The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Here we go again and again

Get a life....
Gosh, Nico....how can it be 'again and again' when it's MerryWolfe's first post? It would be nice if the Charles and Camilla fans didn't attack new people right off the bat, just because they dont like Charles' do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do attitude about global warming. JMO. But it would be nice if we were able to keep new members, now and again.

'Get a life' seems like a pretty rude response to a new member's first post.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think it has anything to do with being a Charles & Camilla fan, it has more to do with one's beliefs regarding global warming/the environment. The rest of your comments are best ignored.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

There is little to be gained by arguing about a post made over a month ago. Let's move on please.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Charles provoked outrage today after he called for the extermination of Britain's grey squirrels.

The wildlife-loving Prince said it was crucial to 'eliminate' the alien greys if the UK's native red squirrels were to have a chance of survival.

Prince Charles calls for elimination of grey squirrel which does 'immense and increasing damage' to trees | Mail Online
Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Majesty

I can see Prince Charles' reasoning here. For all their beady-eyed, furry cuteness, squirrels can cause considerable damage.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

one vey lucky grey squirrel (video)

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Squirrel nuts over builder friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Unfortunately the Greys are eating the natives out of house and home, they are also much more aggressive than the British Reds. There is now a concerted effort to shoot or catch (and euthanise) the Grey. IMO Charles would support these measures on his estates.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Prince of Wales has introduced his most environmentally-friendly measures yet to turn Highgrove, his country home, into a green haven.

The heir to the throne has installed cutting-edge equipment to heat rooms, and provide hot water, at his Gloucestershire estate.
The ground and air source heat pumps will significantly reduce carbon emissions and cut electricity bills. The company that supplied the equipment, Ecovision Systems, will be installed as the tenant of new offices on the estate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...een-haven.html
Old 07-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
If he traveled on easyjet, he would arrive squashed, crumpled and in a very bad mood!

If he had used a scheduled flight, there would be complaints about him using too many seats, etc, etc. If he met the criteria of the naysayers, someone somewhere would still find something to complain about.

I can't believe anyone would suggest easyjet as an alternative!
Actually, I recently bought some old (75-80's) books on ebay. In Stephen Barry's first book, he discusses at length his travels with Prince CHarles who frequently travelled commercial, without incident, in those days, until Charles decided it was more convenient to travel by private jet. The irony to me is that when he was willing to travel commercially, it was in the days before he was preaching to people about the environment. Now that he wants to discuss how the rest of the world needs to reduce their emissions, Charles and Camilla travel only by private jet/train/helicopter/yacht. I will go get the quote for you, after the baby goes to bed.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

So, from 'Royal Service' by Charles valet of 12 years in the chapter entitled Travels with my Prince, page 140: "The first time I really flew with him was three months after I started the job. We went to Fiji to confer independence on the Islands and from there we went more or less around the world. When the last Prince of Wales did his world tour by battleship it took him many months. when we went, using an RAF VC 10 for part of the time and travelling commercial for the more lengthy trips, it took four weeks. We preferred to use an RAF planes because we could adapt our timings. A commercial plane has to be caught. With the RAF we could come and go at our own pace". Later the same chapter page 145: "When we flew commercial it was quite different. These flights were rather boring. The Prince never drinks so none of the rest of us would take advantage of all that lovely free first class champagne. Also, people dont realize until they get to the airport who is going to be travelling with them. It only dawns when the full fare paying passengers get irritated when the plane is late leaving....Just to calm everyone down, when we did take off, the Captain always apologized for the delay and then said "As a consolation and with the compliments of the airline, may we offer you an open bar....For these reasons we did try to use RAF planes. Traveling commercial throws a lot of people into confusion and ruins the bar profits...A lot of surprised first class passengers have found themselves sitting next to the Prince passengers, and it creates a very silent flight with everyone on their best behavior...Of course, people are still pleased to have seen him in the flesh. And when he leaves, he pops his head through the curtains to where the second class passengers sit so that they can get a look at him too.I must say working for him gave me some spectacular treats. Once we flew the Concorde to New York just to go to the ballet and came right back again. Another time we flew from Vancouver to Florida to play polo at the new Wellington Club complex.'
This type of behavior combined with the more recent examples Camilla's gas guzzling yacht trips and her having her shoes that she forgot at highgrove flown out to the persian gulf, only to decide against wearing them, gives me a strong Do-As-I-Say-Not-As-I-Do vibe from Charles. When it is less than convenient for him, global warming is way down the list. He obviously had no touble travelling commercial for many years. Needless to say, this is IMO and that the above bolding is mine.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

that shoe story of Camilla sounds bad, and it is a recent one too.

when I told someone that I liked Charles and all he did I was told it was all carefully managed PR. The Duchy stuff do not harm him financially nor morally (the cookies and his his raspberry and lime jam are great). Being involved in farming responsibly and having the power to do it would make anyone feel good. So I think he is sincere.

His flying concorde to see a ballet is I suppose normal for him and a small group of people so does not me and that must have been long ago.

Sweet detail about his showing his face to the second class.
(I remember someone telling me that she told a little girl to go inside her house while she was playing because Juliana, the Dutch queen was coming to visit. I always thought it is part of their duty to be looked at esp. by children )
Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
For these reasons we did try to use RAF planes. Traveling commercial throws a lot of people into confusion and ruins the bar profits...
I am not quite sure why you have highlighted the trips made in RAF craft, as I am sure you know that No 32 Squadron RAF has been drastically reduced and any trips have to 'fit in' with the governments use and of course operations in the war zones.
Quote:
This type of behavior combined with the more recent examples Camilla's gas guzzling yacht trips and her having her shoes that she forgot at highgrove flown out to the persian gulf, only to decide against wearing them
This quote is from The Mail, which 'led' with the story, but seems to have been missed -
Quote:
Last night Clarence House confirmed that the shoes were dispatched to Kuwait along with other personal items mistakenly left behind, but a spokesman denied claims that Camilla personally ordered the extravagant move
I suppose that somewhat destroys the story though. As for the 'gas guzzling yacht trip, everyone is entitled to a holiday, both Charles and Camilla offset, as do I to cover flights and journeys with the gas guzzling horse box and yes even yachting holidays.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Majesty

I don't know what it is but some people uttlerly refuse to be content with life in general and strike out at others specifically, or in general, in meaness of spirit to justify their own discontent.
Quote:
"When the last Prince of Wales did his world tour by battleship it took him many months. When we went, using an RAF VC 10 for part of the time and travelling commercial for the more lengthy trips, it took four weeks. "
As the cigarette ad used to say . . . You've come al long way baby! Or in this case the Prince of Wales! Three or four month cruises were de rigor for the royal family in the 1930's! Oh what howls of protest would resound if Charles dared waste that amount of time, not to mention military resources, without being seen to be doing something in 2009!
Quote:
"We preferred to use an RAF planes because we could adapt our timings. A commercial plane has to be caught. With the RAF we could come and go at our own pace".[/i]
Sounds perfectly sensible to me. In the 80's and 90's that was the what we expected.
Quote:
"Once we flew the Concorde to New York just to go to the ballet and came right back again. Another time we flew from Vancouver to Florida to play polo at the new Wellington Club complex.'[/i]
All this to-ing and fro-ing was in the heady days of high employment, high salaries/wages, high stock markets and the inevitably consequent, conspicuous consumption. From the working class new kitchens (or in the case of Hilda Ogden false brick cladding), the middle class new cars and houses and the wealthy's new jets, yachts and fab, fun, jaunts.
Quote:
This type of behavior combined with the more recent examples Camilla's gas guzzling yacht trips and her having her shoes that she forgot at highgrove flown out to the persian gulf, only to decide against wearing them, gives me a strong Do-As-I-Say-Not-As-I-Do vibe from Charles. When it is less than convenient for him, global warming is way down the list. He obviously had no touble travelling commercial for many years. Needless to say, this is IMO and that the above bolding is mine.
Gas guzzling yacht trips? You, I presume, would have sailed sans motor! As to the "Camilla and her shoes" diatribe, well how long does it take to Fed Ex? As for Prince Charles' commitment to a sustainable future? None of the above bile obviates the need for specific reasoned arguement. Your main argument seems to be that you just don't like either Prince Charles or the Duchess of Cornwall and any opportunity to reiterate that stance is not to be missed. That is your right. However, drawing parallells with two totally different Prince's of Wales over seventy years apart is neither reasoned nor reasonable!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I don't know what it is but some people uttlerly refuse to be content with life in general and strike out at others specifically, or in general, in meaness of spirit to justify their own discontent.
As the cigarette ad used to say . . . You've come al long way baby! Or in this case the Prince of Wales! Three or four month cruises were de rigor for the royal family in the 1930's! Oh what howls of protest would resound if Charles dared waste that amount of time, not to mention military resources, without being seen to be doing something in 2009!
Sounds perfectly sensible to me. In the 80's and 90's that was the what we expected. All this to-ing and fro-ing was in the heady days of high employment, high salaries/wages, high stock markets and the inevitably consequent, conspicuous consumption. From the working class new kitchens (or in the case of Hilda Ogden false brick cladding), the middle class new cars and houses and the wealthy's new jets, yachts and fab, fun, jaunts. Gas guzzling yacht trips? You, I presume, would have sailed sans motor! As to the "Camilla and her shoes" diatribe, well how long does it take to Fed Ex? As for Prince Charles' commitment to a sustainable future? None of the above bile obviates the need for specific reasoned arguement. Your main argument seems to be that you just don't like either Prince Charles or the Duchess of Cornwall and any opportunity to reiterate that stance is not to be missed. That is your right. However, drawing parallells with two totally different Prince's of Wales over seventy years apart is neither reasoned nor reasonable!
I totally agree with you MARG, you are quite right in what you say. Times have changed and Charles has done more for the environment than to hinder it.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
So, from 'Royal Service' by Charles valet of 12 years in the chapter entitled Travels with my Prince, page 140: "The first time I really flew with him was three months after I started the job. We went to Fiji to confer independence on the Islands and from there we went more or less around the world. When the last Prince of Wales did his world tour by battleship it took him many months. when we went, using an RAF VC 10 for part of the time and travelling commercial for the more lengthy trips, it took four weeks. We preferred to use an RAF planes because we could adapt our timings. A commercial plane has to be caught. With the RAF we could come and go at our own pace". Later the same chapter page 145: "When we flew commercial it was quite different. These flights were rather boring. The Prince never drinks so none of the rest of us would take advantage of all that lovely free first class champagne. Also, people dont realize until they get to the airport who is going to be travelling with them. It only dawns when the full fare paying passengers get irritated when the plane is late leaving....Just to calm everyone down, when we did take off, the Captain always apologized for the delay and then said "As a consolation and with the compliments of the airline, may we offer you an open bar....For these reasons we did try to use RAF planes. Traveling commercial throws a lot of people into confusion and ruins the bar profits...A lot of surprised first class passengers have found themselves sitting next to the Prince passengers, and it creates a very silent flight with everyone on their best behavior...Of course, people are still pleased to have seen him in the flesh. And when he leaves, he pops his head through the curtains to where the second class passengers sit so that they can get a look at him too.I must say working for him gave me some spectacular treats. Once we flew the Concorde to New York just to go to the ballet and came right back again. Another time we flew from Vancouver to Florida to play polo at the new Wellington Club complex.'
Actually the section from the royal valet's memoirs shows very good reasons why the Prince & Camilla shouldn't fly on scheduled commercial flights because of the sheer inconveninece it can cause to other passengers!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I am not quite sure why you have highlighted the trips made in RAF craft, as I am sure you know that No 32 Squadron RAF has been drastically reduced and any trips have to 'fit in' with the governments use and of course operations in the war zones. This quote is from The Mail, which 'led' with the story, but seems to have been missed - I suppose that somewhat destroys the story though. As for the 'gas guzzling yacht trip, everyone is entitled to a holiday, both Charles and Camilla offset, as do I to cover flights and journeys with the gas guzzling horse box and yes even yachting holidays.
Besides which without the supposedly 'gas-guzzling' yacht they wouldn't have been able to do this tour of the Carribean because at least one od the islands, Montserrat isn't accessible by commercial planes.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
Actually the section from the royal valet's memoirs shows very good reasons why the Prince & Camilla shouldn't fly on scheduled commercial flights because of the sheer inconvenience it can cause to other passengers!
I think we also need to bear in mind, times have changed and the threat of attack, (personal or terrorist) is much greater now.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I think we also need to bear in mind, times have changed and the threat of attack, (personal or terrorist) is much greater now.
Yes that is understandable but surely if a royal was flying commericial special measurements would be taken for extra security.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Yes that is understandable but surely if a royal was flying commercial special measurements would be taken for extra security.
If airlines had to do that, it would put the price up for ordinary passengers and we would be back to square one. The checks done on the public invited to royal events, where the invites are sent out weeks in advance, take time and money, so the 'savings' would be minor and members of the public do not wish to be inconvenienced or held up by the security and delays for Prince Charles and entourage.,Llooking at the behaviour of many at the airports, I doubt it.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

The quest for unlimited economic growth is unsustainable and could bankrupt the environment through climate change and depleted natural resources, Prince Charles said on Wednesday.

Nature struggling with debt too - Prince Charles* - Yahoo! News UK

The Prince of Wales has issued a fresh warning of environmental catastrophe, telling an audience in London "if we fail the Earth, we fail humanity"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8141490.stm
Old 07-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
Besides which without the supposedly 'gas-guzzling' yacht they wouldn't have been able to do this tour of the Carribean because at least one od the islands, Montserrat isn't accessible by commercial planes.
Oh dear...Monserrat isn't accessible by commercial planes. Whatever should they do? If only they owned one or two large parcels of land with enormous manor houses, where they could be private and do all the horsey and watercolor and shooting things that they famously had in common.

My point is...with proper preparation there is no reason that the PoW could not take a commerical flight, as he did for many years in the past. When for example, he goes by private jet/concorde or yacht to the ballet or polo or to accept an award for being green and then lectures the rest of the world, it strikes me, in my humble opion as being hypocritical

Tags
environment, global warming, prince charles, prince of wales