The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-23-2013, 05:58 AM
Courtier

I can see a scenario after Philip dies where the queen starts to break down body and spirit wise. She has knee problems already. She gives more things to Charles such as investitures and travel. But I don't see abdication at all. If something major happened health or mentally, then you would get the regency with Charles.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Courtier

I think the Queen is very determined to continue throughout her life. I don't think Charles will worry too much about performing the duties without the status of being King.

I find people's comments about the causes of longevity interesting. I am an militant non-smoker, but smoking or being exposed to second-hand smoke is only one factor in longevity.

The Queen Mother lived to be 101 years old even though she lived with a heavy smoker, and I think she occasionally smoked, too. The Queen, who is currently 87, also lived with a heavy smoker while she was growing up. I don't know, but I would be surprised if Prince Philip, who is currently 92, never smoked or didn't spent a lot of time in the company of smokers. He was in the service during World War II where smoking was very common.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I think the Queen is very determined to continue throughout her life. I don't think Charles will worry too much about performing the duties without the status of being King.

I find people's comments about the causes of longevity interesting. I am an militant non-smoker, but smoking or being exposed to second-hand smoke is only one factor in longevity.

The Queen Mother lived to be 101 years old even though she lived with a heavy smoker, and I think she occasionally smoked, too. The Queen, who is currently 87, also lived with a heavy smoker while she was growing up. I don't know, but I would be surprised if Prince Philip, who is currently 92, never smoked or didn't spent a lot of time in the company of smokers. He was in the service during World War II where smoking was very common.
Other illnesses kill apart from smoking. Stress of worrying about people smoking is not good for you.

Generally longevity of the time is a better indicator and so are life conditions. A woman born in 1900 in a working class and industrial environment would have stood little or no chance of living to old age, compared with a woman from a wealthy family, brought up in the country who never had to undertake physical work. The only time they were on equal ground is childbirth - but the wealthy woman would still have some advantage.

Physically the Queen is slowing down; mentally no sign. But she is changing her approach - William taking on additional duties, doing engagements with others (Notably Camilla). If she has a problem fulfilling her role, the I think (picking up from a previous post) she would step down.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Majesty

Prince Charles regards role of king as 'prison', aide claims-
Prince Charles regards role of king as 'prison', aide claims - Telegraph

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Massive difference between "aides say" and "Charles admits"
'Why I fear being King': Charles reveals his worry at becoming 'imprisoned' by burden of the job | Mail Online
Old 10-25-2013, 04:57 AM
Serene Highness

I think his words will be taken out of context.

But be a Constitutional Monarch is a difficult job. People who thinks it is just waves and cutting ribbons are very stupid.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I think his words will be taken out of context.

But be a Constitutional Monarch is a difficult job. People who thinks it is just waves and cutting ribbons are very stupid.
But they were not his words- supposedly the words of an unnamed aide. But hey it's an attention getting headline.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 PM
Majesty

Video:
Clarence House denies Prince likened becoming king to 'prison'-
BBC News - Clarence House denies Prince likened becoming king to 'prison'

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
But they were not his words- supposedly the words of an unnamed aide. But hey it's an attention getting headline.
I can very well see the media taking these comments out of context especially the rats that love to pounce on Charles for any little reason.

We know, as well as Charles does, that he's going to be a lot more limited in what he can do and say once he does become King. He's spent or will have spent nearly a half century carving out a role as Prince of Wales and when it is all listed in black and white, the list is quite impressive. He didn't have to do all the things that he has done. He could very well have been a "party king-in-waiting" sitting in a gilded carriage and eating bon bons. David and Wallis come to mind. They were pure social people and he was a beloved Prince of Wales before becoming King.

Charles, by nature, is a intelligent, caring and passionate man that has done so much for people in his trusts and charities and driven to preserve a sustainable life for not only his family, but the world at large. Whether or not it was an aide that knows Charles well or Charles himself that has stated that being a monarch is kind of like a "prison", when you think about it, it is. He knows what lies ahead and also realizes that it is time to get all the ducks in a row to have his works carried onward into the future.

The British monarchy, in my opinion, is entering into a transitional phase. Its amusing to notice at this time, that transitional is also the term used to describe the next year for William. As Charles is gearing up more and more to follow in his mother's footsteps, so will Charles also ensure that William is ready to step into the role as the Duke of Cornwall and perhaps Prince of Wales.

Its not that he won't be or doesn't want to be monarch, its the reality of knowing well just what the duties, roles and expectations are of a monarch.
If I remember right, when the abdication of Edward VIII took place, a then very young Princess Margaret asked her sister Elizabeth "so this means you will be Queen someday?". When Elizabeth answered that she would be, Margaret's response was "poor you".

So many of us like to follow the royals and admire the tiaras and the gowns and the privileges that these people have, sometimes I think they could very well be wishing they could be a farmer/painter in Tuscany or simple country folk up in Scotland. The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. It just appears to be.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
A woman born in 1900 in a working class and industrial environment would have stood little or no chance of living to old age, compared with a woman from a wealthy family, brought up in the country who never had to undertake physical work. The only time they were on equal ground is childbirth - but the wealthy woman would still have some advantage.

Generally I would agree with you but my family is the exact opposite:

Paternal grandmother - born 1884 - working class, started full-time work aged 12 and worked until she retired in her mid-60s except for the times she had her four children. Died - aged 88.

Maternal grandmother - born 1908 - upper class, didn't work until the outbreak of WWII - and then only because as a woman with no pre-school children she was required to do so and did office work from 9 - 3 only and as soon as the war ended retired to never work again - had one child - died aged 66.

As for the article that triggered this discussion - one of those stories where a series of people have made comments, and then reports about the full article chose some words and put them into the mouths of people who didn't necessarily say them.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Majesty

'You're lucky. I'm totally trapped': In his own astonishing words, what Prince Charles really thinks about his gilded cage by close confidante Selina Scott-
'You're lucky. I'm totally trapped': In his own astonishing words, what Prince Charles really thinks about his gilded cage by close confidante Selina Scott | Mail Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Heir Apparent

According to the writer of the Times piece, the British media "sexed up" her article and the prison quote is not in the text. This is the reason why Charles and william have spoken to serious (not sure UK has any right now) journalists. UK media is embarassing.

Link to Catherine Meyer comment from the BBC

BBC News - Time UK editor: Charles prison quote 'sexed up'

PS if his "close confident" Selina Scott has spoken out on confidential matters, then she isn't close any longer.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Majesty

People may think Charles will be very restricted when he's King but something tells me that Charles will be Charles. I think even The Queen, royal family and even palace officials know that Charles will carry on the role in the best way he see fit.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
People may think Charles will be very restricted when he's King but something tells me that Charles will be Charles. I think even The Queen, royal family and even palace officials know that Charles will carry on the role in the best way he see fit.
He will be more constrained than he is now - that is a fact. The Monarch is a "neutral" role, and any intervention is confidential. He may question more but he cannot actively engage as he does now.

My concern is that William will not engage as his father has done - or even his grandfather.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
My concern is that William will not engage as his father has done - or even his grandfather.
I think in this respect I can see both parents in William. He won't just be a patron on a letterhead but hands on and involved in whatever he takes on. Like Diana, he'll have the charisma with working with people and like Charles, he'll be passionate about it.

The difference that William has is that I've seen a lot of the charities and foundation work going global. I wouldn't be one bit surprised too if and when Charles does become King, all of the Prince's Trust and Charles' causes merge with the Royal Foundation and become one under the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Harry.

If you really think about it, as King, Charles can really still stay involved albeit a "silent partner". It'll be his sons that he can talk to and express concerns, ideas and suggestions.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well if W and H were to suddenly start harping about modern architecture, organic gardening and alternative medicine, I think most people would detect the hand of Charles pretty much right off the bat.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Well if W and H were to suddenly start harping about modern architecture, organic gardening and alternative medicine, I think most people would detect the hand of Charles pretty much right off the bat.
I agree wholeheartedly with you on that and I think too that his sons are stubborn enough too to stick to their guns when it comes to something they believe or don't believe in. They're definitely not yes men puppets. Growing up with their father, I'm sure they're very well aware of Charles' passions.