Prince Charles Being Political?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
The press nowadays make an issue out of everything. Its really quite pathetic.

^^^^
Well there job is actually to explain the who what when where and why, not to make something out of nothing.

It is the summer in the UK, the royals and politicians are effectively on holidays, so the media has to find non-stories to make into stories to fill the pages of their rags and to justify the salaries of their reporters.

Lay off Prince Charles. He's doing his best to make the modern monarchy matter | Vernon Bogdanor | Comment is free | The Guardian

Great article and from the Guardian not less !

In HRH The Man Who Will Be King, Tim Heald and Mayo Mohe wrote:

Says one American journalist who has traveled with Prince Charles, 'The guy works so hard you'd think he was running for office.'

I see that Prince Charles plans to speak out on various topics as well once he's king:

Britain's Prince Charles To Make 'Heartfelt Interventions' As King

He should resign from the Royal Family and run for elected office instead if he wishes to make those "heartfelt interventions", since the job of King does not include such things. Doesn't he realize that his mother is so beloved in part because she stays out of public debates?

I see that Prince Charles plans to speak out on various topics as well once he's king:

He should resign from the Royal Family and run for elected office instead if he wishes to make those "heartfelt interventions", since the job of King does not include such things. Doesn't he realize that his mother is so beloved in part because she stays out of public debates?

That's an interesting idea, but if he did that he would become a politician and as we all ought to know, politicians are the least suited to being in politics.

Why believe everything written about the BRF? I'm British and I definitely dont believe it.

Also, this 3rd or 4th hand reporting. None of us know whether there is an iota of truth in this report and wont until he becomes king.

Why believe everything written about the BRF? I'm British and I definitely dont believe it.

Also, this 3rd or 4th hand reporting. None of us know whether there is an iota of truth in this report and wont until he becomes king.

Good Grief, you are 100% correct. Being American, I read American newspapers and listen to world news on TV. Then I go to internet and read Australian, British and German articles from their newspapers on the exact same topic. Try it sometimes. Your eyes will cross on the garbage that is printed telling the same event!

There we have it folks. From "an ally of the Prince" and a "close friend". In other words, those who cannot be named or perhaps don't even really have names. Who knows? The only credible statement in this article is the one issued was issued by the Prince's office:

"The prince's office, Clarence House, declined to comment on his plans for the throne. "Speculation about the Prince of Wales’s future role as king has been around for decades but it is not something we have commented on and nor will we do so now," a spokeswoman said."

To be honest, I don't even think it will be necessary for Charles to do any kind of "heartfelt interventions" anywhere. Over the past decades he has worked hard to set up organizations and programs to support and establish ways of life and ways of doing things that he is passionate about and I rather doubt that once he is crowned King, these will cease to exist. He's got trusted people on board and can privately guide and advise without going public about it.

He will be very much hands on and in the know about what's going on around him and like previous monarchs, will meet with the PM of the government of the day and most likely will be very interested, very informed and perhaps even very vocal but it will not be something he does publically. He's too ingrained in tradition and knows what is expected of a monarch to disregard protocol and most likely, to him, sully the memory of his mother.

A comical scenario did pop into my mind though. Picture it...

PM's wife: You're meeting with His Majesty tomorrow aren't you?
PM: Yes love, I'm packing now. Did you remember to pick up those snacks and my other best suit from the cleaners that I asked you to?
PM's wife: I did. You're packing that much for the monthly meeting?
PM: I need to be prepared. You remember that last session we had took 3 days and it was the shortest one yet. I want to be prepared this time.

All we can do is wait and see what happens. I think Charles will make a good King and always have the best interests of his people at heart.

Anyone who believes that The Queen doesn't make her views known on issues is kidding themselves and Charles will do the same thing. As long as he does so privately - such as the weekly meetings with the PM or when he meets with other ministers of the Crown (which the Queen does now as well, particularly when they attend Privy Council meetings or at other events) and doesn't actively and openly oppose government policy or support one party or the other he will be fine.

That is what The Queen has done - made her views known - but privately. She does speak out.

When Prince Charles ascends the throne, he will tone down his enthusiasm.

You what! It's a newspaper report!

Good Grief, you are 100% correct. Being American, I read American newspapers and listen to world news on TV. Then I go to internet and read Australian, British and German articles from their newspapers on the exact same topic. Try it sometimes. Your eyes will cross on the garbage that is printed telling the same event!

There we have it folks. From "an ally of the Prince" and a "close friend". In other words, those who cannot be named or perhaps don't even really have names. Who knows? The only credible statement in this article is the one issued was issued by the Prince's office:

"The prince's office, Clarence House, declined to comment on his plans for the throne. "Speculation about the Prince of Wales’s future role as king has been around for decades but it is not something we have commented on and nor will we do so now," a spokeswoman said." . .
And there you have it. Cepe is British and she doesn't believe it. Winnie from the US is pretty jaundiced about the whole deal and Osipi closed the circle. Oh, and I'm a Kiwi and I don't believe it either. I do however, agree with Cepe, Winnie and Osipi!

Just thinking . . . does anyone else think "Alien Abductions" when these, erm, reports are printed. I just can't help thinking . . . they forgot to return them with all their faculties. :whistling:

Just thinking . . . does anyone else think "Alien Abductions" when these, erm, reports are printed. I just can't help thinking . . . they forgot to return them with all their faculties. :whistling:

I'm leaning towards being returned with ETP. Extra Terrestrial Perception. Lots more open space between the ears that perceives to read those purple molecules that really know what's what. :lol:

I don't see the fuss about the validity of the article. Prince Charles is known for speaking out and for making his views known on a variety of issues. The article just states that he will continue to do so once he is king. I just think that is a very bad idea. I don't doubt the articles since they just state that his well-known behavior will continue; why is that a surprise?

Well this is my honest and slightly lengthy opinion;

At the moment, Britain is in a bit of a quagmire politically. Everyone has opinions but nobody has the opportunity to turn those opinions into actions. Nobody - except the Prince of Wales. To understand British politics, you need to understand that Britain has only ever really had two major political parties. The Conservatives and The Labour Party.

As a matter of fact, long before the Labour Party existed, the British government actually alternated between the Conservatives and the Liberal Party, which was also part of the "establishment", but advocated reform within the system such as extension of voting rights and Irish home rule for example.

I don't see the fuss about the validity of the article. Prince Charles is known for speaking out and for making his views known on a variety of issues. The article just states that he will continue to do so once he is king. I just think that is a very bad idea. I don't doubt the articles since they just state that his well-known behavior will continue; why is that a surprise?

By contrast, Prince William is not known to have ever expressed political opinions in public.

Just another reason why many people would rather see William than Charles on the throne.

Charles has much more pressing and immediate concerns. The Supreme Court is ruling on Monday whether to order the release of years worth of letters Charles wrote to government officials.

Letters in the words of former Attorney General Dominic Grieve:

"Much of the correspondence does indeed reflect the Prince of Wales's most deeply held personal views and beliefs. The letters in this case are in many cases particularly frank."

"They also contain remarks about public affairs which would in my view, if revealed, have had a material effect upon the willingness of the government to engage in correspondence with the Prince of Wales, and would potentially have undermined his position of political neutrality.

"Disclosure of the correspondence could damage the Prince of Wales's ability to perform his duties when he becomes king"

Charles's problems may be just beginning

Last edited:
Charles has much more pressing and immediate concerns. The Supreme Court is ruling on Monday whether to order the release of years worth of letters Charles wrote to government officials.

Letters in the words of former Attorney General Dominic Grieve:

"Much of the correspondence does indeed reflect the Prince of Wales's most deeply held personal views and beliefs. The letters in this case are in many cases particularly frank."

"They also contain remarks about public affairs which would in my view, if revealed, have had a material effect upon the willingness of the government to engage in correspondence with the Prince of Wales, and would potentially have undermined his position of political neutrality.

"Disclosure of the correspondence could damage the Prince of Wales's ability to perform his duties when he becomes king"

I don't think the Supreme Court will authorize the release of the letters. The privacy of correspondence between the Crown and the ministers is a fundamental constitutional principle in the UK.

I seriously hope they rule that the letters will not be made public. Its an unique situation in that the letters with Charles' views and opinions were written during a time where he had every right to express himself as anyone else can but would be held against him in his future role as monarch.

I hope so too but a Freedom of Information Tribunal has already ordered the letters to be released but they were blocked by then Attorney General Grieve.

I can't say how the SC will rule but as AG Grieve said when he blocked the request

"It is a matter of the highest importance within our constitutional framework that the monarch is a politically neutral figure able to engage in confidence with the government of the day, whatever its political colour."

If Charles's political views become known he will be put in a very difficult position when he becomes king

Of course he will make his views known to the government of the day - just as The Queen has done for the last 62 years to the point where in the Blair years she let him know that she wouldn't actually sign legislation that would take away some of her rights so the legislation didn't even make it to parliament (it was to do with who declares war). She basically vetoed the legislation but before it went through the Houses and so doesn't count as the use of the veto.

I hope so too but a Freedom of Information Tribunal has already ordered the letters to be released but they were blocked by then Attorney General Grieve.

I can't say how the SC will rule but as AG Grieve said when he blocked the request

"It is a matter of the highest importance within our constitutional framework that the monarch is a politically neutral figure able to engage in confidence with the government of the day, whatever its political colour."

If Charles's political views become known he will be put in a very difficult position when he becomes king

Why? And what difference does it make in practical terms. No government is going to ask him to stand aside, and they wont put any legislation through to make him stand aside (the Queen wouldn't sign it)

None of the parties want that sort of crisis now. The BRF will carry on.

As Vernon Bogdanor stated (see earlier post by Nico) Charles knows the rules and will abide by them once he is king.

And if I can use the wording in the most recent piece - "heartfelt" pleas. They are not pro one political party beliefs or another, he speaks about the countryside, the planet, the build environment, conservation.

He cares - hence "heartfelt".

Blair really was a thorn in the BRF's side. I keep learning more about his adventures.

If a law/legislation directly effects the BRF, they should have every right to voice their opinions. It would be totalitarian nonsense otherwise.

Why? And what difference does it make in practical terms. No government is going to ask him to stand aside, and they wont put any legislation through to make him stand aside (the Queen wouldn't sign it)

None of the parties want that sort of crisis now. The BRF will carry on.

As Vernon Bogdanor stated (see earlier post by Nico) Charles knows the rules and will abide by them once he is king.

And if I can use the wording in the most recent piece - "heartfelt" pleas. They are not pro one political party beliefs or another, he speaks about the countryside, the planet, the build environment, conservation.

He cares - hence "heartfelt".

I don't pretend to be a lawyer. Ex AG Dominic Grieve said it not me

Back
Top Bottom