The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-23-2006, 10:02 AM

Really?! I thought he'd been given a copy. What a wicked thing to do. He deserves stringing up.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Bolland didn't receive a copy. As long as I understood, he made copies of the diary, without the permission or the knowledge of the Prince. A very dishonest thing to do .
We all have our private opinions and among them those, we woudln't like to be voiced all over the country.
Bolland did not make a copy, it was Sara Goodall.

Bolland signed a statement on behalf of the Mail on Sunday, against his former employer, Prince Charles.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

here's a quite extensive and clear article about charles' diary problem from the times.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...053811,00.html

Quote:
Britain
The TimesFebruary 23, 2006
The diaries of a dissident Prince

By Andrew Pierce
LAWYERS for the Prince of Wales were yesterday forced to release a private journal that revealed the heir to the throne’s wide-ranging thoughts on Tony and Cherie Blair, the demise of the Royal Yacht Britannia, and an acerbic view of the Chinese President.
Mr Justice Blackburne ruled that extracts from the 3,000-word manuscript, which is at the centre of a privacy battle between the Prince and The Mail on Sunday should be published.
NI_MPU('middle');The newspaper’s lawyers had argued that the journal contained evidence of “clear political hostility”, which the public was entitled to read.
The judge’s decision will be seen as an embarrassing setback for the Prince, who had gone to court with the aim of preventing any further publication of his writings. The journal, written by the Prince as he returned from the handover of Hong Kong to China in the summer of 1997, is scathing about Chinese leadership and both warm and critical of the Prime Minister. He wrote that Mr Blair had spent only 14 hours in Hong Kong. “They then take decisions based on market research and focus groups, on the papers produced by political advisers and civil servants none of whom will have ever experienced what it is they are taking decisions about.”
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

How shameful that Charles was put in business class, when everyone else was put in 1st.

I don't disagree with anything that Charles has written, in what was a private account of a trip. A lot of us could probably be hung for some of our private thoughts regarding tabloids like the Mail.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

This is some surprising news. Tony Blair has defended Prince Charles for airing his political views.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe...les/index.html

Somehow I can't imagine that he would and I'm curious as to why.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Here is the BBC's take on it as well.

Blair says Charles' views helpful

Prince Charles is "perfectly entitled" to voice opinions or privately lobby ministers, the prime minister has said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4742412.stm
Old 02-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

In all of the reports, it has been emphasized that none of Charles' views are party political, that he has always maintained that these are his personal thoughts.
If you read the full transcript of Bollands statement, even he has to agree and is very careful of how he phrases things.

Bollands interpretation of what Charles is supposed to have said, is just that. Another Burrell who likes to tell himself that he had a major say in what he thought Charles should or should not do. Can anyone really see Charles allowing someone to talk to him like that?
Bolland's thoughts and statement are the bitter ramblings of an ex employee, trying to make money out of someone who trusted him, for a short time.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
This is some surprising news. Tony Blair has defended Prince Charles for airing his political views.

In his diaries Prince Charles called him a very pleasant person, who is fan to talk to. He also said that the PM seems to be a person, who actually listens to what people say. There were more pleasant words about him, so it might have influenced Tony Blair a little. :)
Though I quite agree with the PM, Prince Charles was perfectly free to expres his opinion.

Skydragon, you are perfectly right of course. I confused them. My fault. :o
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Courtier

Of course Charles has a right to keep his personal journals private without being published. He can pass his journals to his friends to share his thoughts but this does not mean the press can publish his thoughts without permission. It is a breath of his privacy. I hope that he will win the case.
By now, I hope that Prince Charles will be more careful about his documents. The press has been always interested in what he wrote since his childhood.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc
Of course Charles has a right to keep his personal journals private without being published. He can pass his journals to his friends to share his thoughts but this does not mean the press can publish his thoughts without permission. It is a breath of his privacy. I hope that he will win the case.
By now, I hope that Prince Charles will be more careful about his documents. The press has been always interested in what he wrote since his childhood.

I totally agree with you.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel

Me too. The Blair government has been somewhat like the Thatcher government in regarding Prince Charles as a loose cannon that needs to be secured. This reaction from Blair seems disturbingly out of character.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Royal Highness

I don't feel sorry for Charles, he has an ability to say (and write) things that end up hitting him on the face. He is too much like his father, but with Prince Phillip you can always use the excuse of his advanced age to forgive his mishaps comments a little. Charles knows better than that.

The one I feel really sorry if for his mother, the Queen. Every time there is some degree of peace in her life and the Windors are out of the tabloid frenzy, there goes one of her kids or relatives to get the whole clan in trouble.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Skydragon, you are perfectly right of course. I confused them. My fault. :o
No problem Avalon.

I feel Charles should be cut some slack. I'm sure we all write or email our friends when we get home from holiday or visiting and sometimes what we put, might be offensive to the person or place we are writing about.

He wasn't trying to influence anything, just putting his thoughts down on a long and boring flight.

He is allowed to have private thoughts you know!:)
Old 02-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
I don't feel sorry for Charles, he has an ability to say (and write) things that end up hitting him on the face. He is too much like his father, but with Prince Phillip you can always use the excuse of his advanced age to forgive his mishaps comments a little. Charles knows better than that.
Writing that China regime is awful in private journal - that you call "mishaps comments" ? Very odd view indeed.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgnesK
Writing that China regime is awful in private journal - that you call "mishaps comments" ? Very odd view indeed.
You said it yourself - private journal.

This is a public forum and we all comment on (not too nicely at times) members of the royal families and their friends.
Charles hasn't done that, he wrote his personal thoughts in a personal journal, such as a lot of people do.

Surely, unless it affects national security Charles should also be allowed what we all hope to enjoy, our own private thoughts?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgnesK
Just imagine if Charles's journal, instead of criticising, extolled the virtues of the Chinese Communist Party leadership. Then we'd really have something to worry about.
Instead he wrote what probably every Western diplomat was saying in their despatches home at the time.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Aristocracy

What Charles writes in his own private diary is his business.
Don't understand what the fuss is about.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, the fuss is about the fact that, since he circulated his writings to some of his friends, it's being argued that the diaries weren't in fact private.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, the fuss is about the fact that, since he circulated his writings to some of his friends, it's being argued that the diaries weren't in fact private.
Imo these writings are private.

Charles chose to share them with a selected few (and unfortunately one person he had trusted had sold him out).

He did not deliberately 'leak' his views to the papers, the man who betrayed him did. This imo does not change the fact that these thoughts are private.

He is entitled to have thoughts, opinions and share them with others just like any person on the street. I think its important to seperate the person (Prince Charles) from his role (PoW). :)
Old 02-24-2006, 02:39 PM

Charles's image has been massively improved. On Question Time last night, every member of the Panel and audience who spoke praised him and said what a brilliant job he does and how pleased they were to hear a member of the RF speaking with intelligence and keeping the politicians in order! This hasn't done Charles any harm at all.

Tags
diary, legal action, prince charles, prince of wales, sarah goodall