Prince Charles's Advocacy of Religious Tolerance

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Charles, Prince of Wales is accompanied by Princess Badiya of Jordan, the Bishop of London and Chief Rabbi Sir Jonathan Sachs, attends the opening of 'The Tent', an interfaith meeting space at the Ethelburga's Centre for Reconciliation and Peace on May 4, 2006 in London, England

from getty

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 460
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 296
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 369
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 356
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 327
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 352
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
I do agree Skydragon as a rule it seems when in doubt blame Charles, it's easy.
But the situation with Poundbury, I think might be a little different, I think Charles could be somewhat at fault.
The impression I have received from what I read about Poundsbury is phases 2 +3 aren't quite keeping to Charles original vision as phase 1 Poundbury (the town we have all seen). The Duchy of Cornwall goal is to make money for Charles and Poundbury has I believe made money. I don't think Charles original vision is a being adherred to quite as closely as phase 1 due to profit motives. Charles I believe is involved in phases 2 +3.

From what I read from the article the mayor doesn't seem to be criticising HRH but is more upset that the development isn't following his original plans

Queen Amina said:
From what I read from the article the mayor doesn't seem to be criticising HRH but is more upset that the development isn't following his original plans

I'm sorry guys and gals, all I was saying is that the way the press twist things, within a few weeks/months/years, it will somehow have been Charles' fault.

He has done IMO, a brilliant job of giving the people of Poundbury a decent looking place to live, while still making money for the duchy.

Carey calls for a multi-faith coronation

trans.gif
LORD CAREY, the former Archbishop of Canterbury, has surprised senior clerics by calling for a “multi-faith” coronation when the Prince of Wales succeeds to the throne.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2210096,00.html

I am very surprised to hear Lord Carey to say so and certainly his statement will stir the pot. Prince Charles may amend his idea of the faiths and find a proper way to keep christian traditions and defend other faiths. One thing I felt respected him is that Prince Charles is willing to understand the difference between the west and the east and find a peaceful way for both sides. Just hope Charles would understand China more and be more tactful about things.

LONDON, United Kingdom: Britain's Prince Charles (L) participates in an interfaith dialogue project between rabbinic students and young Muslim students from another college, during his visit at the Leo Baeck College in Finchley, in London, 22 June 2006. Britain's Prince Charles heard an Auschwitz survivor recount how his wife and baby son were killed in the Nazi gas chambers when the heir to the throne visited the Jewish Museum on Thursday

from getty and polfoto

Attachments

• 71269747.jpg
    71269747.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 388
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 323
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 345
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 388
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 428
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Alison Ruoff says it all, "is no way that other faiths should be involved in the service. This is a Christian country and so the coronation service must remain exclusively Christian and we should not apologise for that". Well done Alison.

love_cc said:
Christian, Muslim, Sikh and Jewish: multi-faith coronation for Charles
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/24/ncharles24.xml

As long as the CofE is the established church, Charles will be expected to take the same oath to maintain it that the Queen did at her coronation. However, the country is far more multicultural, with far more faiths and more atheists, than in the 1950s, and if the monarchy is to mean anything other than religious exclusion to people, they're going to have to recognise that.

Personally as a nontheist I'm not thrilled about Charles wanting to be "Defender of Faith" rather than "Defender of the Faith." The latter category comes with the territory of having an established church; the former is simply discrimination. He's going to be king of everyone, not just of theists.

Elspeth said:
Personally as a nontheist I'm not thrilled about Charles wanting to be "Defender of Faith" rather than "Defender of the Faith." The latter category comes with the territory of having an established church; the former is simply discrimination. He's going to be king of everyone, not just of theists.

Interesting way to view the topic. Thank you for offering it, Elspeth. I never thought that far but of course you are right. We either accept that religion nowadays is a private matter and has nothing to do with the state/monarchy, then we must leave the whole matter of faith (which faith?) or no faith out of it or we have to be honest and say that on following traditions we follow in the old paths of religious discrimination. You can't have it both ways.

I could imagine, though, that prince Charles would say that even nontheists have something good they believe in, be it honesty in the way you lead your life or goodness in the way you try to deal with the world and that this constitutes a "faith" in something, even if that faith is not one in God.

BeatrixFan said:
Alison Ruoff says it all, "is no way that other faiths should be involved in the service. This is a Christian country and so the coronation service must remain exclusively Christian and we should not apologise for that". Well done Alison.

I think the tradition should be the same. As long as it is the Church of England then what is wrong with the tradition? I understand Charles being "Defender of Faith" but that doesn't mean that he has to incorporate every religion in existance into the ceremony. He merely recognized that there are other religions that the people of his kingdom practice. If the monarchy was Catholic (just an example) then I would expect whatever would happen in a Catholic coronation (crowned by Pope Benedict?), etc. JMHO.

Avalon said:
Prince Charles honors Harry Williams

Britain's Prince Charles has praised the ministry of Harry Williams, the homosexual dean of Cambridge University who died earlier this year at 86.
The prince is endorsing Williams in a forward to a new book of essays penned by the late theologian, the Telegraph reported.

Prince Charles praises gay priest
Prince Charles joins gay church debate

Good for him! :) He's a free-thinker and a brave man. I bet the Church wishes he wasn't quite so liberal in his views though, or at least would keep them to himself.

Roslyn said:
Good for him! :) He's a free-thinker and a brave man. I bet the Church wishes he wasn't quite so liberal in his views though, or at least would keep them to himself.

He is decent enough to know that sexual orientation is a choice people make, but it doesn't define you or take away from any accomplishments. The Prince wants people to know the man for the great things he did in his life.

CasiraghiTrio said:
He is decent enough to know that sexual orientation is a choice people make, but it doesn't define you or take away from any accomplishments. The Prince wants people to know the man for the great things he did in his life.

I agree.

Its a pity the same attitude cannot be given to the Prince himself. There are those who just cannot move on from his first marriage and look at the positive things he has done. :sad:

Today and on Sunday too, you could read in every UK-newspaper about the dicussion wheather Charles will be ´Defender of Faith´ or ´ Defender of the Faith´ when he is King.
I read about this question same years ago when Charles said in an interview that he wishes to become ´Defender of Faith´, but why does this dicussion starts again now?
Is it because the royal couple will visit another Islamic state?
Is it because the people begin to think about a King Charles?

A video message by HRH The Prince of Wales to open the University of Cambridge “Islam and Muslims in the world today” Conference

It is a great sadness that I cannot be with you to participate in – and benefit from – this Conference on “Islam and Muslims in the World Today”.
However, I particularly wanted to take this opportunity to say a few words to preface the vitally important topics which you will be discussing over the next two days. I also wanted to express appreciation to the Prime Minister for making time, before he steps down, to organize this exchange of views by so senior and experienced a group of speakers......

The Prince of Wales - A video message by HRH The Prince of Wales to open the University of Cambridge “Islam and Muslims in the world today” Conference

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Charles's advocacy of religious tolerance

Prince Charles hails links between Islam and Christianity

Muslims and Christians have far more in common than they have differences, Britain´s Prince Charles said at the opening of an exhibition of Islamic art in London Thursday.

Prince Charles hails links between Islam and Christianity#

Not that Dr Williams is exactly a disinterested observer in this particular case, but he's right in that as long as the monarch is the Supreme Governor of the CofE, he should be prepared to make it appear that he actually means it.

Not that Dr Williams is exactly a disinterested observer in this particular case, but he's right in that as long as the monarch is the Supreme Governor of the CofE, he should be prepared to make it appear that he actually means it.
Time to rewrite that little bit of the ceremony and law then, very few people seem to attend church nowadays and fewer still who do, appear to be christians in the true sense of the word! :rolleyes:

Time to rewrite that little bit of the ceremony and law then, very few people seem to attend church nowadays and fewer still who do, appear to be christians in the true sense of the word! :rolleyes:

This point of view makes sense, but realistically, the Church of England will put up a hard fight to maintain their position in the State religion. They aren't interested in what the majority of British people want. It's just a fact. They are only interested to maintain their position, influence, their jobs, and their relevance.

Even if they disestablished the church, I would still want the Coronation ceremony to stay the same, simply because it's been almost unchanged for so long. In my town, Santa Claus comes and turns on the Christmas lights and nobody complains, even if they don't think he's the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom