The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Courtier

Sounds as if the funeral is more of a private event, and the Memorial Service is more of a "public" or larger event where we might see more of a royal presence.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

That actually seems the norm for a lot of high profile people. A small, private funeral for family and close friends to grieve followed at a later date by Memorial Service to "Celebrate" the life of the deceased. Covers all the bases.

As to William and Harry? Well their travel "arrangements" were made quite some time ago. It is not easy to change things at the drop of a hat ad it is not just the two brothers travelling to a foreign country to a private wedding. There are security issues that will have been taken care of concerning security and that probably includes members of US diplomatic liaisons and DPS that will travel with them. Just booking them all on the same flight would be a challenge.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Courtier

This was Mark Shand's funeral. His next of kin was his daughter Ayesha.

Ayesha probably does not know William & Harry nor other members of the royal family.

Mark, also, probably did not know William & Harry. (Or maybe he didn't like them.)

Nancy Dell’Olio, his friend of 40 years, said on April 25th that the funeral would be a private family occasion and that she was not attending.

It would have been strange for any other member of the royal family to attend the funeral of someone they didn't know when people who have known him for 40 years didn't attend.

Mark wishes or Ayesha's are more important than someone speculating on why W&H didn't attend.

The memorial service on the other hand is a different story.
Sarah, Duchess of York may be there as she is one of the patrons of The Elephant Family.

Princess Eugenie works for the firm auctioning the eggs from The Easter Hunt.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I think it's easy for people to read into William and Harry's actions continued anti-Camilla feelings, but I tend to suspect that's more owing to their own continued anti-Camilla feelings than anything else.

It's likely that attending the funeral didn't work out well with William and Harry's plans to travel to the US for Guy's wedding. While they could have delayed their trip a bit, the more royal presence at the funeral the more unnecessary public attention is drawn to it, and the more it becomes about them and less about the deceased.

In choosing not to go, the Cambridges and Harry can be seen as being prudent. They're not making last minute changes to travel plans (which can get pricey), and they're not stealing the limelight from Camilla's family. This in and of itself is paying huge respect to the Shands.

For the other royals, it becomes a question of if they knew Mark and how well they did. We don't know that Camilla's extended family is particularly close to Charles' extended family, so the absence of other royals could simply be that they don't feel it's their place to attend this, or that they don't feel they were close enough to Mark to justify everything that their presence here would entail.
There are many ways of looking at this. People have their own personal, and varied, attitudes to funerals. Some think it is important to attend the funerals of acquaintances as a sign of respect, others only go to the funerals of close friends and relatives. I am inclined to think that the royals are only likely to have gone to this private funeral if they knew Mark well. In the case of William and Harry there is the added connection through marriage, and, in view of their stated views about conservation, I would have hoped William, particularly, would have attended if he had been available in view of his close association with "Tusk". I assume his dedication to the protection and conservation of elephants is not limited to those in Africa.

As for drawing publicity to the funeral, I think that would actually have been welcome in that it would also draw publicity towards the cause to which Mark devoted his life, and could attract lots of very welcome donations to his charity.

ETA, having read Queen Camilla's post, the wishes of the next of kin should be respected though and outweigh anyone else's.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
There are many ways of looking at this. People have their own personal, and varied, attitudes to funerals. Some think it is important to attend the funerals of acquaintances as a sign of respect, others only go to the funerals of close friends and relatives. I am inclined to think that the royals are only likely to have gone to this private funeral if they knew Mark well. In the case of William and Harry there is the added connection through marriage, and, in view of their stated views about conservation, I would have hoped William, particularly, would have attended if he had been available in view of his close association with "Tusk". I assume his dedication to the protection and conservation of elephants is not limited to those in Africa.

As for drawing publicity to the funeral, I think that would actually have been welcome in that it would also draw publicity towards the cause to which Mark devoted his life, and could attract lots of very welcome donations to his charity.

ETA, having read Queen Camilla's post, the wishes of the next of kin should be respected though and outweigh anyone else's.
You bring up an interesting point that I didn't consider before. In the larger scheme, bringing attention to the passing of a man who was so deeply involved in a cause that depends at least partially on the charity of others isn't a bad thing, as it can lead to an increase in support for that charity.

However, the pessimist in me feels that if the Cambridges and/or Harry were to attend something like Mark Shand's funeral - or even the public memorial - then the attention would be on them. In the public eye, things cease to be about the man who died and become about the young royals attending. Consider the buzz around the wedding right now; the fact that Harry is at a friend's wedding is pretty much an afterthought in articles reporting on the prince's antics in Memphis. I think if William or Harry attended it wouldn't be about them attending the funeral of their step-uncle, but rather fuel to some commentary on the ways in which Camilla is pushing the memory of Diana out of the picture, or something (even their absence has been taken to mean that). If Catherine attended it would be about what she was wearing, how long her hemline was, and what she did or didn't do with her hair.

Queen Camilla's post is important as well, although I will say that we don't know that Mark didn't know William and Harry or that Ayesha doesn't know them. They may have chosen not to attend purely because they weren't asked because they're not family, or they may be considered family but chose not to attend because of other reasons. We don't actually know.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Courtier

The date of the funeral nor the place was released by the family. It was meant as a private family event.

They were not interested in publicity for themselves or the charity. It was a time to grieve over a loved one and not a royal event.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Courtier

The memorial service will be a more public event & even then I do not expect William nor Harry to be there.

Mark had a life that didn't revolve around the royal family

Ayesha was raised in Rome and Mark lived mostly in India and Rome with visits for his charity to London & New York.

When he was in the U.K. it was for his charity or to visit his family.

There is not a single image of Mark nor Ayesha with W&H at C&C's wedding or at Laura's wedding nor anytime.

W&H were not friends nor family of Mark Shand & Ayesha.
They are the grown stepchildren of his sister/aunt.

I would not expect Catherine to be at the funeral nor the memorial service even though, at the time of her wedding to William, she was listed as a friend of Katie Elliot. (Catherine does not have a direct relationship to the deceased nor to his next of kin. She is a friend of his niece.)

At Laura's wedding, Catherine was photographed with Katie.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Sound, common sense approach. I agree 100%. Thank you

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Courtier

Although I wouldn't "expect" for W&H&C to attend, I wouldn't be surprised if they attended out of respect for Camilla.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's not as if the brothers do not speak to Charles and Camilla. They can simply ask, "Would you like us to be there for you and the family?" I've found this to be a simple, effective, caring way to approach these kinds of questions when I am not close to the honoree.
Sometimes the family gives me a pass, sometimes they let me know I can help with seating or chatting up attendees.

I do have to say, though, that given the elephant connection (though Asian elephant, in Mark's case), I would be surprised that the Duke of Cambridge did not know Mark, personally. It's possible, just surprising.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Courtier

Mark felt the focus on the African elephant overshadowed the more endangered Asian elephant.
So, I don't think Mark would have looked favorably upon William.

“There are only 50,000 of them,” Shand said, “compared with half a million African ones. Yet bigger, uglier African elephants grab all the attention.”

Mark left the fauna-flora international charity to focus on the Asian elephant.

Mark Shand - obituary - Telegraph
Old 05-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Mark felt the focus on the African elephant overshadowed the more endangered Asian elephant.
So, I don't think Mark would have looked favorably upon William.

[/URL]
I cant imagine why he would not have looked favorably upon someone also helping elephants, even if it is on a different continent. I mean if it were King Juan Carlos who shoots elephants, I could see that being a problem.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Courtier

Girlfriend of Camilla's tragic brother Mark Shand leads tributes to him at fundraiser for endangered elephants held in his memory | Mail Online

Fundraising for Elephant Family held last week.

If this is indeed a direct quote from Ruth Powys no wonder Mark Shand broke up with her.

Everyone he would ever want to see, turned up.

His daughter and sisters did not attend.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Girlfriend of Camilla's tragic brother Mark Shand leads tributes to him at fundraiser for endangered elephants held in his memory | Mail Online

If this is indeed a direct quote from Ruth Powys no wonder Mark Shand broke up with her.

I really didn't find that too offensive but maybe a little bit odd. Perhaps her meaning was that the deep pockets he'd have liked to be there, were. His niece and nephew attended though and it was good to see the Kents there.

I especially loved the idea of Giant's Footsteps as a tribute to Mark Shand. Double meaning as in not only big elephant footprints but the footprints of a giant heart who's mission in life was to protect these wonderful animals.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I took it that the statement was directed at the particular audience and meant that everyone Mark would have hoped would attend the fundraiser did indeed come, with the implication that they would dig deep into their pockets and support the cause. I doubt it was directed at his siblings and daughter and close personal friends.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Courtier

SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: On parade for granny Camilla in a crown of her own | Mail Online
Old 07-14-2014, 12:18 AM
Courtier

Tom & Mark's joint article about their trip on the Queen Mary.

Tom & Mark's joint article about their trip on the Queen Mary. It's a lovely article with Mark mentioning his grandparents and the lost family fortunes.Aboard the Queen Mary 2 - Articles - Departures
Old 07-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Courtier

Destruction of Duntreath Castle

And lost family fortunes. In fact, that was our favorite topic: errant uncles who lost vast chunks of London, and grand titles disappearing off to distant (and, in our view, deeply undeserving) cousins.

I am trying to determine which uncles lost vast chunks of London.

The undeserving cousin, IMO, is Archibald Bruce Edmondstone who destroyed the family's ancestral home Duntreath Castle.

William Edmonstone (father of Alice Keppel nee Edmonstone) died in 1888. His 20 year old son Archibald (Archie) with his sister Alice continued the renovation of the castle that had begun by their grandfather and uncle.

In 1898, after the renovations, Duntreath Castle was photographed.

In 1923, Archie gave Duntreath Castle to his son Archibald Charles (Charlie) as a wedding gift when he married Gwendolyn Mary Fields, the granddaughter of Marshall Fields, the founder of the Chicago department store.

In 1954, both Archie & Charlie died and Archibald Bruce inherited Duntreath.

In 1956, at age 22, Archibald Bruce inherited Duntreath Castle.

As soon as he inherited the property, he demolished most of it. On the family's website the excuse given is because of the high cost of heating after the war. In 2 years he destroyed 75% of the castle.

He could have closed most of the castle and only heated a part of it. In 1947 Violet Keppel, after inheriting Villa de Ombrellino, closed most of the Villa and only lived in part of it.

I literally get sick each time I see a photograph of what the castle has been reduced to by Archibald Bruce. Just the sight of Bruce turns my stomach.

Before Bruce:
http://www.edmonstone.com/images/ed006.jpg

After Bruce standing infront of his 'masterpiece':
http://www.edmonstone.com/images/ed007.jpg

Edmonstone website with history of family & Duntreath Castle:
Welcome to the official Edmonstone of Duntreath Family Site

Duntreath photgraphs from 1898:
Site Record for Duntreath Castle Details Details
Old 07-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Courtier

Duntreath Castle pictures 1898 & today.
Site Record for Duntreath Castle Digital_images Digital_images#

The color one is an aerial view of what is left after Bruce's destruction.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Next month, the couple [Jake Astor and Victoria Hargreaves] will be back in Blighty for their own nuptials, with a Downing Street pre-wedding reception on September 11 — laid on by Sam Cam. The date coincides with the memorial service for Mark Shand, younger brother of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, at St Paul’s Church in Knightsbridge, and many guests are expected to attend both gatherings.
SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Double date for an Astor as Sam Cam's half brother prepares to wed fiancee | Mail Online

Tags
alice keppel, camilla, camilla's family, duchess of cornwall, sonia keppel