Prince Charles's Interest in Architecture and Urban Planning

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
A comment piece following The Independent's story is amusing...

"Having driven Britain’s architectural community apoplectic by blocking Richard Rogers’ modernist housing scheme for the Chelsea Barracks site in London, it seemed inconceivable that the Prince of Wales could devise any finer instrument of torture for architects.

Yet he has done just that. Through his mouthpiece, Hank Dittmar, we learn that the Prince’s Foundation is interested in taking over from the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment as our watchdog for the architectural quality of important projects."

I suspect the POW quite enjoys poking a stick at modernist architects. :D

I really admire what Prince Charles is doing, with his interest in sustainable practices. His environmentally friendly "eco-house" was unveiled, and a version of it will be viewable at a London home expo:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/03/12/prince-charles-unveils-natural-house-91466-28324208/

Instead of using nasty insulation materials like fiberglass, he uses hemp. Of course, it was "he" in the royal sense - it's his foundation of researchers that designed it. The walls are breathable, furthermore, so as to reduce mold and other toxic build-ups, a major cause of childhood respiratory illness.

He's doing so much more than this, of course, but this is a highlight.

Last edited:
It's no secret that Prince Charles is not an admirer of modern architecture. Yet, whenever his pov is mentioned, the press never includes the fact that various polls have shown the the majority of the British public agrees with him!
Much modern architecture is just plain ugly.

I hope the POW is able to block that embassy, which will stand out like a sore thumb in that neighborhood.

Unfortunately there are investors who don't give a d.... about architecture and the environment.

I don't like Charles as a person, but I do like him as an environmentalist.

The Prince of Wales as President attended a reception for alumni of The Prince's Foundation
for the Built Environment in London, November 24, the King of Bhutan Jigme Khesar Namgyel
Wangchuck and his wife Queen Jetsun Pema Wangchuck were present as well.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** PA: Charles praises architecture alumni **

Some years ago Charles made a TV programme,
.......not sure if it was about architecture.

I remember thinking at the time that he did rather well as a TV pundit... he has a rich... I would almost say husky voice and in matters of heritage and architecture , he knows what he's talking about.

No doubt he was panned by the critics at the time, but I think, with the right crew and good scripts he could make a series of programmes on the arts, literature, Italian art.... there's no end of subject matter.... he would be a Royal version of Kenneth Clarke !
Personally I think he'd be rather good at it and help educate the younger generation.

I am looking for the program on YouTube but have yet to find it. I did come across this little bit. Nothing Charles is saying is outside the ballpark. It is odd in the extreme that his ideas seem to be so trounced. Its really odd - because he is very much in the dialog. He does know his stuff. I am starting to wonder if the 'trouncing' is really happening - or is it something else - more to do with class and social stuff. Certainly his ideas are not really comprehended if one is to go by the reactions.

Prince Charles on architecture - YouTube

Last edited:
I think Prince Charles's view on architecture are absolutely spot on. Brilliant. He may be the only person in the world with enough status (and money) to get this said clearly, and even then, he's not being listened to, criticized instead.

The Prince of Wales is on the front cover of February's edition of the American magazine Architectural Digest. The magazine got to spend time with the Prince at Dumfires House which, of course, he helped save for the nation.

There are some beautiful pictures of the restoration work. The editor was on the Today Show on NBC yesterday morning and said that they thought they were only going to have 30 seconds to get a picture of Prince Charles for the article but that he spent over half an hour with them for the photo call alone.

Prince Charles unveils Dumfries House - Architectural Digest

The Prince of Wales is on the front cover of February's edition of the American magazine Architectural Digest. The magazine got to spend time with the Prince at Dumfires House which, of course, he helped save for the nation.

There are some beautiful pictures of the restoration work. The editor was on the Today Show on NBC yesterday morning and said that they thought they were only going to have 30 seconds to get a picture of Prince Charles for the article but that he spent over half an hour with them for the photo call alone.

Prince Charles unveils Dumfries House - Architectural Digest

Thanks for the link, EIIR! :flowers: The pictures are beautiful - they make me want to visit -

http://tinyurl.com/7qc5pfu

http://tinyurl.com/6qzlzr4

http://tinyurl.com/745xjlw

http://tinyurl.com/7qlqwtb

http://tinyurl.com/89guhjl

Last edited:
Wonderful house. I always feel so sad when I hear a story about ancient and historic houses being abandoned. there are lots of them here in Portugal. I'm happy that prince Charles cares about this problem and tries to help.

The Prince of Wales toured 'Highbury Gardens' (a residential development completed with the help of The Prince's Foundation for Building Community) and met residents at Highbury Gardens, Islington, London today, February 12, 2013.

The pics with the girl are cute and funny, especially number 2 and 5:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 **

** insidehousing.co.uk: Prince Charles tours housing development **

** 24dash.com: Home run for First Base as Charles visits SHG/HCA development **

Perfect grandfather in the making. :)
That little girl is very cute.

Very nice pictures.

The Prince of Wales toured 'Highbury Gardens' (a residential development completed with the help of The Prince's Foundation for Building Community) and met residents at Highbury Gardens, Islington, London today, February 12, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 **

** insidehousing.co.uk: Prince Charles tours housing development **

** 24dash.com: Home run for First Base as Charles visits SHG/HCA development **

I love the sight of His Highness in a little girl's room. He seems so at ease, and comfortable. The girl seems quite happy to show off her room as well. Absolutely delightful.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** /QUOTE]

He broke the knob on that bed! Too funny. That little girl is quite plucky. I love Pic 7, where the two of them are having such a thoughtful conversation, both equally serious.

People on ths forum have blasted me for saying this before - but Charles is way less serious now than in the past. He has grown. There are photos from the Di years where he is staring daggers at the object of the press' devotion. He was not happy and it showed.
These days he has come into his own; he appears to enjoy the company of others. He is not looking over his shoulder in any way. I like seeing his happiness.

Video:
GREAT ESTATES SCOTLAND
Dumfries

Tour the interior of the fabulous Dumfries House, an architectural gem that boasts one of the largest collections of Chippendale furniture in the world. This once-neglected mansion was dramatically brought back to life and saved for the nation by HRH The Prince of Wales-
Video: Dumfries | Watch Great Estates Scotland Online | PBS Video

I watched this Dman and I found it interesting. The coverage inside was spectacular. The history was fascinating.

I also thought the Prince of Wales was a bit whaffle-y. His point of view seemed to be "do something and invite people in and something good will happen." When I listened to him, I thought it all a bit vague. I'm American and we are all about results - setting a goal and hitting the goal. It is our weakness.

Has unemployment in the area declined in a statistically measurable way? Are tax revenues up? Has crime decreased? Is there any reporting on this sort of thing?

And I will admit, that I cringe every time the POW uses "literally." Yes, the trucks stopped LITERALLY in the middle of the night and turned around. But that's just because a truck cannot stop metaphorically and turn around in the middle of the night. ;)

Hoorah !

The proliferation of clutter & 'street furniture' is an epidemic, ordaned solely by faceless planners...

Did Prince Charles take degrees in Town Planning, Civil Engineering and Architecture when he was at university, followed by several years practising those professions? I must have missed observing those developments in his life and career.

Heaven protect us from the waffling. Having an interest for many years in a particular area or discipline does not an expert make.

Actually I think Charles is onto something with sustainable communities and his ability to think outside of the box and into the future. I don't think there are many people out there let alone corporations that give much thought to the far future and what it will be like. Charles was going green long before it became a concern and still isn't something that a lot of people take seriously.

I like his ideas.

Did Prince Charles take degrees in Town Planning, Civil Engineering and Architecture when he was at university, followed by several years practising those professions? I must have missed observing those developments in his life and career.

Heaven protect us from the waffling. Having an interest for many years in a particular area or discipline does not an expert make.

I give him credit for having an opinion and trying to improve things. But in the end, this is not hard science. My city is now turning all our 4 lane and one way arterial roads and replacing them with streets that are one lane for each direction and and a turn lane. Which was what was there before. Each change is touted to improve city life and commerce. :bang: At least we will get new walks, curbs and lighting out of it.

Obviously you don't believe a person can be educated in an area without formal qualifications.

That is rubbish. Self-education - or teaching something to yourself in a non-formal setting it perfectly possible and given Charles started studying Architecture at uni before changing to History does suggest a lifelong interest. Given his contacts he has probably read widely on the topic and had detailed discussions with the experts to educate himself on these issues without having received a 'piece of paper' to say he knows about that stuff.

Well, I don't regard Prince Charles as the fount of all knowledge regarding architecture, wildlife conservation, sustainable farming or anything else.

He is an intelligent man with a questioning mind and that's as far as it goes, in my opinion. His marks throughout his schooling and his degree on leaving university don't point to a brilliant intellect.

I am tertiary educated but completely away from my field I have a great lifelong interest in Victorian art. I have spoken to several experts in that area over the years. Should that allow me to make speeches to large audiences and write in art journals on the subject? You appear to think that it should.

Prince Charles' views have many critics among distinguished academics and professional architects, most of whom have spent decades practising their profession. As is my right, I prefer to bow to their expertise rather than a dilettante who has no background in the subjects he waffles about.

According to you I shouldn't be teaching Ancient History - having never studied it but - amazingly I am perfectly competent to do so - as self-taught in the study of Ancient History.

I do believe that if you have studied a subject personally without the piece of paper you have as much knowledge as someone with that piece of paper and so have a right to speak.

For everyone who has criticised Charles on these matters there have been other experts who agree with him. They also disagree with those who disagree with Charles - in other words there are a number of schools of expertise in these fields and Charles falls into one while those in a different school of thought disagree - but they disagree with the experts who agree with Charles as well.

I do think Charles has what many lack - vision and an ability to see a different path.
That's a skill in itself - and one you do not get by virtue of any degree, or even necessarily with study of a subject.
It's somewhat simple to learn about a subject, to understand it and apply it.
Getting other people to want to learn and do something - that's the heart of the matter.
And I see that quality in Charles and William, both.
Oh, and Iluvbertie, I'm with you on autodidacts.

Back
Top Bottom