The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-21-2016, 05:32 AM
Majesty

Prince Charles's goddaughter stockpiles his unwanted Christmas and birthday presents in her cellar

Old 12-24-2016, 06:01 AM
Courtier

From the pic included, all appears to be from the same "set" for want of a better word. If so, and building up a set piece, rather a thoughtful (if misplaced and not appreciated by a youngster) token by Charles.

Unusual thing to do, making a public display, along with her fairly negative thoughts on the gifts and also including the personal notes.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Very good PR for Charles. Who turns out to be wise and generous beyond the years of his god children.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:25 AM
Majesty

Story behind striking 1981 image of Prince Charles in Cirencester Park revealed (From Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard)
Old 12-25-2016, 05:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
From the pic included, all appears to be from the same "set" for want of a better word. If so, and building up a set piece, rather a thoughtful (if misplaced and not appreciated by a youngster) token by Charles.

Unusual thing to do, making a public display, along with her fairly negative thoughts on the gifts and also including the personal notes.
Thats right, I thought this was just an ungrateful god daughter. If she did not appreciate the presents then, one would have hoped that by this stage of her life she might do.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, he was utterly charming. And the tweet from Clarence House was just a bit self deprecating. Charles showing his sense of humor is something that's grown and that I admire over the last couple of decades.

https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/st...13035282051073

BBC Radio 4 - Funny in Four, The Prince of Wales' 50th anniversary message to Just A Minute

I guessed at where to put this - so Mods, do move at will!
Old 01-01-2017, 01:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall’s official Christmas card:
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/st...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Prince Charles and Camilla Unveil Their Christmas Card
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I love this. Such a happy picture and so colourful.

These two are terrific.
Agree. Great picture. When Camilla smiles she lights up everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Very good PR for Charles. Who turns out to be wise and generous beyond the years of his god children.
Well put, AdmirerUS. I find the India Hicks article incomprehensible.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Why I don't know many eight year olds who would get a gravy boat for Christmas and be excited. Or even understand why. Heck I don't know many 28 year olds who would be excited by a gravy dish though they at least would understand the value.

She is comparing childhoods. Her child wants a robotic dog. At that age she wanted a poster but instead got a gravy boat. We all have those bizarre relatives who give you gifts that make you think you either opened the wrong gift or your loved one is temporarily insane. Charles just more expensive

She kept them so obviously meant something. But if course an eight year old would not treasure it like an adult.

Hopefully if he boys Charlotte one, it has a singing tea pot and perhaps Disney theme, something she can play with. At her age a toy tea pot is fun.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Why I don't know many eight year olds who would get a gravy boat for Christmas and be excited. Or even understand why. Heck I don't know many 28 year olds who would be excited by a gravy dish though they at least would understand the value.
I think it is the public airing of the gifts received over the years with (her obviously still at 49! ) negative regard of them is what surprises people here, not what an eight year old thought of receiving a gravy boat among her many gifts.

On the flip side she also displays the very personal notes that came with them. Of course we have seen many instances of that from people, just not from such close family members to such an extent.

I wonder if she is putting feelers out there for an offer??!
Old 01-01-2017, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

This is old news. I remember years ago hearing somewhere that Charles famously gifts god children with pattern china. I'm sure he is not the only wealthy brit godparent to do so. It eliminates playing favorites, doubtless pleases the parents and takes care of any annoying questions about what they might like, or avoiding embarrassing choices.
In context all she said was that they seemed odd gifts when she was young, but there was value after all. I read it as her admitting that her godparent was wise beyond her years. Hardly a slight to Charles and no great secret.
Do male children also get china? That's what I have always wondered.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:11 AM
Courtier

Is it old news? The article is dated Dec. 21st 2016. Has it been reported before?
Old 01-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I also kind of remember reading something about this years ago. Actually, when you think about it, for a little girl, gifting a piece of fine china in the same pattern each year builds up to be a wonderfully full set of china for her hope chest (do they even have hope chests anymore? I never had one).

To a eight year old though, a gravy boat isn't as much as a toy boat you can play in the bathtub with and go on grand sea voyages. The boat should come complete with great white sharks and blue whales.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Courtier

And all eight year olds would agree!

But curious, is the item on India Hicks revealing her godfather's gifts and her thoughts there of, an old article, or just the subject of Charles gifts to his (probably many) godchildren?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
And all eight year olds would agree!

But curious, is the item on India Hicks revealing her godfather's gifts and her thoughts there of, an old article, or just the subject of Charles gifts to his (probably many) godchildren?
I think the practice was generally reported on over the years, and certainly India was mentioned as one of the godchildren. But her revelation of the gift notes and specific comments are new. And they did not come to light by India saying "here is info about Uncle Charles" but she was speaking more to "here are my reflections on the making of my life, to date." At least that's how I read it.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Courtier

Ok, thanks AdmirerUs! From previous posts I did think it might have been an old story revived!
Old 01-15-2017, 02:51 AM
Majesty

Prince Charles writes Ladybird book about global warming | Daily Mail Online
Old 02-04-2017, 04:11 AM
Majesty

Charles's gardening angel | Daily Mail Online
Old 02-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Aristocracy

She certainly did a beautiful job at Highgrove...and every where else. There is a wonderful book on the garden at Highgrove. I cant remember the author, and it's downstairs in my office, which I cant get to at the moment, having smashed up my leg.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:03 AM
Majesty

Prince Charles has meeting to discuss Duchy of Lancaster | Daily Mail Online