King Charles and Queen Camilla

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ysbel said:
I didn't know that Elspeth! But don't the women and the men wear the coronets instead at the coronation?

There's a wonderful picture of the Connaught family with the Crown Prince of Sweden at the coronation of Edward VIII all holding their coronets.

Call me pedantic but when was Edward VIII's coronation?

Do you mean Edward VII's coronation in 1902 or George VI's in 1937?

chrissy57 said:
Call me pedantic but when was Edward VIII's coronation?

OK, if you insist, I'll call you pedantic! :D

You're right though, it was Edward VII's coronation. :)

The Queen Consort is crowned in a simple ceremony shortly after the blessings are finished for the new Sovereign. The new Queen then is first to pay homage to the new King.

branchg said:
The Queen Consort is crowned in a simple ceremony shortly after the blessings are finished for the new Sovereign. The new Queen then is first to pay homage to the new King.

Thanks branchg. What throne will she sit on?

branchg said:

Why is there a seperate ceremony for the Queen Consort? Was there a seperate ceremony for Prince Phillip and do other monarchies do this too?

Also, when the new Queen pays "homage" to the new King, what is she expected to do?

Prince Philip wasn't crowned, so there was no ceremony.

The ceremonies for the King and the Queen are different because the King is the one who's making all the promises about reigning ahd upholding the church and so on. The Queen's coronation is shorter and simpler because those promises don't apply to her.

This Wikipedia article describes the coronation and the homage paid to the monarch. It doesn't say anything about a Queen Consort paying homage to her husband, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_of_the_British_monarch#Anointing_and_crowning

At the Queen's coronation, Prince Charles was too young to pay homage; he gave that homage to the Queen during his investiture as Prince of Wales.

Last edited:
The Queen Mother was crowned right after George VI and then knelt before him to pay homage before the peers did. She sat back on her throne for the formal homage of all the peers. It could be changed though for Charles III.

Thanks Elspeth and branchg. There's still very little out there as to what happens when a Queen consort is crowned.

Does the King crown the Queen or does the archbishop?

The Archbishop does. The Queen is anointed with holy oil and crowned in part of the same Christian service where the King is crowned.

I still think one of the most moving parts of the Queen's coronation was when Prince Philip knelt before his wife and made his homage.

I have a written description of the coronation and they even describe it as one of the most poignant moments of teh coronation.

This is a good site for info about the Queen's coranation. It is from the editors of GREMB. It also has information on the funeral of King George VI.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/coronation/

if you click on conculsion and links it will take you back to the main page which has information about other European enthronments and some more :D

ysbel said:
I didn't know that Elspeth! But don't the women and the men wear the coronets instead at the coronation?

There's a wonderful picture of the Connaught family with the Crown Prince of Sweden at the coronation of Edward VII all holding their coronets.
The women wear both! Tiaras and coronets.

Here is the picture of the Connaught family in 1911 at the Coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

source: copyright has expired
2afd08a2.jpg

You would'nt credit it, but I had a picture of a British royal wearing both coronet and tiara at the same time but for some reason have since deleted it. How very vexing!!

"MII"

What are the different coronets that they wear. Are they different by peerage. I know that they all bring their coronets and at the same time the King is crowned they put there coronets on and yell Long Live the King. What are the different robes and trains that they wear. I know the King walkes in with the parliment train I think and then switches into the crimson train. I heard about the Princess of the Blood robes but what are they. How long are the trains according to peerage and class. Do foreign royalty wear coronets and robes.

Warren said:
The women wear both! Tiaras and coronets.

Here is the picture of the Connaught family in 1911 at the Coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

source: copyright has expired

That's it, Warren! I'd forgotten about the tiaras! It doesn't make sense though, do they put the coronets on top of the tiaras? It seems a bit unwieldy.

ysbel said:
That's it, Warren! I'd forgotten about the tiaras! It doesn't make sense though, do they put the coronets on top of the tiaras? It seems a bit unwieldy.

Its like they place the coronet behind the tiara ysbel. So it would look as if the tiara is circling the front and sides of the coronet.

"MII"

Cool! Thanks Margrethe! It must look awesome!

BTW, doesn't the Crown Prince of Sweden look uncomfortable here? LOL I guess he's had enough of the in-laws. :D

ysbel said:

:D

I wonder what they weigh?

Lovely pics of the Connaught family. It just reminded me how beautiful and elegant Patricia and Margaret were.

Can someone tell me who is who in that picture.
Is the Crown Prince in the picture the current kings grandfather? great-grandfather?
Thanks

Oppie said:
Is the Crown Prince in the picture the current kings grandfather? great-grandfather?
Thanks

Yes, Crown Prince Gustav Adolf was the grandfather of the present King of Sweden, Carl Gustav.

He and Margaretha were also the parents of the late Queen Ingrid of Denmark so he's also the grandfather of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.

Oppie said:
From left to right:

Arthur, Duke of Connaught (son of Queen Victoria)
Princess Patricia of Connaught (Lady Patricia Ramsay)
Duchess of Connaught (neé Princess Louise of Prussia)
Prince Arthur of Connaught (predeceased his father)
Princess Margaret of Connaught (Crown Princess of Sweden)
Crown Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden

Truly fascinating thread. Thank you Beatrix for starting it. Keep posting!
I was also surprised by Charles allegedly expressed wish to downgrade his costume. Coming from such an Edwardian man, I would expect a 'Napoleon', to say the least.

Thanks ysbel (and congratulations for the promotion:D ) and Warren

ysbel said:

BTW, doesn't the Crown Prince of Sweden look uncomfortable here? LOL I guess he's had enough of the in-laws. :D

You're most welcome ysbel :)

"MII"

I dont know if Charles is Edwardian. He is branded that way but his actions prove otherwise. He is wants to change the monarchy to be more like the scandinavian kingdoms. I have always considered him a carefull progesser. Still, I think the monarchy should be closer to the people but the coronation shouldnt be changed. Its alright that he is adding other faiths in the coronation but to minimize the christian part i dont like. It should be just as glorious as Elizabeths. We dont get coronations everyday.

Princejonnhy25 said:
I dont know if Charles is Edwardian. He is branded that way but his actions prove otherwise. He is wants to change the monarchy to be more like the scandinavian kingdoms. I have always considered him a carefull progesser. Still, I think the monarchy should be closer to the people but the coronation shouldnt be changed. quote]
It's confusing, in some ways he is a total traditionalist, in others such as organic farming, very progressive.:) I don't know if you would class Poundbury traditional or progressive!:confused:

I am sure his coronation will be a mixture of both (something new and something old). I totally agree that he should be the Defender of ALL faiths but I like the tradition that marks the cornations, parades, etc. I might be in the minority...but I get a chill watching the Trooping of the Colour, state occasions. As Princejohnny said..you don't get a cornation every day!

Zonk1189 said:
I am sure his coronation will be a mixture of both (something new and something old). I totally agree that he should be the Defender of ALL faiths but I like the tradition that marks the cornations, parades, etc. I might be in the minority...but I get a chill watching the Trooping of the Colour, state occasions. As Princejohnny said..you don't get a cornation every day!

Whenever his coronation is and whatever robes etc he decides upon, I am certain that the majority of the British people will support him 100%:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom