The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Serene Highness

I don't think a Regency will be necessary, only if The Queen become senile.

If Her Majesty live as long as her mother - which I think it's very likely - she can do only her constitutional duties, like meetings with the Prime Minister, signing laws and receive new ambassadors, those things she'll be able to do even in a wheelchair.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall can do the cerimonial duties. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think The Prince of Wales can perform the State Opening of the Parliament in the name of Her Majesty.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unless QEII is mentally incapacitated, there is zero reason for C to be Prince Regent. He's going to have wait his turn, just as the heir to any other mentally fit sovereign of Britain has. Honestly, while the female line in BRF is extremely long lived; the same cannot be said of the males. Given that George V died at 70, George VI died at 56, Edward VIII died at 77, there exists the strong possibility that QEII may well outlive Charles.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Given that George V died at 70, George VI died at 56, Edward VIII died at 77, there exists the strong possibility that QEII may well outlive Charles.
Given that The Duke of Edinburgh is an active 92 years old man, I believe there's a strong possibility The Prince of Wales will outlive his mother, becoming the old and well-beloved King Charles III.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Only time will tell! May we have QEII for another 20 years at least!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

Given that The Duke of Edinburgh is an active 92 years old man, I believe there's a strong possibility The Prince of Wales will outlive his mother, becoming the old and well-beloved King Charles III.
And HIS father lived to be 62.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Only time will tell! May we have QEII for another 20 years at least!
I hope so. But I have no problem with a 85 years old man becoming King.

Quote:
And HIS father lived to be 62.
I'm not an expert in genetics, but I believe The Prince of Wales has more chances to inherit his father's longevity than health problems of his grandfathers and great-grandfathers, who were all heavy smokers. And His Royal Highness is a very health conscious man. In my opinion we'll have him around for a long time. And I thank God for such a blessing.

Sounds like you want him to die soon. If it's true, what a horrible desire.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Nobility

Is this really a discussion about when Charles will die??
Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
Is this really a discussion about when Charles will die??
It is about old age; mental health and physical health - the potential of a regency is not a comfortable subject.

I watched HMQ at the National Theatre today. Sadly, I can see that she is slowing down physically. Her steps were more hesitant and so much slower. I wasn't expecting it so it has taken me by surprise.

She once said that she needed to be seen to be believed (words to that effect - someone will correct me). I dont want a situation where she cannot be out there being seen and still ruling, and consigning Charles to carry out all the work without the status. That would be very harsh.

She needs to be realistic as time passes, and not blindly follow a 60+ year promise. The country, other realms and Commonwealth must be the priority

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

I hope so. But I have no problem with a 85 years old man becoming King.

I'm not an expert in genetics, but I believe The Prince of Wales has more chances to inherit his father's longevity than health problems of his grandfathers and great-grandfathers, who were all heavy smokers. And His Royal Highness is a very health conscious man. In my opinion we'll have him around for a long time. And I thank God for such a blessing.

Sounds like you want him to die soon. If it's true, what a horrible desire.
Please don't put words in my mouth. I do know something about genetics. And Charles has lived/spent every possible moment with a very heavy smoker for decades who in the last few years finally stopped . Are you acquainted with the research on second hand smoke?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

And it begins...

Charles' ancestors were typically long lived, even those who didn't necessarily have the best lifestyles. A lot of the more recent younger deaths have been among individuals who didn't have healthy lifestyles and had often long histories of ill health. While Charles may not have always made the best decisions, he doesn't have a history of health problems himself and in a lot of ways he does tend to lead a healthy lifestyle.

As for if the Queen will ever need a regent, never say never. While we all may hope that the Queen has a longer and healthy life (she's already had a long one in my opinion), as none of us has a crystal ball we can't say that her health won't change and a regent won't be required. What I can say is that if Charles is required to become regent then he'll do a good job at it, although I hope it doesn't happen as I wouldn't wish the health problems necessary for the Queen to need a regent.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Commoner

There is ultimately no real way to tell about longevity. QEII father dies young even for his era but the Queen Mum hung pretty strong even nearing the end - we don't know which side Charles will favor and it seems to me QEII is still going strong even as she passes some duties off to Charles, William etc.

She appears to still be doing a fair share of her work herself .
Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Majesty

It must be remembered though that George VI was a heavy smoker and drinker which contributed to his early death - Charles hasn't done those things.

If we go through his immediate ancestors:

Mother - 87 - still going
Father - 92 - still going
Maternal grandfather - died 56 - heavy smoker and drinker, highly stressful like from about 40 onwards
Maternal grandmother - died 101
Paternal grandfather - died 62 - had stressful time facing death penalty and then heavy drinker and smoker
Maternal grandmother - died 84.

Average age of these 6 - 80.3 and going up.
Average age of his parents - 89.5 and increasing.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
It is about old age; mental health and physical health - the potential of a regency is not a comfortable subject.

I watched HMQ at the National Theatre today. Sadly, I can see that she is slowing down physically. Her steps were more hesitant and so much slower. I wasn't expecting it so it has taken me by surprise.

She once said that she needed to be seen to be believed (words to that effect - someone will correct me). I dont want a situation where she cannot be out there being seen and still ruling, and consigning Charles to carry out all the work without the status. That would be very harsh.

She needs to be realistic as time passes, and not blindly follow a 60+ year promise. The country, other realms and Commonwealth must be the priority

We do need to look at the words of that 65 year old promise - to serve all my life.

It wasn't 'to be your Queen' or something like that. If the best way for her to 'serve' is to step aside then she would do so and not be breaking the promise.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It must be remembered though that George VI was a heavy smoker and drinker which contributed to his early death - Charles hasn't done those things.

If we go through his immediate ancestors:

Mother - 87 - still going
Father - 92 - still going
Maternal grandfather - died 56 - heavy smoker and drinker, highly stressful like from about 40 onwards
Maternal grandmother - died 101
Paternal grandfather - died 62 - had stressful time facing death penalty and then heavy drinker and smoker
Maternal grandmother - died 84.

Average age of these 6 - 80.3 and going up.
Average age of his parents - 89.5 and increasing.
King George VI also had a lot of unexpected pressures: inheriting a throne he never thought he would inherit, and valiantly supporting his country through a horrific war and the Blitz. I love all these attributes about the man, but that's a lot of stress!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post
King George VI also had a lot of unexpected pressures: inheriting a throne he never thought he would inherit, and valiantly supporting his country through a horrific war and the Blitz. I love all these attributes about the man, but that's a lot of stress!

Those were the things I was referring to with the 'stressful life from age 40'.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

While you raise an interesting point there, I wonder if she would see the promise in the same way.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Those were the things I was referring to with the 'stressful life from age 40'.
I know - I've had a long day and I babbled, excuse me
Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Courtier

One thing to remember is that The Queen is the sovereign while her Mother was the consort but at the same when looking through history most Queens/Queens Consorts seem to have more longevity then a lot of Kings have. Only one King lived to be older then 80 and that was George III even so he was not capable in the last nine years or so of his Reign and his son had to act as Regent. Both George VI and William IV died in their late late 60s and early 70s which by today standards early 70s seem young. Queen Victoria father died when he was 52. Queen Victoria lived to 81. King Edward VII was 68 when he died, King George V was 70 while King George VI was 52 and all three of them were heavy smokers also George V and George VI both had the stress of a Global War. All their wives lived into their 80s and in in the case of the Queen Mother she lived to 101.

Charles doesn't snoke or drink, yes he does lived with a smoker (or former smoker) but while second hand smoking can be bad it not not like smoking yourself.

Charles got great genes considering his health, the longevity of his parent and grandmothers and a few great Grandmothers as well.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Courtier

I recently finished a book on George III and was amazed he lived that long considering the time and circumstances!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Please don't put words in my mouth. I do know something about genetics. And Charles has lived/spent every possible moment with a very heavy smoker for decades who in the last few years finally stopped . Are you acquainted with the research on second hand smoke?
For the heck of it, I just got done reading Stephen Barry's "Royal Service, My 12 Years as valet to Prince Charles". Charles abhorred smoking and although Camilla's smoking (or Camilla) never came up in the book, its very possible that she had designated areas for smoking when she was around him. My brother hates smoking and as a very heavy smoker for most of my life, I would smoke either outside, in the garage or in the basement out of respect.

I don't think other smoker's habits could/would have a big effect on Charles' health. I would think most that knew him and were around him, respected him enough to not smoke around him.

Charles is very much a health conscious person and always has been. He watches what he puts into his body as far as foods go, has never been a heavy drinker and, like a lot of the Windsors, believe that a good regime of exercise is important. I found it funny in Barry's book where he states that Charles is fast. He doesn't just walk. He runs.

HM will be Queen until she draws her final breath and to be honest, I think that Charles would prefer it to be that way. It is nice to know though that should an occasion arise where Charles would have to have Parliament declare a regency, he is more than ready to.