Prince Charles and the Environment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HRH Kimetha said:
It's good to hear and see that the Prince has been a part of this ecological push for so many years. So much that is happening today with environmental and ecological issues are really talk done in the past, but only recently has the media made such issues of them because of climatic change. Bravo to the Prince.:)

I agree. The more high-profile people out there get the word out and start talking seriously about environmental issues and what we can do to help the planet, the better. People are more apt to listen to celebrities or well-known people who know what they're talking about. It's good to see Charles enthused and knowledgeable about this. I wonder if as King, he will do anything (if there's anything he can do) in terms of suggesting legislation or proposals about the environment. I'm not even sure what power he would have in regards to that, so maybe someone with more knowledge about the monarchy and their roles in the legal system can help me out. :)

HRH hosts the first May Day summit on climate change

The Prince of Wales hosted a May Day Summit on climate change at St James’s Palace today and called for immediate action to solve what he called the world’s environmental “emergency”.
More than 1,000 business leaders from across the country were brought together for the May Day Summit which consisted of nine simultaneous regional events and one national ‘hub’ event, hosted by The Prince at St James’s Palace State Apartments.
The summit, which came from an idea of The Prince's, aimed to encourage the businesses to work together to create and commit to a powerful agenda to tackle climate change.

A speech by HRH The Prince of Wales at the May Day Buisness Summit on Climate Change, St. James's Palace, London - great speech, as usual

Good morning ladies and gentlemen, and welcome all of you to this May Day Business Summit on Climate Change. When I was serving in the Royal Navy – rather a long time ago now I have to admit – “May Day, May Day, May Day” was the distress call used in cases of emergency. It still is – and this is an emergency we face. I fear this event – which I am told is unique – is rather my fault – my own meddling fault! – owing to the fact I asked a marketing expert how the message about climate change could be spread more widely amongst the business community using the experience of communication experts.
Not knowing what the reaction would be, I cannot begin to tell you how pleased I am that so many of you – more than a thousand! – have taken time out of your busy lives to take part. You are all business leaders of real influence drawn from every sector and, with your help today, I am sure that we are going to make a real difference to combatting climate change in this country.

Let's hope he is able to effect the changes needed.

Pics 1.5.2007

Here are two pics from today, Charles looked quite good and like he had quite a lot of fun :)

Prince of Wales Business Summit:
The Prince of Wales hosts a May Day Business Summit, at St James's Palace, and at nine venues across the country from Manchester to Reading via video link.

Pic 1
Pic 2

HRH visits an environmental charity in Kennington, South London

The Prince of Wales explored an inner city wildlife garden in South London today as he visited an environmental charity which helps disadvantaged youngsters.
The Prince toured the Roots and Shoots Centre in Kennington which serves disadvantaged and marginalized young people by providing them with vocational skills, a flexible programme of English, Maths and IT and a gentle introduction into the world of work

The Prince of Wales - HRH visits an environmental charity in Kennington, South London

Green prince leaves a giant CO2

THE Prince of Wales has been found wanting in his efforts to save the world from global warming. Charles and his royal household have generated more than 1,500 tons of carbon dioxide in the past year, according to an independent audit

Green prince leaves a giant CO2 - Times Online

There seem to be more than a few 'assuming' statements in the Times audit, how you can do an audit without the actual facts, is beyond me! :lol:

I agree Skydragon, before criticizing the Prince again because of his carbon footprint they should wait till Tuesday when Charles will publish details himself.
And the critics should also consider that the Prince doesn´t travell most of the time to make hoildays but because he has a job where it´s necessary to travell around the country and to go abroad.
And to make him responsible for the flights of his adult sons, is more than i can bear...:bang:

So our Charles really is the green prince. I am pleased with all the environmental work he is doing. When I see so many claims to be green by different governments and corporations, but they are only empty words and ways to find publicity. Its nice to see Charles is really going all out to set a good example.

Good for you Charles. :flowers:

Prince Charles Becomes Carbon Neutral
LONDON - Tuesday June 26, 2007 11:59 am

Fewer chartered planes, more train trips and a royal Jaguar that runs on cooking oil have helped Prince Charles achieve a carbon-neutral household, an annual review of the prince's accounts said Tuesday. The annual review by the prince's Clarence House office said Charles cut his annual carbon emissions by 9 percent, to 3,775 tons, between April 1, 2006 and March 31 of this year. The prince offset those emissions by investing in an agency that promotes tree planting and sustainable energy projects.

ABC 7 News - Prince Charles Becomes Carbon Neutral

CHARLES RUNS ON COOKING

Sunday August 12,2007

ECO-friendly Prince Charles has mothballed two of his favourite cars because they are gas guzzlers.

And the “green” Prince has had two of his official cars – a Jaguar and a Range Rover – converted so they can run on used cooking oil.

Charles has ruled that his treasured Aston Martin and his Bentley must stay in the garage and only be used as a last resort in a bid to save the planet.

Sunday Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: News / Showbiz :: Charles runs on cooking

Charles is really earning his Green Prince title! :flowers: Not the Aston Martin!

CHARLES RUNS ON COOKING

Sunday August 12,2007

ECO-friendly Prince Charles has mothballed two of his favourite cars because they are gas guzzlers.

And the “green” Prince has had two of his official cars – a Jaguar and a Range Rover – converted so they can run on used cooking oil.

Charles has ruled that his treasured Aston Martin and his Bentley must stay in the garage and only be used as a last resort in a bid to save the planet.

Sunday Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: News / Showbiz :: Charles runs on cooking

Charles is really earning his Green Prince title! :flowers: Not the Aston Martin!
I am surprised the Aston Martin is a gas guzzler. I've never had an issue about him having his classic James Bond car. ;) He has loved that car ever since his mother bought it for him. It is a gorgeous car and it's not such a bad gas guzzler when you consider all the people who drive around in their Hummers! :bang:

Because Aldersen, the writer & Telegraph chief reporter, had it from the "senior royal aides" of course. ;)

Oh yes, of course. I thought it might be 'close friends'. :D

milla Ca said:
Prince Charles says young don't know rural life - TelegraphPrince Charles claims young people are ignorant of the countryside and have no idea where food comes from.

Interesting article. I have to agree with Prince Charles, many young people (including me) are completely ignorant, when it comes to countryside. It would be great if it were possible to generate more interest somehow.

It is admirable of the Prince to want to generate increased interest in rural issues among youth. But the very real urban issues (principally poverty) are also too much brushed under the table, because the problems are so huge and daunting.

Interesting article. I have to agree with Prince Charles, many young people (including me) are completely ignorant, when it comes to countryside. It would be great if it were possible to generate more interest somehow.
It is not just the young. I was having a 'chat' with a middle aged woman a few years ago, who called me a liar when I said the lambs and calves she was admiring in the field, would soon be on someones plate. She went on to say, 'don't be so stupid, all beef and lamb is sold by a supermarket and nothing to do with creatures in a field'! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My Great Grandmother used to have chickens in the garden (as alot of Cockneys did) and I remember her telling me, "Don't make 'er yor bridesmayd, she'll be on your bleedin' plate be Sunday". So I'm all for the Prince's efforts, we should know where our food comes from and all this squeamishness really is too boring for words. It's like people who stare at you in restaurants when you order foie gras and then order a steak the size of Japan - if people knew where their food came from, they'd realise how hypocritical they're being. It's about time we went back to basics food wise so I think the Prince of Wales is setting a wonderful example. Rant over.

It is not just the young. I was having a 'chat' with a middle aged woman a few years ago, who called me a liar when I said the lambs and calves she was admiring in the field, would soon be on someones plate. She went on to say, 'don't be so stupid, all beef and lamb is sold by a supermarket and nothing to do with creatures in a field'! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good grief. Probably from a food replicator or something.:D

Another part of the problem is that people these days don't seem to have vegetable gardens like they used to (partly because houses are being built on smaller and smaller lots), and it's getting more unusual to see edible landscaping of any sort in gardens. So even in the suburbs kids are growing up not making the connection between food in the shops and food in (or on) the ground. It's nice to see Prince Charles trying to help youngsters make that connection.

HRH Prince of Wales speaking at the ClimateWise launch in London. ClimateWise principles mark a new era in Insurance Industry action to takle climate change. Date: 13.09.2007

ANP Beeldbank

13 September 2007
Launching the ClimateWise Principles at the Park Plaza Riverbank London Hotel ---> The Wise Prince (same source)

14 September 2007
HRH became the first member of the royal family to use the newly converted biodiesel royal train, as he arrived in Scarborough, North Yorkshire for a couple of engagements. ---> Picture (precisely the same source) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom