Prince Charles: Potential Prince Regent?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A Regent is never a "co-monarch", the Queen is and remains the head of state and monarch. A Regent(ess) will do everything in her name and/or on her behalf.

A co-monarch was William III of Nassau, Prince of Orange, Stadtholder of the United Netherlands as well King of England, Scotland and Ireland. After the death of his spouse Mary II Stuart, the co-monarchy ended and he became the only monarch.

:flowers:

I'm thinking Jack Russells instead of labs. The labs are in Balmoral and Sandringham

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Oooh, perhaps if this happens, there will be an acknowledged Royal Moggie.

I dont think the RF are cat people. Cats are superior animals and don't look up to humans...so kind of likely that the RF would prefer dogs. As WInston Churchill said "A cat looks down on you, a dog looks up to you but a pig looks on you as an equal" :)

Or, "A dog has a master and mistress, a cat has staff!' (I like both but I'm a dog person, really.)

I dont think the RF are cat people. Cats are superior animals and don't look up to humans...so kind of likely that the RF would prefer dogs. As WInston Churchill said "A cat looks down on you, a dog looks up to you but a pig looks on you as an equal" :)

:previous:Princess Michael likes Siamese cats. I can say from personal experience that they can be little devils even at the best of times! :D

Yes Prss Michael has cats, or had them. But she is generally pretty unusual in her tastes.
I doubt if Charles would ever become Regent. I can't see the queen really wanting it, and even if she was really getting on and poorly, I think she would just let Charles take ove most of the work...

The Emperor of Japan precisely wants to abdicate because he thinks that the exercise of the imperial prerogatives should be in hands of the Emperor, not of a Regent. Possibly Queen Elizabeth has the same opinion, with the difference that she enjoys a good health and her Japanese "colleague" is in frail state.

A Regent is never a "co-monarch", the Queen is and remains the head of state and monarch. A Regent(ess) will do everything in her name and/or on her behalf.

A co-monarch was William III of Nassau, Prince of Orange, Stadtholder of the United Netherlands as well King of England, Scotland and Ireland. After the death of his spouse Mary II Stuart, the co-monarchy ended and he became the only monarch.

:flowers:

Absolutely. I can not see Elizabeth giving up her life's work, although Charles is in a much more stable state than he was 20 years ago.

I've not seen "Regent" in this aspect before. Usually termed with non adult heirs to the throne which Victoria nearly was ..... lucky for her William stood his ground and waited until she was of age!

The Prince Regent was Regent to an adult King who was incapable of carrying out the duties of King.

If the Queen did become incapable - not beyond the realms of possibility - then Charles automatically becomes Regent.

Unless that happens the Queen won't give up any of her prerogatives and rights - minor duties sure but the real powerful ones - no - those she will never voluntarily hand over.

My favorite is "Dogs think they're humans. Cats *know* they're gods". :D

I am greatly confused by the effects of a regency in the Commonwealth realms.

I know that, in New Zealand, the constitution says that the person who becomes regent in the UK also automatically assumes the powers and prerogatives of the Sovereign in right of New Zealand as long as the regency lasts, so there are no issues there.

However, from the research I have done, the most common opinion seems to be that a regency would not automatically extend to Australia or Canada. If that is indeed the case, what would Australia and Canada have to do for Charles to become a regent then ? Since regency affects the powers of the Queen and those powers are outlined in the constitution, would a constitutional amendment be required ? Or could Canada and Australia handle the matter by ordinary legislation as they have done with the recent changes to the succession law ? Since regency does not imply succession, I don't think there is a precedent and we are probably going into unchartered territory here.

Could anyone please shed some light on the matter ?

Last edited:
What is the Queen actually doing in the Commonwealth realms? She isn't signing legislation like in the UK. The various GGs are doing the day to day stuff that the Queen does in the UK. There appears to be very little that only the Queen has only the power to do.

Last edited:
What is the Queen actually doing in the Commonwealth realms? She isn't signing legislation like in the UK. The various GGs are doing the day to day stuff that the Queen does in the UK. There appears to be very little that only the Queen has only the power to do.

For starters, what if the Governor General resigns or, for some reason, has to be replaced during the regency ? A new GG would have to be appointed and it is not clear if the regent could do that as the constitution of Australia for example says that the GG is "appointed by the Queen" and confers no power whatsoever on a possible regent in the UK acting on behalf of the Queen.

If the Queen is incapacitated and the regent cannot appoint a new GG, there is a risk one of the realms might be without a sitting GG or a functioning monarch until the regency ends, meaning e.g. that no orders in council could be issued, or no acts of parliament could receive royal assent. In other words, government would be paralyzed.

It is true that an abdication would require British legislation declaring the throne vacant, but the realms could conceivably handle it as they handled the Succession to the Crown Act 2013. In the alternative scenario where a regency is set up instead of an abdication, as I said, it is not clear to me what the realms would have to do.

Last edited:
:previous: The Queen wouldn't know most nominees for Governor General on a personal level. Each government submits their 'choice' and HM kindly rubber-stamps it

In the event, I can't see it causing much of a blip on the radar of Australia or Canada should the situation arise.

If Prince Charles was Prince Regent, would he be able to let Prince William see the Red Boxes while Elizabeth II was The Queen?

Prince William already sees some of the papers in the red boxes, that relate to his areas of interest, and will be progressively seeing more over time - just as Charles now sees them all and has done for at least two decades.

As Prince Regent - should that situation ever arise - then Charles would no doubt give William total access as part of his preparation to be King.

Back
Top Bottom