Family of the Duchess of Cornwall 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take your pick:-

1. Its as you suggest an ordinary safety pin to stop his tie flapping
2. He's lost a button off his shirt and (see 1) doesnt want his tie to flap
3. It's a "fun" precious metal tie pin.

I always feel sorry for APB - since his wife died he always seems lost and looks slightly shambolic.

He may look lost but he's got his family around him and he have Camilla. Despite everything, they remain very close and fond of each other.

Feel very sorry for Camilla, it's awful to have to say goodbye to a sibling especially if you have been very close. Been in her shoes. Must be the first time I have ever seen Prince Charles show any PDA...so lovely and comforting for Camilla.

Mark may have requested that people not wear black and to wear something whimsical.

The women in his life wore:
Ayesha wore a polka dot/diamond top with a long purple & orange skirt with a Eastern wedding type head band.

Camilla wore a blue & white polka dot/diamond suit with a blue scarf tied around it.

Annabel wore a blue dress/skirt with a bright pink scarf and a dark blue jacket.

Laura wore a striped skirt with a blue or black top & a blue or black jacket and red shoes.

Katie Elliot wore a diamond & polka dot coat.

Alice Irwin wore a blue dress with a bright pink sash. (To match her mother.)

Clio wore a red leaf dress on a black background.

Talitha wore a pale green pants with matching top.

The men were a bit more subtle.
Prince Charles wore a blue suit with a polka dotted handkerchief.
Tom Parker Bowles wore a blue suit.
Ben Elliot wore a blue suit.
Tom Lopes wore a blue suit.
Luke Irwin look like he's in a black suit.
APB blue suit with a safety pin as a tie clip.

:previous: Wow! Now that is what I call a Tribute!

Lovely tribute. He seemed liked he truly enjoyed life. Very strange though the lack of attendance of other royals.

Lovely tribute. He seemed liked he truly enjoyed life. Very strange though the lack of attendance of other royals.

I don't find it odd at all. I would imagine that the rest of the BRF (other than William and Harry who are in the US) never really met or interacted with Mr. Shand. From the sounds of it, it seems to me to have been a small, private service for those close to Mark.

There is no reason for Prince William and Prince Henry to attend Mark Shand's funeral. They accepted their father's new wife. It does not mean that they are obliged to attend Camilla's, Duchess of Cornwall, family gatherings of any kind

I wasn't even thinking about W & H, or even the Queen and Philip. Seriously not one single royal attended. That indeed is a bit strange to me. Wasn't Eugenie at the Event he had?

it seems to me to have been a small, private service for those close to Mark.

and I get that, still find it strange.

There is no reason for Prince William and Prince Henry to attend Mark Shand's funeral. They accepted their father's new wife. It does not mean that they are obliged to attend Camilla's, Duchess of Cornwall, family gatherings of any kind

Cold, they attending her daughter and son weddings. I'm not here for this, I'm just saying I found it a bit strange.

If Prince Charles' sons chose to attend the weddings of Camilla's, Duchess of Cornwall, children in 2005 and 2006, they had their reasons or were persuaded to do so or ..., perhaps, it was just a PR move to show the family unity. By the way, Prince Charles and Mrs. Parker Bowles were married in 2005.
Now both gentlemen have their own life and plans. There is no need for PR event to show the unity and support. It is Prince Charles' job to console his current spouse. It may seem strange to you though.

Last edited:
OK, let's move on NOT. IN. THE. MOOD. In fact delete the post.

Sorry mods.

Cold, they attending her daughter and son weddings. I'm not here for this, I'm just saying I found it a bit strange.
Yesterday William, Harry and Eugenie were in US. I think they will attend a Memorial Service for Mark Shand.

Last edited:

I think it's easy for people to read into William and Harry's actions continued anti-Camilla feelings, but I tend to suspect that's more owing to their own continued anti-Camilla feelings than anything else.

It's likely that attending the funeral didn't work out well with William and Harry's plans to travel to the US for Guy's wedding. While they could have delayed their trip a bit, the more royal presence at the funeral the more unnecessary public attention is drawn to it, and the more it becomes about them and less about the deceased.

In choosing not to go, the Cambridges and Harry can be seen as being prudent. They're not making last minute changes to travel plans (which can get pricey), and they're not stealing the limelight from Camilla's family. This in and of itself is paying huge respect to the Shands.

For the other royals, it becomes a question of if they knew Mark and how well they did. We don't know that Camilla's extended family is particularly close to Charles' extended family, so the absence of other royals could simply be that they don't feel it's their place to attend this, or that they don't feel they were close enough to Mark to justify everything that their presence here would entail.

Sounds as if the funeral is more of a private event, and the Memorial Service is more of a "public" or larger event where we might see more of a royal presence.

That actually seems the norm for a lot of high profile people. A small, private funeral for family and close friends to grieve followed at a later date by Memorial Service to "Celebrate" the life of the deceased. Covers all the bases.

As to William and Harry? Well their travel "arrangements" were made quite some time ago. It is not easy to change things at the drop of a hat ad it is not just the two brothers travelling to a foreign country to a private wedding. There are security issues that will have been taken care of concerning security and that probably includes members of US diplomatic liaisons and DPS that will travel with them. Just booking them all on the same flight would be a challenge.

This was Mark Shand's funeral. His next of kin was his daughter Ayesha.

Ayesha probably does not know William & Harry nor other members of the royal family.

Mark, also, probably did not know William & Harry. (Or maybe he didn't like them.)

Nancy Dell’Olio, his friend of 40 years, said on April 25th that the funeral would be a private family occasion and that she was not attending.

It would have been strange for any other member of the royal family to attend the funeral of someone they didn't know when people who have known him for 40 years didn't attend.

Mark wishes or Ayesha's are more important than someone speculating on why W&H didn't attend.

The memorial service on the other hand is a different story.
Sarah, Duchess of York may be there as she is one of the patrons of The Elephant Family.

Princess Eugenie works for the firm auctioning the eggs from The Easter Hunt.

Last edited:
I think it's easy for people to read into William and Harry's actions continued anti-Camilla feelings, but I tend to suspect that's more owing to their own continued anti-Camilla feelings than anything else.

It's likely that attending the funeral didn't work out well with William and Harry's plans to travel to the US for Guy's wedding. While they could have delayed their trip a bit, the more royal presence at the funeral the more unnecessary public attention is drawn to it, and the more it becomes about them and less about the deceased.

In choosing not to go, the Cambridges and Harry can be seen as being prudent. They're not making last minute changes to travel plans (which can get pricey), and they're not stealing the limelight from Camilla's family. This in and of itself is paying huge respect to the Shands.

For the other royals, it becomes a question of if they knew Mark and how well they did. We don't know that Camilla's extended family is particularly close to Charles' extended family, so the absence of other royals could simply be that they don't feel it's their place to attend this, or that they don't feel they were close enough to Mark to justify everything that their presence here would entail.

There are many ways of looking at this. People have their own personal, and varied, attitudes to funerals. Some think it is important to attend the funerals of acquaintances as a sign of respect, others only go to the funerals of close friends and relatives. I am inclined to think that the royals are only likely to have gone to this private funeral if they knew Mark well. In the case of William and Harry there is the added connection through marriage, and, in view of their stated views about conservation, I would have hoped William, particularly, would have attended if he had been available in view of his close association with "Tusk". I assume his dedication to the protection and conservation of elephants is not limited to those in Africa.

As for drawing publicity to the funeral, I think that would actually have been welcome in that it would also draw publicity towards the cause to which Mark devoted his life, and could attract lots of very welcome donations to his charity.

ETA, having read Queen Camilla's post, the wishes of the next of kin should be respected though and outweigh anyone else's.

Last edited:
There are many ways of looking at this. People have their own personal, and varied, attitudes to funerals. Some think it is important to attend the funerals of acquaintances as a sign of respect, others only go to the funerals of close friends and relatives. I am inclined to think that the royals are only likely to have gone to this private funeral if they knew Mark well. In the case of William and Harry there is the added connection through marriage, and, in view of their stated views about conservation, I would have hoped William, particularly, would have attended if he had been available in view of his close association with "Tusk". I assume his dedication to the protection and conservation of elephants is not limited to those in Africa.

As for drawing publicity to the funeral, I think that would actually have been welcome in that it would also draw publicity towards the cause to which Mark devoted his life, and could attract lots of very welcome donations to his charity.

ETA, having read Queen Camilla's post, the wishes of the next of kin should be respected though and outweigh anyone else's.

You bring up an interesting point that I didn't consider before. In the larger scheme, bringing attention to the passing of a man who was so deeply involved in a cause that depends at least partially on the charity of others isn't a bad thing, as it can lead to an increase in support for that charity.

However, the pessimist in me feels that if the Cambridges and/or Harry were to attend something like Mark Shand's funeral - or even the public memorial - then the attention would be on them. In the public eye, things cease to be about the man who died and become about the young royals attending. Consider the buzz around the wedding right now; the fact that Harry is at a friend's wedding is pretty much an afterthought in articles reporting on the prince's antics in Memphis. I think if William or Harry attended it wouldn't be about them attending the funeral of their step-uncle, but rather fuel to some commentary on the ways in which Camilla is pushing the memory of Diana out of the picture, or something (even their absence has been taken to mean that). If Catherine attended it would be about what she was wearing, how long her hemline was, and what she did or didn't do with her hair.

Queen Camilla's post is important as well, although I will say that we don't know that Mark didn't know William and Harry or that Ayesha doesn't know them. They may have chosen not to attend purely because they weren't asked because they're not family, or they may be considered family but chose not to attend because of other reasons. We don't actually know.

The date of the funeral nor the place was released by the family. It was meant as a private family event.

They were not interested in publicity for themselves or the charity. It was a time to grieve over a loved one and not a royal event.

The memorial service will be a more public event & even then I do not expect William nor Harry to be there.

Mark had a life that didn't revolve around the royal family

Ayesha was raised in Rome and Mark lived mostly in India and Rome with visits for his charity to London & New York.

When he was in the U.K. it was for his charity or to visit his family.

There is not a single image of Mark nor Ayesha with W&H at C&C's wedding or at Laura's wedding nor anytime.

W&H were not friends nor family of Mark Shand & Ayesha.
They are the grown stepchildren of his sister/aunt.

I would not expect Catherine to be at the funeral nor the memorial service even though, at the time of her wedding to William, she was listed as a friend of Katie Elliot. (Catherine does not have a direct relationship to the deceased nor to his next of kin. She is a friend of his niece.)

At Laura's wedding, Catherine was photographed with Katie.

Last edited:
:previous:

Sound, common sense approach. I agree 100%. Thank you

Although I wouldn't "expect" for W&H&C to attend, I wouldn't be surprised if they attended out of respect for Camilla.

It's not as if the brothers do not speak to Charles and Camilla. They can simply ask, "Would you like us to be there for you and the family?" I've found this to be a simple, effective, caring way to approach these kinds of questions when I am not close to the honoree.
Sometimes the family gives me a pass, sometimes they let me know I can help with seating or chatting up attendees.

I do have to say, though, that given the elephant connection (though Asian elephant, in Mark's case), I would be surprised that the Duke of Cambridge did not know Mark, personally. It's possible, just surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom