The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-09-2017, 04:29 AM
Majesty

Prince Charles has become the longest-serving Prince of Wales in history.

Prince Charles is longest-serving Prince of Wales - BBC News

Old 09-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Prince Charles has become the longest-serving Prince of Wales in history.

Prince Charles is longest-serving Prince of Wales - BBC News
The future Edward VIII would be in second place having been Prince of Wales from his birth in 1841 and held the title until his accession in 1901.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

General News for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall 1: February 2015-

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The future Edward VIII would be in second place having been Prince of Wales from his birth in 1841 and held the title until his accession in 1901.

You have an extra number with your King Edwards. Edward VIII is the one that abdicated. Edward VII, his grandfather, is the one you mean, Queen Victoria's heir.

George IV also spent a long time as Prince of Wales from 1762 to 1820. It's not surprising since QEII, Victoria and George III are the longest reigning British monarchs.

Edward VII wasn't Prince of Wales from his birth. He was created it a month later. Charles was created PoW when he was almost 10.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Majesty

Prince Charles' trip to Myanmar, Nov 2017

Thread related to forthcoming trip to Myanmar
Old 09-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Nobility

Why is he going? It is an interesting timing, unless his main purpose is to raise awareness about the situation of the Rohingya and stand up for them at the highest level.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Majesty

The information comes from an exclusive in the Express.

It is at the request of HM Government

It is in November and part of a wider tour.

Prince Charles planning visit to Myanmar amid ethnic cleansing crisis | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow! It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Courtier

He will not utter a single word about Rohingya crisis. Purely a business visit. These people just talk for OR about rights n all that fancy stuff. Never actually act.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charles has regularly raised these issues with the government behind the scenes. He won't speak out publicly because that isn't what he is about but he will very likely raise it in a meeting with the leadership.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

And I am sure the photo ops will be kept out of the smoke from the burning villages. From a purely practical POV.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Serene Highness

I was quite intrigued when this visit was announced a few days ago. The British has strong ties to Aung San Suu Kyi and it's a very sensitive time in Burma. The POW has spoken out on human rights in the past, to the point where he alienated China (my understanding is that he coordinate that with the British government).

But I don't think he will speak out. He will be a guest of the military government and it is hard to believe that the UK wants him to criticize the military on their own soil. Such criticism would not help the Rohingya, and it would probably hurt relations between the country.

But it is an odd time for the UK to be courting Burmese trade. I wonder if they want him to address the issue with Burmese business leaders in private.

The bottom line is that whether he addresses the crisis or not, it will speak volumes about the UK position in the middle of an ethnic cleansing.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

That he is going is outrageous. They are murdering the Rohingya is great numbers. Not quite enough for Aung San Suu Kyi to declare it ethnic cleaning in an interview she gave the other day. She must have a set number of how many have to die. She is shameful, too. That he is going is shameful. He stood up to China for Human Rights Violations, but its okay here. Frankly, a poor decision on his part. And for that matter on the part of the UK.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:24 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
That he is going is outrageous. They are murdering the Rohingya is great numbers. Not quite enough for Aung San Suu Kyi to declare it ethnic cleaning in an interview she gave the other day. She must have a set number of how many have to die. She is shameful, too. That he is going is shameful. He stood up to China for Human Rights Violations, but its okay here. Frankly, a poor decision on his part. And for that matter on the part of the UK.
There's two different ways of looking at this issue. One belongs to Charles that is something deep rooted within him that cares deeply about his fellow human beings. Then there's The Prince of Wales going somewhere at the request of his government, representing his monarch and his government and what their stance is on the issue. With this trip, we'll be seeing The Prince of Wales rather than Charles the man. Charles may have stood up for human rights with China but I would bet my last hard cream soda that it wasn't on an official visit to China at the behest of his monarch and government.

In his role as The Prince of Wales, he sometimes has to do things he might rather not do. It will be the same when he is King.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Majesty

I think everyone should calm down.

None of this has been confirmed. Today (14/9) the British Foreign Secretary has strongly condemned actions in Myanmar.

It is for the British Gov to decide - Charles is a servant of the Government.

MY own view is that what is happening is despicable but that perhaps words from someone considered a friend can assist.

I would be surprised if it happened considering todays statement.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
There's two different ways of looking at this issue. One belongs to Charles that is something deep rooted within him that cares deeply about his fellow human beings. Then there's The Prince of Wales going somewhere at the request of his government, representing his monarch and his government and what their stance is on the issue. With this trip, we'll be seeing The Prince of Wales rather than Charles the man. Charles may have stood up for human rights with China but I would bet my last hard cream soda that it wasn't on an official visit to China at the behest of his monarch and government.

In his role as The Prince of Wales, he sometimes has to do things he might rather not do. It will be the same when he is King.

Well said.

Charles, like the Queen, has to do what he is told by the government of the day.

If that means going to Myanmar now or not going that is up to the government and the government alone.

If the government want them to host a murderer at BP - e.g. Mugabe, or the former leader of Roumania - then they have to do it. If they want them to visit a country where human rights abuses are common e.g. China - then they have to go.

The monarch is in many ways the least free person in the UK and her heir not far behind.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:49 AM
Majesty

Exactly. When it comes to politics, the queen and her heir have less power then the common man. They don't even vote. And tours like this are exactly that, they are political events. Like a president going on a state visit. No matter their personal beliefs and feelings on the situation, they do their duty and responsibility. If asked to make the trip, or host a leader, they will.

Just like Charles isn't about to debate ivory on a state visit to China, he will have to watch his personal beliefs and will, on an official trip.

There are two sides to their work life (not personal). Their official duties for the government, and their patronages. In their patronages they have more freedom to pursue causes that are key to them. Unfortunately the official duty side is far more sanctioned.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 AM
Courtier

Regardless of numbers(!) how well did they serve out their apprentienceship?

Completely different era now of course, so you can't really compare.

Charles will be King in the next decade and I expext Camilla will be Queen (apologies if going off topic there).
Old 09-15-2017, 07:49 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Regardless of numbers(!) how well did they serve out their apprentienceship?

Completely different era now of course, so you can't really compare.

Charles will be King in the next decade and I expext Camilla will be Queen (apologies if going off topic there).
If I had to put it into words, when comparing Charles to previous Princes of Wales, I would have to say that Charles rewrote, remodeled and redefined the role of The Prince of Wales. David (Edward VIII) really didn't put the heart and soul into the role that Charles has and those that preceded David lived in a totally different kind of a world.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen's top aide 'is ousted in power struggle' | Daily Mail Online

If it's true that Andrew is backing Charles on this, I wonder if he'll expect something in return?

Such as- official roles for his daughters?
Or- a title for their husbands?

Somehow I don't think Andrew is motivated by brotherly love.
Although- he might be acting out of a personal grudge.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

I dobut if he will get anything. I don't see Charles handing out titles to husbands.. and even less is he going to use B and Eug as Royal workers.