Family of the Duchess of Cornwall 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark felt the focus on the African elephant overshadowed the more endangered Asian elephant.
So, I don't think Mark would have looked favorably upon William.

“There are only 50,000 of them,” Shand said, “compared with half a million African ones. Yet bigger, uglier African elephants grab all the attention.”

Mark left the fauna-flora international charity to focus on the Asian elephant.

Mark Shand - obituary - Telegraph

Last edited:
Mark felt the focus on the African elephant overshadowed the more endangered Asian elephant.
So, I don't think Mark would have looked favorably upon William.

[/URL]

I cant imagine why he would not have looked favorably upon someone also helping elephants, even if it is on a different continent. I mean if it were King Juan Carlos who shoots elephants, I could see that being a problem.

Girlfriend of Camilla's tragic brother Mark Shand leads tributes to him at fundraiser for endangered elephants held in his memory | Mail Online

Fundraising for Elephant Family held last week.

If this is indeed a direct quote from Ruth Powys no wonder Mark Shand broke up with her.

Everyone he would ever want to see, turned up.

His daughter and sisters did not attend.

I really didn't find that too offensive but maybe a little bit odd. Perhaps her meaning was that the deep pockets he'd have liked to be there, were. His niece and nephew attended though and it was good to see the Kents there.

I especially loved the idea of Giant's Footsteps as a tribute to Mark Shand. Double meaning as in not only big elephant footprints but the footprints of a giant heart who's mission in life was to protect these wonderful animals.

Girlfriend of Camilla's tragic brother Mark Shand leads tributes to him at fundraiser for endangered elephants held in his memory | Mail Online

Fundraising for Elephant Family held last week.

If this is indeed a direct quote from Ruth Powys no wonder Mark Shand broke up with her.

Everyone he would ever want to see, turned up.

His daughter and sisters did not attend.

I took it that the statement was directed at the particular audience and meant that everyone Mark would have hoped would attend the fundraiser did indeed come, with the implication that they would dig deep into their pockets and support the cause. I doubt it was directed at his siblings and daughter and close personal friends.

Destruction of Duntreath Castle

And lost family fortunes. In fact, that was our favorite topic: errant uncles who lost vast chunks of London, and grand titles disappearing off to distant (and, in our view, deeply undeserving) cousins.

I am trying to determine which uncles lost vast chunks of London.

The undeserving cousin, IMO, is Archibald Bruce Edmondstone who destroyed the family's ancestral home Duntreath Castle.

William Edmonstone (father of Alice Keppel nee Edmonstone) died in 1888. His 20 year old son Archibald (Archie) with his sister Alice continued the renovation of the castle that had begun by their grandfather and uncle.

In 1898, after the renovations, Duntreath Castle was photographed.

In 1923, Archie gave Duntreath Castle to his son Archibald Charles (Charlie) as a wedding gift when he married Gwendolyn Mary Fields, the granddaughter of Marshall Fields, the founder of the Chicago department store.

In 1954, both Archie & Charlie died and Archibald Bruce inherited Duntreath.

In 1956, at age 22, Archibald Bruce inherited Duntreath Castle.

As soon as he inherited the property, he demolished most of it. On the family's website the excuse given is because of the high cost of heating after the war. In 2 years he destroyed 75% of the castle.

He could have closed most of the castle and only heated a part of it. In 1947 Violet Keppel, after inheriting Villa de Ombrellino, closed most of the Villa and only lived in part of it.

I literally get sick each time I see a photograph of what the castle has been reduced to by Archibald Bruce. Just the sight of Bruce turns my stomach.

Before Bruce:
http://www.edmonstone.com/images/ed006.jpg

After Bruce standing infront of his 'masterpiece':
http://www.edmonstone.com/images/ed007.jpg

Edmonstone website with history of family & Duntreath Castle:
Welcome to the official Edmonstone of Duntreath Family Site

Duntreath photgraphs from 1898:
Site Record for Duntreath Castle Details Details

Last edited:
Next month, the couple [Jake Astor and Victoria Hargreaves] will be back in Blighty for their own nuptials, with a Downing Street pre-wedding reception on September 11 — laid on by Sam Cam. The date coincides with the memorial service for Mark Shand, younger brother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, at St Paul’s Church in Knightsbridge, and many guests are expected to attend both gatherings.
SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Double date for an Astor as Sam Cam's half brother prepares to wed fiancee | Mail Online

Thanks Spheno for the information.

September 11th was also the date of his father's memorial service which was also held at St Paul’s Church in Knightsbridge.

Camilla's childhood home is up for sale.

The Laines on Plumpton Lane, in Plumpton, Lewes, East Sussex is back on the market after 18 years.

The 7 bedrooms 5.1* bath sits on 5.3 acres. The property also has a detached 4 bedroom 1.1 bath cottage and a 1 bed 1 bath chalet.

Comes with swimming pools, tennis court and walled garden.

Asking price is £3,250,000.

Camilla's dad sold the house for £730,000 on 14th Nov 1996.

Some of the rooms look like the wall coverings are the same as when the Shands lived there.

Floor plans and pictures are included for interested parties.
(4 full, 1 shower & 1 powder room)
7 bedroom character property for sale in Plumpton Lane, Plumpton, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 3AJ, BN7#

Savills | Plumpton Lane, Plumpton, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 3AJ | Property for sale

Last edited:
Camilla's childhood home is up for sale.

The Laines on Plumpton Lane, in Plumpton, Lewes, East Sussex is back on the market after 18 years.

The 7 bedrooms 5.1* bath sits on 5.3 acres. The property also has a detached 4 bedroom 1.1 bath cottage and a 1 bed 1 bath chalet.

Comes with swimming pools, tennis court and walled garden.

Asking price is £3,250,000.

Camilla's dad sold the house for £730,000 on 14th Nov 1996.

Some of the rooms look like the wall coverings are the same as when the Shands lived there.

Floor plans and pictures are included for interested parties.
(4 full, 1 shower & 1 powder room)
7 bedroom character property for sale in Plumpton Lane, Plumpton, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 3AJ, BN7#

Savills | Plumpton Lane, Plumpton, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 3AJ | Property for sale

Now that is a lovely home to grow up.

:previous: I agree, it's a very nice home.

Read the story. It was written by Christopher Wilson.

He debunks the story that Camilla's dad made Charles cry. (It has been a while but I'm sure he is probably the one that spread the story in the first place.)

Mark is supposed to have told the story of trying to kill a sister but never named which one. I like how the Daily Mail assumes it is Camilla. (Richard Kay also assumes it is Camilla.)

Pictures of Camilla, Mark and Annabel do not show any of them overweight.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...REI/AAAAAAAAako/ytyQ7WLR5Ww/s400/P1010679.JPG

That was a lovely tribute.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

What a wonderful article on the Duchess' so beloved brother.

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall unveils a memorial to brother Mark Shand at his old primary school | Daily Mail Online

His nephew Luke Irwin was also there and said that his uncle’s years at St Ronan’s were 'idyllic and the happiest of his scholastic life'.

He added: 'I miss him so much but I do know that nothing would have given him greater pleasure or a higher honour than having a pitch at St Ronan’s named after him. It will be a day the children will remember and we are very honoured.'

Luke Irwin is married to Mark's niece, Alice.

Last edited:
Great pictures. To me it is a pity that Camilla was at this event rather than the state banquet.

The State Banquet clashed with Tom's event. Also, she and Charles probably weren't scheduled to attend the State Visit and Banquet. They would've been there if it was in their schedule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom