The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Clever Camilla! Duchess of Cornwall becomes first female chancellor of Aberdeen University:
Clever Camilla! Duchess of Cornwall becomes first female chancellor of Aberdeen University | Mail Online
It looks like the day went well and I am happy for her. But as someone with an advanced degree married to a college professor I always find these honorary doctorates a little annoying. At my husband's University last week an husband-and-wife who gave a large contribution to the business school were both awarded honorary doctorates. One of them doesn't have a college degree but they both are very wealthy realtors. On the other hand, my husband completed four years of college, two years a Masters degree. Then in three years received a PhD . After many years of research ,teaching , travel time he became a full professor and a division chief by the age of 45 . He still doesn't get paid nearly enough. But he said that's just the way it is --in universities honorary degrees are often given to wealthy contributors or high-profile people who can to bring money into university

He just reminded me that Mike Tyson has an honorary doctorate. When he received it he said I don't know what kind of doctor I am but I hope I'm not a gynecologist .( smile).

Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Serene Highness

Meanwhile at Wimbledon :

Wimbledon 2013: Duchess of Cornwall shares a joke with Tim Henman as she visits Wimbledon | Mail Online

Old 06-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here are some more pics:

** zimbio/gettyimages gallery: Wimbledon Tennis Championships: Day 4 **

** zimbio/PacificCoastNews.com gallery: Camilla Parker Bowles Sits in Centre Court's Royal Box **

** zimbio/PacificCoastNews.com gallery: Camilla Parker Bowles Arrives a the Wimbledon Tennis Courts **
Old 07-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Majesty

Down the hatch, Duchess! Camilla cools down with a glass of local fizz after sweltering tour of Hampshire vineyard:
Duchess of Cornwall shines in the summer sun as she takes a tour of a Hampshire vineyard | Mail Online

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

I like the pic with the umbrella and the flowers!

** dailyecho.co.uk: Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visits Sir Harold Hillier Gardens **

** portsmouth.co.uk: Duchess of Cornwall opens Hampshire winery **

Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

A lovely looking Duchess of Cornwall at the Hampton Court Palace Flower Show today, July 10, 2013:

** gettyimages/daylife ** zimbio/gettyimages **
Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Serene Highness

DM article :

Camilla Duchess of Cornwall wears floral dress Hampton Court Palace | Mail Online
Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Majesty

Happy Birthday to HRH The Duchess of Cornwall.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Serene Highness

I know some people would die from apoplexy if it turns to be indeed the case :

The ultimate birthday present for Camilla? As the Duchess of Cornwall celebrates turning 66 will the Royal baby share her big day? | Mail Online
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...e-big-day.html
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Camilla's, Duchess of Cornwall, 66th birthday
Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homme View Post
This isn't a current event but I'll put it here and the mods can move it if they like.
It's time to stop snubbing Camilla | Mail Online
About time someone wrote a piece giving her credit for what she's done. She's handled an enormously difficult situation with grace and tact and her contributions should be acknowledged.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Nobility

I adore Camilla and agree with the general sentiment of the piece but 750 engagements last year? A typo surely. Not even Charles or Anne carried out that many duties.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I adore Camilla and agree with the general sentiment of the piece but 750 engagements last year? A typo surely. Not even Charles or Anne carried out that many duties.
I think that they may have added hers to his - if you see what I mean.

I agree with the sentiment in this piece, but I don't trust the DM and wonder what is to follow. But maybe I will be proven wrong (I hope so)

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Majesty

I think her current titles fits her very well and she has worked very hard as being The Duchess of Cornwall. I don't even think she would want her titled changed.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

She is a wise woman and knew it would be better to be Duchess of Cornwall. She could carve out her own niche and not have the problems of POW. She has done her job, admirably and if not for the choices made long before, she would have made a good wife for Charles all the time. Unfortunately, other people were hurt, but that cannot be undone.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Good for Camilla - she got some play time.

Camilla's simple holiday: A £20 M&S swimsuit and a gripping novel (but she is on a £50million yacht) | Mail Online
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Majesty

Nice to see Camilla enjoying sometime away and relaxing.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-08-2013, 12:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but I find it interesting how the DM is reporting that Camilla is on vacation while Charles "remained at home, still saddened by the death of a close friend" when we know that Charles is at the Highland Games with his parents and certainly doesn't look "saddened" - http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/179...dlkXyb2A%3d%3d
Old 09-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Majesty

I think that he may be too saddened to go on a holiday with his wife but regards Braemar as a duty so he will put on a brave face for that - like we all do after the death of a friend - we go to work and look brave but don't feel like going away to enjoy themselves relaxing particularly if there is some memories of that friend in those activities.

As someone who is today remembering the passing of my father 2 years ago today - I do understand his feelings - I could go to work and face that 'duty' but to go on a holiday that I had done with my Dad was something I haven't been able to do to this day - my mother past away nearly 7 years ago and I haven't done any of the activities I would have done in the past with them simply beacause the emotions are too raw.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I thought that there was anything wrong or untimely about Charles' behaviour, or that he isn't grieving.

What I more meant is that the article is - at least the way I read it - implying that Camilla went off on a holiday, leaving her grieving husband behind by himself. I felt like they wanted me to have this image of Charles, alone in a drafty castle with only a bottle of gin to comfort him in this time - when we know that he's actually with his parents at the games (regardless of whether his presence there is because of a sense of duty or a vacation). Sure drafty castles and gin may still be present, but in a different context.

To me what seems more likely (than what I'm feeling is implied by the DM article) is that this vacation was planned some time back, as was Charles' trip to the games. For whatever reason, Camilla chose not to be with Charles while he attended the games (I'm not implying anything there, I don't know if she usually does or not) well before the death. Given how the pair of them always seem to have a genuine closeness, I wouldn't be surprised if after the death they discussed this separation and decided together that Camilla should still go on her vacation while Charles goes to the games (although that is my own assumption).

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall