General News for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall 1: Feb 2015-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this has been posted elsewhere, (several months in and still finding my way around!), please direct to the correct thread, I found this more amusing than remarkable, though annoyed on reading about the event a few days ago.

But as it relates to a tragedy, not so funny .....

A message on a wreath left by Prince Charles on the 50th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster has been returned.

Aberfan: Prince Charles' message anonymously returned - BBC News

Last edited:

Well, I realize we are meant to be scandalized by this, but when I was a young professional first out on my own, I aspired to a lot of this description:
[FONT=&quot]She was terrific fun, immensely popular, and although she wasn’t a beauty like Mary Gaye, she was attractive and sexy,’ recalled Burke later. ‘She was never tongue-tied or shy, she always had something amusing to say

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I also had stories I dined out on. My maternal relative had not been the King's mistress, but one of my uncles had been a professional baseball pitcher. He was way more interesting than my accountant uncle. ;)[/FONT]

Wow she was scandalous a real thought(sarcastic smile)!

Yes, but not as we know them. Andrew was only 7-10 during his brother college days. If he had become heir to the throne, his life would have been very different. His education and choices. He likely would never have married Sarah , his bride would have been closely watched. Even if Beatrice existed, she would have been raised a future queen. Her and Eugenie would be very different than they are now. Definitely one of those what ifs you never know how it would turn out.

Nice seeing Charles and his wife still his old school :flowers:

:previous: I love this. Such a happy picture and so colourful.

These two are terrific

The Christmas card is indeed very cheery. A nice choice for a cold season!

As for Prince Charles and Sue Townsend perhaps having a fling, well, the Charles and Diana situation was so bad by that stage that the two of them could scarcely be in the same county let alone the same house, so I can't say I'm surprised.

It's rather sad that there was a disagreement over shutting the shop at Highgrove, however. Could they not have compromised and closed the premises for three days or so? It all seems a bit petty.

I like Sally Bedell Smith's biographies. I wonder when it is due out? I'd buy a copy for sure.

:previous: great that its got such a response :flowers:

They could've chosen a better Christmas card, IMO. Nothing festive about it.

Well, for the affair, everybody was a rolling stone in the 90's

They could've chosen a better Christmas card, IMO. Nothing festive about it.

I don’t think they go for festive, as in winter holidays themed. I remember one year they had a photo from Ascot which is in June. Then again, one year they had a photo of them skiing, so who knows how and why they pick the photos. If I remember correctly, the Queen and Prince Philip also have photos from various events during the year and sometimes they look really summery.

I don’t think they go for festive, as in winter holidays themed. I remember one year they had a photo from Ascot which is in June. Then again, one year they had a photo of them skiing, so who knows how and why they pick the photos. If I remember correctly, the Queen and Prince Philip also have photos from various events during the year and sometimes they look really summery.

Right, they need to pick better cards. Perhaps they should start creating family photos. The Prince of Wales has a beautiful family of his own, but don't really show it in portraits. A nice Wales and Cambridge photo would be brilliant. A photo of them in the gardens of Highgrove or Birkhall.

The British royals need to be more creative with these things. They have the best resources at the finger tips to come up with a decent Christmas card. Using a random photo from a trip shows Charles isn't really into these cards.

What I like about the choices of photos for the cards is that they're reflective of a time or place that most likely meant something to the two of them during the year. They don't use a stiff, posed for photo but probably have a good laugh remembering the occasions as they flip through photos taken that they have.

I get the feeling that Charles and Camilla are happy with each other no matter where they are and it shows in the pictures they pick for their annual holiday cards.

A place in time snapshot of the year that was.

Nothing wrong with that!

Obviously a visit they have happy memories of. So, as it always has been with Charles and Camilla, off with (the heads of!) the staged signature photograph and in with one of their year in review - so to speak - favourites!

And sure why not! It's Christmas! :lol:

Christmas is in summer in some places ;)

I like it. They both look very good, the group is very interesting, and the headdresses have red and green in them.

I also found it to be a pretty interesting read. I can understand where Fellowes is coming from with his concern for Max Gate and its historic background but from what I know of Charles, his stance on what developments of properties should be like and his love and admiration for historical architecture, I would really rather doubt that any idea that he has in mind for this housing development would be an eyesore.

I would also be leaning to believe that in this regard, Charles would take very much into consideration the cons against building where the development is now proposed to be built.

Charles never does anything haphazardly and he's not doing any of this for material gain for himself. It will be an interesting story to follow and see what happens next.

I can definitely understand the concern. Both girls max gate and the environment. A hundred new houses suddenly in the area is a lot but I assume the planning commission will consider environmental impact before approval.

Charles had an eye for restoration and preserving what is there. But this is new development. Though I will keep hope his arts and crafts style are pleasing. Though a hundred houses, you get the feeling they will be cookie cutter no matter the style. Which takes a bit away from the more unique styles you expect from the country.

But will give Charles benefit of the doubt for now.

From the pic included, all appears to be from the same "set" for want of a better word. If so, and building up a set piece, rather a thoughtful (if misplaced and not appreciated by a youngster) token by Charles.

Unusual thing to do, making a public display, along with her fairly negative thoughts on the gifts and also including the personal notes.

Very good PR for Charles. Who turns out to be wise and generous beyond the years of his god children. :)

From the pic included, all appears to be from the same "set" for want of a better word. If so, and building up a set piece, rather a thoughtful (if misplaced and not appreciated by a youngster) token by Charles.

Unusual thing to do, making a public display, along with her fairly negative thoughts on the gifts and also including the personal notes.

Thats right, I thought this was just an ungrateful god daughter. If she did not appreciate the presents then, one would have hoped that by this stage of her life she might do.

:previous: I love this. Such a happy picture and so colourful.

These two are terrific.

Agree. :flowers: Great picture. When Camilla smiles she lights up everything.

Very good PR for Charles. Who turns out to be wise and generous beyond the years of his god children. :)

Well put, AdmirerUS. :cool: I find the India Hicks article incomprehensible. :sad:

Why:ermm: I don't know many eight year olds who would get a gravy boat for Christmas and be excited. Or even understand why. Heck I don't know many 28 year olds who would be excited by a gravy dish though they at least would understand the value.

She is comparing childhoods. Her child wants a robotic dog. At that age she wanted a poster but instead got a gravy boat. We all have those bizarre relatives who give you gifts that make you think you either opened the wrong gift or your loved one is temporarily insane. Charles just more expensive

She kept them so obviously meant something. But if course an eight year old would not treasure it like an adult.

Hopefully if he boys Charlotte one, it has a singing tea pot and perhaps Disney theme, something she can play with. At her age a toy tea pot is fun.

Last edited:
Why:ermm: I don't know many eight year olds who would get a gravy boat for Christmas and be excited. Or even understand why. Heck I don't know many 28 year olds who would be excited by a gravy dish though they at least would understand the value.

I think it is the public airing of the gifts received over the years with (her obviously still at 49! :lol: ) negative regard of them is what surprises people here, not what an eight year old thought of receiving a gravy boat among her many gifts.

On the flip side she also displays the very personal notes that came with them. Of course we have seen many instances of that from people, just not from such close family members to such an extent.

I wonder if she is putting feelers out there for an offer??! :lol::whistling:

This is old news. I remember years ago hearing somewhere that Charles famously gifts god children with pattern china. I'm sure he is not the only wealthy brit godparent to do so. It eliminates playing favorites, doubtless pleases the parents and takes care of any annoying questions about what they might like, or avoiding embarrassing choices.
In context all she said was that they seemed odd gifts when she was young, but there was value after all. I read it as her admitting that her godparent was wise beyond her years. Hardly a slight to Charles and no great secret.
Do male children also get china? That's what I have always wondered.

Is it old news? The article is dated Dec. 21st 2016. Has it been reported before? :ermm:

I also kind of remember reading something about this years ago. Actually, when you think about it, for a little girl, gifting a piece of fine china in the same pattern each year builds up to be a wonderfully full set of china for her hope chest (do they even have hope chests anymore? I never had one).

To a eight year old though, a gravy boat isn't as much as a toy boat you can play in the bathtub with and go on grand sea voyages. The boat should come complete with great white sharks and blue whales. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom