The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
These costs were made to fight for the man whom, as only citizen in the whole kingdom, is denied the basic human right on privacy of his correspondence. Finally in a most mind-baffling demarché by juridicians, the public should know what the Prince thinks about badgers, albatrosses, the equipment of the Navy, the administrative strain on farmers and the concerns about failing education standards.

If The Guardian (which has immensely shot it its very own republican foot) has not started the whole crazy manoeuvre to deny the Prince a basic human right (which they would defence for anyone else...) then these costs were not necessary...

I really think this has been really wrong. Why does he have less of a right than normal people? Correspondance is confidential until needed in a criminal case. Why isn't he awarded the same right?

Old 05-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Videos:
Graham Smith of the pressure group ‘Republic’ has accused the Prince of Wales of ‘lobbying’ after private letters written by the Prince ten years ago to members of Tony Blair’s government were published. The publication follows a lengthy court battle led by The Guardian newspaper, to have the papers released into the public domain-

Home - ITNSource News

A former Special Adviser to the last Labour government has described the release of private letters from Prince Charles to ministers in Tony Blair’s government as the ‘tip of an absolutely enormous iceberg’. Paul Richards says letters from the heir to the throne were routinely received by every government department over 30-40 years, and covered every conceivable subject. The publication of the letters follows a lengthy court battle led by The Guardian newspaper-
Home - ITNSource News

The father of a British soldier killed in Iraq, says he regards Prince Charles as ‘being on his side’ after the release of private letters reveal the Prince raised concerns with Tony Blair’s government about the lack of adequate equipment for British troops. But Roger Bacon, whose son Major Matthew Bacon was killed by an IED attack in 2005, says the Prince may have been ‘over optimistic’ in his correspondence with the government as very little changed as a result-
Home - ITNSource News

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Well this was a big waste of time by the Guardian. Charles comes out of this with some good PR and the republican 'movement' such as it is has taken a black eye.

If this is the best the republican Guardian and its supporters can do, the monarchy in Britain is safe for at least the next 150 years.

Well you know you've failed at the Guardian when this comes out.

Channel 4 News ‏@Channel4News
.@AlexSalmond: have received quite a few letters from Prince Charles, very intelligent, always worth reading
Old 05-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Huge backfire by republicans.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

There many more letters to come, but I always like hearing Charles's views on a variety of issues and some things may be a little controversial. At least he have a view and don't mind publicly or privately expressing them.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Someone please explain the political parties in the UK. I know the terms don't mean the same thing as when it's used here in the U.S.

LaRae
Old 05-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Someone please explain the political parties in the UK. I know the terms don't mean the same thing as when it's used here in the U.S.

LaRae
There are two large blocs: the Conservatives, which can be compared with the more moderate wing of the Republicans in the USA. They have the majority in the House. Then there is Labour which can be compared with the more progressive wing of the Democrats in the USA. They form by far the largest Opposition.

A new phenomenon in Parliament is the SNP, the Scottish National Party, which aims for independence of Scotland and has won all but three of the 59 Scottish seats in an amazing landslide victory, last week.

Then there are some fragmented small parties, like the Greens, the Liberals, Welsh and (Northern) Irish parties which do not hold the balance of power in the House.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Huge backfire by republicans.

Absolutely! What on earth was all the fuss about??
Old 05-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Majesty

The news about the PoW's letters have also reached the foreign press. Kontroversielle breve offentliggjort: Prins Charles skriver om Danmark | Nyheder | DR
You can read the letter in English.
- From this and those few letters I have glanced elsewhere I can't help thinking it's nothing more than common sense Prince Charles is expressing and that he is taking a vivid interest in current affairs. And while that may annoying for the politicians, that is sort of what I would expect a (future) king to do. In fact I would be disappointed if he didn't.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Courtier

I guess the republican and the anti-Charles brigades are really upset today. Too bad for them.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
I guess the republican and the anti-Charles brigades are really upset today. Too bad for them.
I'm not sure they're upset. If anything, I think they are happy these letters are being released and that the courts backed them. They won on having these private correspondents between Charles and the government made public.

Although, I think these letters and the others that will be released should have stayed private, I like reading on Charles's views.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
I laugh, oh i laugh
Old 05-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm not sure they're upset. If anything, I think they are happy these letters are being released and that the courts backed them. They won on having these private correspondents between Charles and the government made public.

Although, I think these letters and the others that will be released should have stayed private, I like reading on Charles's views.
What other letters to be released? To my knowledge there are none and a change to the FOI law means that all correspondence by HMQ/Heir to Throne are now confidential

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If anything, the release of these letters (which I don't think should have been as he deserves privacy as much as the next guy) will afford the public insight just how interested and conscientious he is in regard to things that affect the people in all areas. This shows that, as King, he won't be taking his responsibilities lightly.

Give the Guardian enough matches and eventually they'll burn themselves eh?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
What other letters to be released? To my knowledge there are none and a change to the FOI law means that all correspondence by HMQ/Heir to Throne are now confidential
I think it's been said that there will be more letters released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If anything, the release of these letters (which I don't think should have been as he deserves privacy as much as the next guy) will afford the public insight just how interested and conscientious he is in regard to things that affect the people in all areas. This shows that, as King, he won't be taking his responsibilities lightly.

Give the Guardian enough matches and eventually they'll burn themselves eh?
I agree, everyone can see even in his letters that Charles cares about the issues that affect peoples lives.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

thanks. Not seen that in the UK reports.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think this is the way to react.
http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/0...harles-letters

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There are two large blocs: the Conservatives, which can be compared with the more moderate wing of the Republicans in the USA. They have the majority in the House. Then there is Labour which can be compared with the more progressive wing of the Democrats in the USA. They form by far the largest Opposition.

A new phenomenon in Parliament is the SNP, the Scottish National Party, which aims for independence of Scotland and has won all but three of the 59 Scottish seats in an amazing landslide victory, last week.

Then there are some fragmented small parties, like the Greens, the Liberals, Welsh and (Northern) Irish parties which do not hold the balance of power in the House.
Isn't there another one I heard about...something IP or PI or UPI ..something conservative (by American language).

LaRae
Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

UKIP - this is the party that is pushing for the UK to leave the EU.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
UKIP - this is the party that is pushing for the UK to leave the EU.
Interesting...wonder how most Brits (et al) feel about that.

LaRae

Tags
politics, prince charles, prince of wales