The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2015, 09:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

As Annabel Elliot auctions a specially designed tuk tuk to raise money for her late brother Mark Shand’s elephant charity, she tells Joy Lo Dico about royalty, family and Prince George’s parting-
Annabel Elliot on raising money for her brother Mark Shand's elephant charity and being so proud of her sister Camilla - London Life - Life & Style - London Evening Standard

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-04-2015, 01:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Camilla's ex is 30 million dollar man: Astounding sum for Lucian Freud's 'insolent' portrait of Andrew Parker Bowles-
Lucian Freud's 'insolent' portrait of Andrew Parker Bowles to be sold for $30m | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-04-2015, 04:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Why would someone pay 30 million US Dollar for what is essentially just a personal depiction -on canvas- of a friend?
Old 10-04-2015, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Hmmm. Same reason someone would pay $208,000,000 for a 102 year old painting depicting a French artist's impression - on canvas - of a misty pond of waterlilies, I suppose: because they want to, and they can.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I understand but what baffled me was that the painting’s late owner bought it as a gift for his first wife.

I mean: why would you give your wife a painting with a living army officer on it? It is a bit a weird gift, if you ask me.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I understand but what baffled me was that the painting’s late owner bought it as a gift for his first wife.

I mean: why would you give your wife a painting with a living army officer on it? It is a bit a weird gift, if you ask me.
Ooh! I didn't know that. I think it invites a bit of an enquiry into the relationship between said wife and said army officer. And perhaps said late owner and said artist.

Or perhaps the wife fancied those disturbing male nudes that Freud painted, and the husband felt that though he wanted to gift his wife with something she would like, but he couldn't stand to have one of those disturbing male nudes on his wall so he bought her a Freud portrait with some distinctive characteristics such as the disturbing pale blotches on the head, but fully clothed.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

Freud was bankable to rise in price. So a decent investment. It was no the market. And as portraits go, that one is not so bad!

Plus, it may have matched the sofa set.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Duchess of Cornwall's younger sister reveals their late brother Mark was 'a user and abuser'-
Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand 'was a user', SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE writes | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
For me personally, I think this article should never have been published. Sebastian Shakespeare isn't rated very high in my book and to me, it seems like he out to speak not only ill of the dead but to also pull a skeleton out of the Shand family's closet.

Many, many people can and do use recreational drugs without it becoming such a problem that it takes over one's life and I did really chuckle reading about Mark and his buddy dressing up in that armor as it is a temptation that a lot of big kids wouldn't resist.

Mark was an adventurer, humanitarian and a man with a deep commitment his friends, the elephant. He did live his life to the fullest. It is those accomplishments that should be focused on rather than his dalliances in drugs and alcohol.

Just my opinion of course.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-09-2015, 03:37 AM
Royal Highness

He used illegal drugs I'm glad it has come out.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-09-2015, 06:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, it was his sister that something about his use. Nothing shocking and really newsworthy though.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-09-2015, 06:05 AM
Heir Apparent

The adagium "Nothing but good about the deceased" apparently does not count for Mr Shand's sister...
Old 10-09-2015, 07:28 AM
Serene Highness

Insensitive AND disrespectul [both to the deceased and to those that mourn] .
Another triumph for gutter journalism... and a black mark for the sister...
Old 10-09-2015, 07:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Respect the memory of the dead do not say; His sister is an example to be avoided. It was not at all necessary that anymore. What is the relationship she have with Camilla;
Old 10-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Two posts have been deleted because they were empty posts and added absolutely nothing to the discussion. A further post has been edited to remove offensive language. Please be civil towards one another when discussing tabloid news stories and avoid disruptive language when expressing your opinions.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Mark was an adventurer, humanitarian and a man with a deep commitment his friends, the elephant. He did live his life to the fullest. It is those accomplishments that should be focused on rather than his dalliances in drugs and alcohol.
Nicely put.

The article is a non-event.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
For me personally, I think this article should never have been published. Sebastian Shakespeare isn't rated very high in my book and to me, it seems like he out to speak not only ill of the dead but to also pull a skeleton out of the Shand family's closet.

Just my opinion of course.
I will bet some money on it that the DM article has taken things out of context and the Vanity Fair article will tell a different story.

Just look at the DM headline vs the text.

Nothing like the accepted practice of trashing Camilla and her family. (Second story in 2 days....)

Any links to the Vanity Fair article?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I did not find the article neither 'trashing" nor disrespectful. Mark clearly lived his life in the fast lane and enjoyed a lifestyle that not everyone agrees with but often carried out by people in all walks of life. Doing cocaine have for a long time been obiquitous in the most upper echelon of society and it should not be a surprise that Mark may have indulged as well. The sister's comment of "user and abuser" sounds as if he was perhaps a spoiled brother with two adoring sisters. Add being chauvinistic, adventurous, charismatic and not lacking for money and there you have someone like Mark.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:33 PM
Serene Highness

Lord Howe of Aberavon, CH, QC, PC, died yesterday.
His wife, Lady Howe of Idlicote, is the paternal aunt of The Duchess of Cornwall.

Geoffrey Howe, former Conservative chancellor, dies aged 88 - BBC News

Geoffrey Howe - obituary - Telegraph

Lord Howe of Aberavon obituary | Politics | The Guardian

Geoffrey Howe dies aged 88: Former Chancellor whose savage speech led to Margaret Thatcher being toppled as PM - Mirror Online
Old 10-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Royal Highness

And now for something different :

Lucian Freud’s The Brigadier

Tags
alice keppel, camilla, camilla's family, duchess of cornwall, sonia keppel