General News for The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall 1: Feb 2015-Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but I was wanting William and Kate very disappointed

:whistling:
So happy that Charles and Camilla will represent the BRF at this great event. As pointed out Charles has strengthened his links with the Commonwealth for years, so this future engagement is quite logical.

It is interesting that for the second time in two years at least the Queen has sent or will send Charles to his future realms to represent her - this year to Canada for the 150th anniversary and now to Australia for the Commonwealth Games.

So often we hear that the Queen is going to bypass Charles for William and Kate (Yes I know she can't do that but that doesn't stop the press from reporting it every few months) and yet the very clear message coming from this announcement, on top of the recent trip to Canada, is that 'Charles is my heir and when I need someone to represent me at an event where the Queen of xxxx would, in the past, have been expected to be there in person, I am sending my heir, not the 2nd in line or some other minor family member but my eldest son and heir apparent.'

I have heard that there is a rumour Philip may even come and that the Queen hasn't totally ruled herself out from coming yet but Charles and Camilla are definitely coming (and I presume Edward given his position with the Commonwealth Games ...Commonwealth Games Vice Patron ... Edward replaced Philip in that role some years ago).

If the Queen didn't go to Canada for Canada 150, she isn't going to Australia for a Commonwealth Games.

Isn't the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting next year in the U.K.? If so, I would expect to see the Cambridges attend that along with C&C and the Queen.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Prince Edward is also reportedly “likely” to attend the Games, while the Queen is expected to announce her intention to visit the event by October.

This is the wording being used in many of the reports which suggests that she hasn't ruled out the possibility of one more trip down under. She did say, when she last visited in 2011, that she expected to return. It was even remarked upon as she didn't visit Sydney on that trip.

Personally I don't expect her to come but then again it hasn't been ruled out totally.

If the Cambridge's do go, we probably won't know until closer to 2018. KP isn't known to announce visits like this too far in advance.

Nice to know Charles and Camilla is going though.

If the Queen didn't go to Canada for Canada 150, she isn't going to Australia for a Commonwealth Games.

Isn't the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting next year in the U.K.? If so, I would expect to see the Cambridges attend that along with C&C and the Queen.
I don't think the Cambridge's will attend. At the moment, IMO, it is important, from a Commonwealth perspective, to keep the focus on Charles, to make sure he can be nominated as the next head of the Commonwealth.

I don't think the Cambridge's will attend. At the moment, IMO, it is important, from a Commonwealth perspective, to keep the focus on Charles, to make sure he can be nominated as the next head of the Commonwealth.

I've always said, it's the reason why Charles is go to the Commonwealth Meetings.

We and the press and Great Aunt Rhodie down the street may think its great that Will & Kate are stepping up to full time royal duties and want to see them everywhere but we have to remember also that as popular they are with us, they're not quite that high in the pecking order as of yet.

Charles has been his mother's heir apparent since 1952. That's my lifetime. He's fulfilled his role to the best of his ability over that time and frankly, I'd deem him as one of the hardest working Prince of Wales ever. As the Queen ages and needs to step away from doing some of the things she's done for years as monarch, her natural choice is her heir apparent who will follow in her footsteps.

If HM, The Queen bypassed her heir on opening the Commonwealth Games for Will & Kate or anyone else, I think the press would go into overdrive into pointing out that this is a huge slap in the face to Charles and that is the last thing that the Queen would want to do. She's proud of her son and his wife and knows that when the time does come and Charles becomes King, he'll be more than ready for the job.

Given that the Queen not so long ago sent her private secretary all the way to Australia to lobby its PM to support Charles' appointment as Head of the Commonwealth it would be a remarkably backwards move not to send Charles to represent her.

Likewise, the Queen has stopped attending CHoGM in long haul destinations so I can't see her now deciding to fly for 24hrs when she didn't attend in 2010 in Delhi.

It's great the Cambridges are stepping up, but like any other royal family, there are certain things which call for the monarch or heir. William will have plenty of experience when his time comes, when his dad is king and he POW. It is important Charkes attends major events like Canada and the commonwealth.

It seems a lot of people believe the dreamed up idea Charles can be skipped over. William has decades before he will be king. If Charles lives as old as his parents. Plenty of time for him to do what his dad does now.

Totally agree that occasions traditionally attended by the Queen in the past should be attended by Charles as her replacement. This particular occasion seems to be one they have alternated on for some years now.

There are and will be other non traditional or one off occasions for William to represent the Queen at as time goes on, or to replace Charles at on those he has carried out in the past as RF representative.

It will possibly a bit of both, depending on the occasion, along with sharing out various patronages as the Queen winds down her duties to a certain extent.

Nice to see Camilla's son Tom with them! I wonder if his wife and children will be joining them!

Maybe this trip is Camilla's family's birthday gift.

They have come straight from SANDRINGHAM. Hope they have a wonderful time.

Me too. Sandringham, eh? Gosh, that white sand! Hope they sleep well tonight and have whatever energy they want for coming days.

It's great the Cambridges are stepping up, but like any other royal family, there are certain things which call for the monarch or heir. William will have plenty of experience when his time comes, when his dad is king and he POW. It is important Charkes attends major events like Canada and the commonwealth.

It seems a lot of people believe the dreamed up idea Charles can be skipped over. William has decades before he will be king. If Charles lives as old as his parents. Plenty of time for him to do what his dad does now.

William has already taken part in several events where the heir to the throne would normally be expected instead. e.g. the commemoration of the WW1 centenary in Belgium in 2014 and the recent official visits to France and Germany. Having said that, the Queen has always made a point of relinquishing her Commonwealth duties to Charles. It would greatly surprise me if she did otherwise this time.

Last edited:
William has already taken part in several events where the heir to the throne would normally be expected instead. e.g. the commemoration of the WW1 centenary in Belgium in 2014 and the recent official visits to France and Germany. Having said that, the Queen has always made a point of relinquishing her Commonwealth duties to Charles. It would greatly surprise me if she did otherwise this time.

Not at all. Tours are memorials are not expected to be performed by heirs. The younger children often perform them. There is a major difference of representing the queen of the commonwealth at a commonwealth event and going to a war memorial. Any other Canada day any royal would have been suited, but 150 years called for the big guns. In the past it would have been the queen.

Nice to see Camilla's son Tom with them! I wonder if his wife and children will be joining them!

When Camilla was asked how she planned to celebrate she mentioned a family vacation. I'd think not only toms wife and kids, but Laura and her family, are there or on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Camilla was asked how she planned to celebrate she mentioned a family vacation. I'd think not only toms wife and kids, but Laura and her family, are there or on the way.

Most likely. I'm sure this isn't a one off. We rarely see the downtime Charles and Camilla have only their official engagements. Everyone's entitled to a summer break ..... even the Royals whom I suspect many suspect - and most likely true - have more breaks per annum than most! :lol:

Not at all. Tours are memorials are not expected to be performed by heirs. The younger children often perform them. There is a major difference of representing the queen of the commonwealth at a commonwealth event and going to a war memorial. Any other Canada day any royal would have been suited, but 150 years called for the big guns. In the past it would have been the queen.

Actually, the centenary of a major event like WW1 should have been attended by the Queen herself. as it was attended e.g. by the presidents of France, Germany and Austria, and by the King of the Belgians. Since the Queen doesn't often leave the UK this days, she should have sent the PoW as her deputy. It greatly surprised me that William attended instead, but, if I recall it correctly, the reason was that, on that very same day, Charles attended a Commonwealth remembrance service in the UK, which again fits into the pattern of Charles taking up official Commonwealth business rather than William.

As far as the recent visits to France and Germany are concerned, those were not "tours", but rather official visits (only a notch below a state visit then). Generally, in other monarchies, official visits of that kind are made either by the sovereign or the crown prince / crown princess, and not by the second in line.

Last edited:
It has been confirmed Charles will represent The Queen at the Commonwealth Games.

Well not a major surprise. Expect to see Charles (finally) and William (newly career free) stepping up to the royal plate much more than seen in the past.

:previous:
1. Charles has been stepping up to the royal plate for years.

2. He is the hardest working royal together with Anne.

3. Previously, Charles opened the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi on The Queen's behalf. This will be the seventh time he has attended the Commonwealth Games.

4. And William isn't the heir, so he doesn't need to attend all these things, but he has been stepping up to the royal plate.

Last edited:
ITA Royal Norway. Charles has been one of the hardest working members of the BRF for years. :flowers:

Is it not his full time role, also for years? What else would he be doing?

He has a bit to go before gaining the same respect workwise as the Queen.

Is it not his full time role, also for years? What else would he be doing?

He has a bit to go before gaining the same respect workwise as the Queen.

Really? Do you mean that in terms of sheer number of engagements carried out, or the effectiveness of his charitable endeavours? Or am I (and Charles!) missing something?

Very much doubt Charles is on here or in the least bit interested in what we think :lol:

Even so, I expect he would agree that he has a bit to go before meeting the same level of duty as his mother. Of course, not easy having to wait (and continue to wait) in the wings. But still, to carry out more engagements than your mother and father who are both is in their early to mid nineties after all is hardly an achievement. Well, to me anyway.

Very much doubt Charles is on here or in the least bit interested in what we think :lol:

Even so, I expect he would agree that he has a bit to go before meeting the same level of duty as his mother. Of course, not easy having to wait (and continue to wait) in the wings. But still, to carry out more engagements than your mother and father who are both is in their early to mid nineties after all is hardly an achievement. Well, to me anyway.

Same level of duty or same level of responsibility? The latter comes from the position which he can't occupy till his mother is alive.

Query if Charles returned to Corfu after the engagement in Belgium yesterday, or went off to Birkhall.

Also, query if the Cambridge's went off with Charles to either of those locations, or perhaps on their own holiday.

Query if Charles returned to Corfu after the engagement in Belgium yesterday, or went off to Birkhall.

Also, query if the Cambridge's went off with Charles to either of those locations, or perhaps on their own holiday.

SOurce: Court Cirular:-

CHarles arrived from and returned to Scotland.

CAmbridges arrived on Sunday from, and returned on Monday to Norfolk(RAF Marham)

As this poor Charles once said : his work will be recognized one day, after his death ...
Discouraging comment, to say the least ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom