The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

I was fascinated to read recently something about community action which has created the essential pre-conditions for sustainable development. The other day I visited an area in Bradford where my Foundation has been working for the last several years and I met a lot of young adolescent teenagers who had been working on a project which involved taking photos of all the buildings they liked and what they didn't like.

Prince Charles: We must shape our environment in partnership with nature - Commentators, Opinion - The Independent

"BRUTAL and insensitive" globalisation has been attacked by Prince Charles, who suggested "locally inspired" solutions could one day benefit the world.
Charles praised cities, towns and villages that had retained a sense of community that equipped people to deal with global problems.

Prince Puts Case For Sense Of Community (from The Herald )

Old 02-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Commoner

If Charles only had a real job to occupy his mind, he'd never have jumped on the enviro bandwagon. I think a lot of it is nonsense. People should be stewards of the earth and take care of it, yes, but they shouldn't be enslaved by greedy governmental taxes and hysterical media people. I don't think global warming has ever been proven,but people are eager to tax other people into poverty for the sake of junk science. First it was global cooling, now it's global warming, and soon it will be time for global cooling nuts to start up again.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

As you might imagine, I disagree with you 100%. Global Warming is happening and although it is a naturally occurring event, the actions of humans are exacerbating the problem. Many people prefer to ignore the warning signs in their greed and dismiss the evidence.

Charles was called a nut and look how he has been proved right on so many matters.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Passionate environmentalist Prince Charles has dedicated this year to addressing what he describes as "one of the biggest crisis facing the planet" - the plight of the world's rainforests

Charles to dedicate 2009 to saving world's endangered rainforest
Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Commoner

I think all of us have to make up our own minds on the matter, and the fact that Charles has been right about other things in the past, doesn't make him right about so-called global warming. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I think a lot of people have been sold a lot of bull about junk science. As many scientists disagree as agree about so-called global warming, and it is said that the math was incorrectly done, to force the wrong conclusions. But to each their own; you can be for it, and I can be against it. Best wishes.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

No a broken clock is a broken clock.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Absolutely correct Sky!

A broken promise is a broken promise . . . firms such as Monsanto have been raping the land since time immemorial and lying to the "ignorant" masses, expecting to be universally and unconditionally believed. Only the scale has changed. Bees dying all over the world . . . . There is an acceptable level of melamine in milk? An acceptable level of bacteria in peanut butter? You name it, and the "Corporate World" has done it.

So, in the UK you have one really high profile Eco-Warrior that just won't go away, and what a prince he is! In fact he is a Prince and that is what protects his voice from being silenced on ecology, sustainabilty, global warming, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
"BRUTAL and insensitive" globalisation has been attacked by Prince Charles, who suggested "locally inspired" solutions could one day benefit the world.

Charles praised cities, towns and villages that had retained a sense of community that equipped people to deal with global problems.
Prince Charles stand is a beacon to us all. Long may he continue his work to the music of corporate gnashing of teeth!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Jade View Post
If Charles only had a real job to occupy his mind, he'd never have jumped on the enviro bandwagon. I think a lot of it is nonsense. People should be stewards of the earth and take care of it, yes, but they shouldn't be enslaved by greedy governmental taxes and hysterical media people. I don't think global warming has ever been proven,
It has.

Quote:
but people are eager to tax other people into poverty for the sake of junk science.
Nonsense.

Quote:
First it was global cooling, now it's global warming, and soon it will be time for global cooling nuts to start up again.
Nope.

Quote:
I think all of us have to make up our own minds on the matter, and the fact that Charles has been right about other things in the past, doesn't make him right about so-called global warming. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I think a lot of people have been sold a lot of bull about junk science. As many scientists disagree as agree about so-called global warming,
Not true.

Quote:
and it is said that the math was incorrectly done, to force the wrong conclusions.
Of course it was said. And no doubt it was said by global-warming deniers. This is an accusation of criminal fraud, I hope you realise, and it'd be nice to back it up with something approaching an actual hard fact before you accuse the scientists concerned of such things, and accuse Prince Charles of supporting and abetting them.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post

It has.

Nonsense.

Nope.

Not true.
Very pithy Elspeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Of course it was said. And no doubt it was said by global-warming deniers. This is an accusation of criminal fraud, I hope you realise, and it'd be nice to back it up with something approaching an actual hard fact before you accuse the scientists concerned of such things, and accuse Prince Charles of supporting and abetting them.
Indubitably!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
m I don't think global warming has ever been proven,but people are eager to tax other people into poverty for the sake of junk science. First it was global cooling, now it's global warming, and soon it will be time for global cooling nuts to start up again.
You´re not serious, are you?

The prince will be making a visit to the Amazon in Brazil next month where he will give a keynote speech on what he has described as 'one of the biggest crises facing the planet'.

Prince Charles | Rainforests | Global warming | Save Nature | World Climate |
Old 02-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles and Camilla to fly 16,000 miles in private jet on 'absurd' global GREEN crusade | Mail Online
Old 02-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Nobility

Oh i wonder if HRH will ever learn.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

... to learn what ..? All his supporters argue that His Royal Highness Prince Charles will offset his carbon emissions. I am not sure about effectinvess of offsetting carbon emissions though. Thus, it will be both fruitless and useless attempt to argue otherwise. It is impossible for Prince Charles, Duchess of Cornwall, and their entourage to paddle in seas and ocean.

It is Prince Charles's duty to go to Australia | Matthew Parris - Times Online
The country has been hit by disaster. This is the moment for a visit that could stop the slide towards republicanism

Quote:
As bushfires in Victoria continued to burn yesterday, Australia's ABC News reported the Prince of Wales as saying: “I don't quite know how to express enough sympathy, how much we feel for people.” Doesn't he? Here's a suggestion. Go there. You haven't visited since March 2005, and this week the country's been hit by its greatest natural and human disaster in memory. If the flood in Hull in the summer of 2007 justified a visit, doesn't this? Elbow aside the humming and hah-ing of Palace officials, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and probably the Australian Federal Government too.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 02-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
... to learn what ..?
To learn that not many people are willing to be preached to on the environment by someone who has travelled to do the preaching on an aircraft that could carry hundreds of people but will instead be carry about 50 instead
This is the one thing about Charles that really annoys me and usually I think he does a great job. He says he is so passionate about the environment but doesn’t seem to be willing to make this life any less comfortable to save the environment.
Why can't he travel by scheduled aircraft? The official reason given isn't even that it would be a security risk (which is understandable) but that he will be so busy, well then why not work out a schedule that allows him to travel on a scheduled airliner. I'm sure if Charles insisted on travelling scheduled his staff could work something out. Or of course he could travel on a much smaller aircraft and take a much smaller staff. It just seems to me that there are move Charles could take to reduce his carbon use if he really wanted to but then he might have to travel business class - shock horror!!!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I see... Well ... this is the way Prince Charles works. Nothing can be done about it. As I have stated earlier, all arguments against chartered planes are rebutted by the "Prince Charles will offset the carbon emisssions" statement.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I see... Well ... this is the way Prince Charles works. Nothing can be done about it. As I have stated earlier, all arguments against chartered planes are rebutted by "Prince Charles will offset the carbon emisssions".
I wonder if Charles will ever realise that if he dosn't damage the environment so much he wouldn't have to "offset carbon emissions". I've always thought offsetting was more for the average week away in the Med rather than a trip for 50 on a 200 seater aircraft.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Majesty

Offsetting carbon emissions can apply equally to the person driving to work as to Prince Charles flying half-way around the world.

The scale of the carbon use would require an equal scale of offsetting but it can be done.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

The concept of offsetting carbon emission is totally alien to me. Neither Prince Charles nor other gurus of this concept seem to provide an easy-to-understand description. If Prince Charles and rest think that they can offset carbon emission, let them do it.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1716 View Post
To learn that not many people are willing to be preached to on the environment by someone who has travelled to do the preaching on an aircraft that could carry hundreds of people but will instead be carry about 50 instead
This is the one thing about Charles that really annoys me and usually I think he does a great job. He says he is so passionate about the environment but doesn’t seem to be willing to make this life any less comfortable to save the environment.
Why can't he travel by scheduled aircraft? The official reason given isn't even that it would be a security risk (which is understandable) but that he will be so busy, well then why not work out a schedule that allows him to travel on a scheduled airliner. I'm sure if Charles insisted on travelling scheduled his staff could work something out. Or of course he could travel on a much smaller aircraft and take a much smaller staff. It just seems to me that there are move Charles could take to reduce his carbon use if he really wanted to but then he might have to travel business class - shock horror!!!!!
Other articles state that it will be a staff of 14 people and a private jet.

Latest Headlines, Top News, Entertainment, Health, Science and Sports News - UPI

The easiest solution would be for TRH to just stay home, stick to hologram meetings, or teleconferencing, and still continue with their regular engagements in the UK. No carbon footprints.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1716 View Post
I wonder if Charles will ever realise that if he dosn't damage the environment so much he wouldn't have to "offset carbon emissions". I've always thought offsetting was more for the average week away in the Med rather than a trip for 50 on a 200 seater aircraft.
If he didn't visit, there would be even less people taking any notice of such a serious issue. Why would offsetting be restricted for the tourist brigade? I offset on all sorts of things, many companies give the option, from electricity usage, car insurance, flights etc.

I want to do all I can to hand over this one planet and it's remaining beauty to my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Tags
environment, global warming, prince charles, prince of wales