The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Aristocracy

Tv

Some years ago Charles made a TV programme,
.......not sure if it was about architecture.

I remember thinking at the time that he did rather well as a TV pundit... he has a rich... I would almost say husky voice and in matters of heritage and architecture , he knows what he's talking about.

No doubt he was panned by the critics at the time, but I think, with the right crew and good scripts he could make a series of programmes on the arts, literature, Italian art.... there's no end of subject matter.... he would be a Royal version of Kenneth Clarke !
Personally I think he'd be rather good at it and help educate the younger generation.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Can you remember the name of the TV program?

Old 08-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Courtier

Prince Charles called on to block modern Iranian embassy next to historic church - Telegraph
Old 08-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Administrator

excerpts:
Prince Charles called on to block modern Iranian embassy next to historic church

The Prince of Wales is being asked to intervene to prevent Iran building a brand new embassy and Islamic cultural centre next to a historic church in one of Britain's most expensive neighbourhoods. The Islamic Republic's proposed new embassy is expected to cost tens of millions of pounds to build and is a bold, futuristic building set among Victorian mansion blocks and Georgian terraces in west London.

Designed by an Austrian-based architect, the plans were lodged as far back as January with the local council, but residents have claimed that they only learned of the development in July – and a fortnight after public consultation closed. The proposed building, designed by Daneshgar Architects in Vienna, is five storeys high...Clad in marble and stone, the embassy – comprising what could best be described as an overarching rhomboid with a bright yellow square structure beneath – is less than 20ft from St Augustine's Church, a grade II*-listed church designed by William Butterfield, the renowned Victorian architect.

Residents are only now starting to campaign to stop the embassy. Maria von Moltke, 74, who lives about 100 yards away, is writing to Prince Charles, pleading with him to help. Clarence House said that the Prince would wait for the residents' letter to arrive before responding.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar View Post

I remember thinking at the time that he did rather well as a TV pundit... he has a rich... I would almost say husky voice and in matters of heritage and architecture , he knows what he's talking about.
I think that I saw this program a month or two ago on cable in Australia. I remember it particularly well because, to my complete astonishment, the prince said that he'd read Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' and recommended it to the interviewer and camera crew, saying that it was 'wonderful'. Whereas I fully agree with his view, the trilogy in question has been highly controversial, particularly in the US. And he had read it, clearly, as he mentioned some of the special, iconic incidents which recur throughout the work.

For those who don't know this trilogy, part 1 is called 'Northern Lights'. A film was made of it entitled 'The Golden Compass', but it was so emasculated so as not to offend anyone or the Church, that the film was a terrific let down after the book and had little of the original tension, intensity, narrative brilliance and terror.

In this program, too, the prince talked knowledgeably and sympathetically about a magnificent, but decaying major country house which was being sold off in bits and pieces before he stepped in and helped organise funds and expertise to save Dumfries House, a Palladian mansion in Ayrshire, and its unrivalled collection of Chippendale furniture. One bookcase alone was valued at £4m! Prince Charles did outstandingly well in this program and I often wonder why he has so few opportunities to present himself in forums such as this in which he positively shines.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Courtier

Prince Charles called on to block modern Iranian embassy next to historic church

Well, good for him if he does, Warren.

Even where I live, none is permitted to construct anything which positively shrieks at its surroundings and environment.

Although I don't share his opinions on modern architecture, overall, he's right to protest at the visual noise which modern architects and money-makers indulge in, inappropriately, and with nary a care for the inhabitants or the surroundings.

I fear though, as usual, he'll be castigated for his genuine concern for even the built environment if he accedes to this request.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

He can't possibly "win", either way. If the architectural lobbyists don't get him, then the C of E lobby might.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Prince Charles drafted in to help rebuild quake damaged Port-au-Prince | World news | The Guardian

Everyone from Ben Stiller to Bill Clinton has promised to help, but now Haiti's homeless have a new would-be saviour. Eight months after Port-au-Prince and its residents were devastated by a powerful earthquake which killed more than 230,000 people, the Prince of Wales has responded to a plea for greater assistance from the Haitian government and deployed his architecture charity to help rebuild a swath of the capital's historic centre.

The Prince's Foundation for the Built Environment will lead the planning of a makeover of the capital's old quarter, with the prince's aides travelling to the island to start the design process in December.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh cool. There are very few that have stayed beyond the first month after the earthquake (Sean Penn, whom personally I cannot stand, however I greatly respect his efforts to help the Hatian people, and Tyler Perry whom I greatly admire and adore.) so I do hope HRH will make a difference for those people with his contribution.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Architects angry at Prince's power grab - Architecture, Arts & Entertainment - The Independent

He has damned modern designs for London's National Gallery and Chelsea Barracks, trumpeted a traditionalist model town in Dorset and delivered verdicts on buildings to ministers and world leaders. Now Prince Charles's architectural influence could be felt across Britain.

In a move which has angered architects favouring contemporary design, the Prince's Foundation for the Built Environment has mooted plans to offer professional design advice on future developments nationwide.

Prince Charles offers to take on key architectural planning role | UK news | The Guardian

Prince Charles is poised to extend his influence over the skyline with an offer to arbitrate Britain's most significant planning applications, a role previously executed by a quango that had its funding axed in the comprehensive spending review.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Administrator

A comment piece following The Independent's story is amusing...

"Having driven Britain’s architectural community apoplectic by blocking Richard Rogers’ modernist housing scheme for the Chelsea Barracks site in London, it seemed inconceivable that the Prince of Wales could devise any finer instrument of torture for architects.

Yet he has done just that. Through his mouthpiece, Hank Dittmar, we learn that the Prince’s Foundation is interested in taking over from the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment as our watchdog for the architectural quality of important projects."

I suspect the POW quite enjoys poking a stick at modernist architects.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

I really admire what Prince Charles is doing, with his interest in sustainable practices. His environmentally friendly "eco-house" was unveiled, and a version of it will be viewable at a London home expo:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...1466-28324208/

Instead of using nasty insulation materials like fiberglass, he uses hemp. Of course, it was "he" in the royal sense - it's his foundation of researchers that designed it. The walls are breathable, furthermore, so as to reduce mold and other toxic build-ups, a major cause of childhood respiratory illness.

He's doing so much more than this, of course, but this is a highlight.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's no secret that Prince Charles is not an admirer of modern architecture. Yet, whenever his pov is mentioned, the press never includes the fact that various polls have shown the the majority of the British public agrees with him!
Much modern architecture is just plain ugly.

I hope the POW is able to block that embassy, which will stand out like a sore thumb in that neighborhood.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Unfortunately there are investors who don't give a d.... about architecture and the environment.

I don't like Charles as a person, but I do like him as an environmentalist.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

The Prince of Wales as President attended a reception for alumni of The Prince's Foundation
for the Built Environment in London, November 24, the King of Bhutan Jigme Khesar Namgyel
Wangchuck and his wife Queen Jetsun Pema Wangchuck were present as well.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** PA: Charles praises architecture alumni **
Old 11-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar View Post

No doubt he was panned by the critics at the time, but I think, with the right crew and good scripts he could make a series of programmes on the arts, literature, Italian art.... there's no end of subject matter.... he would be a Royal version of Kenneth Clarke !
Personally I think he'd be rather good at it and help educate the younger generation.
I am looking for the program on YouTube but have yet to find it. I did come across this little bit. Nothing Charles is saying is outside the ballpark. It is odd in the extreme that his ideas seem to be so trounced. Its really odd - because he is very much in the dialog. He does know his stuff. I am starting to wonder if the 'trouncing' is really happening - or is it something else - more to do with class and social stuff. Certainly his ideas are not really comprehended if one is to go by the reactions.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

I think Prince Charles's view on architecture are absolutely spot on. Brilliant. He may be the only person in the world with enough status (and money) to get this said clearly, and even then, he's not being listened to, criticized instead.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Prince of Wales is on the front cover of February's edition of the American magazine Architectural Digest. The magazine got to spend time with the Prince at Dumfires House which, of course, he helped save for the nation.

There are some beautiful pictures of the restoration work. The editor was on the Today Show on NBC yesterday morning and said that they thought they were only going to have 30 seconds to get a picture of Prince Charles for the article but that he spent over half an hour with them for the photo call alone.

Prince Charles unveils Dumfries House - Architectural Digest
Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The Prince of Wales is on the front cover of February's edition of the American magazine Architectural Digest. The magazine got to spend time with the Prince at Dumfires House which, of course, he helped save for the nation.

There are some beautiful pictures of the restoration work. The editor was on the Today Show on NBC yesterday morning and said that they thought they were only going to have 30 seconds to get a picture of Prince Charles for the article but that he spent over half an hour with them for the photo call alone.

Prince Charles unveils Dumfries House - Architectural Digest

Thanks for the link, EIIR! The pictures are beautiful - they make me want to visit -

http://tinyurl.com/7qc5pfu

http://tinyurl.com/6qzlzr4

http://tinyurl.com/745xjlw

http://tinyurl.com/7qlqwtb

http://tinyurl.com/89guhjl
Old 01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wonderful house. I always feel so sad when I hear a story about ancient and historic houses being abandoned. there are lots of them here in Portugal. I'm happy that prince Charles cares about this problem and tries to help.

Tags
architecture, prince charles, prince of wales, urban planning