Prince Charles and the Environment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Skydragon said:
Prince Charles wants to make Scottish castle environmentally-friendly

Prince Charles, heir to the British throne, aims to restore a 19th century castle on the Scottish island of Rum using energy supplies that are safer for the environment, a spokesman said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061217/sc_afp/britainroyals_061217200836

Good for him! The more people investigate and use environmentally friendly methods, the cheaper they are likely to become. At present cost sometimes can limit a well-intentioned person to going with the less environmentally friendly option.

Wandering off-topic now, one benefit of these links to international news-papers, is that you get the chance to read other interesting stories you would otherwise not have access to. There's a corker on that page about the Burmese pythons breeding in the Everglades. Very worrying.

Charles and Cameron unite to save the planet

David Cameron and Prince Charles held a 'green summit' at a private dinner party where they discussed how they could work together to save the planet.
The two men, along with their wives, Samantha Cameron and the Duchess of Cornwall, are said to have 'got on famously' when they met for dinner in London earlier this month.

Skydragon said:
Charles puts his (carbon) foot in it
Prince Charles is to fly to New York, booking the entire first-class and business class section of a jumbo jet for his 20-strong entourage - to pick up an award for his work on the environment
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23382210-details/Charles+puts+his+(carbon)+foot+in+it/article.do

I am not quite sure I understand what is meant by this article: is it criticizing Prince Charles for booking all seats in the first and business classes? :ermm:
He is using not a private jet but a 'regular' flight; surely that does reduce carbon dioxide.
And I guess the First and Business classes should have been booked for security reasons the .

Last edited:
I think part of the criticism is that he is going at all to pick up this environmental award when it could be presented via a communications hookup and not use the carbon emissions of the plane but.... the plane will be going anyway and he will be doing other things so it is good that he is combining duties and picking up the award and using a scheduled flight.

Unfortunately most of the Queen's kids can do very little right according to most of the press.

Is Charles Fighting Climate Change?

The Prince of Wales has cancelled his regular skiing trip to Switzerland in an attempt to help cut down his carbon 'footprint'. The decision has emerged in the wake of criticism levelled at Charles over his plans to fly to the US to receive an award for campaigning on green issues.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/20012007/140/charles-fighting-climate-change.html

Miliband enters row over Charles US trip

David Miliband last night became embroiled in the row over Prince Charles's trip to America next week to pick up an award for championing green issues

http://www.theherald.co.uk/politics/news/display.var.1136514.0.0.php

It was reported the prince has booked the entire first and business class sections of a jumbo jet but aides insisted they would book only 20 seats if they did travel scheduled.....
...Receiving the award is part of a two-day visit, which will also highlight urban redevelopment and youth regeneration. They are going to the US at the request of the Foreign Office.

Miliband is the environment minister who attacked one of the greenest air companies, saying they are the biggest poluters and it was time they made changes. He was called an idiot, stupid, ill informed etc. He followed this up by saying that organic foods are a waste of money, the taste and quality is the same as the foods that are covered in pesticides, growth hormones etc, then it was revealed that he eats organic foods, err, because it tastes better. :bang:

I think he is right to try to encourage builders to make new houses eco friendly. The government doesn't seem to want to help people to convert their older homes with solar panels or wind turbines. :ohmy:

Prince Charles boosts Wal-Mart's 'green' image

It is a most unlikely alliance, one initially forged at a formal banquet at the White House.
But last night it culminated in the extraordinary sight of green campaigner Prince Charles standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Wal-Mart, the largest and possibly the most vilified retailer in the world.

Prince Charles boosts Wal-Mart's 'green' image | Uk News | News | Telegraph

Queen's growing concern over eco warrior Charles

The Queen is growing increasingly 'concerned' that the Prince of Wales is embarrassing other members of the royal family in fighting a public eco war.

Queen's growing concern over eco warrior Charles | News | This is London

Skydragon said:
Queen's growing concern over eco warrior Charles

The Queen is growing increasingly 'concerned' that the Prince of Wales is embarrassing other members of the royal family in fighting a public eco war.

Queen's growing concern over eco warrior Charles | News | This is London

I think her Majesty has no reason to be concerned: Her son is doing the thing at the right time!:flowers:

All Headline News - Prince Charles Arrives At London Seminar On Foot - February 2, 2007

Prince Charles spent half an hour walking the streets of London in a show of environmental friendliness.

milla Ca said:
I think her Majesty has no reason to be concerned: Her son is doing the thing at the right time!:flowers:
He always has, it is only now that people are listening to him and Al Gore. Some people still don't believe in Global Warming! :ohmy:

The Prince of Wales introduces the Business and Environment Programme's 2007 London Lecture
The Prince of Wales introduced one of the world’s leading retailers at the 2007 London lecture of his Business & the Environment Programme (BEP) today.
H. Lee Scott, Chief Executive of US firm Wal-Mart, the guest speaker at the Banqueting House in London, outlined his vision for businesses to use their influence to achieve sustainable business practice.

Prince Charles Arrives At London Seminar On Foot
Britain's Prince Charles spent half an hour walking the streets of London in a show of environmental friendliness.
The prince - who was recently slammed for flying to the U.S. to collect an award for his work supporting environmental issues - arrived at a London seminar on sustainable development by foot on Thursday.

Last edited:
A speech by HRH The Prince of Wales introducing H. Lee Scott Jr, Ceo and President of Wal-Mart Stores, the 2007 lecture of The Prince of Wales’s Business and Environment programme, Banqueting House, London ----- The Speech

A speech by HRH The Prince of Wales to mark a joint initiative between The Prince's Foundation for the Built Environment and the Home Builders Federation, Shoreditch, London ---- The Speech

Prince Charles tastes a glass of stout during a visit to The Old Crown public house in Hesket Newmarket, Cumbria, England, Monday, Feb. 5, 2007.

Thriving rural communities were the theme of his visit to Cumbria on Monday. Prince Charles helped showcase the efforts being made to ensure rural communities continue to flourish. He was due to be accompanied by Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Secretary David Miliband, but the minister opted to stay in London in the wake of the bird flu outbreak.

Pictures:
Prince Charles
Prince Charles drinking a glass of stout
Prince Chales playing a game of darts

more pictures here.

Last edited:
Charles lets a train take some of the strain

PRINCE Charles took the train to a public engagement in the UK for the first time yesterday.

The Scotsman - Charles lets a train take some of the strain

Prince Charles helps save the planet - with his chauffeur-driven Jaguar and Range Rover

He has been accused of failing to put his money where his mouth is when it comes to staking his claim as the country's greenest royal

Prince Charles helps save the planet - with his chauffeur-driven Jaguar and Range Rover | the Daily Mail

Thank you Skydragon and iceflower for the article and the pics of today!:flowers:
The photos are so nice! ( I love the one with the flower.:wub: )

I only miss it so much to see Camilla in public. I´m counting the weeks and i´m looking forward to see the first pics in the ´Charles&Camilla thread´ again!

Thanks for the nice photos from today.
milla Ca, I´m feeling the same about Camilla. But we´ve half time now. And I got response of my card to her and it pleases me everyday :flowers:.

Prince Charles meets members of the public during a visit to Walthamstow in north east London, Thursday March 29, 2007. The Prince visited Walthamstow to meet local people and those involved in the recent work of The Princes Foundation for the Built Environment there. --------> Picture

Last edited by a moderator:
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne

After years of being called an eccentric who talked to his plants, Prince Charles is now an environmental hero. But his latest, most ambitious proposl - to label products with their carbon-emissions "cost" - makes him a target too. Charles is a Prince whose time has come.
Not to take the throne—may his mother live long and provide Helen Mirren with material for many sequels—but to be granted an honor as impressive in its own way. More than a quarter-century has passed since the Prince of Wales began calling for wiser stewardship of the environment and doing what he could to set an example. The British press called him loony and eccentric: the prince who talked to plants. He doesn't look loony now. Charles's honor is the acknowledgment, both at home and abroad, that he had it right from the start. Passionate about organic farming and sustainable development, curious about ways to improve the "built environment" with holistic communities designed from scratch, unafraid to condemn trends he abhors—genetically modified foods, for one, wind farms for another—he's what his American counterpart, Al Gore, calls a "thought leader." His latest notion is his boldest yet.

Thank you very much for that article, Skydragon! :flowers:
Quote from the article:
"I was very nervous on my first visit to Highgrove but was immediately put at ease by Prince Charles who could not have been more charming," she said.
"I then looked forward to the subsequent sittings. The Prince is so animated when talking about our environment - it was a huge task to capture some of this immense passion as well as conveying his relaxed and easy manner. "He is completely inspiring."

This seem to be the opinion of everyone, who has met the Prince personally - charming.

Charles moves into B&B business

THERE are touches that suggest it is no ordinary farmhouse bed-and-breakfast. The Prince of Wales and his wife are to take paying guests at a new base in Wales where the sewage is recycled through a reedbed, the dining room seats 24 and the furniture is made of wood from the landlord’s own forests.

Charles moves into B&B business-News-UK-TimesOnline

Farmers 'let down' by ministers, says Charles

The Government is jeopardising Britain's rural communities by failing to give proper support to farmers, says the Prince of Wales.
The "guardians of our countryside" have been let down and face a bleak future, he says in a veiled attack on the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) and its handling of agricultural policies.

Farmers 'let down' by ministers, says Charles | Uk News | News | Telegraph

These two speeches, one at Liverpool yesterday and a speech about Al Gore's movie, the Inconvinient Truth made exactly a month ago, are among the best speeches of the Prince, in my opinion.
Every single word is thought trough and is full of meaning. And care. And of course, humour. :)

The speech by The Prince of Wales for the Roscoe Lecture, St George’s Hall, Liverpool

From the speech:
Ladies and Gentlemen, as you have been rash enough to invite me here to indulge in a spot of “meddling” in Liverpool, I can confess to knowing a little bit here and there about putting my head above the odd conventional parapet from time to time. In my case, it has been to suggest that in the last 50 or so years, perhaps with the best of intentions, we may have “thrown out the baby with the bath water,” and that, therefore, we need to consider anew the timeless principles which underpinned so much of civilization before industrialization took such a comprehensive hold on the world. These principles have always crossed all cultural boundaries. They have never belonged to one particular school of thought. Rather, they might be called “shared insights” that belong to humanity as a whole and I would suggest that they are key to the maintenance of Harmony, Balance and Unity in life.
It is these principles that I would like to explore in this lecture today, in relation to some of the main areas with which I happen to have long been concerned: architecture, medicine, agriculture, environment and education. These are all areas of our life which, it seems to me, have been adversely affected by the neglect of a particular kind of wisdom that guided our forebears for generations, and its almost complete replacement in the past century by an entirely different way of seeing ourselves in relation to others and, indeed, in expressing Mankind’s relationship with Nature.
The trouble, of course, in suggesting, as I have done, that the balance needs to be righted, is that I seem to have ended up being “pigeon-holed” as “anti progress” or “anti-science.” I am not “anti-science” – I am anti the kind of science that fails to see the whole picture; the kind of science that has for some reason eliminated what we might call commonsense. So I will now reiterate to those who actually listen that of course technology and progress have changed our lives for the better – certainly in the West and not least in terms of health, universal education, improved housing and greater mobility and prosperity. But I would argue that while we have undeniably made great gains we have also lost something very precious and that is an understanding of our interconnectedness with Nature and a world beyond the material...

The second speech illuminates not only the enviromental issues but also reminds that at the time the politics and many of the scientists were laughing at the 'Global warming', the Prince was urging to make necessary steps.

A speech by HRH The Prince of Wales to introduce An Inconvenient Truth, a film by former Vice-President Al Gore, to a climate change seminar of business leaders in Woking

From the speech:
I really couldn’t be more delighted that you are all going to see Al Gore’s film ‘An Inconvenient Truth’. I saw it several months ago and found myself profoundly affected by it. I have known Al Gore for many years. I met him over 20 years ago in Washington and he and I are exactly the same age – a very good vintage 1948! – and I greatly admire his commitment to environmental issues, maintained through times when – as I know only too well myself - such issues were far from fashionable and a positive handicap for anyone in public life!
In fact, we both produced personal statements on the environment as long ago as 1990, with remarkably similar titles. Al very kindly took the risk of being associated with my film documentary for the BBC, called ‘Earth in Balance’. And he was equally articulate and thoughtful in his own book, ‘Earth in the Balance’ which appeared just a little later (as I keep reminding him!).
A hundred years ago, at a time when your predecessors were industriously developing Woking as a major town on the relatively new railway line, few people would have thought that, as well as contributing to this country’s vital economic engine, their activities might also be damaging our planet’s life support system. Indeed, anyone who said as much would have been laughed at.
But over the ensuing hundred years the evidence has emerged, bit by awful bit, to the point where no thinking person can be in any doubt whatsoever about the nature and scale of the damage that we – yes we – are causing. That does not make the message any more palatable, which is perhaps why the film you are going to see is called ‘An Inconvenient Truth’.
The question is what are we going to do about it? I know this is a difficult question at the best of times and that many of you who run the small and medium sized enterprises that are the backbone of this country’s economy have quite enough on your plate already. But this really is a challenge for everyone, both in our private and professional lives. And there are many business opportunities to be had from taking action to tackle climate change. The Stern Report said that the potential global market for low-carbon technologies is an estimated £350 billion a year. And here in the United Kingdom, a recent Government report indicated that the Environmental Goods and Services sector, which comprises around 17,000 companies, has an estimated turnover of over £25 billion – and this is a figure predicted to increase to £46 billion by 2015...

Back
Top Bottom