The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-23-2015, 11:23 PM
Royal Highness

I will just repeat the Queen has never done anything like this and is widely loved. Charles on the other is doing things differently. You may agree with that I don't it is MO

Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I will just repeat the Queen has never done anything like this and is widely loved.
She did nothing like it possibly because she was fulfilling a cultural role as wife and mother in her private life. It was the 1950's, after all. Pretty prim and starchy. In that role, she (correctly, by the mores of the time) allowed her husband to voice his views and concerns about the environment (and other things). She herself stayed silent, and all was right with the world.

Quote:
Charles on the other is doing things differently.
Exactly so, at least for an heir that is male. In so many ways Charles is following in his father's footsteps. Philip's concerns have become Charles'.

Quote:
You may agree with that I don't it is MO
Yes, understood.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
No wonder why the PoW's sanity is questioned from time to time.
Did you read the article? We need more people in the public eye to make statements like the one the Prince of Wales made.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:36 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Did you read the article? We need more people in the public eye to make statements like the one the Prince of Wales made.
Its been a passion for Charles' for a very long time now and sustainable living is becoming more and more difficult in many areas. One of the biggest problems the earth faces is that population is growing rapidly while available resources are quickly disappearing. Charles is not the only one to jump on this bandwagon but is among many to pick up the banner to raise awareness.

"Unlike plagues of the dark ages or contemporary diseases we do not understand, the modern plague of overpopulation is soluble by means we have discovered and with resources we posses. What is lacking is not sufficient knowledge of the solution but universal consciousness of the gravity of the problem and education of the billions who are its victim."

- Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader and Nobel laureate
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-24-2015, 01:06 AM
Royal Highness

What am I concerned about right now ? The guy sitting across from me on the train with a bag on his lap he's sweating and looking nervous is there a bomb in the bag?? The young man on the street swearing and yelling is he on ice will he pull out a knife. Am I worried about climate change ? Hell no ! Do I want to hear Charles talk about? No !!
Old 11-24-2015, 01:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
What am I concerned about right now ? The guy sitting across from me on the train with a bag on his lap he's sweating and looking nervous is there a bomb in the bag?? The young man on the street swearing and yelling is he on ice will he pull out a knife. Am I worried about climate change ? Hell no ! Do I want to hear Charles talk about? No !!
But when the current terrorist threat is neutralised, and the drug problem brought under control, climate change will still be a problem. I am very interested in what Charles has to say about it. He has had a keen interest in the environment for decades and is very informed on the subject.

I believe climate change is something that is above politics. I believe it is a subject that every nation on earth should be taking seriously and talking about, and trying to do something about.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Royal Highness

Roslyn I don't think any of those things will be bought under control. I don't think climate change has caused Isis considering the Christian / Muslim wars have always been and will always be IMO

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-24-2015, 01:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
In Full: Charles On Climate Change - A Sky News Exclusive-

In Full: Charles On Climate Change - A Sky News Exclusive

Brilliant interview and I always enjoy hearing Charles's views on this very urgent matter of climate change.

He's not saying that climate change is the main cause of these terror wars, but that it's part of the problem. There are many factors involved. Some of it is biblical.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-24-2015, 02:16 AM
Heir Apparent

I think ISIS will be brought under control, one way or another. Most likely it will fizzle out or they'll be bombed to oblivion and that particular conflict will cease and there'll be relative quiet in the Middle East until the next flare-up occurs there. You're probably right about the drug problem, sadly.

But I wasn't intending to imply that there was a direct connection between terrorism and drugs and climate change, merely trying to make the point that climate change will continue to be a problem no matter what happens in respect of those other two issues. Charles isn't saying climate change has caused ISIS, merely that the effects of climate change have contributed to that sort of problem because of the added pressure the consequences of climate change place on society.

ETA That interview is excellent. Charles is a wise and informed man and what he has to say about the subject is well worth listening to. Thank you for posting the link, Dman.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:26 AM
Royal Highness

Roslyn sorry I didn't mean to sound off so much we can both have different views 💐

Old 11-24-2015, 02:30 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To a lesser extent, the climatic influence on society is something I think we've all experienced from time to time. With warnings of an impending severe snowstorm or hurricane, I've seen people go crazy battling to get supplies like water and candles and staples. Store shelves empty out quite quickly and people are not in a good mood doing it.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Am I worried about climate change ?
The intelligent, concerned being has brain power enough to worry about terrorism,migration and climate change.. since they are inextricably linked. Anything else is 'short-termism' of the worst kind. In this [as so often] the Prince shows great sense.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The intelligent, concerned being has brain power enough to worry about terrorism,migration and climate change.. since they are inextricably linked. Anything else is 'short-termism' of the worst kind. In this [as so often] the Prince shows great sense.

Well you can worry for both of us because I have enough worries without adding in climate change. You and Charles can take it on.
Gotta love climate change people always hold the high and mighty ground by trying to put anyone that doesn't agree down.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
trying to put anyone that doesn't agree down.
As you [always] do with the Prince of Wales...
Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
As you [always] do with the Prince of Wales...
Really thought all this was about climate change !
Old 11-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Heir Apparent

What Prince Charles gets wrong – and right – about climate change and conflict in Syria

By Steffen Bohm - Professor in Management and Sustainability, and Director, Essex Sustainability Institute, University of Essex

What Prince Charles gets wrong – and right – about climate change and conflict in Syria
Old 11-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
What Prince Charles gets wrong – and right – about climate change and conflict in Syria.

By Steffen Bohm - Professor in Management and Sustainability, and Director, Essex Sustainability Institute, University of Essex

Curious article: ascribing to Charles personally an argument that he never made. Very deft. The article's author seems intent on the very point the Pentagon report and the study are very clear about, namely: that natural extremes in weather will be aggravated by climate change (which will produce additional unstable weather conditions) and which, taken altogether, will aggravate unstable political and historically derived conditions. No disagreement here, yet the author seems to be positing a 'gotcha'.

Here we have the 'gotcha': "Finger pointing at climate change by environmentalists, whether by Prince Charles or Johan Rockström, is at best simplistic." Ah! Simplistic. What is being said (in the reports and studies, and by Charles) is exactly what the author re-states (in a fairly patronizing tone) as though it is his own epiphany.

Not sure what to make of the article, except that it gives the opportunity of saying that Charles is wrong (regarding an argument he never actually made) and simplistic. This is the nub: Charles must be seen as foolish and talking out-of-his-depth. The suggestion that Charles (or Johan Rockström) are simplistic in their reasoning is remarkable, given all the caveats that apply. Very deft way of poking at a colleague while keeping Charles in-line, framed as a simplistic thinker.

BTW the above was the 'best', here's the other shoe: "At worst it is a wilful misrepresentation of the historical realities and concrete political and economic relations that lead to conflict." Again, suggesting that Charles was making an argument he never actually made, but basically making him out a liar.

So there we have it: a very deft attempt (and likely successful) to paint Charles as a simplistic thinker and someone who would lie. Did I mention that the ad hominem would be following very soon after the interview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
But I wasn't intending to imply that there was a direct connection between terrorism and drugs and climate change, merely trying to make the point that climate change will continue to be a problem no matter what happens in respect of those other two issues. Charles isn't saying climate change has caused ISIS, merely that the effects of climate change have contributed to that sort of problem because of the added pressure the consequences of climate change place on society.
Exactly so. Charles was making the same point the author of the article noted was pressing.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Whatever his views I don't think now is the time to bring them up. Indeed it does make people think "looney Charles at it again " IMO there is so much hurt and terror now we don't need Charles rolling out his ideas. He needs to take a leaf out if his parents and grandparents book and be there for the people giving support.
Quote:
Well you can worry for both of us because I have enough worries without adding in climate change. You and Charles can take it on. Gotta love climate change people always hold the high and mighty ground by trying to put anyone that doesn't agree down.
There's a disjunct here. I had to go back to make sure I had read the 'looney' bit correctly. Not I (nor anyone else that I can see) have painted anyone who does not think Climate Change is important as 'looney'. I think the descent into ad hominem statements was begun with your post above (and is limited to that one post).

Quote:
Roslyn I don't think any of those things will be bought under control. I don't think climate change has caused Isis considering the Christian / Muslim wars have always been and will always be IMO.
No one has said climate change caused Isis, not Charles, nor any of the reports/studies have so said. What has been stated is that climate change has aggravated the situation in Syria. It is the first on-the-ground example of what has been the feared scenario as the climate warms, namely: agricultural lands fail, starvation looms, populations start to move (inevitably towards/into cities), stressing already stressed urban infrastructures and resources.

Additionally, where there is already failed government and/or sectarian strife (for whatever historical and cultural reasons) the situation will lead to civil strife (over scarce resources and overcrowding) that then pours over borders as both refugees and actual war. The very tragic point being made is that what we are seeing happening in Syria and in Europe vis-a-vis the refugees, may become the 'new normal' as the climate warms and eco-systems (particularly agricultural lands) fail.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Royal Highness

Lady Nimue I could explain how and why I repeated the word "looney" But I don't really care there's too much else to worry about in the world and in my world at moment.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:36 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

In that case, how about we move on then? Further posts which contribute little to the discussion will be removed.

Tags
environment, global warming, prince charles, prince of wales