Imperial Majesty

Second round of Prince Charles’s ‘black spider memos’ released-
Second round of Prince Charles’s ‘black spider memos’ released

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Fron BBC News:

Prince Charles's letters reveal hospital and building concerns - BBC News

The letters seem to show concern for a variety of issues.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Majesty

Like some other members of the BRF, he acts as a Counsellor of State when the Queen is temporarily unavailable.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Qu...rsofState.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Prince of Wales can not be a state official. Only his mother is.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Heir Apparent

These letters are a dud.

Quote:
The Prince of Wales privately lobbied Alex Salmond when he was First Minister to help a stately home, a decaying castle and his own Highlands food brand, according to previously secret correspondence.

Extracts from seven letters released by the Scottish Government under Freedom of Information (FOI) legislation showed he also wrote to the former SNP leader calling for financial aid to the Soil Association in Scotland, of which he is patron, for an initiative promoting healthy food.

In his reply to the latter request, Mr Salmond asked his officials to investigate the possibility and signed off: I have the honour to be, Sir, Your Royal Highnesss most humble and obedient servant.

But the disclosure prompted accusations from antimonarchy campaigners of political meddling by Prince Charles, who is known as Duke of Rothesay in Scotland, while Mr Salmond rejected claims that he is a Royalist sook.

Clarence House said the prince was raising issues of public interest about which he had also raised in public, such as the preservation of historic buildings and the benefits of sustainable food supply chains.
Read more: Prince Charles' 'black spider' letters to Alex Salmond - Telegraph
Old 08-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Royal Highness

Such a shame! Some people , the Guardian and Republic had so much expectations with this. I feel bad for them .
Old 08-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Yup, Rudolph - they seem to be. I was wrong to worry about them.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:31 AM
Majesty

You worried?

It is vastly amusing to see and hear from the disgruntled republicans. I mean, you have to laugh at them having scored the ultimate own goal. Charles lobbied on behalf of the people . . . that's a hanging offence isn't it?

After all these years of trying to portray Charles as some sort of despicable, latter-day Machiavelli whose machinations, signaled by his infamous "Black Spider Letters", they finally won the right to read, publish and expose him for what he really is. And I am sure more than a little champagne or single malt marked the legal win of the battle royal. Then came the actual letters.

Imagine their horror when those letters were published, letters they had long claimed would, if made public, have the potential to bring about the fall of the monarchy itself. Instead of Charles being exposed as some sort of demented meddler, the only thing exposed to the open glare of the public was a fine future King who cares about the pretty mundane problems of very ordinary people and the preservation of historic places such as Dumfries House, the bungling incompetence of media hungry republicans and last but not least, a huge legal bill.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:22 PM
Majesty

That was remarkably archac by Mr Salmond, not even to the Queen but "just" to the Duke of Rothesay: In his reply to the latter request, Mr Salmond asked his officials to investigate the possibility and signed off: “I have the honour to be, Sir, Your Royal Highness’s most humble and obedient servant.”
Old 08-31-2015, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, in the finest traditions of a Minister in the government of King William IV, circa 1835. He'll never live that one down!
Old 12-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Heir Apparent

A lot is being made of this on social media but I'm not sure its news. I thought it was common knowledge. It was released under Freedom of Information. From the story:

Quote:
A Cabinet Office spokesman said: It has been established practice for many years that the sovereign and the heir to the throne receive the minutes of cabinet meetings. It is important that the head of state and her heir are properly briefed.
Prince Charles has been receiving secret government memos for decades, documents reveal - Mirror Online
Old 12-15-2015, 03:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Revealed: Prince Charles has received confidential cabinet papers for decades-
Revealed: Prince Charles has received confidential cabinet papers for decades | UK news | The Guardian

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Majesty

... and... is this news? I thought it was pretty normal for him to do that...
Old 12-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Courtier

How thick are these people. You really think your future head of state doesn't have access to government papers. He is the future KING.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I honestly think I've known he's done that for years. Its been stated often that Charles receives the "boxes" just like his mother so this is no "breaking news" to me.

He needs to know what's going on as much as his mother does because should there be any reason that the Queen couldn't fulfill her role, Charles needs to step in and be informed. Just common sense to me.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Republic, The Guardian and many British people actually want the next Head of State to assume his responsibilities with no idea of what is going on ... and that is what would happen if he wasn't seeing the boxes.

The last monarch I know who wasn't seeing the boxes from reaching their majority was Edward VII and even then he did do so for the last few years of his mother's reign and it was her personal decision that kept him from seeing them earlier.

George V, Edward VIII and Elizabeth II all saw them from their majority onwards (and I assume the Duke of York did during the reign of Edward VIII while he was the heir presumptive). Charles has been seeing them since his 18th birthday - as a Counsellor of State.

I suspect William also sees some of them already - as part of his training and as a Counsellor of State.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
The BBC has learnt that the Duke of Cambridge does receive Cabinet papers. He is given them occasionally.

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
Prince William is given the gov documents to help him understand the workings of Whitehall and to prepare him for when he is King.

Rudolph posted this information in another thread but it confirms that William does see them on occasion.

Interesting that Labour is demanding the inquiry when they held power for the majority of the time that Charles has been receiving the information.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Majesty

See the neighbouring monarchy overseas, the Netherlands: there the Heir is installed as a member of the Raad van State (Council of State), founded in 1531. See picture. This most honourable college needs to be consulted in the legislative process. It is also the highest Court of Administration.

That the Heir is a member has everything to do with his destination: once he will be the head of state. Not a doctor, not a salesman, not a pianist, he will be King. It was (and is) considered wise that the future head of state is known with "the machinery of state". The Dutch Heir has, via the membership of the Raad van State, already before the kingship access to all legislative documents, including the confidential notes and memoranda.

I think it is only wise that the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge, with their future perspectives fixed and set in concrete, have access to state papers indeed. It is their destiny. Better too early than too late.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Duc-At what age did Beatrix and later W-A become members of the Raad van State?
Old 12-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charles has been a member of the Privy Council for decades and so receives all the same information that every member of that body receives.

He has also been eligible to serve as a Councillor-of-State since 1966 and so has been privy to a lot of information since then - as it appropriate for the heir to the throne.

That he has been receiving information since 1992 ignores the fact that he has been receiving it for a lot longer than that.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I have no objection whatever to Charles (as the Queen's deputy and as heir to the throne) receiving copies of the contents of the red boxes. I don't think it's inappropriate either for William to be seeing some of them. It's only prudent when you have a very elderly monarch and an heir who is in his late 60's.

It is what Charles does with the privileged information that he receives that I have problems with. I just don't agree that the heir to the throne should be acting as some sort of super-lobbyist for his causes, even if he does passionately believe in them.

Tags
politics, prince charles, prince of wales