Family of the Duchess of Cornwall 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh let it rest, Richard Kay! Why shouldn't he engage Annabel? She's a talented interior decorator who knows his tastes and with whom he works well and has for years. It's only natural he'll engage her for these projects.

It would make sense not to use her so it can't be media fodder. Typical of Charles to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

To be honest, I think if the BRF were to strive to avoid media fodder, they'd forevermore be holed up in a castle with a very deep moat and the drawbridge up. :D

To me, its just common sense to go with someone you know that can do the work as you want it to be done. I think most of us that had family that could expertly do a job for us, they'd be quite insulted if we went elsewhere with our business.

It's not new information. It was addressed in the Dumfries House restoration documentary and Annabel was in the doco.

Its not like he gave a multi million dollar public funded contract to her :bang: He hired her with personal money to do a personal job. One she is highly qualified to do and knows his style and taste.

Would any of us do different? If your Aunt was a florist, would you not hire her for your wedding? The queen uses her cousin as a party planner and no one cares.

With due respect you or I aren't the future King. MPO

Yes, although at times I suppose it can get a bit fraught (Peter Phillips and the Queen's 90th birthday Mall celebrations come to mind.) However, I'm sure Annabelle Elliot does a splendid job. She knows the couple's tastes, etc.

I think the Daily Fail journalists are on the prowl through their archives at this time of the year. Most royals are on holiday. No new Royal stories popping up.

Last edited:
The Queen hires her cousin Elizabeth Anson for party planning. She organized the party for the foreign royals ahead of the wedding of W&K. That's the same thing as Charles hiring Camilla's sister yet no outrage from the press.

The Queen can't be touched though but this is August.

August is bash Charles and Camilla month as the public have to be reminded how they destroyed the life of Diana.

Every year August sees story after story of how awful Charles and Camilla are. There are few, if any, royal engagements to give the press other stories and so they bring out all the anti-Charles and anti-Camilla stories.

They also often adding anti-William stories painting William as like Charles - the serious, even pompous entitled son while Harry is like Diana with the 'common' touch - whatever that means.

I suspect this is because William won't play ball and allow the press any chance to cover his growing family and a large percentage of the public are buying into the lazy William vs hardworking Harry hype (ignoring the fact that Harry does fewer engagements than William and has been unemployed for over a year - if that had been Beatrice who was unemployed for over a year the press would be on her back but Harry can do nothing much and the press still present him as somehow the best of the bunch).

William has his reasons for not allowing any real connection to develop between the public and his children - a few static pictures with no other humans in them with no real backgrounds - backgrounds that could be anywhere in the world does mean there isn't the emotional connection between the public and his children that existed between the public and earlier royal children through seeing them actually moving and connecting with their family.

Last edited:
People can connect when they see small children romping about their home though, and an emotional connection is easier when you can see the way the children react to their parents and sibling and their surroundings. I and others can still remember that video with Charles, Diana and young William and little Harry at KP.

As for the media unfairly attacking one brother while leaving the other alone, isn't that just what you are doing, Iluvbertie,with your remarks about Harry? Comparing one unfavourably against the other?

Last edited:
Seriously I don't get the fuss with Charles employing the Duchess' sister, okay i can see why people may not approve in some ways, but we have known this for years so to bring it up now like its new its poor journalism.

I think the difference between the Queen employing her cousin and Charles employing Annabel is that the Queen's events tend to be private ones that she is paying for personally, Charles' is using Annabel for his company using what are technically company funds. I guess to some people its like letting your florist sister do flowers for your wedding (the Queen) or flowers or your office every day and charging your company (Charles).

That being said if Annabel does the job well and there have been no complaints over ten years then whats the fuss!!

It would make sense not to use her so it can't be media fodder. Typical of Charles to do this.

Why? Why should he care? He's used Mrs Elliott before, I presume. he has a right to use anyone he likes provided they are respectable and do the job..So some idiot journalist wants to make a 2 para story of what is a complete nothing? She's his wife's sister, so given that, I cant see why he should not employ her.

People can connect when they see small children romping about their home though, and an emotional connection is easier when you can see the way the children react to their parents and sibling and their surroundings. I and others can still remember that video with Charles, Diana and young William and little Harry at KP.

As for the media unfairly attacking one brother while leaving the other alone, isn't that just what you are doing, Iluvbertie,with your remarks about Harry? Comparing one unfavourably against the other?
Why? Some people can connect. others just think Ok 2 small children ramping around.. like most children. Nothing special there.
I don't feel any emotional connection to William or his children because I might see them running about.. Mind you I don't feel any connection to WIllliam at all...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the Daily Hate Mail, people. Like every British citizen the Prince of Wales is free to choose how he wants to have his interiors. Storm in a cup of lukewarm tea.

Funny because it's nothing new (from 2009).

Charles paid sister-in-law £400,000 to refurbish his holiday cottages | Daily Mail Online

It's not a secret (see from 28.00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMSN37hMnhQ

It's Richard Kay again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...1-2-million--helped-cover-adultery-years.html

It's nor suprising from you (imo of course).

Damn, i love August ...

And of course not surprising from you

What when the Prince of Wales pays his cousin Viscount Linley for the timberwork in one of his residences? Or is that verboten too?

Yes, the quiet month of August!

If the contract is for private work paid for by Charles personally - it's no ones business but his own whom he employs.

If it's a company and there are no rules dictating the contract must go out for tender prior to selection, again, up to him. In such a case, why look elsewhere when you already have a source with a good historical record behind them?

Yes, the quiet month of August!

If the contract is for private work paid for by Charles personally - it's no ones business but his own whom he employs.

If it's a company and there are no rules dictating the contract must go out for tender prior to selection, again, up to him. In such a case, why look elsewhere when you already have a source with a good historical record behind them?

Indeed and Her Most Glorious Brittannic Majesty does it too. She often hires her cousin Lady Elizabeth Anson (daughter of Hon. John Herbert Bowes-Lyon and of Hon. Fenella Hepburn-Stuart-Fforbes-Trefusis) as a party- and events organizer.

Seriously I don't get the fuss with Charles employing the Duchess' sister, okay i can see why people may not approve in some ways, but we have known this for years so to bring it up now like its new its poor journalism.

I think the difference between the Queen employing her cousin and Charles employing Annabel is that the Queen's events tend to be private ones that she is paying for personally, Charles' is using Annabel for his company using what are technically company funds. I guess to some people its like letting your florist sister do flowers for your wedding (the Queen) or flowers or your office every day and charging your company (Charles).

That being said if Annabel does the job well and there have been no complaints over ten years then whats the fuss!!

The Queen is using the money from her private income - the Duchy of Lancaster. Charles is using the money for his private income - the Duchy of Cornwall.

No difference really as both are using their private income for private purposes.

This is simply an exercise in Charles bashing and it happens all the time, particularly with some writers for papers like the DM.

I'm not critizing Charles at all, but IMO there is a difference. Yes its Charles' money but its for the estate he holds in trust for future generations so in that way IMO its not unfair to have the potential conflict of interest pointed out. But I don't think its an issue personally.

I'm not critizing Charles at all, but IMO there is a difference. Yes its Charles' money but its for the estate he holds in trust for future generations so in that way IMO its not unfair to have the potential conflict of interest pointed out. But I don't think its an issue personally.
Charles doesn't hold the duchy in trust for future generations.

The duchy exists to provide private income to the heir apparent.

He holds it in trust for future generations by he only get the income and there are restrictions on what he can sell. The duchy owns vacation properties that are rentals and that what Camilla's sister decorated. The duchy spent money now to make money later from the rentals.

I would have asked the same person again when I would have been very satisfied indeed with the results of earlier projects. Big deal, pfff...

So Charles spending his private income to ensure that he and future generations of Dukes of Cornwall can continue to have a solid private income is to be condemned while the Queen spending her private income on not ensuring that the future monarchs have a solid private income is not.

It is still their private income and they have decided how to spend it.

Charles has basically invested his private income to increase his income (something many people do) while the Queen uses hers for private pleasure (something many people also do).

It is their PRIVATE income and so their to spend as they see fit.

Its not For the estate, its From the estate. He is the owner, and its income in simply in trust to protect it. What happens if George when POW was a drunk gambler who decided to sell off properties to feed his habit? There goes his income, and his kids. Charles instead is owner, meaning he has full control of profits to fund his life. But he isn't allowed to sell it, meaning the income continues for generations. Its like a trust fund that doesn't end.

Instead of spending it on lavish parties and vacations, along with supporting him, Camailla, Harry and the Cambridges, he is creating new business. He is increasing revenue for generations to come. Maybe he just should spend it on islands, horses and booze as long as he doesn't employ family.

Its not For the estate, its From the estate. He is the owner, and its income in simply in trust to protect it. What happens if George when POW was a drunk gambler who decided to sell off properties to feed his habit? There goes his income, and his kids. Charles instead is owner, meaning he has full control of profits to fund his life. But he isn't allowed to sell it, meaning the income continues for generations. Its like a trust fund that doesn't end.

Instead of spending it on lavish parties and vacations, along with supporting him, Camailla, Harry and the Cambridges, he is creating new business. He is increasing revenue for generations to come. Maybe he just should spend it on islands, horses and booze as long as he doesn't employ family.

The Duke of Cornwall is a very good "businessman" regarding the Duchy. He manages it so well, with record turnovers and profits. Maybe he is the most succesful Duke of Cornwall in that aspect. It is telling for the Daily Hate Mail that the whole, quite impressive entrepreneurship, is left by zooming into such futile detail. And it is dragging a very old cow out of the moat: the same story has been told again and again. And of course double standards aplenty. Royals spending money into the businesses of Lady Elizabeth Anson, Earl Snowdon, the late Earl Lichfield or Viscount Linley are -of course- "overlooked".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom