Prince Charles and the Environment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The entire climate change debate has political undertones and it usually splits down the middle between liberals and conservatives.

There will be people who agree with Charles and there will be just as many who disagree with him.

This is a topic I have been involved in for some years, since I was in college. The split is a bit more complicated than that imo. :ermm: It has to do with education, science and media bias in certain quarters (Rupert Murdoch has a lot to answer for). It has to do with how one approaches the science, and whether the disinformation campaign set in motion in the 1990's by the oil companies took hold for one, causing one to doubt the science and the scientists.

Is there a thread on climate change on this site? Because of some whistle blowers, we have the below information.

How Exxon went from leader to skeptic on climate change research
By KATIE JENNINGS, DINO GRANDONI AND SUSANNE RUST - OCT. 23, 2015
LINK: http://graphics.latimes.com/exxon-research/
TEXT: "Throughout much of the 1980s, Exxon earned a public reputation as a pioneer in climate change research. It sponsored workshops, funded academic research and conducted its own high-tech experiments exploring the science behind global warming. But by 1990, the company, in public, took a different posture. While still funding select research, it poured millions into a campaign that questioned climate change. Over the next 15 years, it took out prominent ads in the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, contending climate change science was murky and uncertain. And it argued regulations aimed at curbing global warming were ill-considered and premature.

"How did one of the world’s largest oil companies, a leader in climate research, become one of its biggest public skeptics? The answer, gleaned from a trove of archived company documents and the recollections of former employees, is that Exxon, now known as Exxon Mobil, feared a growing public consensus would lead to financially burdensome policies."

Clarence House ‏@ClarenceHouse 2h2 hours ago
Ahead of #COP21, watch The Prince of Wales's full interview about the environment & climate change tonight at 8pm on @SkyNews. #RoadtoParis

Whatever his views I don't think now is the time to bring them up. Indeed it does make people think "looney Charles at it again " IMO there is so much hurt and terror now we don't need Charles rolling out his ideas. He needs to take a leaf out if his parents and grandparents book and be there for the people giving support

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Whatever his views I don't think now is the time to bring them up. Indeed it does make people think "looney Charles at it again " IMO there is so much hurt and terror now we don't need Charles rolling out his ideas. He needs to take a leaf out if his parents and grandparents book and be there for the people giving support

The interview was done before the attacks.

The interview was done before the attacks.

Well it shows then there is a good reason to stay out of politics and a divided subject like this when things can change so quickly.

Well it shows then there is a good reason to stay out of politics and a divided subject like this when things can change so quickly.

Makes no sense. :sad: Silence, when one knows what the stakes are, would be unconscionable. As we proceed (and we are warming far faster than predicted), migrating populations, with the resulting tensions and potential for violence, will increase. We are seeing changes we thought were a century away (if we did nothing).

I am very curious what Charles will say. My guess: far from 'looney.' :sad: If only it could be that easily dismissed.

Last edited:
He might be seen as meddling in government affairs (haven't been following that story so really can't say what's true or not) but other than that he's seems to be a wise and intellectual man and genuinely concerned about these issues and their effects on humanity.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Has the Queen ever got involved in something that divides people ?
IMO royalty should leave politics to those elected.

:previous: The war on terror is about how best to fight terror and is political in so far as the government in the western world is elected. The discussion about the war on terror at this point in time is topical.

Climate change and its impact on humanity are a lifelong discussion topic for any thinking human being. I do not see any overt politics involved in Charles environmental stance. After all, governments have come and governments have gone in the time since he took his first tentative steps into the state of the environment.

Just because some people do not want to address the issue is no reason to label it as political and demand the PoW firmly stick his head in the ground and act like an ostrich. There are far too many supposedly intelligent people doing that already!

To my knowledge, National Geographic et al have never been noted for their rousing political stance on anything. And calling people names is one of the standard calling cards of fully paid up members of the flat earth society.

He might be seen as meddling in government affairs (haven't been following that story so really can't say what's true or not) but other than that he's seems to be a wise and intellectual man and genuinely concerned about these issues and their effects on humanity.

Climate Change is not 'government affairs'. :sad: Climate Change is an event that should have every human alive on this planet standing at full alert. We all have a right to speak our minds on this issue, and that would include Charles. It is the corporatists who do not want free discourse on the topic, and would not want someone with Charles' high profile speaking his 'green' perspective.

Watch carefully how Charles will be dismissed as 'crackers'. Watch the ad hominem comments come flooding in. We can all have disagreements about details, and even substance. But why is it that with some issues (like Climate Change) the pro-camp have to be denigrated to the extent of their persons? Why wolves to a blood-letting? Think about it.

:previous: The war on terror is about how best to fight terror and is political in so far as the government in the western world is elected. The discussion about the war on terror at this point in time is topical.

Climate change and its impact on humanity are a lifelong discussion topic for any thinking human being. I do not see any overt politics involved in Charles environmental stance. After all, governments have come and governments have gone in the time since he took his first tentative steps into the state of the environment.

Just because some people do not want to address the issue is no reason to label it as political and demand the PoW firmly stick his head in the ground and act like an ostrich. There are far too many supposedly intelligent people doing that already!

To my knowledge, National Geographic et al have never been noted for their rousing political stance on anything. And calling people names is one of the standard calling cards of fully paid up members of the flat earth society.

I agree. :flowers: Good points.

Last edited:
I will just repeat the Queen has never done anything like this and is widely loved. Charles on the other is doing things differently. You may agree with that I don't it is MO

I will just repeat the Queen has never done anything like this and is widely loved.

She did nothing like it possibly because she was fulfilling a cultural role as wife and mother in her private life. It was the 1950's, after all. Pretty prim and starchy. :flowers: In that role, she (correctly, by the mores of the time) allowed her husband to voice his views and concerns about the environment (and other things). She herself stayed silent, and all was right with the world.

Charles on the other is doing things differently.

Exactly so, at least for an heir that is male. :flowers: In so many ways Charles is following in his father's footsteps. Philip's concerns have become Charles'.

You may agree with that I don't it is MO

Yes, understood. :flowers:

No wonder why the PoW's sanity is questioned from time to time.

Did you read the article? We need more people in the public eye to make statements like the one the Prince of Wales made.

Did you read the article? We need more people in the public eye to make statements like the one the Prince of Wales made.

Its been a passion for Charles' for a very long time now and sustainable living is becoming more and more difficult in many areas. One of the biggest problems the earth faces is that population is growing rapidly while available resources are quickly disappearing. Charles is not the only one to jump on this bandwagon but is among many to pick up the banner to raise awareness.

"Unlike plagues of the dark ages or contemporary diseases we do not understand, the modern plague of overpopulation is soluble by means we have discovered and with resources we posses. What is lacking is not sufficient knowledge of the solution but universal consciousness of the gravity of the problem and education of the billions who are its victim."

- Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader and Nobel laureate

What am I concerned about right now ? The guy sitting across from me on the train with a bag on his lap he's sweating and looking nervous is there a bomb in the bag?? The young man on the street swearing and yelling is he on ice will he pull out a knife. Am I worried about climate change ? Hell no ! Do I want to hear Charles talk about? No !!

What am I concerned about right now ? The guy sitting across from me on the train with a bag on his lap he's sweating and looking nervous is there a bomb in the bag?? The young man on the street swearing and yelling is he on ice will he pull out a knife. Am I worried about climate change ? Hell no ! Do I want to hear Charles talk about? No !!

But when the current terrorist threat is neutralised, and the drug problem brought under control, climate change will still be a problem. I am very interested in what Charles has to say about it. He has had a keen interest in the environment for decades and is very informed on the subject.

I believe climate change is something that is above politics. I believe it is a subject that every nation on earth should be taking seriously and talking about, and trying to do something about.

Roslyn I don't think any of those things will be bought under control. I don't think climate change has caused Isis considering the Christian / Muslim wars have always been and will always be IMO

Video:
In Full: Charles On Climate Change - A Sky News Exclusive-

In Full: Charles On Climate Change - A Sky News Exclusive

Brilliant interview and I always enjoy hearing Charles's views on this very urgent matter of climate change.

He's not saying that climate change is the main cause of these terror wars, but that it's part of the problem. There are many factors involved. Some of it is biblical.

I think ISIS will be brought under control, one way or another. Most likely it will fizzle out or they'll be bombed to oblivion and that particular conflict will cease and there'll be relative quiet in the Middle East until the next flare-up occurs there. You're probably right about the drug problem, sadly.

But I wasn't intending to imply that there was a direct connection between terrorism and drugs and climate change, merely trying to make the point that climate change will continue to be a problem no matter what happens in respect of those other two issues. Charles isn't saying climate change has caused ISIS, merely that the effects of climate change have contributed to that sort of problem because of the added pressure the consequences of climate change place on society.

ETA That interview is excellent. Charles is a wise and informed man and what he has to say about the subject is well worth listening to. Thank you for posting the link, Dman.

Last edited:
Roslyn sorry I didn't mean to sound off so much we can both have different views ?

To a lesser extent, the climatic influence on society is something I think we've all experienced from time to time. With warnings of an impending severe snowstorm or hurricane, I've seen people go crazy battling to get supplies like water and candles and staples. Store shelves empty out quite quickly and people are not in a good mood doing it. :D

Am I worried about climate change ?

The intelligent, concerned being has brain power enough to worry about terrorism,migration and climate change.. since they are inextricably linked. Anything else is 'short-termism' of the worst kind. In this [as so often] the Prince shows great sense.

The intelligent, concerned being has brain power enough to worry about terrorism,migration and climate change.. since they are inextricably linked. Anything else is 'short-termism' of the worst kind. In this [as so often] the Prince shows great sense.

Well you can worry for both of us because I have enough worries without adding in climate change. You and Charles can take it on.
Gotta love climate change people always hold the high and mighty ground by trying to put anyone that doesn't agree down.

What Prince Charles gets wrong – and right – about climate change and conflict in Syria.

By Steffen Bohm - Professor in Management and Sustainability, and Director, Essex Sustainability Institute, University of Essex

What Prince Charles gets wrong – and right – about climate change and conflict in Syria

Curious article: ascribing to Charles personally an argument that he never made. Very deft. :cool: The article's author seems intent on the very point the Pentagon report and the study are very clear about, namely: that natural extremes in weather will be aggravated by climate change (which will produce additional unstable weather conditions) and which, taken altogether, will aggravate unstable political and historically derived conditions. No disagreement here, yet the author seems to be positing a 'gotcha'.

Here we have the 'gotcha': "Finger pointing at climate change by environmentalists, whether by Prince Charles or Johan Rockström, is at best simplistic." Ah! Simplistic. :rolleyes: What is being said (in the reports and studies, and by Charles) is exactly what the author re-states (in a fairly patronizing tone) as though it is his own epiphany.

Not sure what to make of the article, except that it gives the opportunity of saying that Charles is wrong (regarding an argument he never actually made) and simplistic. :huh: This is the nub: Charles must be seen as foolish and talking out-of-his-depth. The suggestion that Charles (or Johan Rockström) are simplistic in their reasoning is remarkable, given all the caveats that apply. Very deft way of poking at a colleague while keeping Charles in-line, framed as a simplistic thinker. :rolleyes:

BTW the above was the 'best', here's the other shoe: "At worst it is a wilful misrepresentation of the historical realities and concrete political and economic relations that lead to conflict." Again, suggesting that Charles was making an argument he never actually made, but basically making him out a liar.

So there we have it: a very deft attempt (and likely successful) to paint Charles as a simplistic thinker and someone who would lie. Did I mention that the ad hominem would be following very soon after the interview?

But I wasn't intending to imply that there was a direct connection between terrorism and drugs and climate change, merely trying to make the point that climate change will continue to be a problem no matter what happens in respect of those other two issues. Charles isn't saying climate change has caused ISIS, merely that the effects of climate change have contributed to that sort of problem because of the added pressure the consequences of climate change place on society.

Exactly so. :flowers: Charles was making the same point the author of the article noted was pressing.

Last edited:
Whatever his views I don't think now is the time to bring them up. Indeed it does make people think "looney Charles at it again " IMO there is so much hurt and terror now we don't need Charles rolling out his ideas. He needs to take a leaf out if his parents and grandparents book and be there for the people giving support.

Well you can worry for both of us because I have enough worries without adding in climate change. You and Charles can take it on. Gotta love climate change people always hold the high and mighty ground by trying to put anyone that doesn't agree down.

There's a disjunct here. :ermm: I had to go back to make sure I had read the 'looney' bit correctly. Not I (nor anyone else that I can see) have painted anyone who does not think Climate Change is important as 'looney'. I think the descent into ad hominem statements was begun with your post above (and is limited to that one post).

Roslyn I don't think any of those things will be bought under control. I don't think climate change has caused Isis considering the Christian / Muslim wars have always been and will always be IMO.

No one has said climate change caused Isis, not Charles, nor any of the reports/studies have so said. What has been stated is that climate change has aggravated the situation in Syria. It is the first on-the-ground example of what has been the feared scenario as the climate warms, namely: agricultural lands fail, starvation looms, populations start to move (inevitably towards/into cities), stressing already stressed urban infrastructures and resources.

Additionally, where there is already failed government and/or sectarian strife (for whatever historical and cultural reasons) the situation will lead to civil strife (over scarce resources and overcrowding) that then pours over borders as both refugees and actual war. The very tragic point being made is that what we are seeing happening in Syria and in Europe vis-a-vis the refugees, may become the 'new normal' as the climate warms and eco-systems (particularly agricultural lands) fail.

Last edited:
Lady Nimue I could explain how and why I repeated the word "looney" But I don't really care there's too much else to worry about in the world and in my world at moment.

:previous:

In that case, how about we move on then? Further posts which contribute little to the discussion will be removed.

Back
Top Bottom