The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Nobility

Branchq, the husband of a queen regnant can be and has been King in this country. King Philip II of Spain was King Consort of England. Lord Darnley married Mary, Queen of Scots and became King Consort of Scotland. It is up to the Soverign. (Practically of course Prl't can object as they did with Albert and the monarch will have to take account of their views).

It is simply not necessary to create new legislation for this matter. The Dept of Constitutional Affairs did not say - at least as I recall - that legislation would be required to make Camilla Princess Consort. It said, and this is different, that legislation would be required to deny her the rank of Queen.

It is only your assertion that she could not be legally queen and yet, with letters patent, be made Princess Consort as well and be known by the lesser title, without legislation.

It has happened time and time again.

The helpful post by Mme Royale gives the position:

Quote:
A Department for Constitutional Affairs spokeswoman confirmed that legislation would be needed for Camilla not to become Queen automatically on Charles's succession.

"I think traditionally that's probably the case because in all similar circumstances in the past in past royal marriages that is what has happened," said the spokeswoman.

"But I think she is not going to be referred to as Queen, she will be referred to as the Princess Consort." Asked about the position of other countries where the Prince of Wales would become head of state on his succession, the spokeswoman replied: "I think you are right in thinking it would require legislation for her not to be Queen."

Exactly what I've been saying over and over. Legislation: needed to take away the rank of queen. Not needed for her to use a lesser title granted her by letters patent.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
With all due respect, you are not aware of where I have resided, how long for, or how frequently I may visit Britain.
It is not a case of how often you visit, but whether you are resident in this country and of course for how long.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

King Philip of Spain and King William of Orange were already King and Sovereign of their native lands. When they married a reigning Queen of England, they retained their rank with the consent of Parliament.

The quote from the Department of Constitutional Affairs is confirmation that Camilla cannot be anything but Queen without legislation being passed. If she is legally Queen Consort, she cannot be styled as a Princess without Parliament and the Crown Commonwealth nations passing an Act clarifying her rank as the wife of the King.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, I suppose they can call her whatever they want. I mean, without legislation to prevent it she'll be HM The Queen Consort, just like Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was before George VI died. But she can call herself whatever she likes - Princess Consort, Bozo the Clown, whatever. However, without this legislation, she'd have to be referred to in official or legal documents as HM Queen Camilla because that's the only title she'd legally hold.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's a game the Government played until Members of Parliament demanded legal clarification of the marriage and her rank and titles. Constitutionally, there is no precedent for the wife of the King being styled a Princess of the UK despite being Queen Consort.

The King would have to issue letters patent creating this title and defining her precedence in the kingdom. Since there is no legal foundation for the letters patent, the Government would have to seek consent from Parliament and the Crown Commonwealth nations before the Crown could act.

What do you think the chances are of getting approval from Parliament and the Commonwealth for the wife of the King being a princess instead of Queen? Next to zero.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
It is not a case of how often you visit, but whether you are resident in this country and of course for how long.
Again, as I have already stated, I have as much of a legal right as you (a reflection of my living circumstances) so please dont insinuate otherwise
Old 09-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
But she can call herself whatever she likes - Princess Consort, Bozo the Clown, whatever.
Thats quite funny, Elspeth

Quote:
without this legislation, she'd have to be referred to in official or legal documents as HM Queen Camilla because that's the only title she'd legally hold
I thought so. You answered a question which I had not as of yet asked.lol. Thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, I suppose they can call her whatever they want. I mean, without legislation to prevent it she'll be HM The Queen Consort, just like Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was before George VI died. But she can call herself whatever she likes - Princess Consort, Bozo the Clown, whatever. However, without this legislation, she'd have to be referred to in official or legal documents as HM Queen Camilla because that's the only title she'd legally hold.
That's so true, Elspeth.

Somehow I don't see Camilla calling herself Bozo though!

Seriously though, I don't think Charles and Camilla will try to pull the 'Queen but known as Princess Consort' routine. They were able to divert public opinion by referring to her as Duchess of Cornwall but now that everyone knows she's actually Princess of Wales, I'm a bit sceptical of the public accepting Camilla as Princess Consort when they know she's actually Queen and as you say, she'd have to be referred to as the Queen on public documents.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-08-2006, 04:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
What do you think the chances are of getting approval from Parliament and the Commonwealth for the wife of the King being a princess instead of Queen? Next to zero.
As I stated before this step would be so bad, so very bad for the public image of king Charles that I don't believe it either.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Nobility

Branch,

This is what I mean when I say people are deluding themselves on TRF.

The chances are not "less than zero". Most unfortunately, they are over 90%.

It has already been announced from Buckingham Palace that the queen will be known as HRH the Princess Consort.

Elspeth,

Surely it's simply a matter of issuing some letters patent, gazetting the queen with the title HRH the Princess Consort, and then having her known by the lesser title for the whole of her life. In which case, almost everybody in the world will think of her as a Princess and her queenly status will be a mere legal footnote.

Edited to add: in terms of "no precedent", it does not matter.

There is no precedent for the Princess of Wales to be known by a lesser title
There is no precedent for a Princess of the UK to be known as a mere daughter of an Earl
There is no precdent for the wife of a royal duke to be styled as if a Princess of the blood
There was no precedent for the husband of a queen regnant to be known as Prince Consort until Parl't insisted the earlier sole precedent of King Consort (in England) would be overturned

Precedent quite frankly is out the window in this wretched mess of a situation. Buckingham Palace has declared what the position will be and I remain confdent that they are the authority on the matter. Without intervention Camilla will be HRH the Princess Consort, a dreadful and most unwelcome first.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Nobility

Branch Q said

Quote:
King Philip of Spain and King William of Orange were already King and Sovereign of their native lands. When they married a reigning Queen of England, they retained their rank with the consent of Parliament.
Please can we not introduce red herrings. William III was not a King Consort but took the throne in his own right and can be left out of the discussion.

Philip of Spain was most emphatically NOT King of Spain when he married Mary I in 1554. Nor was Darnley any kind of a King when upon marriage to Mary I of Scotland he was named "King of Scots" as King Consort. Philip was made King Consort of England by Mary, and as a gift and only upon his marriage, his father gave him some courtesy kingly titles like "King of Jerusalem' and other non-real places, rather like Napoleon's infant son being called 'The King of Rome'.

Quote:
If she is legally Queen Consort, she cannot be styled as a Princess without Parliament and the Crown Commonwealth nations passing an Act clarifying her rank as the wife of the King.
This is absolutely false. The only act needed would be to deny her her rank as queen. If she is gazetted with a secondary title and chooses to use it no other legislation is required whatsoever.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Nobility

Another thread in this section had an interesting article on Camillas from yesterday's times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...346450,00.html

Quote:
“It appears that shortly after King George IV had acceded in 1820, the Cabinet, whilst refusing his request that they introduce special legislation enabling him to divorce Queen Caroline, did suggest that she might agree to use some title other than Queen (Duchess of Cornwall was apparently suggested) and to forgo the legal rights and privileges of a Queen,” Dr Cretney said.
It is not so outrageous that the wife of a King be known by a lesser title nor would Parl't or the public think it so.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
It has already been announced from Buckingham Palace that the queen will be known as HRH the Princess Consort.
Not exactly, Frothy. It has been announced that when Charles becomes King, it is intended that Camilla will prefer to be known as Princess Consort.
That word tells it all. Imho this announcement was made just in case the Duchess of Cornwall will not be accepted by public and to calm the Diana-supporters.
However, we can see that Camilla was very much accepted. In just 1+ year she has become a rightful member (in the eyes of public) and a true asset to the BRF. This is based not only on my opinion (though I do think so) but on numerous surveys, which show that Camilla has really been accepted and enjoys love and support among the British public.

Quote from the official website of the Prince of Wales
Quote:
It is intended that Mrs Parker Bowles should use the title HRH The Princess Consort when The Prince of Wales accedes to The Throne.

Now compare this with the following quote from the same article
Quote:
Mrs Parker Bowles will use the title HRH The Duchess of Cornwall after marriage.
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/news/2005/02.feb/marriage.php

While The Duchess is also Princess of Wales, they announced that she will use the title of the Duchess of Cornwall, which she did.
In case of the Queen/Princess Consort thing, it has been announced that it was intended to be used by the then Queen.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Not exactly.......
...... In case of the Queen/Princess Consort thing, it has been announced that it was intended to be used by the then Queen.
As you say Avalon, it is all in the wording.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Nobility

Avalon,

Yes, of course there is wiggle room. There is even wiggle room to toss out the current breach with precedent and style her normally instead of this nonsense with using a lower title.

But the fact is that she will be known as the Princess Consort unless Charles steps up and says otherwise.

What posters here don't seem to understand is the controversy has all passed for politicians at this point. It's been announced, the breach with precedent is operating with Louise and Camilla, and the sky has not fallen in. Right now the position is: legally queen, known as Princess Consort with an HRH, and the only thing needed for the latter are some letters patent - not a law.

To give her the style and title of Queen may be what seems normal to us royal watchers on this site, but it would be hugely controversial with the British public who are all expecting her to be known and titled differently from her husband as is presently the case.

To change this awful status quo Charles has to step up. Otherwise she's Princess Consort and her queenship is a legal anomaly, little more than a Trivial Pursuit answer. Does anybody outside of TRF think of Louise as a Princess? They do not.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Nobility

I think the public would appreciate Charles bravery if he simply changed the position and said he loves her and that's it.

People respect guts.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Courtier

Who knows the future? Look back and how we can expect Prince Charles married Camilla finally. IMO, Camilla will be accept as Queen Camilla finally. She is devoted to Charles and makes him relaxed and happy and she has tries her best to adapt to the royal life. Now Queen Camilla may sound controversial,but after ten or more years, do you still insisit? Charles is born to be King and his wife is destined to be the Queen. Peopel should learn to appreciate Camilla's strengths which helps to have a better King.
I am not sure about your feeling, but for me HRH Princess Consort will become a laughing stock for British Royal family when Charles succeeds his mother. He is a man and he loves his wife but he cannot protect her to get what she deserves. Kingship should have his diginity and protect his wife to share equal right, I assume, is part of the diginity.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Courtier

She will be accepted as Queen but she will not be beloved I don't think. In any case she will be Queen if Charles becomes King and there's no way around it except the extraordinary act of Parliament to strip her of her rank. And she is HRH The Princess of Wales right now because she is married to HRH The Prince of Wales.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
But the fact is that she will be known as the Princess Consort unless Charles steps up and says otherwise.

What posters here don't seem to understand is the controversy has all passed for politicians at this point. It's been announced,
No it has never been announced, it has been suggested that Camilla will use a lesser title - it will never happen, IMO.

Quote:
To give her the style and title of Queen may be what seems normal to us royal watchers on this site, but it would be hugely controversial with the British public who are all expecting her to be known and titled differently from her husband as is presently the case..
It would be more controversial to the British public if she were denied her rightful title, IMO.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
She will be accepted as Queen but she will not be beloved I don't think. In any case she will be Queen if Charles becomes King and there's no way around it except the extraordinary act of Parliament to strip her of her rank. And she is HRH The Princess of Wales right now because she is married to HRH The Prince of Wales.
I think you are wrong, as time passes she will become more and more popular and not just because she is the wife of the Prince of Wales. She has many more supporters now because of her quite strength and dignity. Her 100% support for her husband and their children, for her silence. I don't wish to start WW3 but his former wife was not beloved by the entire population of the UK, a fact that sometimes gets missed.

Closed Thread

Tags
accession, camilla, coronation, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, styles and titles