The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 11-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 303
I see that Prince Charles plans to speak out on various topics as well once he's king:


Britain's Prince Charles To Make 'Heartfelt Interventions' As King


He should resign from the Royal Family and run for elected office instead if he wishes to make those "heartfelt interventions", since the job of King does not include such things. Doesn't he realize that his mother is so beloved in part because she stays out of public debates?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 11-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
I see that Prince Charles plans to speak out on various topics as well once he's king:


Britain's Prince Charles To Make 'Heartfelt Interventions' As King


He should resign from the Royal Family and run for elected office instead if he wishes to make those "heartfelt interventions", since the job of King does not include such things. Doesn't he realize that his mother is so beloved in part because she stays out of public debates?
That's an interesting idea, but if he did that he would become a politician and as we all ought to know, politicians are the least suited to being in politics.
__________________

__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 11-22-2014, 02:55 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
I see that Prince Charles plans to speak out on various topics as well once he's king:


Britain's Prince Charles To Make 'Heartfelt Interventions' As King


He should resign from the Royal Family and run for elected office instead if he wishes to make those "heartfelt interventions", since the job of King does not include such things. Doesn't he realize that his mother is so beloved in part because she stays out of public debates?
Why believe everything written about the BRF? I'm British and I definitely dont believe it.

Also, this 3rd or 4th hand reporting. None of us know whether there is an iota of truth in this report and wont until he becomes king.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 11-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Why believe everything written about the BRF? I'm British and I definitely dont believe it.

Also, this 3rd or 4th hand reporting. None of us know whether there is an iota of truth in this report and wont until he becomes king.
Good Grief, you are 100% correct. Being American, I read American newspapers and listen to world news on TV. Then I go to internet and read Australian, British and German articles from their newspapers on the exact same topic. Try it sometimes. Your eyes will cross on the garbage that is printed telling the same event!
__________________
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet shed on the heel that crushed it - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 11-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,634
There we have it folks. From "an ally of the Prince" and a "close friend". In other words, those who cannot be named or perhaps don't even really have names. Who knows? The only credible statement in this article is the one issued was issued by the Prince's office:

"The prince's office, Clarence House, declined to comment on his plans for the throne. "Speculation about the Prince of Wales’s future role as king has been around for decades but it is not something we have commented on and nor will we do so now," a spokeswoman said."

To be honest, I don't even think it will be necessary for Charles to do any kind of "heartfelt interventions" anywhere. Over the past decades he has worked hard to set up organizations and programs to support and establish ways of life and ways of doing things that he is passionate about and I rather doubt that once he is crowned King, these will cease to exist. He's got trusted people on board and can privately guide and advise without going public about it.

He will be very much hands on and in the know about what's going on around him and like previous monarchs, will meet with the PM of the government of the day and most likely will be very interested, very informed and perhaps even very vocal but it will not be something he does publically. He's too ingrained in tradition and knows what is expected of a monarch to disregard protocol and most likely, to him, sully the memory of his mother.

A comical scenario did pop into my mind though. Picture it...

PM's wife: You're meeting with His Majesty tomorrow aren't you?
PM: Yes love, I'm packing now. Did you remember to pick up those snacks and my other best suit from the cleaners that I asked you to?
PM's wife: I did. You're packing that much for the monthly meeting?
PM: I need to be prepared. You remember that last session we had took 3 days and it was the shortest one yet. I want to be prepared this time.

All we can do is wait and see what happens. I think Charles will make a good King and always have the best interests of his people at heart.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 11-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,193
Anyone who believes that The Queen doesn't make her views known on issues is kidding themselves and Charles will do the same thing. As long as he does so privately - such as the weekly meetings with the PM or when he meets with other ministers of the Crown (which the Queen does now as well, particularly when they attend Privy Council meetings or at other events) and doesn't actively and openly oppose government policy or support one party or the other he will be fine.


That is what The Queen has done - made her views known - but privately. She does speak out.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 11-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 7,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
I see that Prince Charles plans to speak out on various topics as well once he's king:


Britain's Prince Charles To Make 'Heartfelt Interventions' As King


He should resign from the Royal Family and run for elected office instead if he wishes to make those "heartfelt interventions", since the job of King does not include such things. Doesn't he realize that his mother is so beloved in part because she stays out of public debates?
When Prince Charles ascends the throne, he will tone down his enthusiasm.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 11-23-2014, 12:08 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
I see that Prince Charles plans to speak out on various topics as well once he's king:


Britain's Prince Charles To Make 'Heartfelt Interventions' As King


He should resign from the Royal Family and run for elected office instead if he wishes to make those "heartfelt interventions", since the job of King does not include such things. Doesn't he realize that his mother is so beloved in part because she stays out of public debates?
You what! It's a newspaper report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Why believe everything written about the BRF? I'm British and I definitely dont believe it.

Also, this 3rd or 4th hand reporting. None of us know whether there is an iota of truth in this report and wont until he becomes king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Good Grief, you are 100% correct. Being American, I read American newspapers and listen to world news on TV. Then I go to internet and read Australian, British and German articles from their newspapers on the exact same topic. Try it sometimes. Your eyes will cross on the garbage that is printed telling the same event!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
There we have it folks. From "an ally of the Prince" and a "close friend". In other words, those who cannot be named or perhaps don't even really have names. Who knows? The only credible statement in this article is the one issued was issued by the Prince's office:

"The prince's office, Clarence House, declined to comment on his plans for the throne. "Speculation about the Prince of Wales’s future role as king has been around for decades but it is not something we have commented on and nor will we do so now," a spokeswoman said." . .
And there you have it. Cepe is British and she doesn't believe it. Winnie from the US is pretty jaundiced about the whole deal and Osipi closed the circle. Oh, and I'm a Kiwi and I don't believe it either. I do however, agree with Cepe, Winnie and Osipi!

Just thinking . . . does anyone else think "Alien Abductions" when these, erm, reports are printed. I just can't help thinking . . . they forgot to return them with all their faculties.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 11-23-2014, 02:06 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Just thinking . . . does anyone else think "Alien Abductions" when these, erm, reports are printed. I just can't help thinking . . . they forgot to return them with all their faculties.
I'm leaning towards being returned with ETP. Extra Terrestrial Perception. Lots more open space between the ears that perceives to read those purple molecules that really know what's what.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 11-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 303
I don't see the fuss about the validity of the article. Prince Charles is known for speaking out and for making his views known on a variety of issues. The article just states that he will continue to do so once he is king. I just think that is a very bad idea. I don't doubt the articles since they just state that his well-known behavior will continue; why is that a surprise?
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 11-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Well this is my honest and slightly lengthy opinion;

At the moment, Britain is in a bit of a quagmire politically. Everyone has opinions but nobody has the opportunity to turn those opinions into actions. Nobody - except the Prince of Wales. To understand British politics, you need to understand that Britain has only ever really had two major political parties. The Conservatives and The Labour Party.
As a matter of fact, long before the Labour Party existed, the British government actually alternated between the Conservatives and the Liberal Party, which was also part of the "establishment", but advocated reform within the system such as extension of voting rights and Irish home rule for example.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 11-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
I don't see the fuss about the validity of the article. Prince Charles is known for speaking out and for making his views known on a variety of issues. The article just states that he will continue to do so once he is king. I just think that is a very bad idea. I don't doubt the articles since they just state that his well-known behavior will continue; why is that a surprise?
By contrast, Prince William is not known to have ever expressed political opinions in public.

Just another reason why many people would rather see William than Charles on the throne.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 11-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,382
Charles has much more pressing and immediate concerns. The Supreme Court is ruling on Monday whether to order the release of years worth of letters Charles wrote to government officials.

Letters in the words of former Attorney General Dominic Grieve:

"Much of the correspondence does indeed reflect the Prince of Wales's most deeply held personal views and beliefs. The letters in this case are in many cases particularly frank."

"They also contain remarks about public affairs which would in my view, if revealed, have had a material effect upon the willingness of the government to engage in correspondence with the Prince of Wales, and would potentially have undermined his position of political neutrality.

"Disclosure of the correspondence could damage the Prince of Wales's ability to perform his duties when he becomes king"

Charles's problems may be just beginning
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 11-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Charles has much more pressing and immediate concerns. The Supreme Court is ruling on Monday whether to order the release of years worth of letters Charles wrote to government officials.

Letters in the words of former Attorney General Dominic Grieve:

"Much of the correspondence does indeed reflect the Prince of Wales's most deeply held personal views and beliefs. The letters in this case are in many cases particularly frank."

"They also contain remarks about public affairs which would in my view, if revealed, have had a material effect upon the willingness of the government to engage in correspondence with the Prince of Wales, and would potentially have undermined his position of political neutrality.

"Disclosure of the correspondence could damage the Prince of Wales's ability to perform his duties when he becomes king"

Charles's problems may be just beginning
I don't think the Supreme Court will authorize the release of the letters. The privacy of correspondence between the Crown and the ministers is a fundamental constitutional principle in the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 11-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Charles's problems may be just beginning
I seriously hope they rule that the letters will not be made public. Its an unique situation in that the letters with Charles' views and opinions were written during a time where he had every right to express himself as anyone else can but would be held against him in his future role as monarch.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 11-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,382
I hope so too but a Freedom of Information Tribunal has already ordered the letters to be released but they were blocked by then Attorney General Grieve.

I can't say how the SC will rule but as AG Grieve said when he blocked the request

"It is a matter of the highest importance within our constitutional framework that the monarch is a politically neutral figure able to engage in confidence with the government of the day, whatever its political colour."

If Charles's political views become known he will be put in a very difficult position when he becomes king
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 11-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
I don't see the fuss about the validity of the article. Prince Charles is known for speaking out and for making his views known on a variety of issues. The article just states that he will continue to do so once he is king. I just think that is a very bad idea. I don't doubt the articles since they just state that his well-known behavior will continue; why is that a surprise?
Of course he will make his views known to the government of the day - just as The Queen has done for the last 62 years to the point where in the Blair years she let him know that she wouldn't actually sign legislation that would take away some of her rights so the legislation didn't even make it to parliament (it was to do with who declares war). She basically vetoed the legislation but before it went through the Houses and so doesn't count as the use of the veto.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 11-23-2014, 04:19 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I hope so too but a Freedom of Information Tribunal has already ordered the letters to be released but they were blocked by then Attorney General Grieve.

I can't say how the SC will rule but as AG Grieve said when he blocked the request

"It is a matter of the highest importance within our constitutional framework that the monarch is a politically neutral figure able to engage in confidence with the government of the day, whatever its political colour."

If Charles's political views become known he will be put in a very difficult position when he becomes king
Why? And what difference does it make in practical terms. No government is going to ask him to stand aside, and they wont put any legislation through to make him stand aside (the Queen wouldn't sign it)

None of the parties want that sort of crisis now. The BRF will carry on.

As Vernon Bogdanor stated (see earlier post by Nico) Charles knows the rules and will abide by them once he is king.

And if I can use the wording in the most recent piece - "heartfelt" pleas. They are not pro one political party beliefs or another, he speaks about the countryside, the planet, the build environment, conservation.

He cares - hence "heartfelt".
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 11-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 965
Blair really was a thorn in the BRF's side. I keep learning more about his adventures.

If a law/legislation directly effects the BRF, they should have every right to voice their opinions. It would be totalitarian nonsense otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 11-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Why? And what difference does it make in practical terms. No government is going to ask him to stand aside, and they wont put any legislation through to make him stand aside (the Queen wouldn't sign it)

None of the parties want that sort of crisis now. The BRF will carry on.

As Vernon Bogdanor stated (see earlier post by Nico) Charles knows the rules and will abide by them once he is king.

And if I can use the wording in the most recent piece - "heartfelt" pleas. They are not pro one political party beliefs or another, he speaks about the countryside, the planet, the build environment, conservation.

He cares - hence "heartfelt".
I don't pretend to be a lawyer. Ex AG Dominic Grieve said it not me

"Disclosure of the correspondence could damage the Prince of Wales's ability to perform his duties when he becomes king"
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
politics, prince charles, prince of wales


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Disadvantages of Being Royal Eva-Britt Royal Chit Chat 99 07-19-2015 08:56 PM
Is William being set up to fail? mktv2000 Prince Harry and Prince William 72 12-17-2005 10:44 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style countess of wessex's eveningwear coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events danish royal family duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece jean kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess madeleine hats princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes fashion queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 spanish queen state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises