The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #421  
Old 09-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Not Saying, United Kingdom
Posts: 309
That is simply not the case. Buckingham Palace made the announcement that it was intended that she will be HRH the Princess Consort upon the accession of Charles.

An announcement made, accepted in the British press, in Wikipedia, on the official website of the royal family - everywhere except here!

I hope Charles changes his intention and gives his wife the title and more importantly the style that is her due. But I'm not too hopeful, since even on TRF she is referred to as 'the Duchess of Cornwall'.

Where is the precedent for that? No Princess of Wales has done it in our history.

Once you mess with precedent, you get into trouble IMO.
__________________

  #422  
Old 09-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Not Saying, United Kingdom
Posts: 309
And while we are at it, even the small wiggle room of "intended that" has been eliminated on the Royal Family's official government website, which the Royal Household approves:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page3974.asp

Quote:
After the wedding, Mrs Parker Bowles became known as HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. When The Prince of Wales accedes to the throne, she will be known as HRH The Princess Consort.
This official source (note the .gov) affirms that she'll be legally queen but "known as" PC, just as in a severe breach of hundreds of years of precedent, she is "known as" the Duchess of Cornwall instead of her husband's style.

I am only happy when i see them in Scotland and the captions say "The Duke and Duchess of Rothesay".
__________________

  #423  
Old 09-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
That is simply not the case. Buckingham Palace made the announcement that it was intended that she will be HRH the Princess Consort upon the accession of Charles.
When asked BP put forward the suggestion that she would be known as Princess Consort, however the PoW website is worded thus:-

It is intended that The Duchess of Cornwall should use the title HRH The Princess Consort when The Prince of Wales accedes to The Throne

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/abou...rnwall_01.html

As Charles will be King, he might have more to say about what she is called, he fought to marry her (despite a lot thinking he would not). As many have already said the only reason that BP made any statement at all, was because of the threat of demonstrations at the time of the wedding. I am glad to say most of the British public (IMO) have moved on.
  #424  
Old 09-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
An announcement made, accepted in the British press, in Wikipedia
It was a statement rather than an announcement and of course the two sources mentioned are 100% reliable!
  #425  
Old 09-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
The bottom line is Camilla will be Queen Consort the moment Charles becomes King. The Government made clear legislation is necessary for Camilla to be known as HRH The Princess Consort. It remains highly doubtful any such legislation would ever make it to the floor of the Commons.

She will be HM Queen Camilla when Charles becomes the Sovereign.
  #426  
Old 09-08-2006, 05:22 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
Camilla supporters,

I am in no way attempting to belittle your opinion of Camilla, or her achievements, or her importance to Charles. No one disputes the fact that she will legally become HM Queen Camilla, the Queen Consort when Charles takes the throne unless Parliament is petitioned to deny her the title. Well, who besides Charles, as King, would be in a position to do such a thing? I admit that I do not know enough about English law to state anything else with absolute certainty. I think that Parliament could take the initiative themselves, but really, would they bother at this point?

If it is only the King that could make such a request, and Charles does so, knowing how he feels about his "darling" (and I do not mean this in a negative way), shouldn't his subjects respect his wishes which would almost certainly reflect Camilla's? He most likely is shopping the "Princess Consort" title around while there is still some dissent (hence the wording intended) and will make a final decision upon his ascension. Camilla will almost certainly be referred to as Queen Camilla, in law, in private and in public, and rightfully so. However, if it is the wish of C & C for her to be named Princess Consort instead, shouldn't their wishes be respected by their subjects? Just my humble opinion.
  #427  
Old 09-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear
He most likely is shopping the "Princess Consort" title around while there is still some dissent (hence the wording intended) and will make a final decision upon his ascension. Camilla will almost certainly be referred to as Queen Camilla, in law, in private and in public, and rightfully so. However, if it is the wish of C & C for her to be named Princess Consort instead, shouldn't their wishes be respected by their subjects? Just my humble opinion.
Thank you for your kind and considered post.

Of course it will be up to Charles and Camilla when the time comes, but I really believe that they only suggested the PC title until the public had a chance to get to know Camilla. If Charles and Camilla wish her to be called princess consort and if parliament and the HoL's back them, then that is what she will be known as in public.

I think the point most of us are trying to make is that it will require legislation and I doubt that in the fervour that will IMO be evident at Charles' becoming King, very few will have the courage {ed. - Elspeth} to bring it up and endeaver to push it through.
  #428  
Old 09-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Not Saying, United Kingdom
Posts: 309
Branch Q,

No, legislation will not be required to gazette the queen with the additional title of HRH the Princess Consort and for her to use that title. Letters patent alone will be required.

The Government did not make it clear that legislation would be required for her to be known as the Princess Consort.

The Government made it clear legislation would be required to deny her the status of Queen. Not that she should be known by a lesser title she will bear.

If you assert again that legislation will be required for her to use a lesser title, can you cite some source? A government document... a newspaper report.... anything at all? You were incorrect on the matter of the Kings Consort of England and Scotland and I submit you are also wrong on this one. The Times report cited earlier in the thread supports my contention - legislation only needed to deny her the techincal rank of queen, nothing needed for her to be known as Princess Consort. I am citing evidence, can you cite some, other than an assertion?

Here's my evidence:

Quote:
A Department for Constitutional Affairs spokeswoman confirmed that legislation would be needed for Camilla not to become Queen automatically on Charles's succession.

"I think traditionally that's probably the case because in all similar circumstances in the past in past royal marriages that is what has happened," said the spokeswoman.

"But I think she is not going to be referred to as Queen, she will be referred to as the Princess Consort." Asked about the position of other countries where the Prince of Wales would become head of state on his succession, the spokeswoman replied: "I think you are right in thinking it would require legislation for her not to be Queen."
So that is a government spokeswoman confirming my position that the only legislation needed is to deny her the rank of queen not to style her Princess. What evidence can you adduce to counter that?


Skydragon,

It was an announcement. And I frankly think the British broadsheet press is as good an authority as this website.

You and BranchQ are ignoring the official, government site of the Royal Family listed above. Again, it is quite clear:

Quote:
After the wedding, Mrs Parker Bowles became known as HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. When The Prince of Wales accedes to the throne, she will be known as HRH The Princess Consort.
The Prince of Wales' site confirms this: it is intended, etc.

Nowhere - absolutely nowhere - does anybody say it is intended, or it will happen, that she will be known as Her Majesty the Queen.
  #429  
Old 09-08-2006, 05:56 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
I agree with you Skydragon. Certainly the appropriate decision will be made when the time comes.
  #430  
Old 09-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
The Government made it clear legislation would be required to deny her the status of Queen. Not that she should be known by a lesser title she will bear.
To be known by a lesser title, it will have to be made legal, to become legal, laws would have to be passed, it really is as simple as that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
And I frankly think the British broadsheet press is as good an authority as this website.
Oh dear, even the British do not think that any of the papers are a reliable source, a lot of the posters on this website (nnm) have fully researched the point they are making, to inform, not to earn money with a headline grabber, unlike the press.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
Nowhere - absolutely nowhere - does anybody say it is intended, or it will happen, that she will be known as Her Majesty the Queen.
That is because it is taken as read that she will become Queen Consort. Nowhere - absolutely nowhere - does it state that she definately won't.

We can go on and on about our different interpretations of statements made by BP, but when the time comes it will be up to the King and parliament.
  #431  
Old 09-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Not Saying, United Kingdom
Posts: 309
Skydragon,

Quote:
To be known by a lesser title, it will have to be made legal, to become legal, laws would have to be passed, it really is as simple as that.
It really isn't. She is currently known by a lesser title. A Princess is known by the style of mere 'Lady'. No laws have been passed.

A government spokeswoman from the Dept. of Constitutional Affairs confirms that legislation would only be needed to deny the rank of queen. If the government confirms she can be queen but known as Princess Consort, I genuinely can't see why that is still not being accepted?

The Palace says it and the government department involved says it. Who else is there to consult?

Quote:
That is because it is taken as read that she will become Queen Consort. Nowhere - absolutely nowhere - does it state that she definately won't.
Of course she will become queen consort automatically. We all agree on that. This debate is about whether legislation is needed for her to use the lesser style of PC.

The government spokeswoman in the relevant department says not.

"she will be referred to as the Princess Consort"

That's the government's position.

Look, we're all on the same side as far as wanting her to be styled and titled as queen. But Buck House and the Govt agree no legislation is needed for her to use a lesser title she is granted.
  #432  
Old 09-08-2006, 06:34 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
Frothy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
A Princess is known by the style of mere 'Lady'. No laws have been passed.
If you are referring to Lady Louise, the difference is that her father is an Earl. The daughter of an Earl is accorded the courtesy title of "Lady". No new laws have been passed because, out of courtesy, Louise already has this style. Camilla, not being a royal princess in her own right can only, out of courtesy, take the female version of her husband's royal titles. As Charles will not hold a princely title after he is king, (I think Prince of Wales will be held in abeyance for William?) Camilla can only use a princess title with the consent of Parliament. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  #433  
Old 09-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,762
Also, as for Lady Louise, she is styled as the daughter of an Earl, but she is still legally HRH Princess Louise of Wessex and may use that title when she's 18, unless Letters Patent say she cannot. Her being styled as the daughter of an Earl was at the request of her parents. Her father is not known as HRH The Prince of Wessex, he's known as the Earl of Wessex. That is different than the situation with Charles and Camilla.


Charles is a Prince and he is styled as a Prince. He is also a Duke and Camilla is styled as the wife of a Duke, but can it be considered a lesser title if she is also a Princess since Charles is a Prince? This is just semantics, really. She could have chosen to be known as the Princess of Wales upon her marriage, but she opted to use another one of his titles instead out of respect. Good on her for that, but after reading pages and pages of replies.....I can't see Camilla WILLINGLY being styled as anything less than Queen Consort when the time comes. If Parliament wants to say that it's not an equal marriage and she should be styled as the morgantic wife of the King [a la the Princess de Rethy], that's a severe misstep on their part, I feel.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #434  
Old 09-08-2006, 08:26 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
I think you are wrong, as time passes she will become more and more popular and not just because she is the wife of the Prince of Wales
I doubt that Camilla will get more and more popular. But I'am sure the British public will accept camilla a little bit more.
  #435  
Old 09-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Monterey, United States
Posts: 2,323
I Agree they will grow to accept her (I Have:)).
  #436  
Old 09-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Frothy,

The critical point you are missing is that Camilla is both a princess of the UK (by virtue of her marriage) and Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and Rothesay, etc. She can choose to be known by any of her husband's titles, but this does not change her rank and precedence as a princess of the UK.

Once Charles is King, Camilla shares his rank and become HM The Queen. Unlike the present situation, there is no other style or title she may hold as the wife of the King without raising the question of a morganatic marriage. Therefore, Parliament must act with legislation to clarify her status and grant approval for the wife of the King to hold a lesser rank and title. The King cannot act alone on this matter.

Louise is a princess of the UK by right of being a male-line granddaughter of The Queen. Since her parents also hold titles in the peerage as The Earl and Countess of Wessex, she can be styled as Lady Louise without affecting her legal status as HRH. But she retains the right to style herself HRH Princess Louise in the future because that's what she is.
  #437  
Old 09-09-2006, 12:11 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Its possible for Camilla to announce upon her accession to Queen that she prefers to be called Princess Consort but as Elspeth says, unless Parliament changes legislation, Camilla will have to be referred to as Queen in the legal documents and that will make the whole Princess Consort deal look very silly.

Actually if Charles and Camilla do nothing at all, Camilla will be Queen Consort both in name and in fact because to make her a Queen Consort requires nothing more than the accession of her husband to the throne. To make her Princess Consort will require something more than that - change in legislation to make it an official title change - or an announcement from Charles and Camilla stating that she wishes to be called Princess Consort.

A simple announcement from Clarence House doesn't have the authority of Parliament legislation or the Letters Patent and the British royal website has been known to be wrong about titles before as hard as that is to believe. BTW no letters patent were issued for either Camilla or Lady Louise.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #438  
Old 09-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 589
Thanks for your clarification, Ysbel. If Charles and Camilla do nothing, Camilla will become Queen automatically once Charles succeeds his mother. Charles and Camilla must either let the parliament to change the law or publicly announce that her title will be Princess Consort.

Camilla will intend to use Princess Consort when Charles inherits the throne from his mother. We should read between lines about the later part. Robert Lacey interprated the statement stressing Charles' will to become King rather than Camilla to take the Princess Consort. He is probably right. Clarence House can use such a way to state the fact that Charles will never give up his birthright. "Intention" is such a careful wording which leaves the space for future neogiations about Camilla's status. However we know Camilla will be known as Queen Camilla neverless what has been said before their marriage.
  #439  
Old 09-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Letters patent are not necessary in Camilla's case because she is styled by one of the many titles she enjoys as the wife of Prince Charles. As I stated earlier, she became a princess of the UK upon marriage and her precedence flows from her rank as a Royal Highness, not any peerages she may share.

Lady Louise remains HRH Princess Louise and this could only be removed by new letters patent modifying the 1917 Letters Patent as to who in the royal family is entitled to the style and title of HRH Prince/Princess of the UK. Since The Queen seems reluctant to strip her York granddaughters of their title and rank as Princesses of the UK, it seems likely the issue will remain on the shelf until Charles becomes King.

I would predict, however, that the future royal family will be limited to the children of the sovereign and the children and eldest grandchild of the heir to the throne. Everyone else would simply be styled by their peerages or The Lord/Lady Windsor.
  #440  
Old 09-09-2006, 01:23 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc
Robert Lacey interprated the statement stressing Charles' will to become King rather than Camilla to take the Princess Consort. He is probably right. Clarence House can use such a way to state the fact that Charles will never give up his birthright. "Intention" is such a careful wording which leaves the space for future neogiations about Camilla's status. However we know Camilla will be known as Queen Camilla neverless what has been said before their marriage.
Under the Act of Settlement, Charles is automatically King when The Queen passes away and he cannot give it up. Like Edward VIII in 1936, Parliament would have to pass an Act allowing him to abdicate as The Sovereign.

The "intention" recognizes Parliament's perogative to determine the status and rank of Camilla after Charles is King. If they agree to do so, Parliament and the 16 Crown Commonwealth nations could pass legislation allowing her to reliniquish her title as Queen Consort, paving the way for Charles to issue letters patent creating her HRH The Princess Consort instead.

This is the only way Camilla could be styled Princess Consort once she is legally HM The Queen.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
accession, camilla, coronation, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, styles and titles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 1: January 2003-September 2004 Jacqueline Current Events Archive 170 09-23-2004 04:30 PM
Pavlos And Marie Chantal: Current Events December 2002 - October 2003 Julia Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 76 10-14-2003 09:40 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events diana duchess of cambridge duchess of cornwall eveningwear e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess victoria birthday princess victorias daytime fashion queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen mathildes style queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark stewart succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises