The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
If the Duke of Cornwall dies, and has no issue, does his younger brother become the Duke of corwall. or is it reverted to the crown untill the next oppurtunity arises?
If the Duke of Cornwall has no surviving legitimate issue, either male or female, the next eldest brother becomes the Duke of Cornwall.

Quote:
What if the next in line is a nephew/cousin to the king?!
The ducal title reverts to the Crown.

Quote:
Did George V become Duke of cornwall when his father became the king? Even though he wasn't the oldest son?
Yes, immediately upon King Edward VII's accession he became the Duke of Cornwall (actually George was holding two dukedoms, that of Cornwall and York, then). He was invested as the Prince of Wales later in the year.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks Mapple!

Old 06-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
If the Duke of Cornwall has no surviving legitimate issue, either male or female, the next eldest brother becomes the Duke of Cornwall.

The ducal title reverts to the Crown.

Yes, immediately upon King Edward VII's accession he became the Duke of Cornwall (actually George was holding two dukedoms, that of Cornwall and York, then). He was invested as the Prince of Wales later in the year.
Actually George V was never invested as POW in the way that either
Edward VIII or Prince Charles was. He was created POW on his father's birthday in 1901. Invested, to me, means some form of official ceremony, whereas created is simply the issuing of the Letters Patent, which is what happened in 1901. His father never had an investiture either.

He had come to Australia that year to open our first ever federal parliament as the Duke of Cornwall and York (up until the Queen's death it was expected that he would by only Duke of York when he opened the parliament but he had both titles by then).
Old 06-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
Actually George V was never invested as POW in the way that either
Edward VIII or Prince Charles was. He was created POW on his father's birthday in 1901. Invested, to me, means some form of official ceremony, whereas created is simply the issuing of the Letters Patent, which is what happened in 1901. His father never had an investiture either.

He had come to Australia that year to open our first ever federal parliament as the Duke of Cornwall and York (up until the Queen's death it was expected that he would by only Duke of York when he opened the parliament but he had both titles by then).
Quite so, I doubt that there was some kind of formal investiture for future George V, as this kind of formal ceremony is not necessary when creating someone PoW. Was there George's investiture in the Parliament at least then? I doubt it.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Majesty

My understanding is that there was no ceremony of any kind for either George V or Edward VII.

They were just created POW and that was it.

Edward VIII and Charles both had elaborate ceremonies in Carnarvon sometime after their actual creation as POW - Edward within a short time while for Charles 11 years later.

All four did have a formal taking of a seat in the House of Lords but that was due to the title of Duke of Cornwall (York for George V) not the title POW, and happened for every nobleman on gaining his title through creation or inheritance - royal duke or not. Only the present Earl of Wessex (as far as royals goes) hasn't done so due to the changes in the make-up of the House of Lords in 1999.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Royal Highness

The Duchy of Cornwall published a sustainability strategy for a green development in Newquay, Cornwall

The Prince of Wales - The Duchy of Cornwall publishes a sustainability strategy for a green development in Newquay, Cornwall
Old 02-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchy of Cornwall publishes a sustainability strategy for a green development in Newquay, Cornwall

A site to the east of Newquay in Cornwall, known as the Newquay Growth Area, has been earmarked for development by the local authority as a way of meeting the future local business, housing, educational and health needs in a sustainable way.
The Duchy of Cornwall is the majority landowner of the site and is working with the local authority, to create a new urban extension of Newquay that will champion sustainable development environmentally, socially and economically.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-17-2007, 08:00 PM

Duchy land

I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer.

When Prince Charles decided to build homes and stores on his Duchy land, do people buy the house but not the land? Can people sell their homes to anyone or do they need approval from the Duchy?
Old 02-18-2007, 04:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

You can also have a look at the Duchy website:

Duchy of Cornwall - Home Page - The Official Website for the Duchy of Cornwall

Usually, for property owned by something like the Duchy of Cornwall or the Crown Estates, people can buy the property leasehold rather than freehold, which means they're effectively buying a long lease on the property. They can sell the property, but they're selling the long lease, not selling the property outright. I'm not sure how the properties in Poundbury are sold; this article mentions something about both leasehold and freehold property:

CABE - Case Studies
Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 AM
Courtier

It reads like one of the USA neighbourhood associations.

You buy the house and land but its in a gated area controlled by a group you pay dues to (usually annually). The group says what outside features you can have (paint, decorations, garage size, fence height...etc) and in selling your house, they have to approve the next owners--who must agree to the rules and fees.

You own something but its like claiming your room and clothes in your parent's house. You can try and do what you want, but someone else has the final word.

Edit: removed some personal information after reconsider.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suonymona
You buy the house and land but its in a gated area controlled by a group you pay dues to (usually annually).
With leasehold, you do not have the opportunity to buy the land your house is built on. Although you own the house, you have to pay ground rent or a management fee. As you say, if you sell the house, the new owners have to sign a contract with the landowner, agreeing terms and conditions.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
With leasehold, you do not have the opportunity to buy the land your house is built on. Although you own the house, you have to pay ground rent or a management fee. As you say, if you sell the house, the new owners have to sign a contract with the landowner, agreeing terms and conditions.
It's the same arrangement for Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park. Prince Andrew and Prince Edward signed 99-year leaseholds from the Crown Estate and can make improvements and renovations, but do not own the property itself.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
It's the same arrangement for Royal Lodge and Bagshot Park. Prince Andrew and Prince Edward signed 99-year leaseholds from the Crown Estate and can make improvements and renovations, but do not own the property itself.
Indeed, unlike some grace and favour houses where even the interior decor has to be by agreement!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Indeed, unlike some grace and favour houses where even the interior decor has to be by agreement!
So did both of the Princes have to a draft of the renovations over to the Queen for her approval before work began?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:09 AM
Courtier

I would expect so.

Not just for a Mummy review but for the Crown to consider future implications.

And as for USA associations, people purchase condos all the time. They own the space but the land belongs to the building owner. They can tear the place down and the 'owners' can't say boo. Of course, no notification would bring the lawyers jackpots!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
So did both of the Princes have to a draft of the renovations over to the Queen for her approval before work began?
It would not have been the Queen, but probably a clerk of works who deals with the royal buildings. Even the royal houses have to adhere to the strict conservation rules.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Courtier

I'll try not to giggle too hard at your last line!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Courtier

I have just visited the websites of Duchy of Cornwall and Duchy Orginals. I find them so beautiful and delighted to vist. And a lot of information on it. I am going to read the annual report of Duchy of Cornwall. I am glad they have it on the website. I just hope that one day if Duchy Orginals becomes a listed company, then we will have a chance to read their annual report.

Duchy of Cornwall
Duchy of Cornwall - Home Page - The Official Website for the Duchy of Cornwall

they have information about Camilla The Duchess of Cornwall as well.It is interesting.:)

Duchy Originals
Duchy Originals

there are some nice recipes on the website
Old 03-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Aristocracy

Charles to keep right hand man | the Daily Mail

Sir Michael Peat just signed a new 7 year contract with Charles. This article proves what I saying about Peat a while ago. I knew even though he is technically Charles' private secretary he was the reason Charles' income from the Duchy had increased.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde View Post
Charles to keep right hand man | the Daily Mail

Sir Michael Peat just signed a new 7 year contract with Charles. This article proves what I saying about Peat a while ago. I knew even though he is technically Charles' private secretary he was the reason Charles' income from the Duchy had increased.
We do however have to bear in mind that this is an article by Kay and therefore may not be factually correct.

Tags
duchy of cornwall, duke of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales