General News for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall 1: Feb 2015-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there’s a debate, it’s because those who say it’s only as serious as the regular flu are willfully blind, and in the case of Americans, stupid - these people think there’s a government conspiracy to restrict their freedoms. There is no real debate because reasonable people understand how serious this new strain is- because it IS new, and there’s no vaccine for it.

Plenty of young people are getting sick ...in my home state of NY, 54% of those infected are between 18 and 49.

I’ll be blunt - I’m tired of people (not here) whining that Charles shouldn’t have gotten the test because he’s got mike symptoms and he’s privileged. He’s 71 years old - this is very serious.
Although vaccination is very important, it's not unusual when the vaccine for the flu does not match the prevailing strains. The difference is that there are effective treatment protocols for people who become seriously ill with a seasonal flu. The issue for Prince Charles, and everyone else who gets seriously ill, is that the current treatment options don't seem to be effective for cases of COVID-19 - although most people do recover.

If we can figure out an effective treatment (and I think we will), then we can answer the question of whether COVID-19 is more serious than other coronaviruses.

Wishing him a speedy recovery & very pleased to hear that somebody in their 70s can have a mild version. Does anybody know how he met the NHS criteria for testing in Scotland? I understood you couldn't get tested unless you were so ill you were in hospital or had been in contact with a confirmed case?

Thanks for the responses suggesting various reasons. I don't have a problem with him being tested & my main interest in knowing the criteria in Scotland is that I have family there but it's not clear who qualifies for testing.

I am sure this will create more discussion but of course the moment he felt funny he was giving one of the hard to get tests. He is the heir. People will have thoughts about that especially as front line workers have been denied but it is what it is.

Not sure about the testing criteria in the UK, but here any confirmed cases have their movement and contacts checked and as Charles is unwell I guess his symptoms checked the required boxes and he was checked. Regrettably he has the virus.

I can't see him rushing off to hospital and elbowing his way to the front of the line with a sniffle at this time. While many would make a case for preferential treatment, everything Charles stands for and lives by says he wouldn't accept it . I see him as the soldier on type that would have to be forced to go to a hospital or clinic in a time of international crisis.

I just hope this stays a mild case

I'm listening to a radio show and have read some articles.....I can't say that it's impossible that Charles' symptoms are worse (not necessarily bad, just worse than "mild" than have been reported because I agree with some of the commentators that he is not one to undergo testing or medical treatment unless he really needs it)

A reminder that we have the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47294&goto=newpost.html thread to discuss the current crisis generally - including observations about peoples' behaviour relating to it. We may discuss Charles' exposure to the virus and his current state of health (what we know of it and without speculation, rumour or gossip) here for the time being.

Wishing him a speedy recovery & very pleased to hear that somebody in their 70s can have a mild version. Does anybody know how he met the NHS criteria for testing in Scotland? I understood you couldn't get tested unless you were so ill you were in hospital or had been in contact with a confirmed case?

He is meeting so many people who you cannot trust not to try to get as close to him as possible, so apart from the fact that any country does good on checking the health of their future Head of State and thus should test, there IMHO was another good reason to test him when he got the symptoms. I hope he gets well soon, I don't want to see a king William so soon!

I heard the news about Prince Charles this morning. Hopefully he will get better very soon!

I hope so. There really is no excuse for irresponsible behaviour that can potentially harm themselves or others.

I must admit I had quite a shock hearing this news.

Why? Charles goes out a lot, works hard, meets loads of people and comes close to them.. its harldy surprising that he might catch it.

Hoping and praying the best for this world.

So, for the people who are raging that Charles only had “mild” symptoms....mild is relative, and for a 71 year old man - even one in as good health as Charles- it’s worrisome.

However, palace sources did confirm to The Daily Beast that Charles had been displaying “key symptoms” of COVID-19 and that this is what had “given the hint” that he should be tested. The key symptoms of COVID-19 are cough, fever, and shortness of breath.

Junor said there were reasons to be optimistic that Charles would cope well with the infection, saying: “He is a strong, fit man. He is very diet conscious, he exercises, he is slim, he doesn’t have asthma, and has never smoked. He doesn’t really have any health issues apart from a bad back from several polo falls.”

She added: “Of course, he will be having top-notch medical care, but still, it is very scary.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/source-prince-charles-has-a-bad-cough-as-he-battles-the-coronavirus

I think at this point anything that doesn't require hospitalization might be considered mild. His age and the number of people he meets (including people who have been confirmed with the virus that he met recently, such as Prince Albert) makes him a candidate for being tested,

Why? Charles goes out a lot, works hard, meets loads of people and comes close to them.. its harldy surprising that he might catch it.

I was not using the word shocked in the sense of being surprised. I meant I was dismayed, disquieted, aghast, appalled etc.

I'm not sure why you think I was surprised.

As I see it, Charles (who most certainly has kept his finger on the pulse of this virus) came in contact with a person confirmed to be positive for this virus, started to exhibit some symptoms and promptly did something about it. He was tested and went into isolation at Birkhall in Scotland.

This is a man that is actively being part of the solution rather than being part of the problem. We all should live by his example. ?

Yikes; I hope Charles gets well soon. It's good to hear that he is only showing mild symptoms but given his age, he still needs to be very careful - though I'm sure he has the best advice and care at his hands.

As I see it, Charles (who most certainly has kept his finger on the pulse of this virus) came in contact with a person confirmed to be positive for this virus, started to exhibit some symptoms and promptly did something about it. He was tested and went into isolation at Birkhall in Scotland.

This is a man that is actively being part of the solution rather than being part of the problem. We all should live by his example. ?

Agreed...and also, with the below (aside from the fact that he’s in that vulnerable bracket)

As the longest serving heir apparent in history, the 71-year-old royal has grown used to deputising for his mother - taking an increasingly prominent role in recent years as the 93-year-old sovereign fast approaches her centenary.

With the Duke of York now out of royal circulation - and the Duke of Sussex just days away from stepping down as a senior royal, there has never been more pressure on the heir to the throne to support his mother after last year’s annus horribilis royal redux.

Which perhaps goes a long way to explaining why, as a future king, Charles could take no chances when he first started suffering from symptoms of coronavirus at Highgrove over the weekend.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...rles-could-take-no-chances-started-suffering/

This makes me happy....(I believe Sean and Harry are friends). Any rifts seem silly at this point; I’m glad that these three are truly a family again - as it should be.

U.K. media correspondent Neil Sean told Fox News that Charles’ youngest son, Prince Harry, who is currently in Canada with his wife Meghan Markle and their son Archie, “wanted to return straight away” but was told by the patriarch “not to travel,” assuring the 35-year-old “he will be fine.”

“Harry and [his older brother] William are now on speaking terms again and this has healed the rift that was ongoing,” a palace insider told Sean. “Both brothers have linked with up to Charles via video and joked and made him feel happy that they were together again.”

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/prince-charles-coronavirus-diagnosis-prince-harry

Last edited:
Somehow, I am not surprised, considering Prince Charles's recent contact with Prince Albert, and then the sudden retreat up to Scotland. I only hope that Prince Charles and Camilla have been isolated from each other, and that what now appears to be a "mild" case, does not become less mild as time goes on. Unfortunately, "mild" for COVID-19 does not necessarily mean that it's barely noticeable, or that it cannot turn dangerous very quickly, usually somewhere around day 10-14.

Charles didn't 'suddenly' retreat to Scotland. Charles and Camilla go to Scotland EVERY year at this time for Easter. They usually carry out a number of engagements while up there (although this year they won't). Like the Queen moving to Windsor a week early, Charles and Camilla went to Scotland a week ahead of schedule and that is all.

We do not know what underlying conditions, if any, Charles has. He has had swollen red extremities for a long time now and that could be a result of a serious condition. He is also over 70 so in a high risk group.

Camilla has been a serious smoker so presumably has some lung issues. It could be devastating for her to get it as well.

He has had swollen red extremities for 71 years, 4 months and 12 days ... and counting. He was born with swollen fingers (as noted by Queen Mary when she first saw him when he was a couple of days old).

Rob Jobson, on Channel 7 this morning, said Charles has some lung issues ... although I don't ever remember him cancelling any engagements due to flu or cold (or course he may have done so and my aging memory has forgotten).

Thanks for the responses suggesting various reasons. I don't have a problem with him being tested & my main interest in knowing the criteria in Scotland is that I have family there but it's not clear who qualifies for testing.

The criteria is:

1. severe symptoms

2. underlying health issues

3. coming into contact with a confirmed case.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has had swollen red extremities for 71 years, 4 months and 12 days ... and counting. He was born with swollen fingers (as noted by Queen Mary when she first saw him when he was a couple of days old).

Rob Jobson, on Channel 7 this morning, said Charles has some lung issues ... although I don't ever remember him cancelling any engagements due to flu or cold (or course he may have done so and my aging memory has forgotten).

What?! He's got lung issues? I thought he was so healthy - so now even a "mild" case isn't really mild.

What?! He's got lung issues? I thought he was so healthy - so now even a "mild" case isn't really mild.

I had never heard of the 'lung issues' until Rob Jobson said that this morning. Either Jobson made a mistake and confused Charles with Camilla - who was a smoker - or the public haven't been told about a health issue with Charles.

He is reportedly very healthy - and hasn't skipped engagements other than for injuries but not illnesses.

I had never heard of the 'lung issues' until Rob Jobson said that this morning. Either Jobson made a mistake and confused Charles with Camilla - who was a smoker - or the public haven't been told about a health issue with Charles.

He is reportedly very healthy - and hasn't skipped engagements other than for injuries but not illnesses.

No, I've never heard of his having lung issues. He has rarely if ever been ill during his life.

Wow I wasn't expecting this news. But then again after Charles was at an event with Albert before he tested positive, we cant be too surprised. But he does seem healthy for his age so he can hopefully beat this. Relief to know that it seems pretty mild.

This is all the more reason I emphasize 'royals need to be present but remotely'. Right not there is too much risk for them to attend meetings and such interacting with people. Especially visiting workers in the medical field. Not only are they at risk, but even if they don't get sick, they can be carriers. How many members of his family has he been around in the last weeks including his sons?

Well good he is at Birkhall. While they do some engagements while up there usually, Birkhall is their retreat home. Where they go to relax (not a working home like High grove).Hopefully he will recover well.

Camilla needs to be cautious. Charles never seems to have been ill other then injuries. But Camilla's health isn't as strong as his.

Other than for polo injuries, I cannot remember a time in his life when the Prince of Wales has been hospitalized or out of "service".

And I know Camilla has a serious nicotine habit, but other than gynecological surgery a few years ago her health has appeared to be pretty sturdy as well.

And I know Camilla has a serious nicotine habit, but other than gynecological surgery a few years ago her health has appeared to be pretty sturdy as well.

Didn’t she quit smoking? I think I read she did, particularly with her family history of osteoporosis. Smoking was identified as a risk factor for osteoporosis decades ago.

I think he must have gotten confused (though I haven’t read anything about Camilla having issues). Doctors quoted in articles tonight have spoken about how healthy he is, which will help him. I think if Charles had lung issues he wouldn’t be able to walk as much as he does....

Other than for polo injuries, I cannot remember a time in his life when the Prince of Wales has been hospitalized or out of "service".

She had a lung infection back in November that took her out of events.

But I meant more that she had slowed down a bit, not that she was ill. She often has to go on tours a few days early, so she can rest and be up for them. She also looked a bit tired on some. Not that she is sick, simply perhaps not as robust as her husband. Which when you are her age, doesn't help with this.

Didn’t she quit smoking? I think I read she did, particularly with her family history of osteoporosis. Smoking was identified as a risk factor for osteoporosis decades ago.

As someone that does have severe osteoporosis and (yes, I admit it) still smokes, I have to commend Camilla for recognizing the risks and quitting smoking when she did. She is president of the Royal Osteoporosis Society due to osteoporosis contributing to her mother's death.

I can attest to the fact that having osteoporosis not only affects the bones in the body and making one a prime target for breaks and fractures very easily but it also can contribute to other bodily functions going haywire. Smoking actually contributes to *all* health related issues and once hooked, almost a miracle if one can quit. There have been speculations that quitting tobacco abuse is even harder sometimes than quitting a heroin addiction.

I'm working on it bit by bit here. If Camilla is a non smoker now, her chances are a lot greater to survive this virus than mine are. Its one reason I do look up to Camilla as a role model. ?

He has? I didn't know that ......but I just read an article and I think it's probably true; it's likely due to fluids having built up during a long flight (this was in November, when he went to India) without moving around. Generally speaking, he's in good health, and he eats well.

Did Camilla quit? If so, and she hasn't had any issues, then she's probably ok - as ok as she can be, I guess.

Regardless, just the fact that Charles is over 70 is enough to make it an extremely serious case. I can't imagine what William and Harry are going through.

Yes, the Duchess has quit smoking for almost two decades now. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-59202/Coughing-Camilla-gives-smoking.html

No, I've never heard of his having lung issues. He has rarely if ever been ill during his life.

The Prince often visibly has outbreaks of rosacea, with redness of his facial skin. It is an inflammatory disease which is not uncommon with light-skin toned North-Europeans. As it is an inflammatory disease, often reported side-effects during outbreaks are nasopharyngitis, upper respiratory tract infection, and headache.

The Prince during a visible inflammation: https://i1.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-co...lity=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=480,310&ssl=1

Since Clarence House said Charles (and probably Camilla) were tested in a hospital in Aberdeenshire it makes me think that he and Camilla had already gone to Birkhall early just as his mother went to Windsor Castle once all their personal engagements were cancelled.

I doubt if either of them even considered Charles had more than a cold and since they have always spent Easter in Scotland why would this year be any different. To be honest a phone call from Clarence House would probably have seen his personal Physician at CH within hours.

I hope Charles gets better soon, I'm not surprised he was tested and the smattering of 'outrage' over it are a bit much IMO. That said it looks bad they travelled to Scotland as normal given the UK is being told not to undertake unnecessary travel and not to visit holiday homes to isolate. I suspect though its the usual attempt as "keep calm and carry on" and the UK didn't go into 'lockdown' until Monday evening.

Last edited:
I hope Charles gets better soon, I'm not surprised he was tested and the smattering of 'outrage' over it are a bit much IMO. That said I am amazed they travelled to Scotland as normal given the UK is being told not to undertake unnecessary travel and not to visit holiday homes to isolate. I suspect though its the usual attempt as "keep calm and carry on".

seems sensible to me. Its his home, and it is a lot healthier than London. and since none of them can do appearances or face to face meetings, he might as well be there as anywhere else. If he travelled in royal style, I cant see that he would be likely to infect anyone else or be at more risks than if he stayed in London...

She had a lung infection back in November that took her out of events.

But I meant more that she had slowed down a bit, not that she was ill. She often has to go on tours a few days early, so she can rest and be up for them. She also looked a bit tired on some. Not that she is sick, simply perhaps not as robust as her husband. Which when you are her age, doesn't help with this.

She has never been too fit, in that she can't stand heat very well or long distance travel. She goes early on tours to give her time to acclimatisie and she's had to cut a few short as well. She is also prone to chesty colds I think,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom