The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Villagers brand Prince Charles a bully for sending them letters invoking ancient right to mine under their homes-
Villagers brand Prince Charles a bully for sending them letters invoking ancient right to mine under their homes | Mail Online
Something really seems totally off about this article. It took me a while thinking about it and perhaps things aren't exactly as they seem to be reported. Charles is too much of a naturalist and environmentalist to be trying to "bully" these homeowners.

Perhaps he's being cautious? It does say in the article that there are no plans to start mining. My thought is that perhaps he is invoking his rights for the sole reason that no one else could come along, buy up property and/or get permission to mine the area. There are a lot of not so altruistic people and companies out there that would just love to get their hands on the resources in that area. With the Duchy making clear that they own the rights, it'd stop anyone else dead in their tracks before they even think about how to get to the iridium or whatever else is there. Charles would be protecting the community rather than exploiting it.

Just my thoughts. It'd be interesting to see if Charles responds to this accusation.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:11 AM

Osipi, I have had the same thoughts. Neither he or the Duchy has a long history of destroying homes, community and nature for financial gain. Why start now?

Old 11-21-2013, 03:50 AM
Majesty

The Duchy has a long history of making as much money as possible and even questions have been asked in various places about how ethical some of Charles' practices have been with regards to the Duchy e.g. there was an incident with the sale of some trees and there is even the way he leases Highgrove that raises some questions about how honest the dealings are between Charles the man and the Duchy as an entity.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Duchy wants to ensure that they are the registered owners of the land for future mining - remembering that once Charles is King he no longer controls the Duchy and William doesn't come across as all that concerned about the environment and who knows what George's attitude will be.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:58 AM
Nobility

Why shouldn't they register their right? it is the last chance to do it, as with the new laws, they have to do it now, or they loose it.

What that has to do with bullying - i cannot understand.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockingGoodTime View Post
Osipi, I have had the same thoughts. Neither he or the Duchy has a long history of destroying homes, community and nature for financial gain. Why start now?
Mineral rights are a pretty mundane thing anyways. They don't normally have much to do with homes and communities.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
Why shouldn't they register their right? it is the last chance to do it, as with the new laws, they have to do it now, or they loose it.

What that has to do with bullying - i cannot understand.
I think the article is trying to say that these home owners are upset with the Duchy for stepping in and invoking their ancient rights to the subsoil and its minerals on the land their homes are on. They are making it seem as if the Duchy can and will come into the area and mine the land and think they are being bullies for claiming this right. They have until December to register a legal fight against the Duchy or if they don't reply, it will be taken as they agree to the Duchy's terms.

The Duchy says it has no plans whatsoever to start doing any kind of mining in the area. Charles is an astute businessman and perhaps he's caught wind of other communities being depleted of its natural resources and is stepping up, invoking the Duchy's right to the subsoil and ores to protect the area. It would seem more in character with the PoW for him to want to preserve an area rather than deplete it and with this measure, anyone would have to go through the Duchy of Cornwall to mine that area.

As Iluvbertie says, we don't know what William and George will think about mining the natural resources in the future, but IMO, Charles and the Duchy doing this is ensuring that it'll be there for William and George to tend to in years to come.

I realize this is a Daily Mail article but I do think they went out of their way to malign Charles and it annoys me.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
...William doesn't come across as all that concerned about the environment...
William's interest in conservation, particularly in Africa, indicate that he is very concerned about the environment. Of course only time will tell if he is as passionate as Charles.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:36 AM
Majesty

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 28 Nov
A bill in parliament to allow the eldest child of the Sovereign to hold the Duchy of Cornwall is in Committee Stage in the Lord on 6th Dec.

Presently, only the eldest son of the Sovereign (and heir) can hold the Duchy of Cornwall - the bill will change that to eldest child & heir

The bill implies that an eldest female child would still be styled ‘Duke of Cornwall’ and not Duchess, though this isn’t that unusual.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-30-2013, 01:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The bill implies that an eldest female child would still be styled ‘Duke of Cornwall’ and not Duchess, though this isn’t that unusual.
If that's the plan with the Duchy, then I wonder if a similar plan will be undertaken with PoW...
Old 11-30-2013, 03:25 AM
Majesty

Prince of Wales is just a title with no financial benefits. The Duchy provides the heir apparent with an income so when there is a female as heiress apparent (which still isn't the case in the UK as the other realms haven't bothered to pass the act as it isn't necessary) she will also have an income - won't be necessary now for probably at around 60 years anyway - until George is king and if his first born is a girl.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:18 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
If that's the plan with the Duchy, then I wonder if a similar plan will be undertaken with PoW...
Maybe, but legislation isn't needed for that, so Parliament won't have to be involved.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, Bertie, I wasn't aware of that myself.

My point was purely related to the title and not any legislature - which of course wouldn't be necessary - or finances. Traditionally "Prince of Wales" has been a title for the heir apparent, while "Princess of Wales" has been seen as a lesser title denoting the spouse of the PoW.

If the plan is to have the Duchy remain in the hands of the Duke of Cornwall - regardless of the Duke's gender - then the intent might also be to have the heir apparent be titled Prince of Wales also regardless of gender. This would be similar to how the monarch is always the Duke of Lancaster or the Lord of Man, regardless of the monarch's actual gender.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Serene Highness

While they are trying to make a female heir eligible for the Cornwall title, why not just change it to the heir apparent taking out the provision that the person is the monarch's child? If Charles died today, William is the heir apparent and can be named PoW but isn't the Duke of Cornwall because he isn't the monarch's son. The same thing could happen with George if William dies during his father's reign. If you are the heir apparent, you should be duke of Cornwall if regardless of sex or if you are grandson/granddaughter.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Nobility

And Rebecca English of course, with her misleading articles.

Prince Charles benefits from new 45p rate as total income rises by 7.3% to £21.7m | Mail Online

Bill for Kensington palace renovation rockets to add room for cosy suppers | Mail Online
Old 07-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Prince Charles to splurge £5m on tragic heir's estate | Mail Online
24 July 2014

[NB the headline is misleading as the Duchy of Cornwall is in negotiations to buy the land, not Prince Charles personally.]

Charles to splurge £5m on tragic heir's estate

Having made the biggest gamble of his life with the £45 million purchase of decaying Palladian mansion Dumfries House in Scotland, Prince Charles is about to make another eye-catching investment. The heir to the throne is planning to spend millions on vast chunks of the historic Cornish estate that will host the fashionable annual Port Eliot arts festival this weekend.

The Duchy of Cornwall will buy more than 800 acres of land, farmhouses and outbuildings from Charles's bohemian friend the Earl of St Germans, who lives at the 123-room Port Eliot house, which has its own church and celebrated gardens. ‘The Duchy is in advanced negotiations regarding the purchase of part of the Port Eliot estate,’ confirms a Clarence House spokesman. ‘The negotiations do not include the house.’

The land was put on the market, in nine lots worth a combined £4.7 million, last October by the 73-year-old earl, Peregrine Eliot. His party-loving son and heir Jago, who founded the arts festival, was found dead in the bath at the age of 40 in 2006 after suffering an epileptic fit.

The Duchy generated £31.4 million in the last financial year.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

The land was put on the market, in nine lots worth a combined £4.7 million, last October by the 73-year-old earl, Peregrine Eliot. His party-loving son and heir Jago, who founded the arts festival, was found dead in the bath at the age of 40 in 2006 after suffering an epileptic fit.
Actually, from reading the article, I think this will be a marvelous investment for the Duchy of Cornwall. Its not only the fact that Charles is friends of the family, but also a way of preserving the arts festival itself. Charles is very much a keen , astute businessman so I'm apt to believe that if he thinks this is a good investment, it most likely is.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Courtier

Hypocrisy with a capital HRH! That's what the locals think of Prince Charles' new rural development | Daily Mail Online

Tags
duchy of cornwall, duke of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales