Prince Charles's Interest in Architecture and Urban Planning

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautifully put, VictoriaB

A voice for those of us rendered powerless and mute in the face of architects,and planners who believe it is their right to plaster their incontinent ego's over OUR built environment..

There are those among us that build mousetraps as they've been taught by those that are masters at the art of mousetrapping. Then, there are those that look at mousetraps and have the insight and creativity to build a better one. There's a huge difference between those that study what other people have learned and taught and those that can take that knowledge and see a better way to do it. Its not how much you've studied, its all in how you use what you've learned.

As a matter of fact I dislike much about modern architecture and admire that of the Regency. Nevertheless, many of the points in the article are valid. Plus, Charles, an unelected representative of the royal family, manipulated and interfered in the planning process.

So, having a degree in the social welfare area and working in it for over thirty years, would qualify me to lecture others on Victorian art, the great passion of my life, according to you all. Interesting!

:previous: Agreed. I often wonder why, if architects, developers and city planners are so honest and upright, when mentioning the Chelsea Barracks development, Charles is pilloried unmercifully, totally ignoring the fact that there was already a large, loud and vociferous lobby against it by those that were doomed to live in it's shadow. Nobody had the decency to even listen to them until Prince Charles was approached. He listened, looked and saw their point of view and then went in to bat for them and the built environment.

I have to admit it gives me the giggles when some luminary whines about Charles calling the proposed extension to the National Gallery "a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a well-loved friend". It defines their animus and he will never be forgiven for being right. :D

Prince Charles' guide for city architects rails against concrete, wires, and cars | Daily Mail Online
Critics have accused Prince Charles of being 'elitist' after he drew up a guide for city planners which attempts to banish unsightly concrete, phone wires, tower blocks and cars.

The prince wrote his ten-point plan as part of a 'big rethink' on how to design cities for a world population expected to hit almost 10billion by 2050.

Despite denying he wanted to return Britain to a 'Golden Age', his list prompted mixed responses among architecture experts.

The Guardian published an article by an art critic rubbishing the installation of poppies at the tower - I don't really care what the Guardian thinks.

The Guardian is so republican that if the Prince of Wales said the sky was blue they would line up 10 "experts" to argue he was out of touch with modern thinking and meddling in things he had no knowledge of.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous: Succinctly put. :lol:

.. oh well - it looks better than 99% of all other new buildings ...

Back
Top Bottom