Family of the Duchess of Cornwall 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would someone pay 30 million US Dollar for what is essentially just a personal depiction -on canvas- of a friend?

:previous: Hmmm. Same reason someone would pay $208,000,000 for a 102 year old painting depicting a French artist's impression - on canvas - of a misty pond of waterlilies, I suppose: because they want to, and they can.

Last edited:
I understand but what baffled me was that the painting’s late owner bought it as a gift for his first wife.

I mean: why would you give your wife a painting with a living army officer on it? It is a bit a weird gift, if you ask me.

I understand but what baffled me was that the painting’s late owner bought it as a gift for his first wife.

I mean: why would you give your wife a painting with a living army officer on it? It is a bit a weird gift, if you ask me.

Ooh! I didn't know that. I think it invites a bit of an enquiry into the relationship between said wife and said army officer. And perhaps said late owner and said artist. :whistling:

Or perhaps the wife fancied those disturbing male nudes that Freud painted, and the husband felt that though he wanted to gift his wife with something she would like, but he couldn't stand to have one of those disturbing male nudes on his wall so he bought her a Freud portrait with some distinctive characteristics such as the disturbing pale blotches on the head, but fully clothed.

Freud was bankable to rise in price. So a decent investment. It was no the market. And as portraits go, that one is not so bad!

Plus, it may have matched the sofa set. ;)

For me personally, I think this article should never have been published. Sebastian Shakespeare isn't rated very high in my book and to me, it seems like he out to speak not only ill of the dead but to also pull a skeleton out of the Shand family's closet.

Many, many people can and do use recreational drugs without it becoming such a problem that it takes over one's life and I did really chuckle reading about Mark and his buddy dressing up in that armor as it is a temptation that a lot of big kids wouldn't resist.

Mark was an adventurer, humanitarian and a man with a deep commitment his friends, the elephant. He did live his life to the fullest. It is those accomplishments that should be focused on rather than his dalliances in drugs and alcohol.

Just my opinion of course.

He used illegal drugs I'm glad it has come out.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Well, it was his sister that something about his use. Nothing shocking and really newsworthy though.

The adagium "Nothing but good about the deceased" apparently does not count for Mr Shand's sister...

Insensitive AND disrespectul [both to the deceased and to those that mourn] .
Another triumph for gutter journalism... and a black mark for the sister...

Last edited by a moderator:
Respect the memory of the dead do not say; His sister is an example to be avoided. It was not at all necessary that anymore. What is the relationship she have with Camilla;

Two posts have been deleted because they were empty posts and added absolutely nothing to the discussion. A further post has been edited to remove offensive language. Please be civil towards one another when discussing tabloid news stories and avoid disruptive language when expressing your opinions.

Mark was an adventurer, humanitarian and a man with a deep commitment his friends, the elephant. He did live his life to the fullest. It is those accomplishments that should be focused on rather than his dalliances in drugs and alcohol.

Nicely put.

The article is a non-event.

For me personally, I think this article should never have been published. Sebastian Shakespeare isn't rated very high in my book and to me, it seems like he out to speak not only ill of the dead but to also pull a skeleton out of the Shand family's closet.

Just my opinion of course.

I will bet some money on it that the DM article has taken things out of context and the Vanity Fair article will tell a different story.

Just look at the DM headline vs the text.

Nothing like the accepted practice of trashing Camilla and her family.:whistling::whistling::whistling: (Second story in 2 days....)

Any links to the Vanity Fair article?

I did not find the article neither 'trashing" nor disrespectful. Mark clearly lived his life in the fast lane and enjoyed a lifestyle that not everyone agrees with but often carried out by people in all walks of life. Doing cocaine have for a long time been obiquitous in the most upper echelon of society and it should not be a surprise that Mark may have indulged as well. The sister's comment of "user and abuser" sounds as if he was perhaps a spoiled brother with two adoring sisters. Add being chauvinistic, adventurous, charismatic and not lacking for money and there you have someone like Mark.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that link, Nico. :flowers: I enjoyed that video immensely. A nice biographical account of Andrew PB as well as info about the artist and the artistic process.

Mark Shand ashes to be scattered in India

It is unfortunate that Camilla will not be with her family.

It is a shame that there was a conflict in her schedule.

I am sure she would have liked to be with her family and to see her brother off for the last time.

Not necessarily if you consider the number of people involved and the planning that had to go into it. Sometimes you can't make something work for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ridiculous article. The Crown Estate is an independently managed body with proceeds profits going to the Treasury. The Royal Family have no influence over its management.

I think the biggest thing here that Shakespeare is omitting in this article and I've read the article three times now to see if perhaps *I* missed something. No where in the article does it state that Simon Parker-Bowles owns the land on which Green's is built.

He is not being forced by the Royal Family out of his restaurant, as you state Muriel, and his livelihood is being taken away by bullies but to me it seems like the Crown Estates already own the land and SP-B has been told by the landlord that his time there is up. If SP-B owned the land outright, it would stand to reason that some settlement had been made. The statement in the article by SP-B states "‘It’s true that we are being forced to close Duke Street due to the insatiable desire of the Crown Estate to redevelop,"

If Simon Parker-Bowles is a smart man, perhaps a workable solution would be to negotiate that Green's would become part of the renovations as it states the area is to include offices, restaurants and upscale apartments/living areas.

Then again, Perhaps this is all Shakespeare's overactive imagination and he's seen smoke from a candle and is yelling "Fire!". I don't trust anything out of this man's mouth.

Last edited:
From The Times of 17 March 2016: GEOFFREY HOWE A Service of Thanksgiving for the life and work of The Rt Hon The Lord Howe of Aberavon CH PC QC will be held in St Margaret's Church, Westminster Abbey at Noon on Tuesday 3rd May 2016. To register for tickets please apply to: Memorial, 2 Crane's Croft Road, Norwich NR7 8UD enclosing a stamped address envelope to arrive by Thursday 24th March 2016. Tickets will be issued subject to availability and will be posted by 22nd April 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom