The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles's advocacy of religious tolerance

Prince Charles unveils goat-hair tent at London inter-faith venue
Prince Charles unveileda goat-hair bedouin tent from Saudi Arabia that will serve as a venue for dialogue between peoples of different religions in London Thursday
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060504...n_060504153308

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 05-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles, Prince of Wales is accompanied by Princess Badiya of Jordan, the Bishop of London and Chief Rabbi Sir Jonathan Sachs, attends the opening of 'The Tent', an interfaith meeting space at the Ethelburga's Centre for Reconciliation and Peace on May 4, 2006 in London, England

from getty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	241942   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	241943   Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	241944   Click image for larger version

Name:	24.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	241945  

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	241946   Click image for larger version

Name:	26.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	241947   Click image for larger version

Name:	27.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	241948   Click image for larger version

Name:	28.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	241949  

Name:	29.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	241950   Click image for larger version

Name:	30.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	241951  

Old 05-25-2006, 02:33 AM
Aristocracy

I do agree Skydragon as a rule it seems when in doubt blame Charles, it's easy.
But the situation with Poundbury, I think might be a little different, I think Charles could be somewhat at fault.
The impression I have received from what I read about Poundsbury is phases 2 +3 aren't quite keeping to Charles original vision as phase 1 Poundbury (the town we have all seen). The Duchy of Cornwall goal is to make money for Charles and Poundbury has I believe made money. I don't think Charles original vision is a being adherred to quite as closely as phase 1 due to profit motives. Charles I believe is involved in phases 2 +3.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:33 AM
Commoner

From what I read from the article the mayor doesn't seem to be criticising HRH but is more upset that the development isn't following his original plans
Old 05-25-2006, 05:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Amina
From what I read from the article the mayor doesn't seem to be criticising HRH but is more upset that the development isn't following his original plans
I'm sorry guys and gals, all I was saying is that the way the press twist things, within a few weeks/months/years, it will somehow have been Charles' fault.

He has done IMO, a brilliant job of giving the people of Poundbury a decent looking place to live, while still making money for the duchy.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Carey calls for a multi-faith coronation

LORD CAREY, the former Archbishop of Canterbury, has surprised senior clerics by calling for a “multi-faith” coronation when the Prince of Wales succeeds to the throne.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...210096,00.html
Old 06-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Courtier

I am very surprised to hear Lord Carey to say so and certainly his statement will stir the pot. Prince Charles may amend his idea of the faiths and find a proper way to keep christian traditions and defend other faiths. One thing I felt respected him is that Prince Charles is willing to understand the difference between the west and the east and find a peaceful way for both sides. Just hope Charles would understand China more and be more tactful about things.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince visits college for rabbis

The Prince of Wales is to visit a training centre for rabbis to mark its 50th anniversary.
Prince Charles will be given a tour of the Leo Baeck College in Finchley, north London.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5104954.stm
Old 06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

LONDON, United Kingdom: Britain's Prince Charles (L) participates in an interfaith dialogue project between rabbinic students and young Muslim students from another college, during his visit at the Leo Baeck College in Finchley, in London, 22 June 2006. Britain's Prince Charles heard an Auschwitz survivor recount how his wife and baby son were killed in the Nazi gas chambers when the heir to the throne visited the Jewish Museum on Thursday

from getty and polfoto
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71269747.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	250943   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	250963   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	250964   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	250965  

Name:	14.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	250966   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	250967   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	250968   Click image for larger version

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	250969  

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	250970  
Old 09-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Courtier

Christian, Muslim, Sikh and Jewish: multi-faith coronation for Charles
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ncharles24.xml
Old 09-24-2006, 10:56 AM

Alison Ruoff says it all, "is no way that other faiths should be involved in the service. This is a Christian country and so the coronation service must remain exclusively Christian and we should not apologise for that". Well done Alison.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc
Christian, Muslim, Sikh and Jewish: multi-faith coronation for Charles
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ncharles24.xml
As long as the CofE is the established church, Charles will be expected to take the same oath to maintain it that the Queen did at her coronation. However, the country is far more multicultural, with far more faiths and more atheists, than in the 1950s, and if the monarchy is to mean anything other than religious exclusion to people, they're going to have to recognise that.

Personally as a nontheist I'm not thrilled about Charles wanting to be "Defender of Faith" rather than "Defender of the Faith." The latter category comes with the territory of having an established church; the former is simply discrimination. He's going to be king of everyone, not just of theists.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Personally as a nontheist I'm not thrilled about Charles wanting to be "Defender of Faith" rather than "Defender of the Faith." The latter category comes with the territory of having an established church; the former is simply discrimination. He's going to be king of everyone, not just of theists.
Interesting way to view the topic. Thank you for offering it, Elspeth. I never thought that far but of course you are right. We either accept that religion nowadays is a private matter and has nothing to do with the state/monarchy, then we must leave the whole matter of faith (which faith?) or no faith out of it or we have to be honest and say that on following traditions we follow in the old paths of religious discrimination. You can't have it both ways.

I could imagine, though, that prince Charles would say that even nontheists have something good they believe in, be it honesty in the way you lead your life or goodness in the way you try to deal with the world and that this constitutes a "faith" in something, even if that faith is not one in God.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Alison Ruoff says it all, "is no way that other faiths should be involved in the service. This is a Christian country and so the coronation service must remain exclusively Christian and we should not apologise for that". Well done Alison.
I think the tradition should be the same. As long as it is the Church of England then what is wrong with the tradition? I understand Charles being "Defender of Faith" but that doesn't mean that he has to incorporate every religion in existance into the ceremony. He merely recognized that there are other religions that the people of his kingdom practice. If the monarchy was Catholic (just an example) then I would expect whatever would happen in a Catholic coronation (crowned by Pope Benedict?), etc. JMHO.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles honors Harry Williams

Britain's Prince Charles has praised the ministry of Harry Williams, the homosexual dean of Cambridge University who died earlier this year at 86.
The prince is endorsing Williams in a forward to a new book of essays penned by the late theologian, the Telegraph reported.

Prince Charles praises gay priest
Prince Charles joins gay church debate
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Prince Charles honors Harry Williams

Britain's Prince Charles has praised the ministry of Harry Williams, the homosexual dean of Cambridge University who died earlier this year at 86.
The prince is endorsing Williams in a forward to a new book of essays penned by the late theologian, the Telegraph reported.

Prince Charles praises gay priest
Prince Charles joins gay church debate

Good for him! He's a free-thinker and a brave man. I bet the Church wishes he wasn't quite so liberal in his views though, or at least would keep them to himself.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
Good for him! He's a free-thinker and a brave man. I bet the Church wishes he wasn't quite so liberal in his views though, or at least would keep them to himself.
He is decent enough to know that sexual orientation is a choice people make, but it doesn't define you or take away from any accomplishments. The Prince wants people to know the man for the great things he did in his life.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
He is decent enough to know that sexual orientation is a choice people make, but it doesn't define you or take away from any accomplishments. The Prince wants people to know the man for the great things he did in his life.
I agree.

Its a pity the same attitude cannot be given to the Prince himself. There are those who just cannot move on from his first marriage and look at the positive things he has done.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Future King's faith role queried
BBC NEWS | UK | Faith call for Charles coronation

Old 10-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Royal Highness

Today and on Sunday too, you could read in every UK-newspaper about the dicussion wheather Charles will be ´Defender of Faith´ or ´ Defender of the Faith´ when he is King.
I read about this question same years ago when Charles said in an interview that he wishes to become ´Defender of Faith´, but why does this dicussion starts again now?
Is it because the royal couple will visit another Islamic state?
Is it because the people begin to think about a King Charles?

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales, religious tolerance