Duchy Originals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqueline

Courtier
1812princeb.jpg

With one in four British households sampling organic food, Prince Charles is well on the way to a right royal turnover.

Prince's organic food firm achieves record profit

PAUL GALLAGHER
Wed 18 Dec 2002

PRINCE Charles has announced record profits for his organic food business with sales up 50 per cent in the past year.

Duchy Originals now sells products worth £14 million a year and is on the way to becoming one of Britain’s leading producers of organic goods.

Accounts published yesterday reveal that a range of Christmas puddings and clothes made from natural wool have helped boost sales in the last year to produce profits of £634,620, an increase of 10 per cent.

When Duchy Originals was launched in 1990 with a commitment to natural agricultural products, few farmers saw it as a viable business and most observers regarded it as further evidence of the crankiness of the Prince of Wales.

The company failed to return a profit at all for the first five years it was trading but has capitalised on the growing demand for organic foods since then and its products can now be found on most supermarket shelves.

Duchy Originals, which mostly sells products grown on the Prince’s Highgrove estate, is the market leader in producing organic biscuits and also organic bacon and sausages.

Charles does not take any income from the business and all profits are handed over to the Prince of Wales Charitable Foundation, formerly the Prince of Wales Charities Trust. The business has contributed £1.5 million to the organisation over the past three years.

Guy McCracken, the company’s chairman, said: "Duchy Originals has made further steady progress towards our objective to be the UK’s leading premium organic food brand.

"Sales have increased by approximately 50 per cent due to the continued development of distribution and successful new product launches, including a Duchy Original Christmas range," Mr McCracken said.

Over the past year, Charles has announced plans to diversify the business by launching a "country casual" fashion label through Duchy Originals which would help revive the rural economy.

The label would only use wool supplied by British sheep farmers to make a range of sweaters, scarves and tweed suits.

He also has proposed the marketing of traditional garden furniture.

The most profitable item for Duchy Originals is Oaten Biscuits, which are made from organic oats bought from the Duchy of Cornwall’s own farm near Highgrove.

Overseas sales are particularly strong, with the Royal connection helping to secure contracts to supply dealers in the United States, France, Germany, Canada, Ireland and the Middle East.

Tesco, one of Duchy Original’s key customers, has estimated that sales of organic food will quadruple in its stores by 2005, and will be worth £1 billion to the supermarket chain.

Despite the higher cost of organic produce, the sector is growing at the rate of 40 per cent a year because of concerns over genetically modified crops and other food scares.

One in four households is now estimated to sample organic products on a regular basis but UK farmers have struggled to meet the demand and 70 per cent of organic goods sold is imported.

Link: http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/business.cfm?...m?id=1405572002

I just learned that Charles is involved in a company that sells ecological hygiene products. It was said by an authour of a new book in Sweden about 10 European princesses. It was a comment from her because they were discussing that crown princess Victoria's boyfriend Daniel Westling has his own business, and it was brought up to show that it isn't impossible for a crown prince to have a business.

I never heard this before, Prince Charles and a business that sells ecological hygiene products.

Can anyone enlighten me on this subject ?? Is it even true ??

Duchy Originals, the company Prince Charles started (best known for its organic biscuits), has recently developed a line of personal care products.

http://www.duchyoriginals.com/hair_home.htm

Profits from Duchy Originals products go to the Prince's charities.

Does the Duchy also sell Wine - is it wishful thinking , or am I dreaming?:D

I´m very interested in the `Duchy Original Cookbook`.
Has somebody of you read some of the recipes? I bought some Duchy products when i´m on holidays in the UK last month: biscuits, jam, tea...very delicious!
But what are Charles favorite meals and treats? I read about Balmoral honey cake, bread and butter pudding, apple crumble with highland shortbread, celery and stilton soup and sausages in organic mustard and honey...
I just try to imagine: Charles in the kitchen as a chef....:lol:

Prince approves Duchy recipe book

A recipe for a date and walnut cake loved by the late Queen Mother is among the culinary delights in a cookbook by Prince Charles' food business.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5388006.stm

HRH: kitchen secrets unscrambled

trans.gif
FOR A FOOD ENTHUSIAST and dyed-in-the-wool royalist such as me, it is hard to imagine a more exciting headline than the one in The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday, which ran: “Prince’s cookbook reveals secrets of royal kitchens.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,10653-2381432,00.html

:lol:

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
HRH: kitchen secrets unscrambled

trans.gif
FOR A FOOD ENTHUSIAST and dyed-in-the-wool royalist such as me, it is hard to imagine a more exciting headline than the one in The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday, which ran: “Prince’s cookbook reveals secrets of royal kitchens.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,10653-2381432,00.html

:lol:

That was a good one!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: - especially the idea about the next book. Thanks for the link! :flowers:

You are welcome Skydragon! :flowers:
Hope the weather will improove, even the images in TV are fightening, I can imagine what people in those affected areas feel. :ohmy:

A while go Sainsbury rejected vegetables from the Duchy of Cornwall (the posts about it - milla Ca's post, skydragon's post). Seems like they might have made the wrong decision after all! :rolleyes:

Rejected carrots 'absolutely delicious'

Carrots grown on the Prince of Wales' Duchy Estates which were rejected by Sainsbury's have been snapped up by organic food lovers.
Tons of carrots produced on the prince's own organic farms - together with carrots from a farm owned by Soil Association director Patrick Holden - were snubbed as not being good enough for Sainsbury's shelves.
But they have gone down a treat with customers of the Riverford Organic Vegetables, one of the UK's largest organic producers, who deliver boxes of vegetables all over England.
The Devon-based company bought 25 tonnes of carrots - five weeks supply - from Mr Holden and all were quickly sold.
"Our customers are very discerning people who demand tasty carrots and they absolutely loved them," said farm manager Andy Johnson
"In the end over half the crop were Grade A, and they looked and tasted fantastic. Not only was there nothing wrong with them - they were great."
Now the Duchy Estate, which had considered stopping growing carrots, has been commissioned to grow 40 tonnes for Riverford this autumn.

Thank you for posting, very good article Avalon!:flowers:
I always know that the Duchy carrots are the most delicious!:)
And i will not buy at Sainsbury´s again when i stay next time in the UK!:mad:

Yes, thank you for the article, I never doubted the organic produce from either place. I don't use Sainsbury's anyway! :lol:

I don't know any of the UK food brands, but I salute you for your buying organic. I started fairly recently buying organic and it is amazing how much better the food is. When you look at the ingredients of true organic (and not just the crap marketing "organic" stuff) it is so funny, like raspberry jam, I buy it now, it's a bit pricey but it is soooooooo delicious, I cannot tell you enough, and guess what? PURE raspberry jam, just raspberries, no preserves, nothing but raspberries, organically produced, no pesticides, no eco-damaging chemicals. And the taste is so awesome that I will never, ever be able to tolerate cheap artificial jam again. It is a crime the crap some companies shell out and sell, and then they try to bad-talk the organic people so that they don't lose business!! :bang: This is so why Prince Charles is the best royal prince ever. He is so good. You guys in Britain are so lucky. I wish the US had someone like him. Sure, we have Al Gore, he's cool, but he is politically out of the game for good. The Bush people took care of him. :angry::censored:

I agree completely about Prince Charles--his passion has helped to awaken the need for organic products England (and dare I say the world?) but I must say that Al Gore is not in Prince Charles' league-never has been, never will.

I have just visited the websites of Duchy of Cornwall and Duchy Orginals. I find them so beautiful and delighted to vist. And a lot of information on it. I am going to read the annual report of Duchy of Cornwall. I am glad they have it on the website. I just hope that one day if Duchy Orginals becomes a listed company, then we will have a chance to read their annual report.

Duchy of Cornwall
Duchy of Cornwall - Home Page - The Official Website for the Duchy of Cornwall

they have information about Camilla The Duchess of Cornwall as well.It is interesting.:)

Duchy Originals
Duchy Originals

there are some nice recipes on the website

Last edited:
I have just visited the websites of Duchy of Cornwall and Duchy Orginals. I find them so beautiful and delighted to vist. And a lot of information on it. I am going to read the annual report of Duchy of Cornwall. I am glad they have it on the website. I just hope that one day if Duchy Orginals becomes a listed company, then we will have a chance to read their annual report.

Duchy of Cornwall
Duchy of Cornwall - Home Page - The Official Website for the Duchy of Cornwall

they have information about Camilla The Duchess of Cornwall as well.It is interesting.:)

Duchy Originals
Duchy Originals

there are some nice recipes on the website

The asparagus soup sounds wonderful! I plan on making it this weekend.

The asparagus soup sounds wonderful! I plan on making it this weekend.

If you are intersted in healthy, organic cooking you should buy the ´´Duchy Originals Cookbook´´ ( with a foreword of the Prince of Wales). Many nice and also traditional recipes, right for a delicious Sunday lunch or dinner.:flowers:

If you get the chance to try any of the Duchy foods, (biscuits, soups, etc) don't miss it. They are absolutely delicious beyond words! :wub:
-----------------------------------------

Royal pledge as region braces itself for more rain

A MASSIVE operation to reinforce Yorkshire's flood defences was under way last night as Prince Charles pledged to use Royal influence to help one of Sheffield's key businesses destroyed by flooding

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?sectionid=55&articleid=2995260

Prince Charles and Duchy launch sandwiches
December 16

(...) Now Duchy Originals, his organic and free-range food and drinks label, is to go head with Pret A Manger, Marks&Spencer and other major brands by launching its first range of sandwiches nationwide.

Prince Charles and Duchy launch sandwiches - Telegraph

£3.69 for a sandwich? Be cheaper to have your stomach removed.

I've never been in a Starbucks in my life. I'd consider £4 a bit extreme for a sarnee but then I'm poor. Pretty but poor.

£3.69 for a sandwich? Be cheaper to have your stomach removed.
Darling BeatrixFan, you have to pay more than that if you are unfortunate enough to have a hunger attack at any UK airport and trust me they are not worth the wrapper they are wrapped in! :sick:

:lol: I just wonder what goes into one of these sandwiches to make it four quid. I mean, as organic as it might be, a McDonalds is only £3.99. Unless you go large in which case you're just a lard ball.

xXx

:lol: I just wonder what goes into one of these sandwiches to make it four quid. I mean, as organic as it might be, a McDonalds is only £3.99. Unless you go large in which case you're just a lard ball.
xXx
:ROFLMAO: I have never tried a MacDonalds, normal or large. Having tried some of the other Duchy originals, which I found to be delicious, I am sure the sandwiches will be worth every penny or four.:flowers:

I have to say I like the biscuits. Very good for cheese.

I have to say I like the biscuits. Very good for cheese.

BeatrixFan if you like McDonald's we have another chain called Burger King. Boy those hamburgers and fries I just love but the calories oh my goodness!!!.

I hope in a few years to visit Great Britian. I really would love to try Prince Charles' foods. I did hear he might bring his food to California and maybe there I will get a chance to taste it.:flowers:

We have Burger King here. I like Burger King burgers and McDonalds fries so I never get exactly what I want. Unless I go to KFC. Or Wendys - but they closed the local Wendys. And I cried.

You can order Duchy stuff online you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom