The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I didn't know her father fought at El Alamein. That is so cool!
The Telegraph obituary of Major Bruce Shand covers his war service and exploits in detail.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The Telegraph obituary of Major Bruce Shand covers his war service and exploits in detail.
Thank you so much for the article! I read extensively about the goings on with the Windsors about a decade ago and I'm rusty. I haven't kept up with the current goings-on except through a little here and there. This is lovely! Thanks!

Old 11-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Commoner

Camilla's Children's Jobs

Hi, purely out of couriosity, what are the Occupations of the Son and Daughter of the Duchess of Cornwall, I know the Son's name is Tom, but sorry, I'm unaware of the Daughter's name!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Aristocracy

(Copied from Wikipedia entries, have not verified these to be correct independently)

In 1973, the then-Camilla Shand married Andrew Parker Bowles, a Roman Catholic. They had two children together, Tom, born in 1974 and a godson of Prince Charles, and Laura, born in 1978. The children were both raised as Roman Catholics. Tom attended Eton, while Laura attended the Roman Catholic St Mary's Convent School, Shaftesbury. Andrew and Camilla were divorced on 3 March 1995

Thomas Henry "Tom" Parker Bowles (born 18 December 1974 in London, England)[1] is the son of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (formerly Camilla Parker Bowles) and Andrew Parker Bowles. His stepfather and godfather is HRH Prince Charles, Prince of Wales. His younger sister is Laura Lopes and his stepbrothers are Prince William and Prince Harry of Wales. He is a food columnist and television presenter, as well as the author of two books about food.

Laura Rose Lopes (née Parker Bowles) (born 1978) is the daughter of The Duchess of Cornwall and Andrew Parker Bowles. Her older brother is Tom Parker Bowles. Her stepfather is The Prince of Wales.
Laura Parker Bowles was educated at St Mary's, Shaftesbury, Dorset, a Roman Catholic convent school. She and her brother, Tom, were raised Roman Catholics, as their father, and particularly their paternal grandmother, the late Dame Ann Parker Bowles (née de Trafford), were Roman Catholics.
Following a gap year backpacking through South America, Laura Parker Bowles attended Oxford Brookes University, where she studied history. She manages a London art gallery.
She married Harry Lopes, a grandson of the 2nd Baron Roborough and the 2nd Baron Astor of Hever, on 6 May 2006 in St. Cyriac's Anglican Church, Lacock, Wiltshire. Laura wore a diamond tiara on her wedding day that belongs to her mother's family. Her closest family and friends attended the ceremony and reception, to include Kate Middleton, the now ex-girlfriend of stepbrother Prince William. Additional guests were Lord and Lady Howe, Lady Sarah Chatto, to make a total of 400 guests. The reception was held at Ray Mill, the nearby estate of the bride's mother.
Harry Lopes, formerly an underwear model for Calvin Klein, is a graduate of the University of Edinburgh and is now a chartered accountant. Lopes is an Old Etonian who stands to inherit Gnaton Hall, Devonshire as well as the 3,000-acre (12 km²) Skelpick estate in the Highlands, Scotland.
In July 2007, Laura announced to News of the World that she and Lopes were expecting their first child, anticipated for January 2008.

I hope this answers your question.
Welcome aboard!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Simply put, Thomas Henry Parker Bowles is a food writer. He writes a column for Tatler and has authored two books. Wife Sara Buys is fashion features editor for Harper's & Queen.

Laura Rose Parker Bowles Lopes runs an art gallery in Belgravia. Husband Harry Lopes, an Old Etonian like Tom, is an accountant.

Laura's gallery exhibited photographs by Norman Parkinson in July this year. Camilla attended the opening for this exhibit, as did Philip Treacy and his dogs. So apparently Laura's gallery has a pet-friendly policy. The gallery is called Eleven Fine Art, because the address is 11 Eccleston Street. It has a website: Eleven Fine Art - Home
Old 01-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Serene Highness

Camilla's Children

My question is, I wonder now that both of Camilla's have children, if they kind of wished that their mother had stayed a private citizen. Every girl needs her mother to help when a new baby come, especially the first one and I wonder if Camilla can be around them as much as she wants or hopes or as much as her children would like now that she has a "job".
I know they want her to be happy but it isn't like she married the man up the road, she married the furture King and inherited an entire nation.
I just wonder sometimes if her children feel left out?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I would think that Camilla has discussed the matter with her children before the engagement was announced. And I believe their wishes were top-priority for her as a mother.

However, I don't think there is any such problem for Tom & Laura: by all accounts, they are pretty confident and bright people, who seem to be happy with their lives.
Tom is a successful author, so he is more in the spotlight, but Laura seems to want a private life, and she gets it: you don't see her in the news often, unless it is somehow connected with the Duchess.

For more information about Tom & Laura, you can visit their respective threads:

Tom Parker Bowles, Sara Buys & Family
Baby Girl for Tom Parker Bowles and Sara Buys: Lola, born October 2007

Laura & Harry Lopes and Family
Laura & Harry Lopes welcomed a daughter: January 17, 2008
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

i'd be surprised if they felt left out, from what i've read they seem to be a thriving blended family. i've seen Tom on TV and he seems a really funny, happy guy that anyone would enjoy being around. Laura seems to have a lively, happy personality and lovely to know. now with the grand girls(which i'm sure the POW is thrilled about since he had boys) i'd bet they are all closer than ever. they have all the privacy they need at Raymill to still be "normal" with their mum. i would expect they are invited to most things but only go to the "have to" things especially now with the babies.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
My question is, I wonder now that both of Camilla's have children, if they kind of wished that their mother had stayed a private citizen. Every girl needs her mother to help when a new baby come, especially the first one and I wonder if Camilla can be around them as much as she wants or hopes or as much as her children would like now that she has a "job".
I know they want her to be happy but it isn't like she married the man up the road, she married the furture King and inherited an entire nation.
I just wonder sometimes if her children feel left out?
I think this is an interesting one. Camilla probably does not see as much of her children now as she did before she and Charles were married. That said, I am sure she makes herself available to her children as any other "working" mother would. Just as an example, she has not been seen very much in 2008, and I suspect she is spending quality time with Laura and the new baby. Similarly, when Tom and Sara had their daughter, I am sure Camilla visited them often.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:20 AM
Royal Highness

Andrew Parker Bowles sues Standard over Camilla holiday story
May 12

Andrew Parker Bowles is suing the Evening Standard for alleged breach of privacy over a story involving his former wife Camilla.
He claims that a story in the Evening Standard suggesting he was going on holiday to Antigua with his ex wife, now the Duchess of Cornwall, was a misuse of private information.

Press Gazette - Andrew Parker Bowles sues Standard over Camilla holiday story
Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Laura Rose Parker Bowles Lopes runs an art gallery in Belgravia. Husband Harry Lopes, an Old Etonian like Tom, is an accountant.
Maybe one should add that Harry Lopes, though he once was a model for underwear and is now an accountant, will in time being the 7th Baronet Lopes and 4th Baron Roborough, that his mother is an Astor from the American Astors of Waldorf Astoria-fame, that his direct ancestors include The Duke of Abercorn, The Duke of Bedford, The Duke of Gordon, The Duke of Richmond, The Earl Haig, The Earl of Minto, The Earl of Mount Edgcombe, The Earl of Albemarle, Viscount Astor, Baron Winmarleigh, Baron Churston, Baron Astor to name but a few.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Pathetic apology IMO

Andrew Parker Bowles| News | This is London
Old 05-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Nobility

Yes indeed. Usually very small print and as a column filler on an inside page, where hopefully it will be overlooked by the average reader.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Administrator

But quite possibly a cheque's in the mail headed the Brigadier's way.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
But quite possibly a cheque's in the mail headed the Brigadier's way.
In that case it would have to be a big cheque to keep that out of court.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Royal Highness

Ben Elliot
May 22

In 2000, British aristocrat Ben Elliot and his partners started Quintessentially, which they conceived as a luxury concierge service for their posh friends in London. (...)
Their success is largely due to the 31-year-old Elliot, whose seething ambition is masked by an understated charm and a knack for attracting press as one of Britain's more eligible bachelors. It doesn't hurt that he has dated a glittering array of models and starlets, and that his aunt is Camilla Parker-Bowles, otherwise known as the future Queen of England.

Ben Elliot: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance
Old 05-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002 View Post
What an interesting history.

Especially the part about Edward VII and Alice Keppel.

I wonder if any of charles' & Camilla's future decendents have the same love story.....say in a hundred years.
Alice Keppel just happened to be that last in a long line of mistresses.
He must have been old when she happened a long. His dog Caesar went to another mistress Lily Langtry. In fact as his coronation he had a special gallery for his mistresses and some witty being called it his "loose box".
Old 06-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Nobility

Shand/Shand-Kydd

I was wondering whether or not Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall (nee Shand) was in any way related to Diana, Princess of Wales' step-father, Peter Shand-Kydd.

Frances Spencer, Viscountess Althorp, started an affair with teh former sheep farmer and heir to a wallpaper fortune, Peter Shand-Kydd. After leaving her family Frances married Peter in 1969. She died in 2003, and he died in 2006.

Camilla's father, Bruce, (an army officer and wine merchant) was born in London, to Phillip Shand, and married Rosalind Maud Cubitt in 1946.

Coincidentally, after the Shand Kydd's married, they lived in Sussex, where Camilla spent her youth.

I realize that surnames really don't mean much of anything, but it is just an interest of mine...

Old 06-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Royal Highness

Peter Shand-Kydd wasn't just a sheep farmer--he was also the an heir to a wallpaper fortune.
I never really noticed the connection in the names, though. I believe that Shand is a Scottish desent name, though. That would be very interesting if a family connection was discovered between Camilla and Diana.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 06-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
You might want to take a look at this Yahoo! Question/Answers page. Diana, Camilla and Sarah Ferguson are in fact (very) distant cousins since all are descendant from Charles Lennox.

So it was a right guess even if I doubt the name Shand has got something to do with it.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...

Tags
alice keppel, camilla, camilla's family, duchess of cornwall, sonia keppel