008) identifies 1350 vernacular buildings in Caithness worthy of restoration.

The Prince of Wales - Over 1000 heritage buildings in Caithness are worthy of restoration
Old 08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

His willingness to take a stand and say what he thinks about these matters is one of the things that has always endeared me to Prince Charles. His opinions might not always be right, but he has them and is prepared to state them and, perhaps more importantly, do something about it.

I'm particularly keen on his position regarding the apples. I had a collection of about 30 heritage apple varieties in Sydney, but couldn't bring them when we moved north because the winters aren't cold enough. To my great pleasure I found two low-chill "tropical" apple trees in the garden here. There are apple varieties which can be traced back to Roman times. They all have a story and are part of British history, and I applaud Charles' decision to preserve them to ensure they remain in cultivation.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

A new eco-friendly village inspired by one set up by Prince Charles in Dorset is to be created in Flintshire.

BBC NEWS | Wales | North East Wales | Royal village inspires developers
Old 08-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Two quotes from the article. Members with longer memories will recall the criticism Poundbury received from modern architects at the time of its development.

The Poundbury community in Dorset was chosen as a model for the new development in Croes Atti on former farmland near Oakenholt.

"Prince Charles's original concept was laughed at at first but has proved very popular, most importantly with the people who live there."

Who's had the last laugh?
Old 08-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Royal Highness

Prince Charles will not let Titians go abroad

Having saved one of Britain's most remarkable stately homes for the nation by an 11th-hour intervention, the Prince of Wales may now be considering a similar rescue for the pair of Titian paintings put up for sale by the Duke of Sutherland last week.

Mandrake: Prince Charles will not let Titians go abroad - Telegraph
Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Courtier

Pictured: What happens when you let a prince design a fire station | Mail Online
Old 03-30-2009, 04:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

You get something that is worth admiring!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Royal Highness

Not sure why the resident quoted in the article criticizing the design. After all, the rest of the buildings in Poundbury are similarly styled. And one would assume anyone choosing to live there preferred the architectures, not just the off chance to see the royal landlord.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Courtier

Prince of Wales to follow up 'carbuncle' architecture speech after 25 years - Telegraph

Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Given the date we were very dubious about this one, but it appears to be true: the next in line to the throne, a man well known for his particular views on the nation's built environment,

Prince Charles To Lecture At RIBA - Londonist: London News, Food, Arts & Events
Old 04-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Aristocracy

Contrary to the Londonist's comment that the extension to the National Gallery was never built, it was, but simply to a different design to the one criticised as a 'carbuncle'. As the latter 'carbuncle' design included a large section of curved walling it's just as well. As I work in an art gallery myself I think I'd go mad if I was expected to hang flat 2-d rectangular paintings on a curved wall!!!
The critic who is mentioned as complaining about the fire-station is editor of a modernist magazine called Icon that publishes articles in favour of intensive horticulture - so not surprisingly his view of anything that involves Prince Charles is critical!

Tags
architecture, prince charles, prince of wales, urban planning