The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 AM
Heir Apparent

It's already been modified to add the order circlet.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Majesty

I believe so. According to Wikipedia, which has been updated with this news the insignia of the GCVO is appended. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Scroll down to the section on Coat of Arms and you can see a picture of her Coat of Arms but I don't know if the picture is any different to the one that was there last week.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ah thanks Madame, well spotted. I have to say Camilla's got a pretty groovy coat of arms now.

Iluvbertie, check out the 1st post of this thread, as Madame pointed out it's already been updated with the circlet that says Victoria!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Very happy for her !!!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Elizabeth II honors Camilla in her seventh wedding anniversary with Charles
Isabel II condecora a Camilla en su séptimo aniversario de boda con Carlos | Realeza | Noticias hola.com

Google Google Translate
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Congrats to Camilla.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
This is another large statement by The Queen that she does approve of Camilla. The first statement was the day they married with the huge flag put up over Windsor Castle instead of the normal flag. The the Durbar Tiara - the one that Queen Mary wore for the Delhi Durbar in 1911, which Camilla has been allowed to wear. There can be no doubt that The Queen supports Charles' choice of second wife and sees her as a valuable asset to the family, probably because she has made her eldest son and heir so happy.
Can't agree more! We can ad that the RFO awarded in 2007 was a pretty good sign of approval too :

Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The first statement was the day they married with the huge flag put up over Windsor Castle instead of the normal flag
Such sentiment seems rather exaggerated to me. It was afterall the Queen's personal standard which flew over Windsor, and it really set the ambience of the occasion. A senior royal wedding in what is arguably the most senior royal residence in Britain, which happens to be the home of the most senior person in the land.

Not to mention that a great deal of the worlds media were present within the grounds that day, beaming footage all around the world, so it made perfect sense that such a sizeable flag should have been flown.

I more or less saw it as an indication of the Queen welcoming the eyes of the world into her home and really quite unrelated to Camilla, personally.

The spectacle of the performance is afterall what the monarchy provides the masses.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I more or less saw it as an indication of the Queen welcoming the eyes of the world into her home and really quite unrelated to Camilla, personally.

The spectacle of the performance is afterall what the monarchy provides the masses.
You may see it that way but imo everything about that wedding was about Camilla personally. After the way Camilla had been villified by Charles' first wife and the press - the Queen was making a statement writ large about her new daughter-in-law.

In as close to a private wedding as they could get - not a 'spectacle of the performance ' - it was all about Camilla, the bride. It was not about the Queen except in-so-far as she gave her blessing. The rest was about that shivering woman, Camilla, on Charles' arm that day.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You may see it that way but imo everything about that wedding was about Camilla personally.
And you may see it like that, but to my reasoned sense of logic, I do not. Least of all where personal standards are concerned. If any such standard was to be representative of Camilla, then it would have been that of the Prince of Wales and not the sovereign. Again, her residence, her flag, and an appropriate opportunity to fly one of such bearing.

And of course it is about spectacle. It's about the grandeur, the pomp, the ceremony and quite naturally the location. I dare suggest that If you think it isn't then perhaps your understanding of how the monarchy functions, as a visual presence, is not as well considered as you may like (?) to believe.

The occasion was about Charles and Camilla, but the spectacle itself was yet another insight into the commanding world of royalty for all to see. And it was on display proudly.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
If you think it isn't then perhaps your understanding of how monarchy functions, as a visual presence, is not as well considered as you may like (?) to believe.
Do I like to believe that? Thank you for telling me what I believe. Grrrr - Woof!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Merely noting the possibility. No where did I tell you what you believe.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Serene Highness

Well don't know about the flag but to make everyone happy the illumination of the round tower of Windsor the eve of the engagement of Charles and Camilla was clearly a gesture from the Queen .
Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

It's not uncommon for landmarks to be illuminated prior to such grand events taking place. Though by no means am I suggesting that it wasn't a gesture in recognition of the upcoming wedding as it most likely was. Much like the illumination of Buckingham Palace during various occasions of note.

This was afterall the wedding/blessing ceremony of the heir apparent.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM

Am I alone in thinking that the Royals making awards like this to each other makes the monarchy seem self-obsessed and out of touch? I am not a republican, I want to see the UK monarchy continue but the sight of them covered in medals and awards, from each other, does not sit comfortably with me.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Courtier

Personally I think it can be read in both ways and thus very one can be happy. I think the large royal standard is always used on such occasions (it was also used for the Cambridge's wedding and I'm sure I've seen a painting somewhere of a similar sized flag being used over Windsor during Victoria's reign) However the Queen could have not asked for the flag to be flow on the tower illuminated if she really wanted to snub Camilla, no-one would have known if she'd said no, so the fact she didn't say no itself was IMO a sign that the Queen was happy to celebrate what was an important and happy day for her eldest son.

Anyway back to the issue in hand, I wonder when we'll first get to see Camilla in her new order, with the Jubilee upon us I can't imagine we'll have to wait too long.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Serene Highness

Well for once we have some proof about that :

"And the Round Tower at Windsor was illuminated on the instructions of the Queen. "

Charles & Camilla The Royal Wedding: DOWN ON ONE'S KNEE; CAMILLA: I'm just coming down to earth CHARLES: I'm very happy ..I'm so excited. - Free Online Library

"Prince Charles and his longtime love, Camilla Parker Bowles, arrived at Windsor Castle tonight beneath an illuminated Round Tower, specially lit on order of the Queen to celebrate their engagement."

Charles and Camilla to marry | UK news | guardian.co.uk

But you're right it's not uncommon to see illuminated buildings prior to big royal events. A nice touch anyway...
Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEckhoff View Post
Am I alone in thinking that the Royals making awards like this to each other makes the monarchy seem self-obsessed and out of touch? I am not a republican, I want to see the UK monarchy continue but the sight of them covered in medals and awards, from each other, does not sit comfortably with me.
I see nothing wrong with recognizing service to the monarch, and thus to the nation.
Do you have the same view of the corporate world where awards are given to recognize employees, such as salesman of the year or service anniversary awards? What about military personel who receive long service or jubilee medals? The concept is pretty much the same.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEckhoff View Post
I know this is a thread about Camilla so I'll try not to wander off topic too much. I agree with you in regard to service medals and the like, I always think even though I hugely respect Princess Anne seeing her in full military uniform with a haul of medals is a bit disrespectful to service men and women (though I'm not 100% sure what each medal she has means and I'm sure each Royal has to earn them).
However in regard to awards such as the RVO and the garter etc I just feel its a great British tradition that's not hurting anyone, why shouldn't the Queen reward her family for their public service? There are times when it is indeed inappropriate, like when Andrew was awarded a new honor in the midst of a scandal last year but on the whole and in Camilla's case I agree with it.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I don't understand why not? It is yet again but an element that agreeably disntinguishes them apart from us. It is at the sovereigns pleasure as to who he/she confers such an honour upon, and it is arguably the only order which the monarch has sole jurisdiction over as it has absolutely nothing to do with the state.

I dont at all think it makes them appear out of touch or self-obsessed. Quite the contrary. It's maintaining a sense of continuity that really has little to no impact on the community, but adds to the performance, be it an honourable one, that is the monarchy.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall