The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Indeed. This isn't Morocco or Swaziland though. This is Britain and we do things properly here.
I'm not saying that Britain should follow these countries. I'm only saying that that the kings of these countries have Princess Consorts. Hey, I want Camilla to be Queen Consort!

Old 01-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
But no one said that England should follow other royal traditions. I didn't understand BeatrixFan's comment that Britain does things more properly.
Have you taken a look at Swaziland?!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
Have you taken a look at Swaziland?!
Yes, but Swaziland is headed by an Autocratic monarch so what does one really expect? How many is it now? Wife number 13 or something 'The females of the king'...

Whatever the decision in England, it shall have nothing to do wth either Swaziland or Morocco and is in no way a reflection of their monarchial institutions.

One is absolute, one is semi-constitutional and the other constitutional. Quite a varied spectrum and are all very much different (with reason to be).
Old 01-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

If other countries have a Princess Consort in addition to or in place of a Queen Consort, well that's good. I'm sure it's been working out great for them, but let's not fix what isn't broken. And by that I mean, if there is no precedence for a Princess Consort in England......why make one up?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
And by that I mean, if there is no precedence for a Princess Consort in England......why make one up?
I guess one would have to ask those who proposed it in the first place.

Quote:
...but let's not fix what isn't broken
Obviously some thought there was something worthy of being added. Circumstances shape people and they shape situations. More notably in the later half of the twentieth century, they (the circumstances then at hand) also started to shape hereditary institutions

Everything evolves, nothing stays the same as it once was. The question is, can it continue to maintain what's old and what's new, and in the process find a balance which continues a function of relevance.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

If anything, I see this as being uselful (not that its its purpose?) to read public opinion in regards to social feeling. If there is an "outcry" then at least they know people still give a damn. If there is support for the decision (Princess Consort)..again, at least they know people continue to hold interest but if there's nothing, well, that's when I (personally) would start to worry a little.

Indifference can be a shaky resolve for those who are subject to it.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Whatever the decision in England, it shall have nothing to do wth either Swaziland or Morocco and is in no way a reflection of their monarchial institutions.
Agreed. Just wanted people to know that some princess consorts are married to kings; they aren't always "equivalent" (as someone used earlier) to their husbands rank of king.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
If other countries have a Princess Consort in addition to or in place of a Queen Consort, well that's good. I'm sure it's been working out great for them, but let's not fix what isn't broken. And by that I mean, if there is no precedence for a Princess Consort in England......why make one up?
Quote:
I guess one would have to ask those who proposed it in the first place.

Obviously some thought there was something worthy of being added. Circumstances shape people and they shape situations. More notably in the later half of the twentieth century, they (the circumstances then at hand) also started to shape hereditary institutions

Everything evolves, nothing stays the same as it once was. The question is, can it continue to maintain what's old and what's new, and in the process find a balance which continues a function of relevance.
This is just a vicious circle. This princess consort was thrown out there to confuse the masses IMO. Heck it had me scratching my head. Will anyone in Britain really care when the smoke clears? I mean, given the life span of the Queen Mum and take in consideration that the present queen seems to be in good health, will anyone really care whenever the time comes?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Agreed. Just wanted people to know that some princess consorts are married to kings; they aren't always "equivalent" (as someone used earlier) to their husbands rank of king.
Absolutely
Old 01-19-2007, 03:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
But no one said that England should follow other royal traditions. I didn't understand BeatrixFan's comment that Britain does things more properly.
IIRC the king of Swaziland has several wifes while the king of Marocco is the souverain of an islamic state with certain issues regarding the equality of men and women. For someone who believes in said equality the (must I already say: former?) way to deal with these issues in Britain looks more proper.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
IIRC the king of Swaziland has several wifes
I thought it was 13, though some have since left His Majesty. Moreover, I don't believe divorce is an option and so are still legally married to Mswati III.

'Lucky' women huh?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I thought it was 13, though some have since left His Majesty. Moreover, I don't believe divorce is an option and so are still legally married to Mswati III.

'Lucky' women huh?
At least noone can say now that prince Charles has more than one wife - CoE or not...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
At least noone can say now that prince Charles has more than one wife - CoE or not...
Haha...
Old 01-19-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
What do you mean by properly?
Exactly what I say. A King is married to a Queen, they are known as Their Majesties and we've been doing things that way for hundreds of years. We have a set standard and anything that falls below that standard simply isn't cricket.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Just wanted people to know that some princess consorts are married to kings; they aren't always "equivalent" (as someone used earlier) to their husbands rank of king.
Well pointed out!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Nobility

The example of Elizabeth of York is a very good one.

Queen of England by right of marriage
Princess of England by right of birth (and many would argue, Queen of England by right of birth too with her husband usurping her throne since she was sister to the Princes in the Tower, but I digress)

She was then both Queen and Princess. Of course you would use the senior title of Queen, but she did not cease to be a Princess of England in her own right when she became Queen Consort in right of her husband.

Branch keeps saying that the Queen Consort cannot be anything else because to be Princess Consort as well would be "morganatic". The point I make repeatedly and he repeatedly IMO glosses over or perhaps misunderstands is that there is nothing morganatic about it if the title of Princess Consort is an "own right" title.

There is plenty of precedent in British royal marriages for Queens consort to hold peerages. Usually they have been of other nations and of course usually one uses the highest title one bears, which is why "Duchess of Cornwall" is significant as a major break from tradition.

Bu I'm grateful to the smart poster who gave the example of Elizabeth of York. Queen and Princess simultaneously. Just because she used the title of Queen consort did not mean she lost the rights conferred on her by birth as the daughter of Edward IV. And Camilla can use any own-right title she posesses without morganatic coming into it. And she can be made a Princess of the UK in her own right with a stroke of the King's pen.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Also, if you call the legal wife of the King, something other than what the legal wife of the King is to be called, you are saying that she is not worthy to be styled as the legal wife of the King. It doesn't matter if you give it to her in her own right or just tell her that's what she'll be using.

The wife of the King is the Queen. That's how it works in England and many other countries. To give her a title BELOW what she is entitled to have by marriage, is in effect saying something is not right in the marriage and she cannot be styled the way other women in her position are styled. How is that not the definition of morganatic?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If by calling that person "smart" you are then implying the rest of us are "stupid", I'm not jiving on that one bit. You could have made that whole point without that word.
I maybe wrong, but I think you have misread Frothy's intent.

Smart as in 'what a clever comparison', or (in the case of the poster which was JoP I think) of 'sharp mind'. Personally, I was not offended in the slightest and I'd have to agree It was a worthy example.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
Branch keeps saying that the Queen Consort cannot be anything else because to be Princess Consort as well would be "morganatic". The point I make repeatedly and he repeatedly IMO glosses over or perhaps misunderstands is that there is nothing morganatic about it if the title of Princess Consort is an "own right" title.

There is plenty of precedent in British royal marriages for Queens consort to hold peerages. Usually they have been of other nations and of course usually one uses the highest title one bears, which is why "Duchess of Cornwall" is significant as a major break from tradition.

And Camilla can use any own-right title she posesses without morganatic coming into it. And she can be made a Princess of the UK in her own right with a stroke of the King's pen.
I said a Queen Consort cannot hold a lesser rank and title without consent from Parliament and the Crown Commonwealth. There is no other title for the wife of the King at the present time except being HM The Queen.

In order for Camilla to be HRH The Princess Consort (which is a lesser title and rank than being HM The Queen) in her own right, Parliament would have to pass legislation removing her legal rank as the wife of the King, making her a commoner and freeing The Sovereign to create her a Princess of the UK via letters patent.

The Duchess of Cornwall is one of Camilla's titles and is equal in rank and precedence to Princess of Wales. Her present rank and title is HRH The Princess Charles as the wife of a prince of the UK. That would not the case if she is downgraded to HRH The Princess Consort after she is legally The Queen.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Queens Consort are legally commoners, as they are neither the Sovereign nor a peer. Indeed, any member of the royal family without a peerage (Prince William, Prince Harry, Princess Anne, etc) is a commoner. As has been said before by several, the only person on whom a peerage, style, or title cannot be conferred is the fount of honour his or herself. Thus, Queen Camilla could be made a Princess in her own right, and be granted the right to be styled "Princess Consort."

Closed Thread

Tags
accession, camilla, coronation, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, styles and titles