The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Osteoporosis is not usually thought of as a disease of men, but it is not uncommon. I knew a fellow who suffered from it badly, and he was only in his early 50s if that.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
The Times & the Mirror headline focus on the thickness of his skull.

His skull was 1 milimetre thick in places.
Most men's skulls are over 6 milimetres thick.
In humans the thickness of the skull is different in different parts of the head.
It is particularly thin just to the side of the eyebrows - the 'pterion' - and underneath this thin part lies the middle meningeal artery.
A blow to this part of the skull can rupture this artery, leading to an extradural haematoma. This type of haematoma may be fatal - but there is often a 'lucid interval', where the patient is fine, before a rapid deterioration and death.

Sorry for the anatomy lesson! But thought it might be of interest.
(PS. I have no idea if this was the cause of Mr Shand's death)

Old 01-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I wonder, is a thin skull a sign of osteoporosis?
He had 2 hip replacements.

Leave it to the Daily Mail to trash.
Mark had 1/2 glass of champagne at 6:30pm
Mark had 2 or 3 whiskies prior to dinner around 10pm
Mark had 1 whiskey with dinner. (between 10pm -2:00am)
Mark had 1 whiskey at 2:30am.

In an 8 hours period he had 4-5 whiskies and 1/2 glass of champagne.

Oh and both the DM & Telegraph refer to his sister as Camilla Parker Bowles.
Hmm...this is the first I've heard or read the drinking. Doesn't that strike you as quite a lot of liquor to have consumed in the space of only eight hours?

Poor Mark. As another commenter on the DM site put it, his elephant friends will certainly miss him.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Hmm...this is the first I've heard or read the drinking. Doesn't that strike you as quite a lot of liquor to have consumed in the space of only eight hours?
No. Assuming we're talking standard drinks, it sounds quite restrained to me. It's less than one drink per hour.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Majesty

Wow...really? Perhaps because I rarely drink, I find it excessive. I've never tasted whiskey in my life, but something tells me that after 3-4 of them within eight hours I'd need to be hospitalized.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Wow...really? Perhaps because I rarely drink, I find it excessive. I've never tasted whiskey in my life, but something tells me that after 3-4 of them within eight hours I'd need to be hospitalized.
I think as a rule it takes the average person one hour to metabolize one shot of whiskey. From what I've seen, the spacing of the drinks shouldn't have presented a problem for Mark.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

I'd say the number of drinks had to have been estimated by those who were with him, so we don't really know how many and how large those drinks were. Sadly, the coroner concluded that alcohol was a major factor in his accident. He likely wouldn't have fallen if he hadn't been drinking. I think a man of 60 who's not driving can drink what he likes, so no moral opprobrium attaches to his actions.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Courtier

The list of drinks is from a witness who was with him, never a reliable source, IME. If I'm interpreting the toxicology numbers correctly his BA was .21, which is high. That equates to roughly 5 drinks in his system when the sample was taken. For a male 1 drink = approximately .04, depending on weight. Basic math is you excrete .02 per hour, so over 6 hours of drinking your body has metabolized .12 (3 drinks) thus he had probably drunk at least 8 drinks. That's assuming the BA is from blood drawn when he was admitted to the hospital and not @ the autopsy. If the latter his body would have had 9 more hours to metabolize alcohol before he died (and a BA of .39 a the time of the incident - highly unlikely IMO.)
Since he wasn't planning to drive, no big deal, except being inebriated may have caused the stumble leading to the fatal fall.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Poor Mark. As another commenter on the DM site put it, his elephant friends will certainly miss him.

That strikes me as a completely normal amount to drink when attending a gala party and having a night with friends, if you aren't planning to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-15-2015, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
That strikes me as a completely normal amount to drink when attending a gala party and having a night with friends, if you aren't planning to drive.
Spoken like a true fellow New Englander!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-16-2015, 12:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Spoken like a true fellow New Englander!

Ha! The winters get cold, we have to entertain ourselves somehow :)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 01-16-2015, 01:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
The list of drinks is from a witness who was with him, never a reliable source, IME. If I'm interpreting the toxicology numbers correctly his BA was .21, which is high. That equates to roughly 5 drinks in his system when the sample was taken. For a male 1 drink = approximately .04, depending on weight. Basic math is you excrete .02 per hour, so over 6 hours of drinking your body has metabolized .12 (3 drinks) thus he had probably drunk at least 8 drinks. That's assuming the BA is from blood drawn when he was admitted to the hospital and not @ the autopsy. If the latter his body would have had 9 more hours to metabolize alcohol before he died (and a BA of .39 a the time of the incident - highly unlikely IMO.)
Since he wasn't planning to drive, no big deal, except being inebriated may have caused the stumble leading to the fatal fall.
I think you need to recalculate based on Mark's body and the facts and not some random calculation.

Mark fell at 2:30am. He had 4-5 drinks between 10pm - 2:30am.
The blood sample was taken at the hospital before he died. According to his friend Mark isn't much of an eater. The eyewitness, Alexandra Bowes Lyon, was with him throughout the day.

Quote:
Medical AC results in serum and plasma samples are often
expressed in milligrams of alcohol per deciliter (mg/dL). Milligrams areconverted to grams by dividing by 1000. One dL = 100 mL.

Converting serum & plasma results to whole blood.

Since it represents the water portion of whole blood, serum or plasma will have a higher AC than the whole blood from which it is derived.This means that serum and plasma alcohol results must be reduced to obtain a whole blood equivalent.The average ratio of serum and plasma AC to whole blood AC is approximately 1.14:1 (range 1.04:1 – 1.26:1)

Old 01-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think you need to recalculate based on Mark's body and the facts and not some random calculation.
Wasn't looking to stir up anything.
Thanks for the info. about when the blood was drawn.
The BA was a .21, my quick ballpark estimate of what that translates to in number of drinks wasn't meant to be exact or offered as evidence in a criminal trial - if you want to come up with a different number based on assuming Mark weighed more or less or gulped his last drink (rising BA,) or that the BA is based on a plasma/serum sample rather than a blood draw, your numbers would be as valid. As I noted his weight could affect the number of drinks he had to drink to get to a .21 BA. The fact that he was male makes a difference as well, as does the drinking pattern (how fast, strength of drink, etc..)
Old 01-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

Regardess of how much he drank or over what period of time he drank, alcohol played a role in his death. He wasn't doing anything illegal, he was just having a good time, but he was very unlucky. No one need apologize for, nor rationalize, nor defend his behavior. His death was alcohol-related.

Quote:
However a blood sample taken from Mr Shand at the Bellevue Hospital Centre in New York showed he had 210 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood – more than twice the UK drink drive limit.

Sheriff Payne, the Dorset coroner, recorded a verdict of accidental death at the hearing in Bournemouth.

He stumbled back and fell straight back. He took one step but then he fell straight down rather than stumbled. He had seemed just like normal Mark up until then - it was very sudden
Mr Payne said: ‘The post-mortem examination showed there were no signs of a heart attack so sadly alcohol plays a prominent part in the outcome.
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Regardess of how much he drank or over what period of time he drank, alcohol played a role in his death. He wasn't doing anything illegal, he was just having a good time, but he was very unlucky. No one need apologize for, nor rationalize, nor defend his behavior. His death was alcohol-related.

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Well said, I agree.
I am curious about why there would be an inquest in the UK. Does this happen whenever a UK citizen dies in another country?
Old 01-16-2015, 04:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Well said, I agree.
I am curious about why there would be an inquest in the UK. Does this happen whenever a UK citizen dies in another country?
If the body is returned to the UK and the death falls into one of the categories requiring a coroner's investigation (including violent or unnatural death or unknown cause) then a coroner is required under the Coroner's Act to investigate.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Royal Highness

There is a video of him falling. He died 9 hours later in the hospital.

I too thought it was odd there was an inquest. It was an accident and the inquest concluded it was an accident. Seems to be a waste of time and money.

The inquest was held in Dorset. Mark actually didn't live in Dorset but in London. He stayed in Dorset when he visited his sister.

Due to his hip replacements, Mark had difficulty with some aspects of walking/turning. He talked about the limitations he encountered due to the hip replacements.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:41 AM
Royal Highness

In addition to his conservation work and trying to save the Asian elephants Mark was also patron of Anti-Slavery International.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Royal Highness

Free rides in Elephant Family rickshaw began on June 1st.

Free rides in Elephant Family rickshaws began on June 1st.

Goldie Hawn flies flag for endangered species with designer rickshaw fleet to save elephants - Celebrity news - News - London Evening Standard

Quote:
The rickshaws, which are UK road ready, have been sponsored by Selfridges and will be based outside some of London’s top locations such as The Goring, Rosewood London and Chiltern Firehouse.

Although the rides are free, the public will be asked to make a contribution to the charity set up by the Duchess of Cornwall’s brother.
Here are images of the rickshaws, who designed them and their location.
Rickshaws - travelstomyelephant.org

Timeline of events:
Quote:
The vehicles will be auctioned for the cause by Sotheby’s. Bids can be registered at the online platform, Paddle8, from June 8, with the live auction, hosted by the Prince of Wales and Camilla, on June 30.
Travels To My Elephant race will feature a different set of 30 rickshaws racing 500km across Madhya Pradesh to Tara’s home at Kipling Camp starting on November 1st.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The Duchess of Cornwall has a family connection to Waterloo: her great-great-great-grandfather John Whitehill Parsons fought in the battle with the 10th regiment of light dragoons.
Handshakes at Hougoumont after 200 years - Telegraph

Lt.-Col. John Whitehill Parsons
M, #29650, b. 1786, d. 21 April 1848
- Person Page 2965

Tags
alice keppel, camilla, camilla's family, duchess of cornwall, sonia keppel