The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-21-2009, 05:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
My knowledge of English history between about 500 and 600 is a bit weak mainly due to lack of documents from the period but that it the only time that I could possibly point to the English worshipping their Kings as gods unless you want to go back before the Roman Conquest and my understanding of Celtic beliefs also rule that out.
I too cannot find any record of the Celts worshiping a leader and the Druids and Pagans certainly didn't, IMO. These articles seem to tie in nicely with your post -

Post Right » A Prince Among Men

FT.com / Comment / Editorial - Royal strings

Old 06-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

I still believe that God chooses everyone’s role in life and therefore chose Elizabeth II to be the Queen. That isn’t the same as worshipping her as a God. I also believe that God gave her a parliamentary system to do the ruling.

It's interesting that you state that as I believe our souls choose what body to be born in and who the parents are. Therefore the roles we play in life are sort of predetermined.

Anyway. This whole issue is interesting as it shows most the limits and the extent of power that the Royal Family have. It's really a battle between two powerful figures.
PC wrote a letter.We can all do that. The receivers of that letter could well have ignored it. From us they usually do. Though working for a govt. entity I have seen them bend over backwards to please really 'odd' people who would have no power at all.

That the developers chose to take PC opinion seriously shows that they must respect his opinion.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Courtier

Well thank goodness PC helped 'the people' win this one. God Bless the Prince of Wales. The ugly new buildings of today, that have sometimes replaced beautiful old historic ones and just don't 'fit in' to their surroundings, should provide enough evidence to stop town planners from any more of these 'approvals'.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

In an exclusive interview with BBC Wales' Lucy Owen, Prince Charles has said he doesn't mind causing controversy when speaking about sustainable buildings and architecture.

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Prince 'I don't mind controversy'

THREE champions of affordable housing in South Lakeland and Eden have been given a chance to air their views to the Prince of Wales.

Prince Charles listens to rural housing champions (From The Westmorland Gazette)
Old 07-13-2009, 04:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Prince of Wales has resigned as patron of a leading heritage society after a row over his conservative architectural views, it was reported today.

Charles quits heritage group over book snub | News

The Prince of Wales has resigned as patron of a leading heritage society after a row over his conservative architectural views, it was reported

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...itage-row.html
Old 07-15-2009, 04:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

PRINCE Charles’ much maligned architectural views were defended last night by the man behind some of Wales’ most important restorations

WalesOnline - News - Wales News - Prince Charles’ traditionalism defended by restoration expert
Old 08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

FIVE firms of architects with links to Prince Charles are on a shortlist of 10 which have been asked to draw up new plans for one of London's most prominent sites.

Architects bidding for Chelsea Barracks have links to Prince Charles | News
Old 08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
Well thank goodness PC helped 'the people' win this one. God Bless the Prince of Wales. The ugly new buildings of today, that have sometimes replaced beautiful old historic ones and just don't 'fit in' to their surroundings, should provide enough evidence to stop town planners from any more of these 'approvals'.
I wholeheartedly agree! It's about time someone in a position of power began to stand up for our historical buildings. Once they're gone, a part of our history is gone too. Take 1980s Brisbane for an example - Cloudland, Bellevue Hotel etc were all demolished without a moments thought.

Good on Prince Charles!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Royal disapproval: how Prince Charles tried to stop a modern 'masterpiece'
One New Change, the £500m office and shopping complex beside St Paul's Cathedral.

In the shadow of St Paul's Cathedral, a new building is rising. Contractors are fitting gleaming walls of glass to girders which lurch at fashionably acute angles.

Royal disapproval: how Prince Charles tried to stop a modern 'masterpiece' | UK news | The Guardian

What a great pity he failed!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Courtier

And they couldn't find a better place for that 'fashionable masterpiece' than building it beside St Paul's Cathedral?!

I understand many buildings that are now true magna opera were deemed 'unacceptable' when they were built; however I really don't like the sound of 'gleaming walls of glass to girders which lurch at fashionably acute angles'. And I don’t see it ever being in harmony with magnificent St. Paul’s Cathedral.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Courtier

How does this building fit into the 'town plan'? What is the zoning for the area around St Pauls? Surely it's connected with historic architecture.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Royal Institute of British Architects have told the Prince of Wales to "step back" from interfering in British architecture plans after reports emerged he called for a leading designer to be replaced for an office complex beside St Paul's Cathedral - Prince Charles should 'step back' from architecture planning - Telegraph
Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 AM
Royal Highness

The planning laws in the UK are, in my opinion, disfunctional and have no consistency at all. The town planners and local authorities who make the final decisions are far from being qualified to do so and base their decisions on their own personal opinions, which more often than not have been formed out if mis-information and undue pressures such as costs.
I applaud Charles' interest in architecture, but I do not applaud his attempts to influence these things in an apparently underhand and undemocratic way. It would be nice if he spent more time promoting the royal family in a more positive and acceptable light or at least try and change the dreadful state of local authority housing and council estates, which might prove more successful than his former sister-in-law's attempts!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

A SCHOOLBOY has sought to enlist the help of Prince Charles over controversial plans for a huge warehouse in the Hampshire countryside.

Max Day asks the Prince of Wales to 'Keep Ower rural' (From This is Hampshire)
Old 08-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

It is rather entertaining to read the discussion related to the Chelsy Barracks. It is just a usual fight between various power groups. I wonder why the United Kingdom can not organically fuse the modern and the traditional ... like they do it in Japan.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Possibly because the British tend to have their own view of what might be aesthetically pleasing. What one person 'sees' as ideal is seen as a complete mess by others.
-------------------------------
Prince Charles was accused today of intervening in the £12million plans for a redesign of Kensington Palace.
The Prince of Wales supports a design for a new entrance to the palace - once home to Princess Diana - which has been likened to "twee garden furniture" by its critics.

Charles asks council to pass his 'twee' design for palace | News
Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

That proposed loggia is not looking too good. It really seems to clash with the existing portico.. Hmmmm . . . . more pictures of architectural rendering are required before any real conclusions can be drawn.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am not sure that the Mail rendering of the design is accurately portrayed. IMO, it owes more to a Victorian conservatory or even greenhouse, than garden furniture.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I am not sure that the Mail rendering of the design is accurately portrayed. IMO, it owes more to a Victorian conservatory or even greenhouse, than garden furniture.
It looks to me as though its intended to cover visitors whilst they queue to get in. This part of the Palace is run by the government-funded Historic Royal Palaces (i.e. not the Royal Collection Trust) & they've obviously gone to the trouble of getting the approval of both Prince Charles & the Queen - who I notice is not being ticked off by Kensington Councillors for 'interfering' in the design.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Prince of Wales’ own planning and architecture charity has backed a controversial £12m “twee” project to upgrade Kensington Palace amid claims it would “harm the character and appearance” of the local area.

Prince Charles' architecture charity backs 'twee' revamp of Kensington Palace - Telegraph

Prince Charles has suffered a planning defeat after councillors threw out designs for a “twee” new entrance to Kensington Palace last night.

Tags
architecture, prince charles, prince of wales, urban planning