Investiture as Prince of Wales: July 1, 1969

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But out of curiosity will the tradition of the inauguration ceremony of the Prince of Wales be retained when William becomes Prince of Wales?

The tradition of investing the heir apparent of the English, and subsequently the British, monarch with the title of "Prince of Wales" began in 1301, when King Edward I of England, having completed the conquest of Wales, gave the title to his heir apparent, Prince Edward (later King Edward II of England). Source: Wikipedia

But out of curiosity will the tradition of the inauguration ceremony of the Prince of Wales be retained when William becomes Prince of Wales?

The tradition of investing the heir apparent of the English, and subsequently the British, monarch with the title of "Prince of Wales" began in 1301, when King Edward I of England, having completed the conquest of Wales, gave the title to his heir apparent, Prince Edward (later King Edward II of England). Source: Wikipedia

Yes, I think there will be a formal investiture perhaps a year or two after Charles’s Coronation. Charles have to create William Prince of Wales first though.

There is no tradition of a ceremony such as Charles had at Carnarvon. Only two Princes of Wales have had such a ceremony - Edward VIII and Charles. As they were very young when they became Princes of Wales it was felt that it would be a good idea - especially as it gave them the chance to swear allegiance to their monarch. William will be able to do that at the Coronation.

Creating the heir apparent as Prince of Wales has been traditional - although the percentage of those Princes of Wales to actually become King is quite interesting:

Those who became King:

Edward II
Richard II
Henry V
Edward V
Henry VIII
Edward VI
Charles I
Charles II
George II
George III
George IV
Edward VII
George V
Edward VIII

The following have not made it that far:

The Black Prince
Edward of Westminster
Richard of York (2nd Duke of YorK)
Edward of Middleham
Arthur Tudor
Henry Frederick Stuart
James Frederick Edward Stuart
Frederick Louis

That results in 36% of those created as Prince of Wales not becoming King.

Being created Prince of Wales is a simple process - Letters Patent are issued. Once that is done they are Prince of Wales and no further ceremony is needed.

George V decided to have a ceremony in Wales. He was very big on promoting the visuals for the Empire - remember he was behind the Durbar in India and to be there in person.

The Queen felt, that having created her son Prince of Wales at such a young age it would be appropriate to present him to the people of Wales.

Whether Charles feels there will be any such need, or desire, for an man who will be around 40 when he is created Prince of Wales (assuming he is even given that title - it isn't automatic) we will have to wait and see.

The Welsh Assembly will have a huge say, I suspect, in even whether there will be another Prince of Wales and certainly whether there would be a ceremony.

We have to remember that Charles will be close to 80 if not already 80 when the situation arises and asking the country to pay for a coronation and then an investiture knowing they may very well have another coronation within a decade or so may be over the top when the ceremony in Wales is not a tradition with only two previous ceremonies taking place.

I think it’s highly likely there will be a formal investiture ceremony for William. Wales will be getting a new Prince and Princess of Wales and Wales family all together. That family is widely popular and cute. I think the Welsh people will welcome them with open arms.

I'm on the fence about there being a formal investiture ceremony. On one hand, what Iluvbertie says seems logical because of the expenditures staging a ceremony similar to Charles' and the probable short length of time William may actually be Prince of Wales.

On the other hand, William and Kate have ties to Wales and the people of Wales just may want to throw a grand investiture and really claim the Wales family as their own.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the time comes. ?

I don't think there will be. Will and Kate have ties to Wales but they are not Welsih. there may be feeling against having a formal ceremony to makr their becoming P and Princess of wales.. who knows. And I don't think it is at all necessary

:previous: I agree. Even in 1969 there were critics who believed Charles's ceremony was unnecessary and over-the-top. I suspect William will probably be made Prince of Wales sometime before Charles's coronation, with formal visits to Wales, but no investiture ceremony. Similar to what happened when the future George V became Prince at the age of 36.

From Warren's Collection...

"A Monarch for the Moon Age"
Author: N/A
Source: Newsweek
Published: July 14, 1969

"Investiture of Prince Charles"
Author: N/A
Source: The Australian Women's Weekly
Published: July 16, 1969

"A moment of history between mother and son"
Author: Lynne Bell
Source: The Australian Women's Weekly
Published: July 21, 1969

Amazing pictures!!! Thank you for posting. I am struck by how much Pr. Charlotte looks like little Sarah Chatto.

Warrens wonderful collection amazing!

50th anniversary of investiture as Prince of Wales

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II extended an invitation to Uncle Edward (Edward VIII) to attend the investure of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales. The inevitable press speculation which even the Duke's presence would arouse, would Edward being there damage Charles' big day? Edward did not feel that he should accept. He did appreciate Elizabeth's nice thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom