The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 13: January 2010-September 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I adore Camilla and agree with the general sentiment of the piece but 750 engagements last year? A typo surely. Not even Charles or Anne carried out that many duties.

I adore Camilla and agree with the general sentiment of the piece but 750 engagements last year? A typo surely. Not even Charles or Anne carried out that many duties.

I think that they may have added hers to his - if you see what I mean.

I agree with the sentiment in this piece, but I don't trust the DM and wonder what is to follow. But maybe I will be proven wrong (I hope so)

I think her current titles fits her very well and she has worked very hard as being The Duchess of Cornwall. I don't even think she would want her titled changed.

She is a wise woman and knew it would be better to be Duchess of Cornwall. She could carve out her own niche and not have the problems of POW. She has done her job, admirably and if not for the choices made long before, she would have made a good wife for Charles all the time. Unfortunately, other people were hurt, but that cannot be undone.

Nice to see Camilla enjoying sometime away and relaxing.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but I find it interesting how the DM is reporting that Camilla is on vacation while Charles "remained at home, still saddened by the death of a close friend" when we know that Charles is at the Highland Games with his parents and certainly doesn't look "saddened" - http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/17...D3i8hULhrLf6es9Nh7wkUU4/LSGJNk/1H/WdlkXyb2A==

I think that he may be too saddened to go on a holiday with his wife but regards Braemar as a duty so he will put on a brave face for that - like we all do after the death of a friend - we go to work and look brave but don't feel like going away to enjoy themselves relaxing particularly if there is some memories of that friend in those activities.

As someone who is today remembering the passing of my father 2 years ago today - I do understand his feelings - I could go to work and face that 'duty' but to go on a holiday that I had done with my Dad was something I haven't been able to do to this day - my mother past away nearly 7 years ago and I haven't done any of the activities I would have done in the past with them simply beacause the emotions are too raw.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I thought that there was anything wrong or untimely about Charles' behaviour, or that he isn't grieving.

What I more meant is that the article is - at least the way I read it - implying that Camilla went off on a holiday, leaving her grieving husband behind by himself. I felt like they wanted me to have this image of Charles, alone in a drafty castle with only a bottle of gin to comfort him in this time - when we know that he's actually with his parents at the games (regardless of whether his presence there is because of a sense of duty or a vacation). Sure drafty castles and gin may still be present, but in a different context.

To me what seems more likely (than what I'm feeling is implied by the DM article) is that this vacation was planned some time back, as was Charles' trip to the games. For whatever reason, Camilla chose not to be with Charles while he attended the games (I'm not implying anything there, I don't know if she usually does or not) well before the death. Given how the pair of them always seem to have a genuine closeness, I wouldn't be surprised if after the death they discussed this separation and decided together that Camilla should still go on her vacation while Charles goes to the games (although that is my own assumption).

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but I find it interesting how the DM is reporting that Camilla is on vacation while Charles "remained at home, still saddened by the death of a close friend" when we know that Charles is at the Highland Games with his parents and certainly doesn't look "saddened" - http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/17...D3i8hULhrLf6es9Nh7wkUU4/LSGJNk/1H/WdlkXyb2A==

I simply chose to not take the DM bait. As another older lady, I was interested in her swimwear (we really have a lot in common ;)) and I liked the chatty photo with her sister.

The DOC was in a no win situation. Had she gone home the headline would have been about her rushing home to comfort the Prince's loss of friend and former resident of Charles and Camilla's love nest - Anmer Hall.

Sometimes, I try to guess what slams the DM will hurl before I read the stories. Their pictures are the best, though.

Every year when Camilla goes on vacation with her family without Charles the papers criticizes about something.

Every year when Camilla goes on vacation with her family without Charles the papers criticizes about something.

Yeps. Seems that there's trouble if they're not permanently joined at the hip. I envy Camilla her alone time sometimes.

It seems to me as if some people can't get their heads around the idea that couples can spend time apart and still be happy.

It seems to me as if some people can't get their heads around the idea that couples can spend time apart and still be happy.
I agree, but I have said the same thing on other threads but someone always responds that they could not imagine ever having a separate vacation from their spouse which always seemed like a sign of insecurity to me.

I agree, but I have said the same thing on other threads but someone always responds that they could not imagine ever having a separate vacation from their spouse which always seemed like a sign of insecurity to me.

I suppose having grown up with parents who even lived 200 miles apart due to work commitments (and claimed until their dying days that those two years made their marriage stronger) as well as taking holidays apart, and seeing my siblings and myself do this I agree. I couldn't stand to always have my partner with me - I enjoy my annual two weeks away from him doing 'my thing' while he goes away and does his.

Well, even with his late wife, sometimes Charles prefers to vacation alone while his wife takes her time off elsewhere.

I suppose having grown up with parents who even lived 200 miles apart due to work commitments (and claimed until their dying days that those two years made their marriage stronger) as well as taking holidays apart, and seeing my siblings and myself do this I agree. I couldn't stand to always have my partner with me - I enjoy my annual two weeks away from him doing 'my thing' while he goes away and does his.

I know what you mean. Over my parents 60+ yr marriage they also took their own vacations. He liked to go off fishing/shooting/golfing and she liked to go off shopping in Paris/Milan or NYC or sunning in the South of France. They saw no reason why either should do something they did not want to. Of course there were also family vacations with their children and when we were off at school they would take their own vacation together traveling or a cruise which was their "together time". They kept up the routine well into their 80s. For their children this seemed perfectly normal and we all seem to have a similar habit.

Last edited:
Well, even with his late wife, sometimes Charles prefers to vacation alone while his wife takes her time off elsewhere.

That is true from the mid/late-80s after the marriage had 'irretrievably broken down'. Diana and Charles did holiday together in the early 80s and would go skiing together until the public breakdown of their marriage when there was no need to pretend in public at all.

They still went on vacations together even after all of that but I guess it's normal to get away for a while with friends. Camilla looked like she was enjoying herself. Charles likes to get on with his painting and his gardening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom