The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 02:09 PM

That really is it so I apologise for snapping Sister Morphine. It just seems to be a conversation that rolls around every week and the same old things are said and it gets frustrating. Not your fault of course.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
That really is it so I apologise for snapping Sister Morphine. It just seems to be a conversation that rolls around every week and the same old things are said and it gets frustrating. Not your fault of course.
It's not a problem. :)

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

That's so nice the mattered was settled in such a peaceful way!

The point Zonk1189 was trying to make, Sister Morphine, was not that you have to read through tons of pages before you actually post. It would be hardly possible to read all the pages in all treads you want to post in.

But sometimes it is really helpful to look back in the previous discussions just to know whether the topic you want to post about, was discussed or not.
In this case, hundreds of posts (and that's not exaggeration) were dedicated to the topic whether Camilla will be known as Queen or Princess Consort.

Sometimes different members would just post the announcement-like post that Camilla will be Princess Consort. After that a few pages were wasted on explaining that it can't be done without Parliament Legislation.

Therefore you might understand the exasperation of the thread regulars at reading another post concerning Camilla's supposed Princess Consort title.

And since not everyone was as thoughtful and tactful as you (thank you for that!), we had quite a few arguments on the topic.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 09-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
That's so nice the matter was settled in such a peaceful way!

The point Zonk1189 was trying to make, Sister Morphine, was not that you have to read through tons of pages before you actually post. It would be hardly possible to read all the pages in all treads you want to post in.

But sometimes it is really helpful to look back in the previous discussions just to know whether the topic you want to post about, was discussed or not.
In this case, hundreds of posts (and that's not exaggeration) were dedicated to the topic whether Camilla will be known as Queen or Princess Consort.

Sometimes different members would just post the announcement-like post that Camilla will be Princess Consort. After that a few pages were wasted on explaining that it can't be done without Parliament Legislation.

Therefore you might understand the exasperation of the thread regulars at reading another post concerning Camilla's supposed Princess Consort title.

And since not everyone was as thoughtful and tactful as you (thank you for that!), we had quite a few arguments on the topic.

Well the last thing I wanted to do was start an argument, and I'm glad I didn't. I might re-read the thread later just to see everyone's viewpoints. That way if the issue comes up again, I'll know what to avoid.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
It has already been announced by Buck House that she will be known as HRH the Princess Consort, and if everybody calls her that, then in reality she'll be that. Whatever legally she might be will be of the least consequence.

If legislation is required to say she will be known as PC, although still legally Q, it will happen.
Agreed. To take on the position of Queen but be known as Princess Consort is no different to her current form of address. Legally, as we all know, she is Princess of Wales but is known as the Duchess of Cornwall.

Personally, not an issue for me. It has been intended that that is the style and title Camilla shall publically use and until the day whereas Parliament, Buckingham Palace or Clarence House state differently, that is what I'm going with and rightly so I think. Who am I, or anyone, to stipulate otherwise. None of us are in a position to say it wont happen and thats the truth of it.

If a legislation can be passed then it will, and if It can't, then it wont but I will be left scratching my head wondering my on earth the royal family were so ill advised on the matter.

Quote:
She won't bow to public pressure because there isn't any. Britain is not living in the past and we won't change over 1000 years of tradition for one woman. Camilla WILL be Queen, she will be "Her Majesty" and I shall take great pride in making sure the whole world knows it.
Whilst finding you quite humerous on the whole BeatrixFan, you must take into consideration the possibilities of Camilla actually being known as HRH the Princess Consort just the same as I must take into consideration the likeliness of her becoming HM the Queen.

Camilla may not be known as Queen, she may not be Her Majesty and I should hope that you would respect the office of Princess Consort as much as you would if she were Queen. It is afterall your beloved Camilla, you royal penpal you

I think it a real defining title to be honest. Something unique for a unique woman.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:04 PM

To me Camilla will never be Princess Consort just as now to me she is Princess of Wales. To title her as Princess Consort would be an insult to her, to history and the Crown. When Charles becomes King - at that very moment, immediately, Camilla becomes Queen. She will be my Queen and I'll be damned if I ever call her anything less than that. Any such title will be forced on her by liberal and ignorant MPs, not the British people. I certainly won't respect the office of Princess Consort because to me, it simply won't exist. She will be my Queen. Her Majesty. And that is that.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon

As opposed to the Queen title?

Again, we know what she shall be legally but it is what she shall be known officially that shall define her place and I, like many of you, are very interested to see how it all turns out.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
To me Camilla will never be Princess Consort just as now to me she is Princess of Wales. To title her as Princess Consort would be an insult to her, to history and the Crown. When Charles becomes King - at that very moment, immediately, Camilla becomes Queen. She will be my Queen and I'll be damned if I ever call her anything less than that. Any such title will be forced on her by liberal and ignorant MPs, not the British people. I certainly won't respect the office of Princess Consort because to me, it simply won't exist. She will be my Queen. Her Majesty. And that is that.
An insult? I really dont see how you can say that but fair enough.

And as for the rest, if thats your prerogative (not respecting the suggested office) then thats (to me) a shame but again, you will of course do what you feel strongly about just as I shall welcome the title Princess Consort
Old 09-04-2006, 06:12 PM

Why welcome something that is just a slap in the face to Camilla and a total insult to history? It is an insult. It basically says to the memory of all our past Monarchs, 'This is what you worked for and we're going to change it for a truly pathetic reason'. You really want that to happen?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

This may be a stupid question, and if it is....feel free to let me know. I'm also not sure where this would best be suited, so maybe someone can move it to an appropriate venue. I also apologize if this has been asked in advance.

Why can't the husband of a Queen Regnant be called the "King Consort" if the wife of a King Regnant is called the "Queen Consort? When I see King, I think of a man holding a title by birthright, much like Charles will. When I see King Consort, I see a man who married a Queen Regnant. The word "consort" would indicate that he is the husband of a Queen.

Is there some reason why there aren't equal titles for men and women when it comes to this? I think in a 21st Century world, there should a little equality when it comes to titles.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:16 PM

Basically, the title of "King" conveys higher power. It would seem as if the King had a higher station than the Queen who was reigning and that would be misleading. A Prince Consort has the same rank and precedence as a King Consort would have so it's a matter of words really. Also, the "Consort" would probably be dropped and it would cause confusion so the present way seems to work the whole world over.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Basically, the title of "King" conveys higher power. It would seem as if the King had a higher station than the Queen who was reigning and that would be misleading. A Prince Consort has the same rank and precedence as a King Consort would have so it's a matter of words really. Also, the "Consort" would probably be dropped and it would cause confusion so the present way seems to work the whole world over.

Alright, thank you.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why welcome something that is just a slap in the face to Camilla and a total insult to history? It is an insult. It basically says to the memory of all our past Monarchs, 'This is what you worked for and we're going to change it for a truly pathetic reason'. You really want that to happen?
I welcome it because I find it appropriate and fitting for the Duchess. What you perceive to be a slap in the face and as a dishonour to english history, I see as something truly unique and defining within and for the British establishment.

To you and many others it will be an insult and I am not disputing the way you should or should not feel but for many others, like myself, it will not be an insult and I would like to think you could respect the rights of those who support the use of such a title just as I would support those who are in favour of the Duchess being officially known as Queen. Again, difference of opinion is what makes this board great.

I dont believe it "sends" that message to our past sovereigns. Differen times, and it is within those times that various things occur and shape the circusmtances people find themselves in.

So, do I really want what to happen? You see, the way you perceive it is not the way I perceive it so the question you put to me is quite negated.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:27 PM

I don't see it as unique at all. If she wants a unique title, why can't they give her a higher title with something else added? Why demote her? Why must she be constantly put down and demoted?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't see it as unique at all. If she wants a unique title, why can't they give her a higher title with something else added? Why demote her? Why must she be constantly put down and demoted?
We could be here all day.lol. and I really have to move my behind

Something else added to equal the rank of a Queen Consort, sure, I would support that if those involved thought it appropriate
Old 09-04-2006, 06:39 PM

Or we could just accept that she'll be Queen Consort instead of finding new pointless euphemisms.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent

In the absence of the British Mods I would like to ask to please cool off and play nice!

Personal comments should go by PM and not publicly at the board.

Thank you,
Anna_R
Royal Forums Moderator
Old 09-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
What I am trying to point out is that Charles' attitude towards religion, and the fact of his marriage to a woman he could not marry in a C of E ceremony, has made it extremely probable that there will be legislation disestablishing the monarch as head of the C of E.
The legislation would have to disestablish the Church altogether, as far as I know. As long as the CofE is the Established Church and the monarch is Head of State, that creates a connection.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_R
In the absence of the British Mods I would like to ask to please cool off and play nice!

Personal comments should go by PM and not publicly at the board.

Thank you,
Anna_R
Royal Forums Moderator
Thank you, Anna. One of the British mods is now in the building and wondering why in the world so many of our threads are sounding so bad-tempered this evening. Would everybody please go and have a cup of tea, take a deep breath, and stop all this sniping?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Nobility

Avalon,

Quote:

Unless I am mistaken, the only legislation that would be required would be for the Princess Consort not to be queen.

For her to legally be Queen but to be known as Princess Consort would not require legislation, I think?

Does somebody know differently?

In any case, there is nothing "supposed" about the Duchess of Cornwall's future as Princess Consort. Buckingham Palace has announced it. They are the authority.

After all, have we not posted ad infinitum that Lady Louise is legally, technically, HRH Princess Louise of Wessex - and yet no legislation has been passed, she is simply known as Lady Louise (including on TRF thread headings). It is, I believe, an exact paralell.

Closed Thread

Tags
accession, camilla, coronation, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, styles and titles