The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The way I kind of see it is that she could be called any of the following:
- Camilla, The Duchess of of Cornwall
- Mrs. Charles Mountbatten-Windsor
- Mrs. Charles Wales
- Mrs. Charles Cornwall
- Ms. Camilla Parker Bowles
- Ms. Camilla Shand

The surnames should not be mixed with the title, and the most accurate name to use is Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall as it is the name that she's expressed a desire to be known as.
How about Ms Camilla Mountbatten-Windsor? Surely if she's to be known by either of her husband's surnames, it ought to be that of the man to whom she is currently married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
I hope you've noticed that it's not been my choice to call her that way, but the need to quote the given caption correctly. Citation rules come first
Of course, iceflower. It was Zimbio who described her incorrectly.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

How about Ms Camilla Mountbatten-Windsor? Surely if she's to be known by either of her husband's surnames, it ought to be that of the man to whom she is currently married.
Her first name His last name is more typically associated with divorced and not married women. I did list the Mountbatten-Windsor option, just as Mrs. Charles instead of Ms. Camilla. Of course if Camilla wanted to be Ms. Camilla (or even Mrs. Camilla) Mountbatten-Windsor it's entirely her right to do so. I just didn't list either for simplification reasons (I didn't feel the need to include 3 Mountbatten-Windsor combinations).

Old 05-16-2013, 04:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Her first name His last name is more typically associated with divorced and not married women. I did list the Mountbatten-Windsor option, just as Mrs. Charles instead of Ms. Camilla. Of course if Camilla wanted to be Ms. Camilla (or even Mrs. Camilla) Mountbatten-Windsor it's entirely her right to do so. I just didn't list either for simplification reasons (I didn't feel the need to include 3 Mountbatten-Windsor combinations).
Fair enough.

I know it's traditional for a married woman, but I have a personal objection to a woman being described merely as Mrs (husband's first name) (husband's surname) as I feel it deprives the woman of her own identity and relegates her to being merely an extension of her husband.

I think HRH looked very smart at the Rory McEwen Art Exhibition.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Fair enough.

I know it's traditional for a married woman, but I have a personal objection to a woman being described merely as Mrs (husband's first name) (husband's surname) as I feel it deprives the woman of her own identity and relegates her to being merely an extension of her husband.

I think HRH looked very smart at the Rory McEwen Art Exhibition.
I totally get that.

She could also be Mrs. (or Ms.) Shand-Mountbatten-Windsor if she wants.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
The way I kind of see it is that she could be called any of the following:
- Camilla, The Duchess of of Cornwall
- Mrs. Charles Mountbatten-Windsor
- Mrs. Charles Wales
- Mrs. Charles Cornwall
- Ms. Camilla Parker Bowles
- Ms. Camilla Shand

The surnames should not be mixed with the title, and the most accurate name to use is Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall as it is the name that she's expressed a desire to be known as.
I agree with the above but it seems like Zimbio, Rex features, Getty and other press sites will continue to reference her with the name she originally came to the public attention which is Camilla Parker Bowles. The POW and the DOC been married now since 2005 and really should be called by her current married name.

I guess it's hard when a movie star marries--most are Always referred to by their original public/famous . For example Catherine Zeta Jones is always referred to as that instead of Mrs. Michael Douglas. Julia Roberts has been married for at least seven years and two children but she's not referred as Mrs. M but as Julia Roberts . Same with Meryl Streep whose been married for over 30 years . But the difference
Is that those women are professionals with a name associated with their body work.

Camilla was a private citizen ( albeit a notorious one for awhile). so I think it would be very easy for Zimbio , Rex features and others to refer to her by her current correct married name.

If. you do a search of any of these picture websites or Google or for Camilla Shand or Camilla Mountbatten-Windsor or the DOC you are
directed to Camilla Parker Bowles entries .
Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 AM
Royal Highness

I think the major difference between Camilla (and other royals) and female celebrities like the ones that you mentioned is that often the celebrity choses to remain known by their more famous name, while Camilla has made it apparent that she would rather be known as Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (or some variation of names associated with her second husband) than as Camilla Parker Bowles.

Catherine Zeta Jones continues to be credited in movies and other roles as Catherine Zeta Jones, not Catherine Douglas or some variation thereof. It's similar with many other female celebrities. However, other female celebrities post marriage have changed how they're credited and as such press commentary tends to change as well - when she was married, Courtney Cox went by Courtney Cox Arquette and was called as such.

Women should have the right to be referred to in the press by the name that they have indicated that they want to be known as. Camilla no longer wants to be known by Parker Bowles, so the press should respect that.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Confusion

Another thing that really can throw monkeys into the works in putting a title into written text is simply the rules of writing. Sometimes you'll see The Duchess of Cambridge but the T starts the sentence. Or you'll see Jenny Jones and the Duchess of Cambridge attended etc.

It does irriteate me to see Camilla still called Parker-Bowles and Kate referred to as Middleton but that's the press for you. At least here at TRF we can just state Camilla or Kate or HM and people know who we're talking about.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Quote:
Of course, iceflower. It was Zimbio who described her incorrectly.

Good to know that there has not been any misunderstanding

The Duchess of Cornwall attended the first day of the Devon County Show at Westpoint, Exeter, today, May 16. It's been her third visit to the county's largest annual event and she was the guest of The Hon George Lopes, this year's Show President.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** itv.com: Devon County Show **

** gettyimages/zimbio: Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall Attends The Devon County Show **

** northdevonjournal.co.uk: PHOTOS: Thousands attend first day of Devon County Show 2013 **
Old 05-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The Duchess of Cornwall attended the first day of the Devon County Show at Westpoint, Exeter, today, May 16. It's been her third visit to the county's largest annual event and she was the guest of The Hon George Lopes, this year's Show President.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** gettyimages/zimbio: Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall Attends The Devon County Show **

** northdevonjournal.co.uk: PHOTOS: Thousands attend first day of Devon County Show 2013 **
Looks like an active week for Camilla again. Very good to see her out and about. That said, it has been a while since we have seen Charles and Camilla do an "Away Day" together.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

More great photos of Camilla out and about. She really seems to enjoy these country shows and seems relaxed and comfortable discharging her duties.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I love the picture of the Duchess among the people, especially with children. The photo of her talking with the two little girls is just delightful.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I love the picture of the Duchess among the people, especially with children. The photo of her talking with the two little girls is just delightful.
Oh, that photo is just precious!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

My hat is off to the Duchess, yet again. Yesterday could have been awkward on that large round stone in the center of the Sentable Garden, with Harry (appropriately) gushing, Pa admiring, the designer explaining. The Duchess was all smiles, pleasantly in the background. Well handled, bless her.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

The Duchess of Cornwall reviewed the Founder's Day Parade, Royal Hospital Chelsea, London today, June 6, 2013.

Looks like it's been a great, sunny and colourful event for all!

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: The Duchess Of Cornwall Visits The Royal Hospital Chelsea **
Old 06-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

DM article :

A little bird told me you like gin very much! Duchess of Cornwall delights 94-year-old war veteran with an usual gift at Royal Chelsea Hospital | Mail Online
Old 06-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Fair enough.

ITA, it's very sexist. But it's a generational thing. My 88 year old Mother in Law would have a FIT if anyone addresses a letter to her as Mrs. Jane Smith. I'ts Mrs Stanley Smith Junior, thank you very much.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

The Duchess of Cornwall was made Aberdeen University chancellor during a ceremony at the University of Aberdeen today, June 10, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** zimbio gallery **

** thecourier.co.uk: Camilla made Aberdeen University chancellor **

** dailymail: Clever Camilla! Duchess of Cornwall becomes first female chancellor of Aberdeen University **
Old 06-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Today (June 10) The Duchess of Rothesay will be formally installed as Chancellor of the University of Aberdeen

From the University:

HRH The Duchess of Rothesay to be installed as new University Chancellor | The University of Aberdeen

Her speech from the PoW website:

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/med...-chancellor-of

Picture from BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-22799372

According to Richard Palmer of the Express on Twitter

Another milestone for Camilla: the Duchess of Cornwall was installed as the first female chancellor of Aberdeen University today.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Clever Camilla! Duchess of Cornwall becomes first female chancellor of Aberdeen University:
Clever Camilla! Duchess of Cornwall becomes first female chancellor of Aberdeen University | Mail Online

The Honourable Frances Shand Kydd
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Congrats to the DOC on the Doctorate in Laws!

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall