Family of the Duchess of Cornwall 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear. I hope he will be fine. Didn't Princess Anne and her family attend too? I hope they will stay fine too.

Zara and Anne were photographed with Andrew the first day of the event. And Peter and Autumn, and Mike, were all there over the days.

I was surprised to read the news. Both Camilla's husband and ex-husband have been struck. Hopefully Andrew makes a good recovery like Charles has. But he is older and I am not sure if he is as healthy as Charles is either.

For the sake of her kids and grandkids, it cant be too easy on Camilla worried about him after her concern for Charles.

Charles, Andrew PB, and the Brooksbanks. The royal family certainly has been hit, even if just on the extensions with exception to Charles.

Victoria Arbiter wrote a column for Honey Channel 9 on Mark Shand (conservationist and author) and how Charles & Camilla are keeping his legacy alive.

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/ma...-brother/2d8cf3e0-500f-498b-aa88-4c708c65bd4e

Such a moving article. I’m so sorry that Mark Shand died so young, that Camilla lost a beloved brother and the elephants a loving advocate. She’s doing her brother proud...It hurts to read about the poor elephants being abused and slaughtered

I would love to see a definitive deep dive into the life of Camilla's paternal grandmother, Edith Marguerite "Margot" Harrington Shand Tippet. Accounts of her actions as a mother vary drastically, and at least some of them - including, traditionally, the most prominent ones - are definitely untrue. I have an impression the last decades of her life consisted of poverty and loneliness, but I would love to be wrong.

She's frequently been described as abandoning her son after her divorce and her move to the US with the golf course designer. The Daily Mail has said this, at least one book I've read has said it, and apparently - though I haven't read it - Bruce Shand gave the impression that this was the case in his memoirs. Whether he meant to do so or whether it's just that his wording accidentally gave the wrong impression, I'm not sure.

However, passenger manifests definitely confirm he sailed into New York with her, arriving in first class on the Cedric in 1921 and the Carmania in 1923 (thanks, StatueofLiberty.org!). Accounts agree that the Depression ended his stepfather's design career, and the family returned to England so he could take up much more modest golf club administration work.

Sources seem to agree that Bruce's father Philip was always absent from his life, but his education - beginning with Rugby School - was paid for by Philip's parents. It's frequently claimed that, after the return to Britain, he spent more time with his paternal grandparents than with his mother. This might explain why he might have been turned against his mother (if he indeed was), however his stepfather's Wikipedia page claims that the Tippets and the elder Shands remained friends, and that his paternal grandmother even moved in with his mother and stepfather after being widowed.

I haven't seen anything to indicate Bruce's stepfather wasn't a decent guy. He served his country as a soldier and seems to have worked hard. However, he wasn't financially successful. Sources also agree that Bruce's mother was left very badly off after her husband died in 1947. Wikipedia puts the value of his estate at 666 pounds. She spent her life thereafter about an hour away from her son's home, and I would love to think she was included in his family circle.

Her character and her relationship with her son are definitely murky, and it would be nice to see this cleared up.

This might explain why he might have been turned against his mother (if he indeed was), however his stepfather's Wikipedia page claims that the Tippets and the elder Shands remained friends, and that his paternal grandmother even moved in with his mother and stepfather after being widowed.

Yes, the 1939 England & Wales National Register shows Bruce's paternal grandmother August Shand living with his mother Edith and stepfather Charles Tippets at Walton-on-the-Hill, Surrey where Charles was secretary for a golf club.

Last edited:
Yes, the 1939 England & Wales National Register shows Bruce's paternal grandmother August Shand living with his mother Edith and stepfather Charles Tippets at Walton-on-the-Hill, Surrey where Charles was secretary for a golf club.

Thank you for confirming that! There's something touching about that arrangement.

I've wondered if her son assisted her financially in later years. If there was such a close relationship, perhaps other Shands did as well.

Andrew Parker Bowles was seen at the Cheltenham Festival with Princess Anne and husband Tim today, March 17:

** gtresnews gallery **

I was chatting to a lady earlier today at my local book group and our discussion led from lambing season which is in full flight here, and she casually mentioned non born royals with royal links, and we talked of the usual suspects and then she said well Camilla is related to prince Henrik of Denmark, apparently HRH former sisters-in-law Cleo Goldsmith’s mother is married to Jean-baptiste de Monpezat (late Prince Consorts brother), I do love a random conversation. Probably common knowledge but new to me

I was chatting to a lady earlier today at my local book group and our discussion led from lambing season which is in full flight here, and she casually mentioned non born royals with royal links, and we talked of the usual suspects and then she said well Camilla is related to prince Henrik of Denmark, apparently HRH former sisters-in-law Cleo Goldsmith’s mother is married to Jean-baptiste de Monpezat (late Prince Consorts brother), I do love a random conversation. Probably common knowledge but new to me

I didn't know that. It's interesting information. I'll have to investigate further on this.

This site says that Jean Baptiste de Laborde de Monpezat is married to Isabelle Vilgrain.

https://gw.geneanet.org/sergeclaude...cz=0&p=jean+baptiste&n=de+laborde+de+monpezat

Last edited:
I didn't know that. It's interesting information. I'll have to investigate further on this.

This site says that Jean Baptiste de Laborde de Monpezat is married to Isabelle Vilgrain.

https://gw.geneanet.org/sergeclaude...cz=0&p=jean+baptiste&n=de+laborde+de+monpezat

Clio's French wikipedia page mentions that her mother Gillian Pretty remarried comte Jean-Baptiste de Laborde de Monpezat. So, the connection to Camilla is that her brother's second wife's (now divorced) mother was married to prince Henrik's brother at some point.

Family of Queen Camilla

It's time to close this thread. You can find the new one here.

Last edited:
I knew bits and pieces about her Keppel connections but just seen the following names in her Tree and all very interesting!
Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond
George Gordon, 1st Duke of Gordon
Archibald Campbell, 1st Marquess of Argyll
Edward Sutton , 5th Lord Dudley
Alexander Home, 5th Lord Home
George Gordon, 1st Marquess of Huntly
Lady Henrietta Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom