The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

He's been Charles for nearly 60 years, and that's who he is. That's the name his parents gave him, and that's the name by which he is known and should be known as King. The idea he might inherit "bad luck" by using it is just plain silly, IMO.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
He's been Charles for nearly 60 years, and that's who he is. That's the name his parents gave him, and that's the name by which he is known and should be known as King. The idea he might inherit "bad luck" by using it is just plain silly, IMO.
Elizabeth II's father was known as HRH Prince Albert of York but upon HRH's accension to the British throne in 1936 he took the name of George VI as the continuation of his father,George V.George VI was known as Albert for 41 years before he inherited the throne from his brother,Edward VIII.Same goes to the late Queen Victoria who was born Alexandrina Victoria while Edward VIII was referred to as Prince David.So Britons' should be accustommed to George VII later.I meant bad image not bad luck in my previous post.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:16 PM

Why would the name Charles present a bad image? We know who he is and he'll be Charles III, not Charles I or Charles II so I don't see quite what the problem would be.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Why would the name Charles present a bad image? We know who he is and he'll be Charles III, not Charles I or Charles II so I don't see quite what the problem would be.
That was HRH's opinion that was conveyed to his aides.You have to ask HRH himself.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:32 PM

And I imagine you've asked him yourself? How do you know that that was his opinion conveyed to his aides? These things are hearsay and can't be taken as fact.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Is there some verified published source for this alleged preference?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Aristocracy

I have read many articles in the UK press that short change Charles, believing when he ascends to the throne countries in the Commonwealth which still acknowledge the Queen as their head of state may not continue the practice once Charles is king. I don't think that will be the case especially now, he seems more adjusted to his role and happier than I can remember. I am not sure what basis the press has for such a view.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_rankin
I have read many articles in the UK press that short change Charles, believing when he ascends to the throne countries in the Commonwealth which still acknowledge the Queen as their head of state may not continue the practice once Charles is king. I don't think that will be the case especially now, he seems more adjusted to his role and happier than I can remember. I am not sure what basis the press has for such a view.
One basis would be the fact that Australia has already had a referendum on becoming a republic.

We are due to have a federal election within the next 18 moments. If the current opposition wins that election (and that is a very real possibility) we will probably have another referendum within a year or so. The Labour party will get the question right so that the majority of Australians, who when asked if they won't to be a republic indicate Yes (currently about 70% of the population). In that case Australia will be a republic within the next three or so years.

Many Australians admire the Queen but the majority want an Australian to be our Head of State.

It has nothing to do with her as an individual, or Charles, or William as individuals. It is that they want an Australian to be Head of State. I work with about 78 other people most of whom admire the Queen but all of whom would vote for a republic.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Chrissy, do you think they'd wait until the end of the present reign to actually become a republic or do it as soon as they can after getting a favourable vote? Assuming the Queen lives another five years or more, of course.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Majesty

Aussies and Kiwis are nothing if not pragmatists. The current crop of wannabe El Presidente/Premier's is hardly inspiring on either side of the Tasman.

Having a head of state historically linked but geopgraphically distant has a lot to recommend it.

For the Republican movement that is the biggest hurdle to get over. Not to mention the fact that they would cost an awful lot more than our currnet heads of state.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Heir Apparent

This is a speech given by our shadow Attorney-General to the Australian Republican Movement last November:

http://www.alp.org.au/media/1105/speag230.php

You'll note that a three stage process is envisaged and I think the stages are intended to be a couple of years apart. Even if Labor wins the next election, it is likely to be a slow process.

Another insight into Australian Labor Party thinking, and more particularly that of the shadow Attorney-General:

http://www.republic.org.au/ARM-2001/...n03jun2006.htm

This newsletter from the Australian Republican Movement's web page explains, under the heading "Queen's Birthday Weekend", why they want to act before the end of the Queen's reign:

http://www.republic.org.au/ARM-2001/...06/jul2006.htm
Old 08-10-2006, 05:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Chrissy, do you think they'd wait until the end of the present reign to actually become a republic or do it as soon as they can after getting a favourable vote? Assuming the Queen lives another five years or more, of course.

As the intention in 1999 was for the republic to come at the celebration of the 100th anniversary of Federation in 2001 I don't think that the life of the present queen's life will make any difference.

As the support for being a republic is quite large it is getting the model acceptable to the Australian people that is the issue.

If they do that then I suspect that the republic could be within months, or at most a year, of the positive vote.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_rankin
From my point of view I think Prince Charles would do better to be known as King George VII rather than his current moniker. History didn't particularly prove keen to Charles I and Charles II, I wouldn't want him to inherit any bad luck using the appellation of Charles III. But then it might be hard for people to adjust to knowing him as George rather than Charles. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
There already has been (de jure) a Charles III. of Great Britain, even though he failed to regain his rightful throne when he lost the battle of Culloden... Prince Charles Edward Louis Philip Casimir Stuart (aka Bonnie Prince Charlie) was the firstborn son of the only son of king James II. of Great-Britain and would have been directly in line for the throne if parliament had not decided that his father's catholic faith was a danger to the realm and had taken away this Stuart's line's birthright.

Alas, today there are no real Stuart claiments to the British throne anymore, as this line would go via a princess who had renounced her inheritage rights on marrying into the French Royal family. So why should their claim be better than that of the line of princess Elizabeth Stuart and her daughter, the electress Sophia of Hanover?

As the current Prince Charles has a degree in history and is very interested in all matters of religion and faith, I, for one, could well understand why he would not take on the name of a Stuart prince who was robbed of his birthright due to his catholic religion. It's bad enough that catholics and potential heirs with catholic spouses are barred from the succession, but taking on the name of Charles III. would make matters even worth.

And remember how his own mother dealt with the history of her family: even though there never was a queen Elizabeth I. of the United Kingdom, only the great queen Elizabeth I of England (!), she chose the name Elizabeth II. for herself. I really can't imagine that Prince Charles is less respectful.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
Attached is an article from the Malaysian newspaper,News Straits Times (NST) a few months back regarding Prince Charles's preference of being known as King George VII once he assumes the British throne in the future.The orginal size of the article was 640 KB but I made it smaller in order to be attached here as the maximum limit to attach a jpeg file is only 200 KB.I edited its brightness and contrast,I hope it could be read.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 AM

There's been several articles like that srivishnu but no word from Clarence House or Buckingham Palace, or Prince Charles for that matter. The writing is a little small so if it contains a statement by Charles stating his preference then I'll gladly accept it but at the moment, I'm afraid there isn't concrete evidence of a preference on regnal name.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Gentry

I really hope he keeps the name Charles and i haven't heard anything "official"regarding the matter,so until i do i will continue to believe he will accede to the throne as King Charles lll.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivishnu
Attached is an article from the Malaysian newspaper,News Straits Times (NST) a few months back regarding Prince Charles's preference of being known as King George VII once he assumes the British throne in the future.
Oh No, not the one or two un-named trusted friends again.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Nobility

I think it is in extreme bad taste for charles or his office to make any statements about what his name will or won't be when and if he becomes king- especially in this celebratory year for the Queen and especially given everyone's acceptance of Camilla. I jus t don't get why the press would start this up now either?!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:51 PM

Neither Charles or his spokesmen and women have made any statements. The only comment I think I've ever seen is "We can't comment on that" and I believe that was the answer used when Gyles Brandreth asked them for his book.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Nobility

glad to hear it! That really had me steaming!

Closed Thread

Tags
accession, camilla, coronation, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, styles and titles